No Music, No Lyrics, No Miriam! Imbube Umgido (Lion Dance)!

Author
malcolmb
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 713
2012/06/27 08:28:16 (permalink)

No Music, No Lyrics, No Miriam! Imbube Umgido (Lion Dance)!

And now for something completely different! There has recently been quite a lot of interest in a piece I wrote a while ago called "Drumming the Moon". A number of people who liked that piece have asked for more ethnic drumming pieces. I started writing this piece a few years ago as an experiment to see how I could use EWQL Symphonic Choirs. I only managed about a dozen bars and then shelved it (perhaps I should have left it there!). Anyway, I have now developed it and here it is:

Imbube Umgido (which is Zulu for "Lion Dance").

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11729720

In a clearing deep in the African Jungle, the Warriors and Maidens dance........!

Best Regards
Malcolm

HS 7 XL
XP Prof.
4 GB memory
GPO, VSL, Music Lab Real Guitar/LPC, EWQLSC, Vocaloid Miriam/Avanna 
Soundcard - Marian Marc 4 Midi

www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic

20 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:No Music, No Lyrics, No Miriam! Imbube Umgido (Lion Dance)! 2012/06/27 09:26:28 (permalink)
    Hey Malcomb!  I don't remember hearing the other tune you're referring to (I may have missed it), but this is certainly creative and entertaining!

I'd like to hear some more low end on those drums to bring them to life a little more.  they sound too thin to me.

cool work!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    malcolmb
    Re:No Music, No Lyrics, No Miriam! Imbube Umgido (Lion Dance)! 2012/06/27 10:12:20 (permalink)
    Hi Beagle - Sincere thanks for listening and so pleased you like it. Ah, the Drums! I do agree with you. They are a bit thin. I used Cakewalk TTS Melodic Toms and a Roland GrooveSynth Tom. To try and get some depth, I put them both through a softsynth amp by FrettedSynth Audio called FA3_Amp on a "clean" setting (the amp was free!). It certainly lifted them but to balance them with the vocal shouts, I then had to push the drums back a bit. Too much, I think. I'll have another look and see what I can do with perhaps some EQ.

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory

Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:No Music, No Lyrics, No Miriam! Imbube Umgido (Lion Dance)! 2012/06/27 10:33:43 (permalink)
    Cool song!  Very clever indeed. I'm getting a crackling noise from my right speaker though.

String Jammer
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:No Music, No Lyrics, No Miriam! Imbube Umgido (Lion Dance)! 2012/06/27 10:43:37 (permalink)
    Let's have a safari.  Actually, drums like ths are supposed to be thin.  It doesn't need to sound like a 70's  Led Zep kit.  Anyway, I like the drums, the vocals, and the overall mix.  I think you got it about right.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Rikkie
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1128
    Re:No Music, No Lyrics, No Miriam! Imbube Umgido (Lion Dance)! 2012/06/27 11:20:01 (permalink)
    Me Tarzan you Malcolm : )  Never thought I would like drums! This works! Excellent, very moody. Mix sounds great to me.  Great vocal sounds. Good job, Bwana ; )

Rik
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:No Music, No Lyrics, No Miriam! Imbube Umgido (Lion Dance)! 2012/06/27 14:34:56 (permalink)
    Mind blowing. Everything sounds tight and clear here.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    malcolmb
    Re:No Music, No Lyrics, No Miriam! Imbube Umgido (Lion Dance)! 2012/06/27 14:47:18 (permalink)
    Hi Scotty - Sincere thanks. Odd about that crackling. I've just played it with my ear as close as I dare to the right speaker and I can't detect any - OK, it's probably my age! I suppose I could duck the issue, say it was meant to be there and it was the camp fire (!) - but I'm just too honest! I will check it out.

Hi Lynn - Sincere thanks - the Safari sounds a great idea - under canvas in the great outdoors, just the sounds of the jungle to lull you to sleep - Aaaaargh! I hope the Lions aren't hungry!

Hi Rik - Sincere thanks - I've never been called Jane before! As for the swinging through the trees, I think I shall just have a snooze in my hammock, thank you! Hail Guitar Inkosi!

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory

malcolmb
    Re:No Music, No Lyrics, No Miriam! Imbube Umgido (Lion Dance)! 2012/06/27 14:49:08 (permalink)
    Hi Foxwolfen - Sincere thanks - it is a bit, isn't it! But then my mind was blasted out many years ago leaning against Eric Clapton's speaker! Those were the days!
    post edited by malcolmb - 2012/06/27 14:51:08

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:No Music, No Lyrics, No Miriam! Imbube Umgido (Lion Dance)! 2012/06/27 14:59:18 (permalink)
    This is quite interesting.  The drums do sound just a little to mechanical.  Perhaps some more shifts and odd hits might help.

