AnsweredNewbie....need some crtical ears and help

Author
peterjung
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 29
2014/03/02 07:45:35 (permalink)

Newbie....need some crtical ears and help

Hi All

I have been reading the forum for a while but new to posting.  I have been messing around with Sonar X2 for a few months now and I have made a few…sketches…I hesitate to call them fully formed songs.  The main thing I am trying to do is learn a bit about mixing and sound production in general.

I have posted one of my “sketches” on Soundcloud at the following link:

I would really like some independent ears to have a listen to my efforts and provide me with some constructive criticism and advice on my efforts.  After my months of messing around on my own I feel I have reached the point where I need some informed help and opinion to help me move forward.  I am reading several books and following websites etc. as time allows however there is nothing to beat some good old honest opinion.

So..if anyone can spare a few minutes to have a listen to the link I would really, really appreciate some help and feedback.  I am not so much looking for comments on the artistic merit but more on the technical sound production ...although of course any and all comments are very much welcome!!

Thanks in advance

Peace…

Peterjung
post edited by peterjung - 2014/03/02 07:55:24
peterjung
Re: Newbie....need some crtical ears and help 2014/03/02 08:05:55 (permalink)
OK… apologies...seems I don't have enough privileges yet to post a link on this site...never mind...the Soundcloud URL is as follows:
soundcloud.com/peterjung2/no-4-remix-2014-02-26-mp3
spacealf
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: Newbie....need some crtical ears and help 2014/03/02 13:41:28 (permalink)
Link don't work to get to the song. It just states at Soundcloud you have no song public and the way it is written does not go anywhere just using the first part and your name - shows no song up and - "Sorry the page can not be found" is the message from Soundcloud when the entire link is entered.

peterjung
Re: Newbie....need some crtical ears and help 2014/03/02 15:29:33 (permalink)
spacealf

Thanks for the reply.  Hmm...was having some problems uploading to soundcloud.  Uploaded as public but something went wrong somewhere and it became private?...

anyway....hopefully should be ok now.  I still cannot post the actual link for now but a cut and the paste of the following into your browswer should work

soundcloud.com/peterjung2/no-4-remix-2014-02-26-mp3

thanks again
Ruben
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 472
Re: Newbie....need some crtical ears and help 2014/03/02 17:06:14 (permalink)
I believe that your song is here:

https://soundcloud.com/peterjung2/no-4-remix-2014-02-26-mp3

For a newbie attempt after having Sonar a few months this isn't bad. It's petty basic and like you say it is a "sketch" and needs to be fleshed out with some melodic objects - either solo instruments or a vocal. But is sounds like you had fun, so keep working with it. 

peterjung
Re: Newbie....need some crtical ears and help 2014/03/02 18:53:56 (permalink)
Ruben

Many thanks for your constructive input.  I certainly had fun...just wish I had more time!

EDIT - Ruben thanks for posting the actual link!
post edited by peterjung - 2014/03/03 03:16:51
Voda La Void
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: Newbie....need some crtical ears and help 2014/03/02 20:25:37 (permalink)
To be honest, I am not *hearing* the need for any help on the technical production.  It sounds good, but I'm not sure if it sounds how you *want* it to sound.  Artistically, I completely dig it.  You have filled up the space pretty good with different instruments and it's catchy. 

Technically, though, I'd have to know what sounds you wanted to sound "real" and which ones you liked sounded electronic or synth like.  I think you might be better served if you were more specific in the technical stuff you are wanting to know.  For instance, I could say the piano needs to be fuller, richer, like a better synth or something - but how do I know this isn't the exact piano sound you're looking for?  Maybe you want it thin and subdued, so the other sounds can fill that space? 

Anyways, I like the tune.  Wish it had some vocals, or something else that could play that lead over the piece because it's very cool.  You've done a great job capturing the mood, in my opinion. 

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
peterjung
Re: Newbie....need some crtical ears and help 2014/03/03 03:55:44 (permalink)
Wow…Voda La Void…many thanks for your comments!

I am very flattered by your words.

I guess what I was getting at was to really just have the chance for some more experienced and knowledgeable ears to have a listen and tell me if there was anything technical that was obviously “wrong” with the mix that I may not be hearing.  Apart from the basic level balance I tried some panning, and a bit of reverb.  I am just starting to look into how to use the Pro Channel so on this I have not used it at all.

The piano sound I had in mind was a sort of 70’s electric sound…. I was thinking of the type of piano sounds you can find on lots of the tracks on the Moon Safari album by aIR.

The piano sound is one of the Scarbee Pianets from the Vintage Keys library for Kontakt, the bass is also from this library.  The drums are from a Sonar standard library loop.  Horns from Session Horns and whacky noises from Evolve Mutations.  The guitars are all “real” some through Amplitube 3 and some through Guitar Rig.

I struggled for a long time to try and find a vocal melody that fits….still searching…. I hear a pretty French chanteuse’s voice in my head but can’t get a melody yet.

I would have a go at a vocal track myself …..but as I sing like a pig being strangled I am not likely to load that take online.  At the very least it would have to be drenched in vocoder…even then it would probably just sound like a pig being strangled … but through a vocoder…..

