No Midi Output Selected and I can't hear anything play??

Author
melodyuk2010
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2010/01/16 06:34:45 (permalink)

No Midi Output Selected and I can't hear anything play??

I am very new to all of this so sorry if this is a stupid question lol..

At the end of installtion it gives me the warning no midi output selected but all it shows in the output list is microsoft midi mapper but selecting that doesnt help it stll gives the warning...

I am intending to work with midi files aswell.. so hoping there is something I can do to fix this??

I am using Sonar LE 4.0.1 that came with the usb microphone CO1U, running Windows 7.

Thanks

7 Replies Related Threads

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    Re:No Midi Output Selected and I can't hear anything play?? 2010/01/16 13:24:43 (permalink)
    Your microphone is not a MIDI interface device and you apparently don't have any MIDI devices.  MIDI can be clicked into place in SONAR using your mouse and rendered using softsynths, but it is much easier to generate MIDI by playing a keyboard or other MIDI controller and record that MIDI through a MIDI interface recognized by Windows and SONAR.

If you obtain a modern MIDI keyboard controller that has USB capability you can generally send/receive MIDI with the keyboard controller over USB.  You can also get dedicated MIDI devices.

Cakewalk has an inexpensive line of audio interfaces, MIDI interfaces, keyboard controllers, and combination units that would get you going.

The USB microphone is fine for audio but it won't get you anywhere with MIDI.

Vivienne
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:No Midi Output Selected and I can't hear anything play?? 2010/01/17 22:48:57 (permalink)
    I have basically the same problem, even when I have my keyboard plugged into my laptop. Since I "don't have an output selected" it won't let me record or anything... exremely frustrating...

I have Windows Vista, Samson CO1U microphone, Sonar LE, and a Yamaha E413 keyboard.

(...and since I'm really new with this whole thing, I don't know if I'll be working with audio, MIDI, whatever... I don't really know the difference.
    jhughs
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1179
    Re:No Midi Output Selected and I can't hear anything play?? 2010/01/18 20:57:56 (permalink)
    I'm not an expert on MIDI, but I don't think you need to select the MIDI output to hear MIDI.  I believe that's to send MIDI instructions to (like a hardware synth).

I STRONGLY recommend working through the tutorials.

MIDI and softsynths are very useful.  Learning to use it is time well spent.

Meanwhile, if the warning message is bugging you I believe (I'm not in front of the DAW) you can shut it off until Tools>Global>MIDI or maye ...>General

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150 & AMPLIFI, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:No Midi Output Selected and I can't hear anything play?? 2010/01/19 22:54:27 (permalink)
    The output has absolutely nothing to do with the ability to record.
    Basically three things need to happen.
    1. You need to select an appropriate input for the track.
    2. The track must be armed (click the R button in the track pane)
    3. Hit record in the transport control.
    You may not have everything properly connected (it happens).
    Does Sonar recognize your keyboard and mic?

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:No Midi Output Selected and I can't hear anything play?? 2010/01/21 23:55:21 (permalink)
    Options/MIDI Devices
    will show the Microsoft MIDI mapper. That one plays a MIDI file that you load into sonar MIDI track(s).

So, click on the MIDI mapper and it becomes dark when selected, then OK.

Then, on a global way, Sonar has the Microsoft Synth as an available output.

Then, on a MIDI track, load a MIDI file. And for THAT track, right click on its Number (identifier) and on Track Properties, as MIDI output select the MIDI mapper.

This means that you can have more than one MIDI device globally, but for each track you specify only one.

Options/MIDI devices shows all that Sonar can find, you select as many as you want Sonar to handle.

y2da
    Re:No Midi Output Selected and I can't hear anything play?? 2010/02/05 22:35:01 (permalink)
    im having the same problem im runnig vista, how do i get sound out my headphone jack...
    y2da
    Re:No Midi Output Selected and I can't hear anything play?? 2010/02/05 22:51:09 (permalink)
    i figured it out...now my problem is lag or latency, how to correct it?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1