Noise with Guitar and Guitar Rig

Author
doncolga
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1519
2014/08/16 21:46:47 (permalink)

Noise with Guitar and Guitar Rig

Hey all,

Disclosure:  I am not a guitar player; however, I have a great 61 Strat Reissue that I love.  But when I use it in Sonar with Guitar Rig 4/5, the combination is insanely noisy.  I'm going from the guitar into a Grace M101 preamp into RME Multiface II into Sonar.  Any recommendations on a solution for that?  Switch position and distance from monitor make a difference, but I was wondering if there were other things I could do as well.

Thanks!
Donny

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes

13 Replies Related Threads

tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Noise with Guitar and Guitar Rig 2014/08/16 22:45:39 (permalink)
    Strats are generally noisy because they generally have single coil pickups which pick up all the radio interference noises given off by computers, screens, amplifiers, light dimmers and anything else. The hotter the pickup output the worse the noise problem. Telecasters are generally noisier than Strats and P90 pickups noisier still.

Technological solutions are to change the pickups for Lace sensors (still single coil but much less hum, though some think they sound "sterile", I happen to like them). Or replace the pickups with "noiseless" ones. These are really variations, depending on make and model, of dual-coil humbuckers. They do alter the tone (often quite a lot) and sometimes the volume and tone pots have to be changed as well. It can be worth while thoroughly shielding the pickguard and control cavity as well, though Fender seem to do a reasonable job of it mostly. Switch positions two and four are usually humbucking on modern Strats because the middle pickup has reverse wiring and magnets to the other two and the combinations make a humbucker.

However, if you want the classic single-coil Strat sound you need single coil pickups. You can use noise gates but they have consequences for attack and sustain.

Guitar forums are full of discussion about this, and google can be very useful as well.

What kind of noise are you getting? Hum/buzz, whining, chattering noises? The simplest solution if practical is often to find a spot where the noise is least obtrusive and play there.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re: Noise with Guitar and Guitar Rig 2014/08/16 22:53:07 (permalink)
    I haven't used them in many years but I used to get pretty good results (live) with a Rocktron HUSH noise reduction pedal.
    sharke
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Noise with Guitar and Guitar Rig 2014/08/17 00:20:30 (permalink)
    My Telecaster is very noisy in all amp sims, as soon as I dial in any kind of high gain tone. However, I have found that if I move my guitar around there will be one freak "sweet spot" that's comparatively quiet. A couple of nights ago it happened to be when I faced away from my DAW and tilted the guitar toward the floor. Not the most comfortable of playing positions 

However, luckily for me, I prefer super-clean or mild-crunch tones and stay away from high gain. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Noise with Guitar and Guitar Rig 2014/08/17 00:23:47 (permalink)
    I put David Gilmore pickups in my Strat - Active electronics, and sound great without a bunch of noise.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Noise with Guitar and Guitar Rig 2014/08/17 01:48:39 (permalink)
    I use humbuckers, but like the sound of single coil on occasion. So, I wired the humbuckers I use as single coil pickups, analyzed the spectrum, and came up with an EQ curve that imposes that spectrum on the humbuckers. It's kind of roundabout, but it works.

I wrote an article that shows the spectrum for single-coil vs. humbuckers, as well as talks about some applications.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re: Noise with Guitar and Guitar Rig 2014/08/17 04:10:38 (permalink)
    Anderton
    I use humbuckers, but like the sound of single coil on occasion. So, I wired the humbuckers I use as single coil pickups, analyzed the spectrum, and came up with an EQ curve that impose that spectrum on the humbuckers. It's kind of roundabout, but it works.

I wrote an article that shows the spectrum for single-coil vs. humbuckers, as well as talks about some applications.

