No Royalties for Radio Play?

Author
henkejs
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 489
2009/02/25 11:06:15 (permalink)

No Royalties for Radio Play?

I just saw a news item this morning saying that Sheryl Crow, Quincy Jones, and others were testifying before Congress in hopes of getting legislation passed that would require broadcast radio stations to pay royalties to musicians for playing their music. For some reason, I'd always assumed that musicians got some kind of compensation for radio play -- apart from the exposure value, I mean.

This seems like a huge financial issue to have gone uncontested all these years. Has radio always been exempt from music royalties? Does anyone know more about the history behind this?

A few of my songs

SONAR Platinum, Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.

16 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: No Royalties for Radio Play? 2009/02/25 11:25:15 (permalink)
    thats odd, I mean all DJ's have to submit playlists here.. and yep there is a royalty attached to it.

it's caused a nightmare for club dj's here.. since a lot of the stuff is on pre-release in certain genre's.

if someone was playing my stuff , not for profit.. no worries

but the commercial stations here have to pay PRS or the equivalent of it

henkejs
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 489
    RE: No Royalties for Radio Play? 2009/02/25 11:41:54 (permalink)
    If anyone else is interested, I found a reasonably brief discussion of the music royalty business here. Apparently, in the U.S. the recording artist doesn't get a cut of commercial radio play royalties, though the song writer and publisher do.

A few of my songs

SONAR Platinum, Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.
    Guitarzan54
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: No Royalties for Radio Play? 2009/02/25 12:49:40 (permalink)
    WOW!....that site is a wealth of information.

Thanks!

THE GUNS OF HELL!!! --> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=928547
    ---
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 2002 / SP3
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00 GHz
    1.99 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM
    ---
    Cakewalk Home Studio 9
    Line 6 POD UX2 Pod Farm

Fog
    RE: No Royalties for Radio Play? 2009/02/25 13:00:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: henkejs

If anyone else is interested, I found a reasonably brief discussion of the music royalty business here. Apparently, in the U.S. the recording artist doesn't get a cut of commercial radio play royalties, though the song writer and publisher do.

that's why you publish your stuff via your own label and have credits.. I mean to most of my friends that used to use majors... they were just handy to use SOLELY for distributing their cd's.

people over here.. hhmm David Gray, Oasis etc.. all their stuff goes out via their own label.. well used to. The publishing deal is big money... Oasis was signed to Sony publishing wise, but putting the stuff out by a smaller label "creative" not to make it look like the big boys were behind it. Thats a common thing used, but if you look at the "so called" independent label, you'll a lot of the case find it's owned by a major.
    post edited by Fog - 2009/02/25 13:06:45
    ParanoiA
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 747
    RE: No Royalties for Radio Play? 2009/02/25 15:06:10 (permalink)
    Well I hope more and more of this royalty stuff will spoil everyone's good time. I'm perfectly happy to let them drive their business away to the amature crowd.
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: No Royalties for Radio Play? 2009/02/25 15:52:07 (permalink)
    I was under the impression that music publishing rights were owed a mechanical royalty for every time a song was used for any commercial venture - radios, tv, movies, dvds...
    if that is so, then the fee goes to the person who owns the rights.

If that happens to be the performer, then great. If not, well, someone paid you to record the song. They put up the risk capital. But Fog is right. Do it yourself, keep the rights. You may have less promotion (or maybe not), but you are in control of the $$$. When you get big enough, you can hire a staff of thugs to make sure every night club that uses your song to attract crowds pays their share.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: No Royalties for Radio Play? 2009/02/25 15:58:45 (permalink)
    Mechanical royalties come from CD sales. (sheet music, records, films etc..) The artist & record company makes royalties from these sales...

Performance royalties are paid to the songwriter & publisher, and this is paid based on a formula by the Performance rights org....like BMI to which the songwriter & publisher belong.

Artists ...unless they have writing credit, don't necessarily collect performance royalties. They make their money in mechanical royalties and concert revenue.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    • Total Posts : 733
    RE: No Royalties for Radio Play? 2009/02/25 16:08:19 (permalink)
    Yes, you do get royalties everytime your music is played on the radio.

''I work to live, but live to make music'' -Mahler
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: No Royalties for Radio Play? 2009/02/25 16:08:26 (permalink)
    Interesting... I'd be happy to sell a CD for a buck! LOL!

