Nomansland

Author
SoundRegion
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 218
2017/02/11 12:40:02 (permalink)

Nomansland

Here's another of the 2 songs I'm thinking of releasing. Please be as brutal as you need to be.

https://soundcloud.com/so...ion/nomansland/s-fAYNL

Final mix (March 4th)

https://steenelm.bandcamp.com/track/nomansland
post edited by SoundRegion - 2017/03/04 19:20:56

Steen
------------------
Sonar Professional - Akai EIE pro - AKG K240 - AKG C5 - Behringer XM-2000 - Hagström Ultra Swede - Evolution MK-149 - Musima Resonata - Komplete 10 - Mackie CR4 BT
Soundcloud  Bandcamp

16 Replies Related Threads

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Nomansland 2017/02/11 12:46:35 (permalink)
    Some Melodyne on the vocals here and there couldn't hurt. Could use some backing vocals too.

Since you commented on "Three Out Of Four Ain't Half Bad" as having a boomy bass I truly feel that the bass here is bordering on non-existent, IMO. That would have been my crit here regardless of your comment there but you were wondering if it might be your speakers. 
    SoundRegion
    Re: Nomansland 2017/02/11 13:10:44 (permalink)
    bapu
    Some Melodyne on the vocals here and there couldn't hurt. Could use some backing vocals too.

Since you commented on "Three Out Of Four Ain't Half Bad" as having a boomy bass I truly feel that the bass here is bordering on non-existent, IMO. That would have been my crit here regardless of your comment there but you were wondering if it might be your speakers. 

Yeah. I'm beginning to think that, as I noticed it on other tracks afterward. Dissapoint. Maybe I should have chosen the JBL's. Thanks for your feedbank.

Steen
    ------------------
    Sonar Professional - Akai EIE pro - AKG K240 - AKG C5 - Behringer XM-2000 - Hagström Ultra Swede - Evolution MK-149 - Musima Resonata - Komplete 10 - Mackie CR4 BT
    Soundcloud  Bandcamp
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Nomansland 2017/02/11 13:16:53 (permalink)
    bapu

Got to +1 on Ed's comment, again will keep the furry lugs out for the remix. 

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    kloon
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 265
    Re: Nomansland 2017/02/11 13:33:16 (permalink)
    Nice song. Good strong songwriting!
    I do not agree on melodyne.
    I hear potential in your voice but it is not really working the way you sing now.
    You are playing it safe, and not really hitting all the notes. It becomes a mix of talking and singing.
    My advice, see a vocal coach. Im pretty sure he/ she could do magic because i hear potential.

dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Nomansland 2017/02/11 13:39:51 (permalink)
    Not a bad start. If you can take this to the next level, you've got something. I do agree that there is hardly any bass here, but that's only part of what needs to be addressed. Your vocal, overall, is better on this than on "That's What She Said", so I would focus on getting the instruments to better support your vocal.

The monitors may not be the problem if you haven't taken a hard look at your mixing space.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Nomansland 2017/02/11 14:56:36 (permalink)
    dcumpian
    The monitors may not be the problem if you haven't taken a hard look at your mixing space.

Regards,
    Dan

As I just returned from errands, as I was driving I was going to come back and say this. So Dan beat me to it.
    SoundRegion
    Re: Nomansland 2017/02/12 01:42:22 (permalink)
    kloon
    Nice song. Good strong songwriting!
    I do not agree on melodyne.
    I hear potential in your voice but it is not really working the way you sing now.
    You are playing it safe, and not really hitting all the notes. It becomes a mix of talking and singing.
    My advice, see a vocal coach. Im pretty sure he/ she could do magic because i hear potential.

I guess that's good as I always thought it would be cooler to create the songs rather than sing them. It's just no fun write songs and not have them go anywhere. I'm not sure about the vocal coach. On the other hand I would not put anything out that sounds terrible. I just I'll have to practise.

dcumpian
    Not a bad start. If you can take this to the next level, you've got something. I do agree that there is hardly any bass here, but that's only part of what needs to be addressed. Your vocal, overall, is better on this than on "That's What She Said", so I would focus on getting the instruments to better support your vocal.

Regards,
    Dan

bapu
    dcumpian

Regards,
    Dan

As I just returned from errands, as I was driving I was going to come back and say this. So Dan beat me to it.

I feel like and idiot right now, as I remembered there were some foam rubber pads that came with the monitors. I guess they're meant to prevent the table to "sing along" and keep the neutrality. I fetched them form the box and it helped. I had replaced my sampled bass with a synth bass, but now it's back in.
    Thanks for the feedback Dan. "That's what she said" was just written earlier this week, so I haven't sung it as much yet. Gonna take some more cracks at it.