Have you ever recorded JUST the noise, reversed the polarity and then played that with an audio track with the same noise? I recorded a scratch vocal a few weeks ago and wasn't too worried about any noise levels on it, which was good because I had recorded my air conditioner running in the background. I used Adobe Audition to extract the noise from the audio and copied that to a new audio track in Sonar. After flipping the phase of the second track, and playing them together, the noise from the original vocal track was imperceptible.
    Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: Noise with Guitar and Guitar Rig 2014/08/17 04:20:52 (permalink)
    +1 on the "sweet spot" my Blade RH4 has those "lazer" type things (though branded differently) but even those aren't totally quiet. Sitting in your preferred spot, try turning 360 slowly to find the quietest spot. This has always worked for me.
    Grumbleweed_
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re: Noise with Guitar and Guitar Rig 2014/08/17 05:05:03 (permalink)
    Funny someone should start this thread after the fun and games I had yesterday. I was trying to record some slide playing with my Ibanez into a Balance interface and GR5 in Sonar and kept getting "crackling" sounds. After changing leads and using my son's PRS I decided it wasn't the guitar!
    Slightly stumped and frustrated at the moment .

Grum.

Grumbleweed on Soundcloud
    Grumbleweed on Bandcamp
    Grumbleweed on Soundclick

Windows 10 Pro (64 bit), 3770K i7, 8 GB ram, Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Cubase 9.5, Reason 10, CbB.
    Steve_Karl
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2534
    Re: Noise with Guitar and Guitar Rig 2014/08/17 05:42:22 (permalink)
    There are vintage sounding single coil pups that are as noiseless as humbucking pups.
    I once had a set of lace sensors ( maroon ) and they were awesome sounding and very quiet.
    I now have 2 warmoth strats that have Alembic strat systems in them. Very VERY clean and also very powerful and they're close enough to vintage sounding for me.
    If I wanted to build an other strat I'd most likely go with the lace sensors again but maybe a different color.
    They use color to designate the design of the pup and it's sound.

Steve Karl
    https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re: Noise with Guitar and Guitar Rig 2014/08/17 08:15:31 (permalink)
    When you get to the point where you are mixing the noisy, "high gain", squashed to death, square wave into a song you will probably find out that the track has to be balanced/buried down to a level where the noise is inconsequential. If the mix is so bare and uncluttered that the sound of the guitar is prominent enough for the noise to be an issue, you will probaby also notice that the "high gain', squashed to death, square wave guitar track sounds dull, limp, and lifeless. You may find that turning down the gain in the guitar patch enough for the noise to actually go away results in a more interesting and lively sounding tone that sounds great when a guitar track is balanced so as to seem prominent.

Grumbleweed_
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re: Noise with Guitar and Guitar Rig 2014/08/17 09:51:18 (permalink)
    Having messed around a bit more I'm putting it down to my brass slide not being liked by my system!
    I'll buy a glass one .

Grumbleweed on Soundcloud
    Grumbleweed on Bandcamp
    Grumbleweed on Soundclick

Windows 10 Pro (64 bit), 3770K i7, 8 GB ram, Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Cubase 9.5, Reason 10, CbB.
    rsinger
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re: Noise with Guitar and Guitar Rig 2014/08/17 22:55:44 (permalink)
    The first thing to do is get rid of the amp sim. Can you get a clean signal with the guitar, preamp, and RME Multiface II?

Sonar Platinum, 64 bit, win 7 pro - 64 bit 
    Core i7 3770k 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gb Ram, 480Gb + 256Gb SSDs, 1 Tb Velociraptor, Echo AudioFire4

rcrees
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 392
    Re: Noise with Guitar and Guitar Rig 2014/08/18 19:04:11 (permalink)
    sharke
    My Telecaster is very noisy in all amp sims, as soon as I dial in any kind of high gain tone. However, I have found that if I move my guitar around there will be one freak "sweet spot" that's comparatively quiet. A couple of nights ago it happened to be when I faced away from my DAW and tilted the guitar toward the floor. Not the most comfortable of playing positions 

The exact same thing happen(s) with my Tele... it's amazing the contortions I have to get into sometimes... Telesutra...

Best,
    Rob

http://www.rcreesmusic.com
    Dell XPS 8300, Intel Core i7, 8gigs ram, AMD Radeon 6670, Two SATA II 500gig hard drives, one 250gig external USB drive, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, M-Audio Keystation 61es, Windows 7 Home Premium, SONAR X3 Producer, many sample libraries including EastWest PLAYx64 Gold Complete, RA, Stormdrum and Choirs
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1