Helpful ReplyNo sound on one specific MIDI song

Author
jyoung60
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 914
2018/11/01 19:16:23 (permalink)

No sound on one specific MIDI song

I have a couple hundred MIDI songs that all play with no problem.  Everything is set up and everything works. BUT...

Today I discovered one single song that has no sound, at all.

The level meters are showing activity, but I see zero activity on the VST screen, which means the output isn't even getting to the VST (Roland Sound Canvas VA).

I have checked all the usual settings but can't see anything that would prevent output. And there are no rogue CCs or Sysex or anything like that getting in the way. If I load any other MIDI song, they play no problem.  But this one particular one - nothing.

Any idea what I should check?

DAW: Cakewalk by Bandlab (latest version) - x64
VST: Roland Sound Canvas VA
Hardware: Roland MC50mkII Sequencer; Yamaha DGX-660 keyboard; Steinberg UR-44 Interface
EddieLotter
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 98
Re: No sound on one specific MIDI song 2018/11/02 02:37:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cactus Music 2018/11/03 16:18:40
As a test, replace the VSTi with something like the TTS-1 and see if you get sound.

Cheers
Eddie
tecknot
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 766
Re: No sound on one specific MIDI song 2018/11/03 02:40:49 (permalink)
Okay, let me think about this...
Check the following in the listed order:
- Driver Mode in Preferences|Playback and Recording (either ASIO or WDM per your sound card/audio interface);
- Output Drivers in Preferences|Devices (your sound card/audio interface);
- Playback Timing Master Track in Preferences|Driver Settings (usually the first main output pair of your sound card/audio interface), Audio Driver Bit Depth (matching your sound card/audio interface), Sampling Rate (matches your project), Buffer Size (set with slider for WDM Driver mode or the ASIO Panel (which is usually your sound card/audio interface's software settings) at a workable (safe) level;
- All MIDI tracks have corresponding Audio tracks and those Audio tracks have the proper signal input (VSTi output) audio output (usually the Master Bus);
- Master Bus has the proper audio output (usually the main output of your sound card/audio interface);
- Audio Engine is on/active in the Transport Control Module;
- All clips and tracks are in playback/sound mode (that is none are muted (both clips, tracks and buses) and none are soloed);
- Confirm that all Effects are active and not muted, input and output levels are set properly; and
- Just to cover all bases, click on Reset MIDI and Audio in the Transport Control Module.

Hopefully that covers all the settings within SONAR/CbB (not including your VSTi settings or outboard gear/synths) which may contribute to signal flow and playback.  Forgive me if I missed something.

Kind regards,

tecknot

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: No sound on one specific MIDI song 2018/11/03 11:09:58 (permalink)
You’ve probably already thought of all this, but just in case -

Use the event viewer to check there’s no CC7 messages being sent - they usually control synth volume.

Check the MIDI notes don’t have a velocity of zero or so low that the sound is there but inaudible.

Check MIDI channels are set up correctly.

If other MIDI tracks work OK if dragged into the same project the problem is unlikely to be anything to do with preferences etc. It just might be but I’d look at the problem MIDI file first and check the routing it’s using. One way of doing a quick check is to drag the MIDI along the timeline then create a new MIDI clip in the same track and use the piano roll to put some notes in it and see if they play back. If they do that implies an issue with something in the MIDI file.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
Canopus
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 261
Re: No sound on one specific MIDI song 2018/11/03 11:17:27 (permalink)
I don’t know if it has any impact in your particular case, but the Roland Sound Canvas VSTi is known to have some issues with certain hosts. From the Roland product web page:

Due to host application specifications, system exclusive messages cannot be sent from tracks to SOUND Canvas VA in the following hosts.
[Windows]
Windows® 7 SP1/Windows® 8/Windows® 8.1/Windows® 10
- Cakewalk SONAR PLATINUM/Professional/Artist(32-bit Edition/64-bit Edition)
- Ableton Live9 (32-bit Edition/64-bit Edition)
- Ableton Live9 Lite (32-bit Edition)
- Presonus Studio One 3 Professional (32-bit Edition/64-bit Edition)

Due to host application specifications, you cannot use control changes to make correct bank selections and program changes in the following host application.
[Windows]
Windows® 7 SP1/Windows® 8/Windows® 8.1/Windows® 10
- Cakewalk SONAR PLATINUM/Professional/Artist(32-bit Edition/64-bit Edition)

Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: No sound on one specific MIDI song 2018/11/03 16:22:25 (permalink)
I agree with Eddie.
The TTS-1 is based on the Roland sound canvas. I used to own the hardware version myself. It came with a copy of Cakewalk and I was surprised to find the TTS-1 was included as to me this was a better sounding synth at that time.  

What I would do is go to preferences/midi/devices and disable all midi output.
Then just OPEN the midi file, TTS-1 will be automatically loaded and the song will play as the author intended.
If it doesn't, then someone is copy protecting the file somehow. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1