No more studio for me (thanks to HP!)

Author
PieterVW
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 184
2008/09/17 09:36:06 (permalink)

No more studio for me (thanks to HP!)

Well, I decided to give up on recording. Ever since I've bought my HP computer, I haven't recorded anything anyway. First there were the terrible issues with my M-Audio Audiophile 2496, so I recently made the switch to an external interface, an Edirol FA-66. That one didn't work at first because HP refuses to use decent chipsets. Well, € 45 and a PCI 1394 controller later, there was sound!

Unfortunately the issues I had with the old M-Audio card were back also. That means flawless playback, until something moves on the screen. Scrolling with your mouse works just like a pitch-bend-wheel on a keyboard, and the simple tracking of Sonar already causes crackling sounds everywhere. Even with the screen turned off, this is the case. Doesn't matter where I placed the monitors, what cabling I used, ... it's a problem in the core of the system.

HP helpdesk hasn't been a great help either. About the "FA-66 not playing"-issues they suggested things like: "try to install the drivers" or even worse "try putting it in another PCI slot" (WTF???).

Anyway, it seems like my computer simply isn't ready for any audio-production at all. I'm a student without an income, so I have no other choice than to stop recording. I'm graduating from university college this year and I'll need a car to go to work, so it's simply impossible for me to buy a new PC. I guess I'll just sell all my gear and go record somewhere else. With a big thanks to HP for f***ing up bigtime. If I would've known they made such crappy products, I would never have invested in new interfaces, new cabling, new computerparts, ...

So if there's anything to learn from this: DO NOT BUY A HP COMPUTER, unless you're just using it as an expensive typewriter ...

25 Replies Related Threads

Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    RE: No more studio for me (thanks to HP!) 2008/09/17 10:09:11 (permalink)
    Pieter,

Wow what a bad experience. I take it you are using a desktop? I have an HP Pavilion DV series laptop and it works just fine with S7PE. Granted I am using several different external intefaces. Just curious what model you have.

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

PieterVW
    RE: No more studio for me (thanks to HP!) 2008/09/17 10:21:08 (permalink)
    Mine's a HP Pavilion a6000 series, desktop model.
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: No more studio for me (thanks to HP!) 2008/09/17 11:39:22 (permalink)
    Hmmmm. I use an HP Pavilion too, a couple of years old, and I haven't had any problems I could trace to that product. On the other hand, I use an external soundcard, my Line 6 Toneport. Makes me wonder if your sound card is the problem.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: No more studio for me (thanks to HP!) 2008/09/17 11:57:27 (permalink)
    Scrolling with your mouse works just like a pitch-bend-wheel on a keyboard

Sounds like an interrupt conflict. If you still have both interfaces installed (FA-66 + M-Audio Audiophile), disable one of them. You don't need two interfaces and there is a potential for conflicts between them. Choose which one you like best (my vote would be for the Edirol, for the better mic preamps) and remove/disable the other.

If the mouse-related problems persist, and you're using the M-Audio card, try moving it to a different PCI slot.

EDIT:
    About the "FA-66 not playing"-issues they suggested things like: "try to install the drivers" or even worse "try putting it in another PCI slot" (WTF???).

What they meant was move the firewire interface to another slot, which of course is only possible if it's a discrete card rather than an integrated interface on the motherboard. Because IRQs are (usually) automatically assigned based on which PCI slot a card is plugged into, moving to another slot may change the IRQ for the FW interface and remove any conflict with the mouse or video adaptor.

post edited by bitflipper - 2008/09/17 12:00:54

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    PieterVW
    RE: No more studio for me (thanks to HP!) 2008/09/17 12:08:15 (permalink)
    Don't have the M-Audio card anymore. I got rid of it because of the audio problem. It just reappeared with the FA-66 ... nothing to do about it. I tried every possible solution, nothing helped. I just guess my computer can't handle it.
    kwgm
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: No more studio for me (thanks to HP!) 2008/09/17 12:20:02 (permalink)
    This pursuit is not for everyone.

--kwgm
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: No more studio for me (thanks to HP!) 2008/09/17 15:51:09 (permalink)
    This thread should be saved as a sticky for every time the topic comes around of why a dedicated DAW computer is different from big-box OEM computers. But then, there are hundreds of these threads.

You just don't know what you're getting with HP, Dell, IBM, Gateway, etc. All kinds of things matter that lurk behind and between the published specs. Multitrack audio is a specialized application that puts unusual demands on a computer's data busses and memory caches and other kinds of lurking things that are not aggressively beta-tested when they make a new office or even gaming machine, and CPU power does not solve all ills. It's russian roulette-- usually it works, but sometimes it doesn't.

