Nico (the Dark Divide)

Author
seanmichaelrobinson
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 59
2018/09/01 05:52:45 (permalink)

Nico (the Dark Divide)

Hey y'all!

We're currently in the midst of recording a follow-up to our last album, Comfort, which was released September 2016. This is the last track from that album--Nico (the Dark Divide). 

Banjo and upright bass and drums and fiddle recorded simultaneously in a temporary setup in a borrowed house on Bainbridge Island in Washington state. drums and bass in the living room (with a couch baffle between the two), banjo on the porch with full glass visibility, and fiddle upstairs, the cabling running through air ducts in the ceiling. room mics in various exciting places (pointing at a framed painting at the top of the stairs, entryway of the fiddle room, etc). the cello and glock overdubs followed that evening, and the vocals were overdubbed later that week (both simultaneously) followed much later by the third vocal part (our friend Alma, from my previous band Landlord's Daughter).

Hoping to capture this same relaxed vibe on our new album on at least a few of the tracks.

All tracked to and mixed in Sonar X1 using an array of free plugins! 

Hope you enjoy!

https://summerjanuaries.b...k/nico-the-dark-divide

13 Replies Related Threads

Leadfoot
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2817
    Re: Nico (the Dark Divide) 2018/09/01 20:48:52 (permalink)
    Very cool. It has a very haunting quality to it, at least to my ears. Loved the fiddle parts. Actually, I liked all of it. Vocals sounded great. The whole thing was just very organic. It was refreshing to listen to something as unique as this. I enjoyed it a lot. Great job.
    bjornpdx
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re: Nico (the Dark Divide) 2018/09/02 03:36:47 (permalink)
    One of those songs where the melody carries you away and you make up your own story with the lyrics. Well done.

Bjorn
    soundcloud.com/orygun
    www.bjornfredrickson.com
    https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/BjornFredrickson

Purrfect Audio Pro Studio, RME UCX
    Cakewalk by Bandlab,  Studio One,  Reaper
    biodiode
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1202
    Re: Nico (the Dark Divide) 2018/09/02 07:02:11 (permalink)
    Nice song, very melancholic and well recorded. It was nice to hear a minimal track that holds together well, a lot get carried away with this type of thing and think they need to use a gazillion channels.

www.biodiode.com  
    https://soundcloud.com/biodiode
    PC Specs :-Sonar Platinum,
    Fractal Design Define R4 Case, Asus X-99 Deluxe motherboard, Intel Core i7 5960X Processor, Bequiet BK010 Dark Rock Cooler, 32GB - 2400mhz Corsair memory, 650W Bequiet Dark Pro PSU, 1GB XFX Radeon R5 Passive GFX, 2 x 256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD, 1 x 3TB WesterDigital Black HDD, LG - BluRay Combo Drive, Windows 10, Kensington SlimBlade Trackball, LG34UM88C 34-Inch 3440 x 1440 UltraWide IPS Monitor
    Wayfarer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 831
    Re: Nico (the Dark Divide) 2018/09/02 14:27:12 (permalink)
    That was just great Sean. Loved everything about it, but especially the song itself. I wish more people would record banjo on ballads. You guys keep doing stuff like this and we'll be saying, "We knew them when...."

Bill
    SupaReels Music
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 370
    Re: Nico (the Dark Divide) 2018/09/03 17:35:44 (permalink)
    Absolutely lovely ... dreamy and great idea .. best of luck with it.  

Home-built 64 bit pc running Win7 Pro, 2nd system Laptop running Win10

DAW' s :-  Sonar Platinum , Cubase Pro 10. , CyberLink Audio Director 7, Power Director 15
    Other Stuff :- Impulse61, VX7, DX7, Behringer X-Touch , Tascam MidiStudio688,Orbit v2, Roland U220, SPL Vitalizer, TC Helicon, Alesis M1s, Rode NT1 & NT2, Shure SM58, Red5 RV6 Mics, Various Guitars Ibanez S770, revamped Les Paul Copy, Yamaha Pacifica 112, SGR C-1, Yamaha Acoustic 12 string, Gibson 6 String Acoustic, Fender Squire Bass, Yamaha 800 Active Fretless  
    DeeringAmps
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2614
    Re: Nico (the Dark Divide) 2018/09/04 12:26:14 (permalink)
    Very delicate and intimate.
    I very much enjoyed it.