Steen
    ------------------
    Soundcloud  Bandcamp
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re: Nomansland 2017/02/12 11:47:22 (permalink)
    There's a lot of potential in this song, Steen, and as for the vocal-sometimes transposing a song up a step or two can bring out the best in one's voice.  I'd like to hear your voice in another range, and who knows?

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    SoundRegion
    Re: Nomansland 2017/02/13 03:06:18 (permalink)
    Lynn
    There's a lot of potential in this song, Steen, and as for the vocal-sometimes transposing a song up a step or two can bring out the best in one's voice.  I'd like to hear your voice in another range, and who knows?

Thanks Lynn. It's not a bad idea as I did that with "The key to your heart" and that worked well, but unfortunately my vocal range isn't that wide as I would have liked. I'll test it though.

Steen
    ------------------
    Soundcloud  Bandcamp
    eph221
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4665
    Re: Nomansland 2017/02/13 15:29:52 (permalink)
    I brutally love this.

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
     Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
    32GB RAM
    WINDOWS 10
    My Ass
    Cubase 9.5

Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re: Nomansland 2017/02/13 20:56:01 (permalink)
    This is a good song.  It does sound as if it has commercial radio potential.  The only suggestion that I might have is to maybe loosen it up a bit.  I'm not competent enough to pick out if it is the drums, tempo, or something else.  As far as your vocals, Lynn had a good idea about trying out a different range.  However, I have the feeling that if the song "flowed" a bit more your vocals would fall right into it.
    I just listened to the song again and I really like it.  You have a lot of potential in this song.
    Nice one!!!!
    emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: Nomansland 2017/02/14 00:30:03 (permalink)
    Well, I don't think your voice is any huge problem. I'd try more reverb, and some tricks, like certain words delayed and fed back. Or copy the vocal track, send this through some light flanging, and mix back in to taste.

the melody is actually quite catchy!

For sure, for sure, consider giving it some sort of 80's Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark (OMD) treatment - you are more than halfway there as it is.

I am prepared, completely prepared, to be brutal about the drums. I think you could add a couple of different midi files to the drum choices - break up the pattern. It's kind of samey. I am prepared to go further on about hi hats, if anyone cares  :)

But drums aside, keep it! It's nice and measured, and if you added some perky synth leads, like OMD or maybe Yaz, this could be pretty interesting indeed.

I'd say very nice job!

-Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    SoundRegion
    Re: Nomansland 2017/02/15 15:42:23 (permalink)
    eph221
    I brutally love this.

Thanks a lot for that !

Freddy J
    This is a good song.  It does sound as if it has commercial radio potential.  The only suggestion that I might have is to maybe loosen it up a bit.  I'm not competent enough to pick out if it is the drums, tempo, or something else.  As far as your vocals, Lynn had a good idea about trying out a different range.  However, I have the feeling that if the song "flowed" a bit more your vocals would fall right into it.
    I just listened to the song again and I really like it.  You have a lot of potential in this song.
    Nice one!!!!

Thanks a lot for your comments. I'll see what I can do.
    emeraldsoul
    Well, I don't think your voice is any huge problem. I'd try more reverb, and some tricks, like certain words delayed and fed back. Or copy the vocal track, send this through some light flanging, and mix back in to taste.

the melody is actually quite catchy!

For sure, for sure, consider giving it some sort of 80's Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark (OMD) treatment - you are more than halfway there as it is.

I am prepared, completely prepared, to be brutal about the drums. I think you could add a couple of different midi files to the drum choices - break up the pattern. It's kind of samey. I am prepared to go further on about hi hats, if anyone cares  :)

But drums aside, keep it! It's nice and measured, and if you added some perky synth leads, like OMD or maybe Yaz, this could be pretty interesting indeed.

I'd say very nice job!

-Tom

Thanks for your input. I know that my drums isn't my strong point, I just not very good at the variation. Not sure just how to ODM-it-up, but I'll think about it,

Steen
    ------------------
    Soundcloud  Bandcamp
    michaelhanson
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3529
    Re: Nomansland 2017/02/15 19:37:32 (permalink)
    Yep, I would work on a drum track that sounds a little more realistic and the lead vocal.  Other than that, its a pretty good song.  

Steen, the first thing that struck me about your vocal, was that you didn't sound relaxed, but rather tight or too controlled, while singing.  I'm looking for the right description, and maybe this isn't quite it, but just more natural or relaxed.....  more emotion.  

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
    https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
    iTunes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
    BMI
    daryl1968
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: Nomansland 2017/02/16 10:46:04 (permalink)
    I really like the sparse arrangement and it's a pretty catchy song.
    I would also add some backing vocals and maybe add some elements as the song progresses to build it up. Nice
    SoundRegion
    Re: Nomansland 2017/03/04 19:20:07 (permalink)
    Final mix:

https://steenelm.bandcamp.com/track/nomansland

redid the vocals and I'm fairly satisfied. No going to do more songs though.

Steen
    ------------------
    Soundcloud  Bandcamp
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1