Thanks for sharing.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    malcolmb
    Re:No Music, No Lyrics, No Miriam! Imbube Umgido (Lion Dance)! 2012/06/27 15:06:03 (permalink)
    Hi Wookie - Sincere thanks - Odd that I should be replying to your post while at the same time be listening to your new piece "Tribe" - what a wonderful piece of music - and when I compare your drums and mine, I very much take and agree your point.
    post edited by malcolmb - 2012/06/27 15:07:27

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory

foxwolfen
    Re:No Music, No Lyrics, No Miriam! Imbube Umgido (Lion Dance)! 2012/06/27 15:12:48 (permalink)
    LOL. So I am told, but I do not remember them much... spent those day in a White Room, After Midnight under a Bad Sign, sniffing Cocaine like it was a Badge of honor. My gal at the time was Running on Faith and I had to keep saying Lay Down Sally (or was it Slow Down Linda, I can never remember), as I felt Just Like a Prisoner. It was Tearing Us Apart, she kept Teasing me with a Grand Illusion, but it turned out the be a Dead End Road. She called me a Motherless Child. Next Time You See Her, tell her its been Ten Long Years, and our Three Little Girls don't want to shed any Tears In Heaven.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    malcolmb
    Re:No Music, No Lyrics, No Miriam! Imbube Umgido (Lion Dance)! 2012/06/27 15:17:48 (permalink)
    They say if you remember them, you weren't there! I guess they are right! Possibly! And your list gives me a serious case of nostalgia - I wonder what pills I should take to cure it!

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory

foxwolfen
    Re:No Music, No Lyrics, No Miriam! Imbube Umgido (Lion Dance)! 2012/06/27 15:38:17 (permalink)
    Heheheh, these days its mostly Advil for the back pain and arthritis.

Composers Forum
    malcolmb
    Re:No Music, No Lyrics, No Miriam! Imbube Umgido (Lion Dance)! 2012/06/28 05:07:59 (permalink)
    You me too! Creak, Groan, Aaaargh! I had really been looking forward to my second childhood - but no one warned me that it would just be a figment of my imagination - good thing at least that part of me is still working! Just!

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:No Music, No Lyrics, No Miriam! Imbube Umgido (Lion Dance)! 2012/06/28 12:12:09 (permalink)
    Well that was really different Malcolm..every bit as creative as I've come to expect from you though - great stuff!

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    malcolmb
    Re:No Music, No Lyrics, No Miriam! Imbube Umgido (Lion Dance)! 2012/06/28 14:32:03 (permalink)
    Hi James - Sincere thanks and so pleased you like it. I suppose sometimes I do need to try something different instead of just the lovely Miriam lulling me (and everyone else!) to sleep! It was a Lady who asked me to write another ethnic drumming piece and I can never refuse a Lady - which of course is the story of my Life! Will I ever learn? Nope! Life is a lot easier with women if you never say no!

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory

geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:No Music, No Lyrics, No Miriam! Imbube Umgido (Lion Dance)! 2012/06/29 19:35:53 (permalink)
    Hi Malcolm,

This is really cool! Nice interplay of rhythms between the drums and vocal parts. The mix sounds great on my cheap speakers, too! Well done! 

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    ATS
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 877
    Re:No Music, No Lyrics, No Miriam! Imbube Umgido (Lion Dance)! 2012/06/29 19:45:30 (permalink)
    Wookiee

This is quite interesting.  The drums do sound just a little to mechanical.  Perhaps some more shifts and odd hits might help.

Thanks for sharing.

This is very good advice!  I know a lot of sequences have a humanize setting that makes them not so perfectly hit everytime.   Wonderful work!
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:No Music, No Lyrics, No Miriam! Imbube Umgido (Lion Dance)! 2012/06/29 22:01:55 (permalink)
    malcolmb

Hi Scotty - Sincere thanks. Odd about that crackling. I've just played it with my ear as close as I dare to the right speaker and I can't detect any - OK, it's probably my age! I suppose I could duck the issue, say it was meant to be there and it was the camp fire (!) - but I'm just too honest! I will check it out.

Hi Malcolm,
    On my second listen I figured out that it is part of the percussion I'm hearing that sounds like a vinyl record crackle. No longer an issue. Sorry about that!

String Jammer
    malcolmb
    Re:No Music, No Lyrics, No Miriam! Imbube Umgido (Lion Dance)! 2012/06/30 04:36:19 (permalink)
    Hi Gary - Sincere thanks - I bet your speakers are better than mine!

Hi Alex - Sincere thanks - That is a great idea and I will definitely have a look for the 'humanize' facility. I write all my music by notation including in this case the drums so I am not sure if that facility would work but I will certainly give it a try.

Hi Scotty - No apology needed - with my ears, I am grateful for all guidance! I suspect it is just an aspect of a very basic drum VST - it would be so much easier if I had an African Village and drummers in my back garden - but the Lion is not necessarily essential!

Best Wishes
    Malcolm

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1