Newbie question: audio recording

Author
rwolt
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
2006/02/09 20:19:57 (permalink)

Newbie question: audio recording

I'm making progress learning, but now need help. I've made a MIDI recording and want to convert to audio. I've used a MIDI keyboard as a controller, but used the soundcard's sounds. I created the audio track, made sure that "recording" was checked under "adjust volume for", clicked the "stereo mix", etc. When I click the "R" to arm the track and to check for the audio level, I get no illuminated red "R" and no levels show (although the playback is OK). I realize I'm doing something fundamentally wrong or I've omitted something. Any help? Thanks.

1 Reply Related Threads

TGRANT
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Newbie question: audio recording 2006/02/09 21:15:44 (permalink)
    The easy way to make a MIDI track into an audio track is to do the following. You must have a MIDI track to start with.

Add an audio track to the project. You also need to add one of the DXI synths to the program. You do this by going to the toolbar on the top selecting insert, then dxi synth from the drop down box.

Go to MIDI track and select the ‘out’. You should now have as one of your selections in the drop down box the DXI Synth you added. Cakewalk ships with two, but there are others you can download (Other posts cover that so I won’t go into it) . Set this as the out. Do likewise for the IN of the audio track.

Then highlighting both tracks, select the EDIT button from the toolbar, and select ‘bounce to tracks’.

Select a new track form the box that appears, then press go. The MIDI track will then bounce through the audio track and create an audio file from the MIDI track. The idea is that the DXI synth converts the MIDI file into an audio file (WAV) by synthesizing the sound through the DXI synth software.

In most cases Cakewalk will select the voice you have chosen for the MIDI track, but you may have to manually set the voice of the synth. You should be able to sort through that on your own.

Make sure the MIDI track is what you want, because any changes you make to the MIDI track will not be reflected in the audio track unless you re-bounce.

If this doesn’t work, let me know. I streamlined the process by not wring out some obvious steps but can write them out if the above is not enough.
    post edited by TGRANT - 2006/02/10 07:16:32
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1