Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
metz
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 602
2008/10/13 06:15:47 (permalink)

Noise from graphicscard??

Hey guys!

I have this weird problem. If I connect a guitar to my soundcard and turn up the volume quite a bit then I can hear a weird buzzing sound when moving Windows in Sonar.

Any ideas? I know there's a PCI-slot to avoid when building a computer for musicmaking but cant remember wich one. The first slot?

My setup is the following:

1. Core 2 Duo E8600
2. 3Gb RAM
3. Asus P5N-e motherboard
4. Windows Vista (yeah spare me your comments)
5. Asus 9800GTX+
6. M-audio Delta 66 with Studio I/O
7. Sonar 7 PE

/M

36 Replies Related Threads

DonM
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4129
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/10/13 07:05:37 (permalink)

M:
    I'm sure some elec techs will chime in here.

I have the same issue with my Dell 810 laptop - fairly quiet until I move the mouse - then the noise starts. I agree with moving cards around - but you may also look at grounding issues between your card, machine, and amp. How are you powering your speakers? You might try lifting the ground. This may diminish but not completely eliminate the noise. I have Mackie and Yamaha powered NF monitors - the Mackies are polarized ungrounded and the Yamaha's buzzed until I lifted their grounds. I need to have an electrician review my common ground in the spring to see if I can reduce the noise as well.

-D
    post edited by DonM - 2008/10/13 07:07:45

Ian Ferrin
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/10/13 07:17:30 (permalink)
    Are you plugging into a breakout box or directly into the soundcard in the back of the computer? If the latter, it could just be a shielding thing and you might have to experiment with the different PCI slot. Breakout box systems exist to cut down on noise.

Also, does the sound change if you move around the room w/ your guitar?... If so it might be your guitar shielding and the sound might be your system's reaction to the guitar shielding.

I'm sure there's lots of other possibilities.... Just a couple of thoughts.....

Peace,

"Everyone is a 'believer' - even if you don't believe, that's a belief" - Me

Songs - (at soundclick)
    Sonar Platinum, Native Instruments Komplete 10u, Korg N1R X2 (for some reason I still love this old synth).
    aj
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1084
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/10/13 07:20:50 (permalink)
    It is likely to be a ground loop. There are extensive posts on the forum on this topic if you search for that term.

DO NOT, repeat DO NOT lift grounds to resolve the problem. They are there to protect your life and lifting them seriously compromises your safety. If that doesn't sway you then also consider that ungrounded equipment which is not specifically designed to be double-insulated is likely to end up raised significantly above earth potential when not grounded. Plugging a lead in from such a piece of equipment into a mixer or audio interface is likely to induce a voltage spike which can destroy or at the least degrade the preamp input into which you plug it.

You can resolve ground loops but this is done by using balanced I/O, not by lifting grounds. See some of the other posts on the topic.

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/10/13 07:29:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: metz

Any ideas? I know there's a PCI-slot to avoid when building a computer for musicmaking but cant remember wich one. The first slot?

it's not even avoiding any slot.. it's trying to get cards to not share IRQ's.. if they do clash to an extent where it causes issues, then normally it's moving a card, my machine shares irq's but turning off the networking helps heaps.. the only thing about slots is the heat, I try to avoid putting a card besides the graphics card if I can.

hmm Dom mentioned about ground / shielding.. which is probably what it is.. without the guitar, you turn the volume and there is no issue?

the guitar or the breakout box is causing it to amplify the noise.. I used to be able to do the same thing with a radio, if it was tuned to near 100fm.. it would antinuate (amplify) the signal , so I could hear mouse moves or the hard drive accessing.

how is the guitar being put into the breakout box via an amp? that also might have shielding problem. It's a case of finding what in the chain is causing that problem.

also check for a ground loop, are you using a wall plug splitter? try using a different one, or use the guitar in a different wall socket to test it. A number of customers I used to have had that problem and it went after changing the wall plug adapter.. the easiest way to explain a ground loop , draw a circle on paper, then a smaller one inside about half the size with one edge touching the larger circle. If you imagine the power going around the 2 circles, obviously the smaller circle has less further to travel and it clashes with the out circles signal.

you can get a ground loop isolator to see if that improves matters , or it's called a npr (?) filter.. they are sometimes used in in-car setups.. I had to use one on my car, but you can use them for other things.. so if I rev'd my car engine, the signal would be audible on the audio output and you'd get audible hum, louder the more you rev'd the car.
    post edited by Fog - 2008/10/13 07:35:40
    edentowers
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1164
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/10/13 07:49:11 (permalink)
    I can't find anything about Studio I/O on the M-Audio site.