I'm very sorry for your troubles, Pieter.
    Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: No more studio for me (thanks to HP!) 2008/09/17 16:15:03 (permalink)
    I had numerous problems with a HP a630n desktop when I tried to use Cakewalk-Sonar on it. Everything from the onboard audio not being recognized to numerous USB and background service conflicts. Most of the HP's just aren't designed to handle streaming ASIO and the locked up onboard Audio is not recognized by the high end Audio recording software. The WDM drivers that work for the HP do not work for most interfaces. I finally got Sonar 5 to work on the HP but I would have to reconfigure so many background services and features that it was a real PITA. If you're going to record get a dedicated DAW machine. Spare yourself the headaches.

Craig DuBuc
    Jessie Sammler
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: No more studio for me (thanks to HP!) 2008/09/17 20:18:03 (permalink)
    If I had it to do all over again, I'd definitely get a ready-made DAW from one of the companies that specialize in it. If a DAW isn't working 100% perfectly, it's completely worthless, and you'd might as well be using it for web browsing and iTunes.
    yep
    RE: No more studio for me (thanks to HP!) 2008/09/18 12:04:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jessie Sammler

...If a DAW isn't working 100% perfectly, it's completely worthless, and you'd might as well be using it for web browsing and iTunes.

Yeah, exactly. And this is so easy to miss amidst all the hype and ad slogans that tell beginners how they can have a complete recording studio on their PC. You're typing a document, and the computer switches apps for some reason-- no big deal. You're browsing the web, and a page hangs-- nuisance, but no more. You're making Christmas cards and the mouse stops responding for a split-second-- who cares? Most of us never notice or think about it but this stuff happens all the time and it doesn't matter until it happens in the middle of recording, when it is no longer a nuisance but an outright show-stopper, sometimes literally. And the computer can be *so close* to being everything you could ever need, but the reality is that it becomes damn near impossible to finish a song while retaining sanity if the computer is not completely responsive and reliable at low latencies.

And whenever those threads come up, there are always a bunch of people who chime in that they have a Dell or a homemade computer from a Newegg kit or whatever and it works great. Maybe so, maybe no, but it misses the point that one computer working for one user in one studio is not even close to a comprehensive test. Change the interface, latency demands, track counts, plugin types, streaming sample demands, use of outboard hardware, specific configuration of seemingly random pieces such as the make and model of DVD drive (really!) and what works great for one person is crippled for another.

There are so many things that go into a computer that are unknowable in terms of the effect they will have on the firewire bus, or UAD compatibility, or low-latency IO demands, and so on. If you can't afford to buy dedicated DAW that costs 20% more, can you afford multiple computers if the Gateway special doesn't work out?

Someday HP will start testing for this stuff, but in the meantime, running a real-time DAW is still something of a hack, and using the machine for a purpose other than intended. If you're going to buy a big-box computer for DAW, buy one with a cash return policy and test the hell out of it.

[/rant]

Cheers.
    PH68
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    RE: No more studio for me (thanks to HP!) 2008/09/18 12:17:39 (permalink)
    I've been using a Lenovo laptop with an FA-66 and Sonar 7PE for a year and had no problems.

The FA-66 is plugged straight into the Lenovo's FW port.

~ Cakewalk ~ Arturia ~ Waves ~ Overloud ~ Windows ~
    Frank Haas
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2490
    RE: No more studio for me (thanks to HP!) 2008/09/18 15:10:44 (permalink)
    Pieter, sorry to hear that..
    we tried to get down to those issues in the other thread..

I know that you can't spend any more money, but here's something you might wanna think about:
    If you can get a hand on a Toshiba Satellite 2430-101,201,.. (they are all very similar), then that might be an option for you..
    I still have 2 of them for audio-work.. I installed a max of 1GB ram on both (they can't handle more than that and have only 512MB when they were shipped) and I have a 7200rpm instead of the 4800rpm drives.
    i.e.
    http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/TOSHIBA-SATELLITE-2430-201-Intel-P4-2-53GHz-1-GB-80GB_W0QQitemZ110289418024QQihZ001QQcategoryZ28837QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The downsides: max. screenresolution of 1024x800(which is a bit less for sonar). It's also a discontinued technology (i.e. IDE HD, pcmcia,..) So you def. would buy "old" gear.. but it's working really good!
    You don't need the fast drives.. if you increase the IO-buffer size a bit then you shouldn't need to worry about the hd-performance..
    the 2.5 Intel Desktop Processor is quite fast,.. not comparable with a duo or quad though..
    You can usually sell that laptop at the price you paid for it.. so that's just something to think about too..
    the really good ones go out for around 280-300€, sometimes you can get one for ~200€ or less..
    it's all Intel/Texas Instruments onboard.. so absolutely no probs with i.e. the FA

post edited by Frank Haas - 2008/09/18 15:13:32
    D K
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1237
    RE: No more studio for me (thanks to HP!) 2008/09/18 16:01:58 (permalink)
    Sorry for your problems Pieter - I have been right where you are - Believe me!!

