Newbie struggling......

Author
steviecat
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2011/02/06 10:01:08 (permalink)

Newbie struggling......

Hi
If anyone is willing to help I would be most grateful. Unfortunately, due to work, I can only check the forum in the evenings.
I bought Sonar when it first came out - had a couple of months of playing with it then had to pack everything away for seven years. So, I have just updated from Sonar 1 to Sonar Producer X1. Yes, I know, a huge leap and I am unhappy to admit that I am in way over my head. I have looked at some of the 'get started' videos but they don't seem to apply to the problems I am having.

I am happy to work my way through the thing but my initial problem is that I cannot open any of the bundled sample files. When I have them in the browser window and click on them there is nothing behind the title. I can't open any of the .flac, RX files or many of the others. I often get a message that Sonar doesn't recognise the files...... Surely that can't be right.

In desperation , I loaded Winamp but that won't play them either - even with the Flac plugin.

Odly, there are a few files that will play if I click on them but when I try to drag them into a track they won't drop in.

Trouble is, I am now at the limit of my understanding and don't really know what to do next.

I have a mountain to climb with Sonar but if anyonbe could give me some pointers on trying to resolve this issue it would be a tremendous help.

I am using XP Pro -SP3 with 2gb of Ram and a UAE-25X Interface.

I have searched the forum/internet but can't find anything that, if it does apply to my problems, I can understand.

Many thanks indeed to anyone who might be able to help.

Best regards

Steviecat.

7 Replies Related Threads

jbow
    Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7601
    Re:Newbie struggling...... 2011/02/09 17:45:48 (permalink)
    Good luck. You might try posting in the X1 forum. I have had the same experience, sort of. I started with Sonar2, went to 4, to 7, and now to X1... always got frustrated with trying to figure it all out, trying to do it with insufficient power and interface... family... work... one thing then another... but now I think I have time to try to get through the learning curve. It can be frustrating. I wish I could help you, I can let you know that you are not alone. Again, try the X1 forum... I think maybe you'll get more help there.

Julien

Sonar Platinum
    Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
    HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Newbie struggling...... 2011/02/10 11:50:06 (permalink)
    Stevie , sign up for this

http://www.groove3.com/str/mt30.html

get a cup of coffee, sit back and watch.. it'll be a MASSIVE primer on how to use X1

but I would say , when Scott's Power book comes out , that'll be beneficial.

if you remember the basics of sequencing from back in the ST days, even that is a small help

steviecat
    Re:Newbie struggling...... 2011/02/10 13:56:55 (permalink)
    Hey guys.

Thank you so much for your kind words and advice - I really appreciate it. Julien and Fog, it was good of you to respond to my lonesome lament. I seem to be spending all my time fiddling with X1 and no time at all making music. Guess this is one of the pitfalls with something as 'other-worldy-techy' as a top-line sequencer.

Ho-hum, I'll keep on keeping on but I'm sure hoping for some breakthroughs - however small, to give me a bit of a boost.

Once again, many thanks guys.

Best regards
    Steve.
    jbow
    Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7601
    Re:Newbie struggling...... 2011/02/10 19:33:01 (permalink)
    Fog

Stevie , sign up for this

http://www.groove3.com/str/mt30.html

get a cup of coffee, sit back and watch.. it'll be a MASSIVE primer on how to use X1

but I would say , when Scott's Power book comes out , that'll be beneficial.

if you remember the basics of sequencing from back in the ST days, even that is a small help

I agree. I paid or it... if I remember it is 30 something bucks once you use the discount code. I have been watching it and it really is good. I am watching a little it each day and then I plan to watch it again and get Scott's book when it become's available: http://www.garrigus.com/

Also there is the X1 PDF reference guide: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2168001 
    if you have a Kindle or other e-reader you can load it up and read through it... it is too long to read on a computer screen, IMO.

I am taking my sweet time because I know all too well what it is like to be so frustrated that you get nothing done and then lose interest for a time... then come back and find that you have forgtten what little you did learn... i'm not doing that again.

Hang in there...

Julien

Sonar Platinum
    Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
    HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
    steviecat
    Re:Newbie struggling...... 2011/02/11 13:56:46 (permalink)
    Hi Julien

Many thanks for that! Your post describes me to a T. Thanks also for the info on help possibles.... They all look good and I shall investigate further. If only I could work out the midi side of things it would be a great boon. I can get all kinds of interesting sounds through my keyboard but all I ever record are the actual keyboard sounds rather than the midi/soft synth samples....

It's gonna be a long haul......

Take care, best regards
    Stevever-ever-so-muchly-confused.......
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Newbie struggling...... 2011/02/11 15:48:10 (permalink)
    Don't get discouraged.  Home recording (or doing a good job with it, anyway), entails every aspect of the music business except the sales part.  Not only do you have to play (the better - the better), but understand orchestration, not to mention writing if you do original songs.  Those were many times different people well versed in their area.

Then there is the stuido part - tracking, mixing and mastering are all different art forms, and have pros doing just one of those jobs.

Worst of all is the technical part of it.  Not just getting the computer to run well, but beating your interface into submission, too.  Then there is learning the programs.  Not only do DAWs replicate the recorder and mixing board, there is simply so much more editing wise than you could every do with a razor blade and two tape machines.

So take it slow - and remember how long it took (takes?) to learn your instrument.  Recording is the same process.  Even if you have the best equipement, until you learn how to use it you are like a student learning how to pick out "Sunshine of your Love" or "Inagadadavida" - remember how those sounded.  So have fun playing and then start fooling with SONAR etc., not expecting your attempts to sound like something on the radio.  That was one of the good things about the recording studio system - you got to watch someone else work and ask questions (usually after the session was over if you were smart).  Think demo, and keep the help pdf handy.  it will come, but slowly.  Just keep working.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Norrie
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1665
    Re:Newbie struggling...... 2011/02/11 21:04:56 (permalink)
    steviecat

Hi Julien

Many thanks for that! Your post describes me to a T. Thanks also for the info on help possibles.... They all look good and I shall investigate further. If only I could work out the midi side of things it would be a great boon. I can get all kinds of interesting sounds through my keyboard but all I ever record are the actual keyboard sounds rather than the midi/soft synth samples....

It's gonna be a long haul......

Take care, best regards
    Stevever-ever-so-muchly-confused.......

If you are recording and geting your Keyboars sound I am guessing you have a midi cable going from the out to in and in to out ? Like a loop from your keyboard to interface ?

If thats so just use one cable from your Keyboard to the midi :) change the selextion on the track to all midi inputs omni and see if that helps any

From what I remember I think thats how I went about things to start with

Hope it helps

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1