No tutorial is helping me

Author
Briany
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2010/12/13 18:33:08 (permalink)

No tutorial is helping me

I am struggling with this program.At first I thought it would be good for a beginner to open up his own studio within months. It has been 4 months, and i still haven't figured everything out. I am trying to find where to begin, and how to actually record with the in program synth, not using my own instruments, since I am better at doing keyboard synth. I wanted to be able to creat the guitar chords via midi and other instruments, like strings. Is this possible? Is there a way to pull up an in program synth and then record from that? can someone show me screenshots or video of this?

9 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:No tutorial is helping me 2010/12/13 22:18:37 (permalink)
    yes, it's possible, but it's very very difficult to do to make it sound like real strings.  it takes a lot of work and practice and it might not ever sound as good as real strings.  also, the tools that come with MC probably won't ever sound like real strings, but you can start practicing on them.

what have you learned about using softsynths so far?  can you insert a softsynth?  can you use the Piano Roll View?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:No tutorial is helping me 2010/12/13 22:29:07 (permalink)
    Right. You can't strum a keyboard like a guitar. You can't bow the keyboard like a violin. So even if the synth is sampled from an Amati, all you'll get is the sound, not the player.
    It takes a great deal of practice to learn how to 'play' stringed instruments on the keyboard so that they'll sound real.
    As to having the program for 4 months and still haven't figured everything out, I've been at this for over 8 years and still haven't figured everything out.
    Fortunately, I can play guitar.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:No tutorial is helping me 2010/12/13 22:40:37 (permalink)
    My suggestion is to slow down and actually do some study and research. If you have been at it for four month and still know nothing you are going about it wrong. To start with take the time and expense to buy a book on midi and synths, and even Sonar. Get one of Scott Garragus' books. Read practice, ask detailed and focused questions. Rather than "i can't make this work!" Ask something we can answer like how to add a synth in the synth rack, what to do to play drums on a keyboard. How do I .... and be very specific.

How long until Scott shows up?   hhhmmm?

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:No tutorial is helping me 2010/12/14 07:46:39 (permalink)
    Briany,  tell us about your gear. What type of computer, what external soundcard you are using, and what synth/keyboard you are using.

There is a learning curve with this hobby, even with the most basic (MC5) software. However, if you take it one step at a time, and build on what you learn.... it is pardon the pun, " a cakewalk".......

Start by telling us about some info on the background on your gear and what you are trying to accomplish.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Briany
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:No tutorial is helping me 2010/12/14 12:43:57 (permalink)
    Ok, you want my system hardware? I am not sure how to get to it. As you can tell, I am not that computer savvy. Can you give me some pointers to find out my system info,  guitar hacker?

What I am trying to accomplish is to be able to write my own music without having to use my own instruments. I want to be able to sit and put in the instruments I want without having to know how to use them. I am good with strings on my piano, but I don't want to have to record each set and then pull them into the program...but wait, isn't that how an actual recording studio works? You take each track, put them in and then mix them together,or do they record it all at once? I personally have been to three studios, and I have only seen them doing all the instruments all at once.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:No tutorial is helping me 2010/12/14 12:55:25 (permalink)
    you can get your system specs by right clicking on the MY COMPUTER on your desktop.

I personally would like to know about the questions I asked above, tho.  I need to know how much you already know about using softsynths and the Piano Roll View.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:No tutorial is helping me 2010/12/14 13:07:06 (permalink)
    I am good with strings on my piano, but I don't want to have to record each set and then pull them into the program...but wait, isn't that how an actual recording studio works? You take each track, put them in and then mix them together,or do they record it all at once? I personally have been to three studios, and I have only seen them doing all the instruments all at once.

Is it a MIDI piano? You won't have to record them (presumably on the keyboard's recorder) and "pull them in". Just record them in MC.
    Some bands record all at once, live, and then do overdubs, add more vocals, lead instruments, etc., and others like to record them one at a time.
    Being a one-man-band, I have no choice but to record them one at a time. :-)

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:No tutorial is helping me 2010/12/14 13:28:18 (permalink)
    I work by myself now mostly and even with others across the internet. In my studio, I record one track at a time directly into Music Creator (MC). If I had a band, it would likely be the whole band at once...or maybe not.

So yeah, You will need to learn the process (workflow) on how you are going to do it. And unfortunately, or fortunately, I guess, depending on how you look at it, you will most likely need to use your keyboard to create the tracks, one at a time.

With a keyboard, and the MC5 software, you can lay down drum tracks, bass, strings, brass, and more directly into the software.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:No tutorial is helping me 2010/12/14 17:01:24 (permalink)
    I would like to also offer this, when you tell us you know nothing about computers but want to learn to record on one, that tells me that you are not that dedicated to this. I am not mocking you, but trying to give you a bigger picture. If you wanted to become a world class race car driver it would be very advantageous to have at least a working knowledge of your car.

If you own a computer at least know what processor speed it runs at, what type of chip is on the mother board, how much ram is in it. What kind of sound card you have. What the operating system is. All this is important, cause you need to know the minimum specs when you purchase software so that you do not buy things that are totally incompatible.

With your level of knowledge i would suggest going over to sony's acidplanet website, and download the acid express, and then download a floder full of free acidized loops from the net. Then learn to put together loop based tunes, get a feel for putting sounds together. how to string drums and guitar, bass, pianos, strings, synths. Then start to learn midi and add that to it. Then learn to add softsynths to the midi and soon the whole world opens up to you.

This is exactly how i started to learn, and it was great information. I actually learned to make full songs by using preexisting loops and also to make my own and add those in. Once that was possible, i learned to record straight out on MC. So far i can record a pretty good tune without poking my eye out!

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1