All is not lost but it's going to take you some time and work to figure it out - wipe the drive clean, Pull all the memory, hdds, video card, etc. and start rebuilding. More then likely you will eventually isolate where the problem is and then be able to *possibly* replace it. Very time consuming and a headache! - Learned this lesson all too well with a Dell. It worked but it was a pita and offered no way to expand without using propeitary hardware.

This is why I went to ADK and had them build me a DAW (and no internet access)- Like most people I have a limited amount of time to spend working in my studio and I can't be wasting the majority of that time dealing with my computer. I finally got it in my thick head that the last place to make compromises in a computer based studio is....THE COMPUTER :)

I can surf and do all that other stuff from a $300 dollar basic PC - need my studio's heartbeat to be Healthy, Powerful and dedicated t 1 thing - STUDIO WORK

Hope you get it worked out..and one more thing.... It sounds like you love music.... I don't think you can get out that easy!..... deal with the computer issues- They are temporary...Your Love and Passion for music will never die...It will just keep bugging you until you satisfy it ... So - Suck it up, do whatever it takes to get the box working (even if it's temporary) and keep rippin -

YOU WILL REGRET IT IF YOU DONT - SO GET TO WORK

www.ateliersound.com

ADK Custom  I7-2600 K
    Win 7 64bit /8 Gig Ram/WD-Seagate Drives(x3)
    Sonar 8.5.3 (32bit)/Sonar X3b(64bit)/Pro Tools 9
    Lavry Blue/Black Lion Audio Mod Tango 24/RME Hammerfall Multiface II/UAD Duo

yep
    RE: No more studio for me (thanks to HP!) 2008/09/18 16:24:42 (permalink)
    As ever in these things, the line of people who are happy with their OEM computers forms to the right...

I don't want to argue with anyone, but I do want to reiterate the point that a non-DAW computer may not work for audio EVEN IF SOMEBODY ELSE USES IT FOR AUDIO AND IT WORKS FOR THEM. So buy the Lenovo or the Toshiba or whatever if you want, but know that the only way to know how well a given computer will work for your audio project is after you have finished it, or by purchasing a computer guaranteed to perform for audio.

Of course, I am positive that somebody is going to ignore the existence of the thread they're posting in, and ignore the fact that lots of people *are* using the exact same computer that is not working for the OP, and will admonish me for fear-mongering or something and point out as evidence that they have a Thinkpad that works great with their M-Audio soundcard recording three tracks at a time at 11ms latency with no outboard processors, and will suggest their model as therefore being a great audio computer.

I am sorry for being a lil Debbie Downer on this topic, but it drives me nuts to see someone buy a shiny new Dell that they were told is "top of the line" and then spend the next year trying to get more than one instance of Amplitube to run simultaneously without freezing the computer, or trying to resolve glitches, hiccups, or timing problems, or trying to stream large sample libraries, or trying to use something like LiquidMix or UAD, or trying to get their software to use multiple cores correctly, or any of the thousand other problems that plague brand-name computers, and then have other people chirping in "works great for me!" with zero specs, track counts, mobo or chipset info, latency info, hardware compatibility, BIOS version, CPU usage of common plugins, or whatever.

HP do not tell you what brand of RAM they are using, because they are using whatever brand is cheapest on the day they build your computer. So two HP 9000 computers made on the same day might have two different brands of RAM. Does that matter? Maybe, maybe not. But if one brand of RAM is not 100% compatible with the MOBO, then it might be a big problem for audio. Microscopic hiccups in data transfer that office users, web surfers, and even graphics-obsessed gamers never notice can ruin your tracks every single time you try to record. What MOBO is Dell using today? nobody knows, and even if you did, it probably wouldn't tell you whether that particular mobo could support *both* high firewire bandwidth *and* certain DVD drives, which wouldn't help you anyway, because there's no way to know which dvd drive or firewire controller you're getting until you open up the computer anyway, for the same reason (this is a real problem).