Thanks again and I really appreciate all you guys taking the time to listen and comment.
post edited by peterjung - 2014/03/03 03:56:57
Walt Collins
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1054
Re: Newbie....need some crtical ears and help 2014/03/03 10:49:46 (permalink)
It's always hard to do synth horns in a convincing way, which is why I try to avoid them mostly.  Yours are no exception, unfortunately.  It's really obvious the horns were done on a keyboard.  There need to be little gaps between the notes for one thing, since real trumpet players have to articulate each note.  Maybe try putting your synth in "solo" performance mode, so you can't trigger 2 notes at once.  Or maybe add some separation between the individual midi notes in the piano roll.

I look forward to more from you!  This one is a bit long maybe, but I like the groove and layering.

Walt Collins - Downtempo & Ambient
Bandcamp: https://waltcollins.bandcamp.com (FREE downloads),  SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/arcanor
blog: "Seeking Enlightenment Through Electronic Music" - http://waltcollins.com/music
I use Ableton, NI, AAS, Arturia, Spectrasonics, Cakewalk, Akai, Yamaha, Fender, Sony, Waves
Windows 10, Tannoy, KRK, dbx DriveRack
Wookiee
Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
  • Total Posts : 13306
Re: Newbie....need some crtical ears and help 2014/03/03 11:05:28 (permalink)
For a sketch this is a good base, the general mix sound reasonable here.  As has been mentioned a need for little more ear candy to latch on to would help.  But as a background under a video this would work well.

Look forward to more from you.  25 posts is the magic number then you should be able to post links.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
daryl1968
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10984
Re: Newbie....need some crtical ears and help 2014/03/03 11:53:44 (permalink)
I enjoyed it - very subtle.
As Walt said above, lead horns are very difficult to reproduce - they tend to sound cheesy. 
peterjung
Re: Newbie....need some crtical ears and help 2014/03/03 23:26:40 (permalink)
Walt / Wookie / daryl

Many thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, again I really appreciate your feedback.

On the Horns I hear what you mean.  I think (well certainly for me anyway) this raises one of the biggest issues with VST technology.  It is wonderful to have access to so many sounds and instruments of course, however in the case of trying to mimic a real instrument and a real player you really need some understanding of the technical skills needed to play the actual real instrument to make it convincing.

As you can no doubt gather I have never even so much a held a horn of any kind in my hands much less played one!  So Walt – appreciate the sound technical advice on this!  I will give it a try and see if with practice I can get it any better!

Wookie…one more post to go !

Thanks again guys and to everyone else that took the time.  Being a newbie in general, but especially in here, it is really nice to be shown such consideration.

Peace!
shawn@trustmedia.tv
  • Total Posts : 2136
Re: Newbie....need some crtical ears and help 2014/03/04 01:13:02 (permalink)
I really liked this, did you play that guitar part around 1:20 starting...very groovy and I liked when the bass came in.  This song is both methodic and melodic. I would like to hear some reverb and maybe delay on the snare every fourth note, maybe a stereo delay in time with the song on the piano. I will say this I have a bad habit of cutting peoples songs short when listening but i didn't do that to yours, I like this song.

-Shawn

Studio SONAR X3. Axiom 25 midi controller, DUNE 2, Producer Content, Good Times, Bandlab Mojo

peterjung
Re: Newbie....need some crtical ears and help 2014/03/04 03:31:35 (permalink)
Shawn

Thank you very much for the comments - yes I did all the guitars - some on Amplitube and some on Guitar Rig.

I like your suggestion regarding delay/reverb...although I think I need to read up on stereo delay.... something new to learn every day!

Thanks again man

Peter
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Newbie....need some crtical ears and help 2014/03/04 10:50:28 (permalink)
Good start. It's a little dry (i.e. needs either reverb and/or delay).
spacealf
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: Newbie....need some crtical ears and help 2014/03/04 15:05:18 (permalink)
Finally listened. Kind of subdued. I would have made it shorter perhaps in length (start with the guitar where it starts) but who am I to say. I get going to and the song turns out longer than I thought it would be.

But trying to make it sound real probably is not going to be done without real musicians playing each instrument.
I do not worry about that, and just do the song (although I try to make it sound like a more real musician playing it).
That probably won't happen so just getting the song down and getting it done is what can be expected.

In this day and age of music, I really think that people will accept any song that is fine to listen to, and I would not worry about the rest. Of course you can try and perhaps driving yourself crazy.

The mix sounded fine to me but then that is usually what I say anyway. So no nitpicking from me, except it may sound better fuller. Perhaps you can do that, perhaps not - any which way you may think of - perhaps doubling the tracks on certain instruments and changing pitch slightly to add more fullness to the sound.

That's music, and perhaps a lot of it is just going to be editing in that kind of sense of making it into what you want it to be.

Lynn
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6117
Re: Newbie....need some crtical ears and help 2014/03/06 20:30:22 (permalink)
I think this mix sounds good, and I don't think you need much to make this sound any better.  My advice would be to start a new song and make it sound better.  Bon Voyage!

