Newbie with kind of weird sound card question

Author
Shaneinhisroom
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15
2010/08/29 00:18:34 (permalink)

Newbie with kind of weird sound card question

Hey guys, I have a Q6600 processor with 4GB ram running Win 7 32-bit. I still own an Audigy2 Plat EX from my gaming days, which is the only piece of hardware I didn't see a point in upgrading since I did not music production. Well....now I just got Sonar 8PE with EWQL Gold, I'm seeing the deficiencies of the Audigy.

First of all, seems that with 8-10 samples running in Sonar, the audio cracks and pops and ASIO latency rises noticeably. Second, when I use the piano sample and press the pedal down and try to record a string of sustained notes, the earlier notes would go immediately disappear after five or six notes after it are pressed...it makes for a very unrealistic sound, no matter how good the piano sample is. A better card should take care of that, right?

So my question is this: Is it possible to retain my audigy for my 5.1 movie and gaming needs and tack on something like a Delta 1010 or 66 that will only be used for midi and music production processing? I have studio headphones I can plug into the M-Audio, but would like to keep the Audigy as my general purpose card connecting to my 5.1 Logitech Z5500's.

Thanks,
Shane 

7 Replies Related Threads

Shadow of The Wind
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 425
    Re:Newbie with kind of weird sound card question 2010/08/29 00:51:08 (permalink)
    Shane,

Having multiple soundcards in your PC is not a problem. Some people claim that it is not optimal in terms of performance. But it works for me.
    It is better not to let Windows use the card you are using for Sonar while Sonar is running.

Windows 7 can not only handle several cards, you can even switch between cards and outputs during playback, and it remembers the output volume settings for every output.

Wilko
    Shaneinhisroom
    Re:Newbie with kind of weird sound card question 2010/08/29 01:21:05 (permalink)
    Great news then! Thanks.

Any recommendation to a sound card between 150-200 dollars? 
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:Newbie with kind of weird sound card question 2010/08/29 04:44:24 (permalink)
    Echo miamidi

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Newbie with kind of weird sound card question 2010/08/29 07:18:58 (permalink)
    I used to have an Audigy 2 Platinum EX until the external I/O box quit working.  However, when I did have it installed I only used it for Windows audio applications.  I used a separate Firewire audio interface unit for Sonar.  Both co-existed without problems.

Generally with SoundBlaster's you need to use WDM rather than ASIO. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Shadow of The Wind
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 425
    Re:Newbie with kind of weird sound card question 2010/08/29 10:30:11 (permalink)
    If you are serious about making music, I would consider an external USB interface. Search for audio interface and you will find many threads. The M-Audio Fastrack Ultra seems to be a good one. (It actually did not work for me. But that was probably a driver issue that is solved now.)

Wilko
    Shaneinhisroom
    Re:Newbie with kind of weird sound card question 2010/08/29 10:51:17 (permalink)
    Thanks guys. So it turned out my drivers were really horrific and I had just updated them. It now runs flawlessly with 5ms ASIO latency and doesn't crackle or pop up to 10 synths. 

May I ask what the difference is between something like the Fastrack Ultra and my Audigy, other than the different number of inputs? Is the sound quality actually better, or does it handle more samples, more processing, etc? Thanks.
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Newbie with kind of weird sound card question 2010/08/29 11:24:48 (permalink)
    May I ask what the difference is between something like the Fastrack Ultra and my Audigy, other than the different number of inputs? Is the sound quality actually better, or does it handle more samples, more processing, etc? Thanks.

With a dedicated audio interface like the FastTrack Ultra you'll have:
    • Significantly lower noise-floor (the more tracks you record, the more cumulative the effect of the noise-floor)
    • Better A/D D/A converters
    • Much lower total round-trip latency
    • 4 or 8 (depends on which model) good mic preamps
    • Robust Win7x64 drivers
    • Channel inserts (pre A/D) for patching in outboard EQ/compression
    • Hi-Z input switches on channels 1/2 (for direct recording of passive electric guitar/bass - without dedicated DI boxes)
    • Two separate headphone outputs

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1