The specs they post are generic: 3 USB 2.0 ports, one firewire 4-pin, one DVD 8x RW, 300 GB 7200RPM HD, etc. The specific components could be anything, and could vary from one day to the next. And for most computer users, it doesn't matter. But this is not enough to know how the computer will perform at low-latency multitrack audio. It might work great. In fact, I think it is safe to say that the vast majority of DAW users are using Dell or HP or whatever. But there is no way to be sure, because none of these companies test for this kind of performance, nor design for it, nor guarantee it.

I'm going to stop beating this horse after this post, and anybody else can have the last word.

Cheers.
    post edited by yep - 2008/09/18 17:09:41
    Crg
    RE: No more studio for me (thanks to HP!) 2008/09/18 16:55:23 (permalink)
    Cheers to you sir! You've not only hit the nail right on the head you've also driven it deep into the inconsistant flesh of the OEM computer industry. While the secrets of a true DAW machine remain hidden in the mist the rest of us poor souls slog on with what we can get.

Craig DuBuc
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    RE: No more studio for me (thanks to HP!) 2008/09/18 18:15:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: PieterVW

Well, I decided to give up on recording. Ever since I've bought my HP computer, I haven't recorded anything anyway. First there were the terrible issues with my M-Audio Audiophile 2496, so I recently made the switch to an external interface, an Edirol FA-66. That one didn't work at first because HP refuses to use decent chipsets. Well, € 45 and a PCI 1394 controller later, there was sound!

Unfortunately the issues I had with the old M-Audio card were back also. That means flawless playback, until something moves on the screen. Scrolling with your mouse works just like a pitch-bend-wheel on a keyboard, and the simple tracking of Sonar already causes crackling sounds everywhere. Even with the screen turned off, this is the case. Doesn't matter where I placed the monitors, what cabling I used, ... it's a problem in the core of the system.

HP helpdesk hasn't been a great help either. About the "FA-66 not playing"-issues they suggested things like: "try to install the drivers" or even worse "try putting it in another PCI slot" (WTF???).

Anyway, it seems like my computer simply isn't ready for any audio-production at all. I'm a student without an income, so I have no other choice than to stop recording. I'm graduating from university college this year and I'll need a car to go to work, so it's simply impossible for me to buy a new PC. I guess I'll just sell all my gear and go record somewhere else. With a big thanks to HP for f***ing up bigtime. If I would've known they made such crappy products, I would never have invested in new interfaces, new cabling, new computerparts, ...

So if there's anything to learn from this: DO NOT BUY A HP COMPUTER, unless you're just using it as an expensive typewriter ...

PCI m-audio problem, probably needed another slot, prolly sharing IRQ with video card. Too bad you got rid of that card, ccuz it would have prolly worked best in the right slot, but the edirol is a great unit with great mic pre's

DID YOU TRY THIS?:
    Firewire setup prolly the fault of the firewire chipset(this is common problem). You can get a pci firewire card cheap(make sure it has a Texas Instruments chipset) and it should solve the issue with the firewire interface-

here is one for 27 bux-
    http://www.firewire-1394.com/pyro-pci-64.htm

This one is 50 bux, but is is firewire 800(faster)
    http://www.firewire-1394.com/pyro-1394b-pci-card.htm

The first one should be fine though...

post edited by Lanceindastudio - 2008/09/18 18:19:32

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    kwgm
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: No more studio for me (thanks to HP!) 2008/09/19 02:08:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: PH68

I've been using a Lenovo laptop with an FA-66 and Sonar 7PE for a year and had no problems.

The FA-66 is plugged straight into the Lenovo's FW port.

There's one in every thread.

--kwgm
    PieterVW
    RE: No more studio for me (thanks to HP!) 2008/09/21 14:33:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Lanceindastudio

PCI m-audio problem, probably needed another slot, prolly sharing IRQ with video card. Too bad you got rid of that card, ccuz it would have prolly worked best in the right slot, but the edirol is a great unit with great mic pre's

DID YOU TRY THIS?:
    Firewire setup prolly the fault of the firewire chipset(this is common problem). You can get a pci firewire card cheap(make sure it has a Texas Instruments chipset) and it should solve the issue with the firewire interface-

Tried it all mate ... changed IRQ's manually on the M-Audio, tried every PCI slot, nothing changed. Got a PCI FiWi card with TI chipset for the Edirol, that made it work but the noise-issues from the M-Audio reappeared ... I've really looked into everything, and it's just a problem rooted deep inside the computer. Nothing to be done about it.

