Newbie looking for advice re: Audio Interfaces

Author
localjoker
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2008/10/22 15:57:19 (permalink)

Newbie looking for advice re: Audio Interfaces

Just recently bought Sonar Home Studio 7. Until recently I had been running an old version of CakeWalk Pro Audio focusing exclusively on MIDI but am now anxious to include Audio which requires additional hardware that I am unfamiliar with. In doing a bit of research regarding Audio interfaces I am getting mixed messages re: Firewire vs. USB. Is one better than another for avoiding latency problems? Are there Audio Interfaces that work better with Sonar? Are there particular nuances to Audio interfaces I should know about to avoid making a purchase mistake? Any advice to steer me in the right direction would be welcomed.

Thanks lcljkr

2 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Newbie looking for advice re: Audio Interfaces 2008/10/22 16:15:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: localjoker

Just recently bought Sonar Home Studio 7. Until recently I had been running an old version of CakeWalk Pro Audio focusing exclusively on MIDI but am now anxious to include Audio which requires additional hardware that I am unfamiliar with. In doing a bit of research regarding Audio interfaces I am getting mixed messages re: Firewire vs. USB. Is one better than another for avoiding latency problems? Are there Audio Interfaces that work better with Sonar? Are there particular nuances to Audio interfaces I should know about to avoid making a purchase mistake? Any advice to steer me in the right direction would be welcomed.

Thanks lcljkr

Good drivers are first to consider. RME, Lynx, Echo, Edirol, and M-Audio are good brands and tend to keep their drivers updated. The lowest latency you can achieve also depends on how fast your computer is.

Both Firewire and USB2 are plenty fast enough for audio and interfaces are available for both. Firewire tends to use less CPU then USB2 so many brands offer most of their models in firewire. However, if you have a new computer with a multi-core CPU it may not matter that much because you have enough CPU to spare. Again, it's all in how good the drivers are and how fast your computer is.

Keep in mind latency is mainly an issue if you use software synths (midi sound modules) or want to monitor with effects while recording audio. If you don't do those things then you can use the built in mixer on the interface to set up zero latency monitoring. Some of the new ones even have some effects built in to use while monitoring to give you confidence while tracking.

If you are going to play software synths and need to hear them in real time then you need to get the lowest latency you can. In some cases you can get it low enough by freeing up as much CPU power as possible. You can do this by only having one software synth at a time in the project and freeze or bounce the ones that are finished. Also, avoid using effects plugins till you get ready to mix.

If you are just recording audio and using the zero latency mixer in your interface (via it's software mixer that installs with the driver) then you can leave input monitoring off in Sonar and not worry about latency.
    post edited by ohhey - 2008/10/22 16:21:38
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Newbie looking for advice re: Audio Interfaces 2008/10/22 16:19:32 (permalink)
    Welcome Localjoker....

I use firewire saffire. my website has a link to it.

Firewire is a bit more stable and generally has lower latency than USB but with todays modern stuff either will do a good job...

Firewire tends to cost a little more, but it is also superior to USB. I'd opt for firewire...barring budget constraints.

Check to see that you have or could add a firewire port to your computer.

The biggest question is how many inputs will you need to have active at the same time, and does your software platform support that many inputs at the same time.

Is the price in your budget range.

You need to get an interface that supports AUDIO & MIDI in the same package.... it just make life simpler.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1