Nice restoration project for my b'day

Author
Billy Buck
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2101
2005/06/05 09:41:06 (permalink)

Nice restoration project for my b'day

I just got my beloved 25 year old, Ovation 1517 Ultra natural woodgrain acoustic, back from a local guitar repair shop. After many years of use and abuse, it had become a real mess. Worn out frets, worn out nut, cracked neck bindings, severe long and deep cracks in the soundboard, (I am talking 6-10 inches long), volume/tone knob broken, the guitar wood and the rosewood fretboard itself was starved for moisture and had to spend almost a week just getting re-humidfied. Needless to say, the poor thing was in piss poor shape. I had not played it, in 7-8 years because it had become virtually unplayable and sounded terrible. A month ago, I made up my mind to finally get it fixed or just toss it out. Well about thirty days and $500 dollars later (95% of it labor), it is like I have a brand new guitar again. I have had and used other acoustic guitars, but nothing compares to the deep resonating bass, the beautiful sustaining tone and fluid neck/fretboard action, of my quarter century ol' 1517 Ultra. I have played many other models, of Ovations, and many other acoustics, for that matter, but none of them, felt or sounded, as good as my 1517. Yes, I got my baby back and I am very happy about the quality, of work that was done, to restore my ol' Ovation back to it's former glory. It's like I have a brand new guitar again. It has now regained it's rightful place, as my fav acoustic again.

It also has a lot of sentimental value, as well. It was the guitar, I was playing, when I met my wife, on Waikiki beach, in 1982. In recent years, she had asked me why I don't play the Ovation anymore, as she always thought it was such a beautiful and distinctive sounding guitar. It was well worth the $500, to restore it, back to like new condition again.

Anyway, I just wanted to share the good news.

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

3 Replies Related Threads

jcdawson
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 67
    RE: Nice restoration project for my b'day 2005/06/05 21:17:18 (permalink)
    I'd be interested in hearing who did the work, and seeing some before and after pics if you have them...

Congrats on your "new" Ovation!
    jeffers_mz
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 117
    RE: Nice restoration project for my b'day 2005/06/05 21:23:55 (permalink)
    It was the guitar, I was playing, when I met my wife, on Waikiki beach, in 1982.

Ever try the pita pocket omelettes from Don the beachcombers next to the Royal Hawaiian? Worth a trip back just for one of those.

(Good deal on the axe restore!)
    johndale
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3228
    RE: Nice restoration project for my b'day 2005/06/05 23:53:02 (permalink)
    Congrads Billy. It is well worth it. I have 2 Ovations that need a little work. But they are playable. I bet you relized just what a nice guitar it always was. Ovations have seemed to fall out of favor as of late. I think they are fine, except for the round back requires a special "technique". Oh thats a Elite and Celeberty Deluxe I own. Both with active electronics. Back in the days of PA 8 & 9 they used to record real nice without a lot of tweaking. I can't wait to find out if they still do (you have set a fire under my ass to fix those guitars).........................JDW
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1