Guess I'll have some more time to just take up one of my guitars and play a bit. I'll enjoy that!
    Crg
    RE: No more studio for me (thanks to HP!) 2008/09/22 00:04:17 (permalink)
    I'm not sure if you ever told us what Hp computer you are fighting with. There's one listed on the Cakewalk DAW labs page with good reveiws. I'm looking at a new Internet accessible computer that will handle Sonar. It's going to be rough.

Craig DuBuc
    Frank Haas
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2490
    RE: No more studio for me (thanks to HP!) 2008/09/22 02:29:29 (permalink)
    are you using balanced cables from the edirol to your speakers ?
    that's a must to avoid noise!!!
    PieterVW
    RE: No more studio for me (thanks to HP!) 2008/09/22 04:14:06 (permalink)
    Yep, everything that has balanced connections uses balanced cables. Anyway, a bit late for advice now since I returned the unit ... the problem wasn't something I could solve.
    yep
    RE: No more studio for me (thanks to HP!) 2008/09/22 11:00:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Crg

I'm not sure if you ever told us what Hp computer you are fighting with. There's one listed on the Cakewalk DAW labs page with good reveiws. I'm looking at a new Internet accessible computer that will handle Sonar. It's going to be rough.

If a purpose-made DAW is not an option for whatever reason (and they are really not that much more expensive), I think the best thing you can do is to make sure to buy from a vendor that offers cash refunds if you're not happy. this is hard but not impossible to find.

The moral to this story, by the way, is that there is no way to know whether a big box computer will work for audio until you try it. Knowing the specific model does not resolve the question, because there is no guarantee that the specific computer you get will have the same mobo, brand of ram, bios, DVD drive, network adapter, etc as another computer of the same make and model. And those are where these problems come from-- obscure conflicts between unexpected devices in a computer built from commodity components that are *supposed* to be interchangeable (and that usually are). So if HP was getting their DVD drives from factory A when cakewalk tested the model, and from factory B when Pieter got his, and now they have a mix of both versions, then you don't know whether you'll get a good one or a bad one. Moreover, the DVD drive might only cause the problem when coupled with a particular firewire controller or network card that is a configurable option, or that is yet another part that you have no control over.

Cheers.
    lazarous
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1461
    RE: No more studio for me (thanks to HP!) 2008/09/22 11:54:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Crg

I'd love to know how much Cake has made having that advertisement on their page. I hope the answer is "Lots!"

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    New Henry and Buster episodes available!
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: No more studio for me (thanks to HP!) 2008/09/22 13:11:22 (permalink)
    yep's right... it's damned near impossible to find out the intimate details beforehand no matter how much internet research you undertake, and even if the components all spec out the mfr. can switch up and never feel the need to tell you. In 90% of mainstream apps it doesn't matter, so why would they?
    madratter
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 523
    RE: No more studio for me (thanks to HP!) 2008/09/23 18:57:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: yep

This thread should be saved as a sticky for every time the topic comes around of why a dedicated DAW computer is different from big-box OEM computers. But then, there are hundreds of these threads.

You just don't know what you're getting with HP, Dell, IBM, Gateway, etc. All kinds of things matter that lurk behind and between the published specs. Multitrack audio is a specialized application that puts unusual demands on a computer's data busses and memory caches and other kinds of lurking things that are not aggressively beta-tested when they make a new office or even gaming machine, and CPU power does not solve all ills. It's russian roulette-- usually it works, but sometimes it doesn't.

I'm very sorry for your troubles, Pieter.

I'm going to basically agree with this despite the fact that my previous Computer I used with Sonar was an HP as is my current computer.

You are indeed taking your chances buying HP, Dell, IBM, whatever. If you are someone like me who doesn't mind fiddling with this stuff and is willing to take the computer back if it doesn't work, then you might take the chance.

But let's face it, you can spend a lot of hours on getting a PC to work as a DAW and at the end of the day, there is no guarantee you can get it to work at all. And if you value your time, it doesn't take long for the premium of a dedicated DAW computer to be paid off.

And if you are someone who is going to quit trying to record at all due to frustration, this is doubly true.

If you are just going to buy something like Music Creator and give it a go with the built in soundcard, then fine, you are only out some 40$ if things go south. But if you are paying hundreds of 500$-600$ on Sonar PE and another 300$+ on your soundcard, then paying that premium for a DAW from one of the builders with a good rep certainly makes a lot of sense.
    post edited by madratter - 2008/09/23 19:00:16
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1