This link to the M-audio Delta 66 connectivity shows that it is expecting a line level input from a mixer or similar device. If you're just plugging a guitar with its standard jack into the balanced input of the FA-66 then I think you are not going to be getting anywhere near the level you need to drive the interface properly. I expect you're turning things up an awful long way so it's no surprise you are hearing other artefacts from the system.

S8PE, Dell XPS 720 (Q6600), XP Pro SP2, Edirol UA-101
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/10/13 10:41:07 (permalink)
    If I connect a guitar to my soundcard and turn up the volume quite a bit then I can hear a weird buzzing sound when moving Windows in Sonar.

Interesting. Do you get the weird buzzing sound when moving windows in any other app while sonar is open? Do you get the sound when you move the mouse but not a window. You are not talking about crackles that occurr while something is playing in Sonar are you (dropouts) i. e. it still happens if you have a silent track?
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/10/13 11:25:41 (permalink)
    Most likely a ground issue...
    If you're running unbalanced cables/connections... that would make the setup more prone to picking up noise.
    What happens if you plug in a mic via an XLR cable?

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    DonM
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4129
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/10/13 11:32:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: aj

It is likely to be a ground loop. There are extensive posts on the forum on this topic if you search for that term.

DO NOT, repeat DO NOT lift grounds to resolve the problem. They are there to protect your life and lifting them seriously compromises your safety. If that doesn't sway you then also consider that ungrounded equipment which is not specifically designed to be double-insulated is likely to end up raised significantly above earth potential when not grounded. Plugging a lead in from such a piece of equipment into a mixer or audio interface is likely to induce a voltage spike which can destroy or at the least degrade the preamp input into which you plug it.

You can resolve ground loops but this is done by using balanced I/O, not by lifting grounds. See some of the other posts on the topic.

AJ:

I appreciate your post, and agree. As I indicated in my first post, I intend to bring my electrician back into the studio within the next few months (after some equipment changes) to review my grounding issues - fortunately only my Yamaha's were having a problem.

I would also add that I own a Delta 44 and have found it to be very noisy and not useful even in balanced mode for even the most moderate of recordings.

-D

DHardmanJr
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/10/13 16:00:16 (permalink)
    M:

I just went through an almost identical issue this weekend. When the graphics adapter was drawing a window there would be a little burst of fuzz/noise through the speakers. It turned out to be a ground loop. Also, it wasn't just one thing causing the ground loop, it was a lot of little things that when added together made the noise more noticeable. I tracked down what essentially was ground loop after ground loop until I got the noise to go away.

Here are a few things that I found that seemed the most helpful:

The gist of the the things that worked for me:

• Make sure the ground (usually the third prong on the power cord) of all devices goes back to a single hub (for me a Furman power conditioner)
    • If the noise is present or worse when using a particular balanced cable, snip the shield from the plug on the destination
    • If the noise is present or worse when using a particular unbalanced cable, use a ground loop isolator box (often sold for car stereos)

Good luck,
    Dave
    SilkTone
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1566
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/10/13 16:49:49 (permalink)
    A few things to remember:

1) Ground loops not only result in hum and buzz noises, but also high frequency noises that modulate into the audio spectrum (like moving the mouse, graphics card activity, etc).

2) Using a balanced line does not necessarily fix ground problems. Sometimes you still need to lift the ground on the audio cable on one end because the ground loop is causing currents to flow in the ground wiring that causes them to be picked up at any number of places throughout your audio setup. Of course you can only lift the ground wire on balanced audio cables, not unbalanced audio cables.

3) Make sure you use ferrite filters on digital cables like Firewire interface cables etc.

SilkTone

Windows 10 Pro x64, SONAR Platinum 64-bit
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB, ASRock Z97 Pro4, Haswell 4790k @ 4.4GHz
    32GB DDR3/1600, 500GB SSD (OS) + 256 GB SSD + 3TB MD
    NVIDIA GTX-1070, 40" 4K Monitor + 1 Monitor in ISO booth
    SilkTone
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1566
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/10/13 16:53:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DHardmanJr
  • If the noise is present or worse when using a particular unbalanced cable, use a ground loop isolator box (often sold for car stereos)

• I tried using one of those once, but the problem was that the isolation transformer inside the isolation box was so badly shielded that I got more noise when using it. You might be able to get better ones that have proper shielding.

SilkTone

Windows 10 Pro x64, SONAR Platinum 64-bit
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB, ASRock Z97 Pro4, Haswell 4790k @ 4.4GHz
    32GB DDR3/1600, 500GB SSD (OS) + 256 GB SSD + 3TB MD
    NVIDIA GTX-1070, 40" 4K Monitor + 1 Monitor in ISO booth
    RockStringBender
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 416
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/10/13 17:00:48 (permalink)
    What happens when you move your guitar away from the monitor? The pup(s) could be interacting with the screen, especially if it is a CRT. If you are sitting in front of your PC and tracking with a hot or tapped pup you are probably introducing noise into your track even when you can't hear it.