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: No Royalties for Radio Play? 2009/02/25 16:11:52 (permalink)
    Just one?

I would like to sell just one for like oh $17,366,129.87.

If I were selling them for $1, I would want to sell like 34,593,244.75 to cover the variable costs.

On the other hand, if everyone in the world gave me 10c, I would have $600 million. That is too greedy. How about 2c? That would still be $12 million.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: No Royalties for Radio Play? 2009/02/25 17:43:22 (permalink)
    Performance royalties are just not from the radio, but movie, TV anytime in a public venue that your music gets paid. I don't know about clubs/jukboxes, tho I suspect there is a built in cost.

I had a friend and I produced a couple of incidental songs of his for a major release movie (350 screens or so). The movie tanked (I didn't even get time to see it in the theatre) but it did show on TV and video. This guy joined BMI (I think, or one of the organizations) and still has his check framed (it wasn't enough to cash - he wanted the wall bling).

There is a forumla that the performance companies use - they basically charge radio, TV and the movie companies a fee. They then divide the loot into small pots they send to their clients. THis is in addition to whatever fee you are paid by the producer/etc. I'm not sure how clubs/venues work, but that is the job i want - go spend the night in a ti ... gentleman's club counting which songs are played and then giving that to someone who extrapolates what is played in the market.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: No Royalties for Radio Play? 2009/02/25 17:56:19 (permalink)
    Clubs that play prerecorded music, or have live cover bands are supposed to pay a monthly fee to BMI/ASCAP. Even if you have Muzak playing, you are supposed to pay the fee. I remember years ago, a guy who was supposedly from BMI/ASCAP tried to collect a fee from us while we were playing a club in Hobbs, New Mexico. Our bass player, who was a particularly nasty sort, told him to follow him out to the truck, and he would pay him. I wonder if he ever got out from under that Camaro.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: No Royalties for Radio Play? 2009/02/25 19:29:57 (permalink)
    don't know about clubs/jukboxes, tho I suspect there is a built in cost.

TRUTH.... I was in a house band at a night club for a few years.... and the people from ASCAP did come in every so often to check the music on the jukebox as well as our set lists. The club owner had to pay a fee to ASCAP based on what songs were on the J-box and what songs we played live. There was a little ASCAP sticker that was placed on the door.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    ParanoiA
    • Total Posts : 747
    RE: No Royalties for Radio Play? 2009/02/25 19:47:07 (permalink)
    I don't remember anything like this for my brief tenure (but then I don't remember playing a "legitimate" gig, so...hell I don't even think our name was ever actually written on anything).

What is this cost like? If it's expensive enough, maybe "royalty free" could be a marketing edge for amature's.
    Fog
    RE: No Royalties for Radio Play? 2009/02/25 20:24:15 (permalink)
    ParanoiA, clubs over here have to submit EVERY song on the playlist.. regardless.. if the artist is PRS registered then they get money.. So of course a DJ will put a fair few of their own tracks on the play list

film / tv licensing is an interesting one.. the BBC here use someone I knows music for a buy out fee for TV show use ONLY, not films. They get a far smaller commission every time it's used.

another friend did some library music that sky used a fair bit, BUT it was solely 1 fee for it.. no repeat fee's.

Moby is probably the most famous case of making as much money from licensing for tv / films as he did in sales with his play album...

I mean most record labels, well independents used to give none legit stations dj's here promo copies to get air play / promote a record. that used to be the case with the few I knew. They just wanted the advertising really.

SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    RE: No Royalties for Radio Play? 2009/02/28 23:06:17 (permalink)
    My royalties are collected worldwide and if a band/artist(s) performs my song I get paid for that also, although once (just late last year) I notice royalties for a song that was not mine so I immediately contacted writer services and they corrected that mistake. Mistakes do happen, it's not a perfect system due to human error such as filing playlists and since song titles cannot be copyrighted therefor a song title can get filed with the wrong author/writer although that's rare because each song and writer has an ID number attached on file but I think that's only known to the writer and the appropriate association their registered with.

Ah ha!! If you start writing songs from the age of 12 and from then on get 'em out there on a regular basis just think by your 80th Birthday you could be receiving at least $100 per year thru royalties!! Whoo hoo party hard dude
    post edited by SongCraft - 2009/02/28 23:12:43

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1