All the best,
Lynn

my songs
www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
BBB
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: Newbie....need some crtical ears and help 2014/03/06 23:17:11 (permalink)
Nice composition. My guess is that someone with a lot of experience could bring a lot more life to the mix and take it up a couple notches. I'm a beginner myself, though. Best of luck to you.
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
Re: Newbie....need some crtical ears and help 2014/03/07 04:19:06 (permalink)
Hi, Peter,

Really nice work on this, especially for a first song post!

You did very well using a lot of interesting textures, and you've got a nice clean, well balanced mix.

I do agree with the guys about the horn samples, and I think they sort of distract and take away from the overall electronica vibe.  Just as a suggestion, maybe you could try swapping the horn samples out for a couple different synth choices to add some variation and keep it fully in the modern electronica style.

Of course that's just an idea for a little experimentation, it's your song and it sounds really great as is, but sometimes a couple very minor tweaks can take a song to the next level.

Excellent job, Peter, looking forward to hearing more of your stuff!

Best Wishes!
Bob
peterjung
Re: Newbie....need some crtical ears and help 2014/03/09 08:54:35 (permalink)
Bapu, Spacealf, Lynn, BBB and Bob Oister

Thanks all for taking the time to listen.. I really appreciate your comments and feedback.
Lynn - got a couple of vague ideas in the pipeline....but I am a slow worker and do not have much free time.

Will certainly post something else when I have something that I hope is worthy of a listen

Thanks again to everyone that listened and provided feedback.

love and peace

Peter
Freddy J
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2348
Re: Newbie....need some crtical ears and help 2014/03/09 22:53:25 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby peterjung 2014/03/20 09:43:03
Welcome to the forum! 
For a first posting on this forum, I think that you have made a great start on the mix.  You have good separation and all instruments are balanced, and all sounds are very clean. A some of the comments above are suggesting that the song is a bit flat and I would agree; however, I believe that just a few tweaks would bring up the level of this song.  I noticed that essentially the percussion track varied very little throughout the song.  A few fills or maybe variations would help keep the song moving along.  I am also a real sucker for rhythm in songs.  Perhaps a more pronounced or varied rhythm with a bit more bass would add to the song as well.
Anyway, I think that you have done a great job!  I look forward to your future posts. 
peterjung
Re: Newbie....need some crtical ears and help 2014/03/20 09:54:31 (permalink)
Hi Freddy J

Thanks for your input.  Inspired by your and others comments I will look to get a bit more adventurous with drums and the like.  To be honest the rhythm track on this is the original one I started with just to get some timing down and I just kind of stuck with it.  It is just a stock loop out of Sonar X2 that I stumbled upon, slowed it down and went with it.  I watched great tutorial on the Sonar YouTube channel about mixing drums that made think I may try to create a rhythm rack from scratch next time.

The bass again is kind of the first scratch that is really simple but felt ok and that stayed there

So much to learn and so little time J…..enjoying the ride though….

Thanks again for taking the time to comment - again I really appreciate everyone's input
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Newbie....need some crtical ears and help 2014/03/20 11:04:45 (permalink)
I think you received a lot of good relevant comments on this mix. I did take more notice of the horns than anything else in the mix. Here are a couple of arrangement ideas that you could either take or leave. I don't know if you've ever heard Herb Albert on trumpet. He always used a kind of airy sound and delays to give his horn a spacial effect. That's kind of tough to do on a mix like this but not impossible. You could use automation on a delay or reverb, drop some of the other mix out in places and let the reverb tails keep going. This would add some interest to it. Taking the horn part up into higher ranges and using more velocity on your controller will also add some more interest by adding more emphasis to the horn part.Maybe add some more fancy fingering in there. IOW start out the same as you already have it...with the horn in the mid ranges...then at times in the music where you want to build tension or interest take the horn up an octave. JMO. Varying the elements of the rhythm will also help. Not necessarily the tempo but the elements playing the parts. 

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

RussjWhite
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 511
Re: Newbie....need some crtical ears and help 2014/03/21 04:08:31 (permalink)
Hi, Also enjoyed the groove when the guitar kicks in. :)
Learning about real instruments helped me in writing and arranging. I read Essential dictionary of orchestration on the kindle, very cheap but informs you of what can be done on real instruments. 

BL Cakewalk 
ATHM50 Cans
VRM Box
East West
olemon
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 768
Re: Newbie....need some crtical ears and help 2014/04/16 08:34:01 (permalink)
Welcome.  I like the song.  It could use some more 'energy' imho, but you've been given plenty of advice and feedback from folks who are in the know.  You're on your way:)

https://www.reverbnation.com/scottholson

Platinum, Studio One 3 Pro, Win 10 (x64), AMD FX-8350, ASUS M5A97 R2.0, 16GB, RME UCX, Digimax DP88, Faderport 8, Revive Audio Mod Studio Channel, Vintage Audio M72, Summit Audio TLA-50, KRK Rokit 5 G2 Monitors, Guitars

"If you wait till the last minute, it only takes a minute."
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1