Worth a try to step away from the machine and see if it still produces noise

Luck

I wish my lawn was emo..... then it would cut itself.
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/10/13 17:26:59 (permalink)
    Do you have a CRT display or a flat panel? If a CRT, turn it off and see if the buzzing goes away. If it does, you need to get a flat panel display.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    DHardmanJr
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/10/13 17:38:09 (permalink)

I tried using one of those once, but the problem was that the isolation transformer inside the isolation box was so badly shielded that I got more noise when using it. You might be able to get better ones that have proper shielding.

What I learned from this exercise is that equipment with balanced connections is the way to go. For me I use an Alesis io26 for the in/out to the DAW and it has balanced inputs. For system sounds and other non critical audio I have an older Emu 0404 PCI card which only has unbalanced i/o. So, I had to put the isolaters on the 0404 i/o to completely remove the ground loop. The ones I used are relatively cheap ones (less than $10 on eBay) sold for use in cars and they work pretty good. That said, I wouldn't recommend putting one of these cheap isolaters on the i/o to the DAW itself because who knows what it might do to the frequency response. For system sounds, it was fine.

Dave

mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/10/13 18:09:07 (permalink)
    I know the delta 66 card has balanced inputs. Ground loops and balanced I/O are not necessarily mutually exclusive. ie you can still get ground loops even though the audio connections are balanced. This can be a complex issue that with patience and understanding can be solved.

From your description though I'd start by checking the guitar and certainly if you're connecting the guitar straight into your delta that's a no-no. You need at least a DI box so that your guitar out put and Delta 66 Input are matched.

Just because 2 devices can be connected by what appears to be the same plug type does not mean they should be connected.
    eg in this case the gutar and the Delta have what appear to be 1/4" TS (Tip Sleeve connection) jacks. In reality one will be an unbalanced Hi Z TS plug output from the guitar where as the Delta has a balanced TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve Connection) plug which expects a line level signal. These 2 signals are incompatible and need to be matched. As mentioned you can do this with a DI box. Also guitars (especially single coil pickup) can make lots of electrical noise when placed near other electrical devices, esp CRT monitors. Its worth googling guitar shielding and seeing just what it takes to properly shield your guitar from emitting too much "electrical noise". All the best

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    billruys
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 852
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/10/13 18:59:42 (permalink)
    There are likely a few things going on here. I presume you are not getting this issue when you plug in a mic. There are a few reasons for that:
    (1) A mic is usually balanced, a guitar is not.
    (2) A microphone is usually low impedance (around 600 Ohms), a guitar is high impedance.

High impedance circuits are way more prone to induced interference than low impedance circuits due to loading. Also a balanced line has a much better chance of rejecting noise induced into the cable (due to common mode rejection). Also, the guitar pickup itself is a coil that will pick up EMF. Your video card/monitor may be spitting out noise that all can be picked up by the coil, the cable, or both. Yes, it could also be a ground loop issue, but only if the guitar has another ground path, like via a guitar amp. If you are just going straight to your sound card, this is very unlikely.

I would use a short jack lead from your guitar to a DI and then run balanced into Studio I/O with a mic cable.. This achieves the following:
    (1) The guitar pickup is further away from your PC/Monitor.
    (2) The high impedance, unbalaned guitar cable is shorter, reducing inductive pickup.
    (3) Your connection to your Studio I/O is lower impedance and balanced, rejecting interence.
    (4) If you are using a guitar amp, you can safely use a ground lift on a DI to break the ground loop.

Bill Ruys
    Silicon Audio

edentowers
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/10/14 11:47:16 (permalink)
    Well we've all guessed a lot here, and I have discovered that M-Audio do some kind of an interface that looks like it has a Hi-Z input, but it doesn't seem to be called a Studio I/O.

But it looks like Metz has fallen asleep in Sweden doesn't it. Maybe we won't find out what the problem was until next spring, when the long dark night is over.

Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/10/14 12:02:55 (permalink)
    nah Phil they are watching swedish tv...

with such classics as goto 80 performing..

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uNWmb3IyK70&feature=related

check the costume..the audience won't forget this in a hurry..haha

64 bit engine? nah 64k
    post edited by Fog - 2008/10/14 12:04:20
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/10/14 13:50:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: edentowers

Well we've all guessed a lot here, and I have discovered that M-Audio do some kind of an interface that looks like it has a Hi-Z input, but it doesn't seem to be called a Studio I/O.

But it looks like Metz has fallen asleep in Sweden doesn't it. Maybe we won't find out what the problem was until next spring, when the long dark night is over.