T

Tom Deering
    Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
    Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
    StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
    Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
    seanmichaelrobinson
    Re: Nico (the Dark Divide) 2018/09/04 14:40:33 (permalink)
    Thank you for the very kind words and thoughtful comments, everyone!

Leadfoot-- glad you liked the fiddle parts. We had a good time working up the solo beforehand--not the entire solo, but the basic feel and (I believe) the first few measures. Rachel (the fiddle player and co-vocalist) changed the fingerings on a few segments of the solo to eliminate the string crossings, to give it a more exotic sound (as she'd have to slide up to the destination notes). Made it sound a bit like an erhu (the two-stringed Chinese "fiddle". We busked at Pike Place Market all the time and there were two erhu players down at the market every morning, so we got some exposure :)  )

BioDiode--glad it holds together for you! It's interesting to listen back to this now given where I'm at in the current project, wondering what I might have done differently now. I'm pretty happy with the subtlety of some of the mix features that might have been overbearing without some careful balance (for instance, the cello on the outro is actually doubled, along with the two really far house mics we had on each take. something that I would normally avoid, but which gives it a really nice texture here, in my opinion anyway).

Bill--I'm with you--banjos on ballads! It's a good base to work from. No long sustaining notes to eat up all of your space right from the get-go. Was really happy here with the banjo/pizz fiddle combination.

Thanks again! Looking forward to hanging out on this forum more and hearing all of your songs.
    Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re: Nico (the Dark Divide) 2018/09/04 19:11:43 (permalink)
    Excellent!  The harmonies are great, and I really like the melancholy, minimalist sound of this song.
    stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Nico (the Dark Divide) 2018/09/18 20:43:49 (permalink)
    Wow...   unexpected, and soooo nice.   Love the overall dreamy quality, which is kinda weird with a percussive banjo part being the backbone.   But hey, it works!   And yeah, those slides gave the fiddle a nicely eastern touch which I thought fit so well. 

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Jesse Screed
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1158
    Re: Nico (the Dark Divide) 2018/10/09 00:06:05 (permalink)
    yes, I am late to the party

this is very organic

chaos
    penguin

an example that talent does not equate to viral natures

I hope you appreciate yourself

because that is how it should be

radio ready

daryl1968
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: Nico (the Dark Divide) 2018/10/09 18:55:27 (permalink)
    bloody gorgeous
    emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: Nico (the Dark Divide) 2018/10/11 02:45:10 (permalink)
    I'd dig seeing you guys live. Great, stripped down tune.

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    seanmichaelrobinson
    Re: Nico (the Dark Divide) 2018/10/11 19:31:09 (permalink)
    Thanks for the kind, thoughtful comments. I can't tell you how much it's appreciated.

Jesse--

"an example that talent does not equate to viral natures

I hope you appreciate yourself"

About seven years ago, only a few months before meeting Rachel, my Summer Januaries partner and love of my life, I had a brief experience with quick, viral "fame" (scare quotes because having something you wrote or drew be internet famous for, like, a week is clearly not real fame). And then, when Rachel and I started busking together, playing on street corners and the like, we had another very odd, very complicated type of "fame" in the sense that, for however many hours we played, we could attract a dozen or even 200 or so people at a time, people that would stop to give us money, chat with us, want to give us a meal, cry, request songs, many many other things that were amazing and (mostly) positive.

And both those types of experiences can trick you into thinking, hey, if I'm doing something worthwhile, somebody will recognize it. But of course, the truth is a lot more complicated than that.

Now, it's been years since we've performed live, and I've largely come to terms with continuing to make whatever we want to make almost entirely for ourselves, as, at least for now, there's not really an audience. At least consciously. But these comments are very encouraging of the idea of continuing to put songs out there, even if in a limited way. 

Which is all to say, thank you all for listening, and for your comments! I'll be posting a work in progress later this week, and I look forward to hearing more of your songs as well.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1