Next sfz synth?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
René
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1103
RE: Next sfz synth? 2006/03/17 08:06:44 (permalink)
Thanks guys for the input, much appreciated. It's very cool to hear that you're already wondering what the next thing is going to be, makes a good motivational aid for everyday's work

I found the chat about DP and drums very interesting btw, I would like to share my view: for many uses, you'll find yourself using DP drums, as they're very fast to use, great sounding and ready-to-rock, available at a mouse click.

DP drums will give you a pro-level sound, with a casiotone-like operation hassle, and superbly-rock-solid operation. No glitches, no polyphony cuts, latency glitches or any other disk streaming side effect. A famous drummer here in .ar, who's a long-term friend of me, uses DP with a fantastic custom-made sfz set of his own drums and percussion (I think it's like 600MB), triggered from an octapad and some obscure kick pedal. Thanks to the sfz format, he gets dozens of hits of the snare using random, alternation and many other tricks.

However, DP is not certainly aimed to become the ultimate drum production tool for the studio. It won't do disk-streaming, it won't do multi-outputs.

While I can't really see M2 being better than any reverb in DP no no (sorry droid), I certainly agree that a serious drum module requires multi-outputs. So while you might find in DP a very flexible and superb sounding set of drums, it won't compete with those 50GB libraries over multi-outputs.

-René
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
RE: Next sfz synth? 2006/03/17 08:17:12 (permalink)
I long to apply that (and the ever-enigmatic Ohm Force plugs) to invidual Elements… Multi-outs are where it's at, surely.
C'mon, Dale: DIY. You get stuck on an island; you build a raft. Multi-outs would be great: inserts, clean repeatable implementation, etc. In the meantime: load up your individual Elements spread out over four instances. It doesn't cost much, you have eight outputs, and you can trigger them all from the same KB (like a Novation SL ). Define your splits in DP, the host application (P5 is easy), or the keyboard's O/S.

It won't get you home, but it'll get you to the next island.
markheath
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 408
RE: Next sfz synth? 2006/03/17 10:27:34 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: René
Thanks guys for the input, much appreciated. It's very cool to hear that you're already wondering what the next thing is going to be, makes a good motivational aid for everyday's work

Glad you're listening René ... you have the power to make our dreams come true (well some of them anyway ).

However, DP is not certainly aimed to become the ultimate drum production tool for the studio. It won't do disk-streaming, it won't do multi-outputs.

I don't actually have DP yet - I've just got Dimension which I use in SONAR. I use it for all my drums, but I have to set up 6 instances of it, each loaded with the same drum sfz file to get the flexibility I need. Then there's the less than user friendly SONAR drum map manager, where you have to assign each drum to an output port, with only the Dimension instance number to tell the difference between them (which is not necessarily the same as the output port number - can get confusing).

I had hoped that Velocity would become my default drum sampler, but I got bored very quickly using that clunky interface to try and input all the nskit samples (gave up half way through the second bass drum). So here's hoping that you make something that supports sfz with multiple outs in the future. Disk streaming would be nice for those who are obsessed with having huge sample libraries, but that's less of an issue for me. I figure that if I can't get a 200Mb set of drum samples to sound good, its my drum programming skills at fault, not the samples.

Frank Basile
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 466
RE: Next sfz synth? 2006/03/17 11:03:05 (permalink)
Just a related note... On the Smart Loops Sample Sets we created individual SFZ files for all the individual drums and cymbals. This allows you to load them all into DP as separate Elements, and manipulate them like separate drum tracks. It's been very cool to have this flexibility... not just adjusting volumes, but adding FX or reverb to just the snare, for example. I'm not sure if this would give you everything you're looking for, but it's a good start. Now if only DP had more Elements ;-) I guess Rapture does but I haven't tried that yet.
René
  • Total Posts : 1103
RE: Next sfz synth? 2006/03/17 12:23:19 (permalink)
Thanks Frank, that's very cool. I wanted to mention that DP 1.2 will allow for element files (.elem) to be loaded using the browser, as Rapture does from 1.0 (that one we brought from RP to DP).

-René
lawapa
  • Total Posts : 1144
RE: Next sfz synth? 2006/03/17 14:34:49 (permalink)
I guess Rapture does but I haven't tried that yet.

Frank; Anychance you will port those sets to CD rom ;)+). I do want them but I'm dial up till later this year. Oh and I just ordered Rature from Sweetwater so I could get a chance to test that theory out. I'll hit my door this Tuesday.
Paradroid
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: Next sfz synth? 2006/03/17 14:58:31 (permalink)
While I can't really see M2 being better than any reverb in DP no no (sorry droid)

Well, I'm not gonna argue from a SpinAudio fanboy position: tell me a better VST reverb for PC and I'll buy it. I'm not a connoisseur, I just know what I don't like. So far I'm not getting what I like on drums from Dim: too much boom and clang.

René, I always like hearing your opinion on various pieces of kit (Kontkrap… Cubarse…) but, really, I gotta wonder what's going wrong when you're saying M2 ain't got nothin' over Dim & Rap. Look, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume I'm not spinning the knobs the right way. I promise I won't mention it again until I've got some A/B examples to share.Then, maybe you serve up some reverb settings to put my M2 efforts to shame. That's good with me!

It won't get you home, but it'll get you to the next island

As for you Tom, I love it when you sneak in a little mini-tutorial under the guise of “Paradroid should quite whining and try this” when Paradroid has already been doing what you describe for the last 12 months. In fact, I take Frank's approach: all my favourite single-shots have a corresponding sfz. Most have a bit of pitch_random, amp_random, width, a volume (to normalise), sample_fadeout (since some are offset & ended from loops) and a little / header on where I lifted them from. That way I can do as Tom described or simply append a whole bunch together into a single sfz kit.
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
RE: Next sfz synth? 2006/03/17 15:11:08 (permalink)
As for you Tom, I love it when you sneak in a little mini-tutorial under the guise of “Paradroid should quite whining and try this” when Paradroid has already been doing what you describe for the last 12 months.
You're on to me. C'mon, Dale: it's for the "good of the people". You're just a handy target that I know won't take any offense to that. (Err, ... I hope, anyway). I know you know. You know? The 'Droid's been known to toss a live one this way on occasion as well. Hey, I dish it out. I expect it back.
Frank Basile
  • Total Posts : 466
RE: Next sfz synth? 2006/03/17 15:21:09 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: lawapa
Frank; Anychance you will port those sets to CD rom ;)+). I do want them but I'm dial up till later this year. Oh and I just ordered Rature from Sweetwater so I could get a chance to test that theory out. I'll hit my door this Tuesday.

There is a chance that will happen after we build a few more kits, and if the demand for the SFZ format continues to grow. I think Rene and CW have a done great job with DP and Rapture, and like others, I see lots of potential here.
post edited by Frank Basile - 2006/03/17 15:27:00
lawapa
  • Total Posts : 1144
RE: Next sfz synth? 2006/03/17 19:52:30 (permalink)
Thanks Frank. Test market this. I still have the Dry studio and Percussion disks from DDD and awave to do the sfz conversions. So everything after that is on my want list ;)+) I just love bundel deals.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1