The CURRENT version of the Delta 66 does indeed have only a simple breakout box with LINE LEVEL I/O. But the older version of the D66 came with a breakout box with preamps and other features and they called it an Omnistudio box.

here's one for reference:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/M-Audio-Omnistudio-and-Delta-66-Card-with-a-free-gift_W0QQitemZ280274438188QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280274438188&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A13%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

so if that's what he has then he CAN connect his guitar directly to it without problems. if he has the NEWER version of the D66 with only the LINE LEVEL breakout box, then he needs a DI of some kind between the guitar and the box.

but you're right - he doesn't seem to have returned so maybe he's figured it out or just doesn't care about the responses.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    edentowers
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/10/14 13:58:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fog

nah Phil they are watching swedish tv...

with such classics as goto 80 performing..

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uNWmb3IyK70&feature=related

check the costume..the audience won't forget this in a hurry..haha

64 bit engine? nah 64k

I think, judging by the average age, that most of them must be mentally scarred for life. The way that one little girl turned and looked at the camera summed it up.

"Call any vegetable. Call it by name!"

ew
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1837
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/10/14 13:59:44 (permalink)
    If I remember, the instrument ins on the Omnistudio only had a 300k input impedance; that's not high enough for most guitar pickups.

ew
    metz
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/11/19 04:38:54 (permalink)
    Hey guys!

I don't think anyone of you still is watching this thread but if for some reason you do. Pardon for not replying sooner. I've been really sick so I haven't really been around the computer.

Anyway, I do have the older Delta and Studio I/O. Or at least I think so. I think I bought it around 2001 or 2002. The thing is that I think my problem is deeper than I thought. It's not just a buzzing sound when connecting the guitar. I've been reading some here in the forums and found people talking about the DPC Latency checker program. I found that this program reported a latency of around 1200us even though I run a pretty decent setup (Core 2 Duo E8600 at 3.3Ghz, 4Gb RAM etc...). I found out that when disabling the network card I got drastic improvments but it sure could be better. I have now changed to another NIC and got better results but still not perfect. I get better results on the computer at work wich is a tired old Pentium 4. I can get pretty good latency from the soundcard in sonar without any glitches or stops BUT... When doing things that involve the graphicscard like moving a window, the window scrolls, moving a slider or knob, things like that, then I get this extremely annoying crackles in sound and I don't know what to do. I've seen people mentioning adjusting the PCI-latency and stuff like that but I really need some guidance here. I don't know what to do. I don't have settings in BIOS for that but apperantly there are programs that helps with this but not for Vista? I don't see any IRQ conflicts in device manager and my bios is set for the Operating System to handle Plug and play devices. Any ideas? I don't know how to move on with this.

I will post this in a new separate post as well since I guess noone is reading this ;)

/Mats
    pwal
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2909
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/11/19 06:14:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RockStringBender
    What happens when you move your guitar away from the monitor? The pup(s) could be interacting with the screen, especially if it is a CRT.

+1

i spent way too long looking for a ground loop, when it was my CRT monitor all along...

list of stuff
    hugojacquet
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/11/19 08:31:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pwal

ORIGINAL: RockStringBender
    What happens when you move your guitar away from the monitor? The pup(s) could be interacting with the screen, especially if it is a CRT.

+1

i spent way too long looking for a ground loop, when it was my CRT monitor all along...

Nope, -1

I Think the sound the O.P. "suffers" from is so- called zipper- noise indeed typically when moving mouse pointer....That is most of the time an irq or driver (bad video driver) issue. It would be a good idea to borrow another (low end) video card to test this...
    post edited by hugojacquet - 2008/11/19 08:32:02
    daveny5
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/11/19 08:34:25 (permalink)
    I would also add that I own a Delta 44 and have found it to be very noisy and not useful even in balanced mode for even the most moderate of recordings.

Then you've got something wrong. I've used a Delta44 for years and its as clean as can be.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    daveny5
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/11/19 08:35:48 (permalink)

A Zappa reference!
    post edited by daveny5 - 2008/11/19 08:36:04

Dave
    ericyeoman
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 976
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/11/19 09:18:24 (permalink)
    fesw
    post edited by ericyeoman - 2009/01/25 20:14:15
    edentowers
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/11/19 10:44:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: daveny5

A Zappa reference!

It's sweet of you to notice.

metz
    RE: Noise from graphicscard?? 2008/11/19 10:46:21 (permalink)
    Hey again!

I checked my device manager and see that the graphicscard, SATA-controller (wich I also have had problems with) and soundcard all share the same IRQ, number 16 to be exact. It seems I can't change IRQ manually in Vista for some reason though. Device Manager says that there is no conflict but reports that they are using the same IRQ anyway... How do I change it? And Should my BIOS be set to PNP OS? I've tried both settings but I can't tell any difference.

Thanks for all replies!

/M
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1