Non drummer needing a "cheat sheet" for SD 3 sequences

Author
silvercn
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1238
2011/03/13 17:25:39 (permalink)

Non drummer needing a "cheat sheet" for SD 3 sequences

HI - not being a drummer but someone who wants to create accurate sounding drum tracks, I am interested in some "rules of thumb" For example, what two parts of a kit are usually not played at the same time, when is it best for a crash to occur,,,etc. I realize that  much of these factors are to personal taste and style, but I figure there must be some rules of the road to go by.

Thanks

8 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Non drummer needing a "cheat sheet" for SD 3 sequences 2011/03/13 17:48:35 (permalink)
    it partly dpends on the music your making.. I mean you could be doing dance music.. where the timing has to be tight as a rule.

apart from the obvious of over quantising things (and swing / groove) .. velocities are another aspect you might want to look into.

or failing that you could get midi patterns to work with it

M@ B
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1128
    Re:Non drummer needing a "cheat sheet" for SD 3 sequences 2011/03/13 19:20:15 (permalink)
    hi silver,
    well, being that a drummer has got only two arms (i'm not going there...), he or she usually can't or doesn't play the hi hat while he's going across the toms or wile he's doing a snare roll. he also usually can't or doesn't hit the hi hat at the same time as the crash or ride.

think about it like that... he's only got two arms. although, when a really talented drummer is doing crossovers and stuff like that, you can watch in disbelief wondering how they can do it all with just two sticks. i don't think anybody wants to try and program those kind of drums in the piano roll though.

the allman brothers and a couple other bands have two drummers, that's something else, but they usually play as one anyway, just bigger.

hth.
    post edited by M@ B - 2011/03/14 02:01:54

Norrie
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1665
    Re:Non drummer needing a "cheat sheet" for SD 3 sequences 2011/03/13 19:48:11 (permalink)
    M@ B

hi silver (i was tempted to say hi ho silver, but i didn't ),
    well, being that a drummer has got only two arms (i'm not going there...), he or she usually can't or doesn't play the hi hat while he's going across the toms or wile he's doing a snare roll. he also usually can't or doesn't hit the hi hat at the same time as the crash or ride.

think about it like that... he's only got two arms. although, when a really talented drummer is doing crossovers and stuff like that, you can watch in disbelief wondering how they can do it all with just two sticks. i don't think anybody wants to try and program those kind of drums in the piano roll though.

the allman brothers and a couple other bands have two drummers, that's something else, but they usually play as one anyway, just bigger.

hth.

The Hiting a Hi hat at the same time as a ride is not exactly right..... Some times us drummers will be playing a groove on the Ride Kick n snare and hit an accent useing a slightly oppen hi hat.

Basic Rules I guess would be Like as said above just think how many things can you hit with 2 sticks at the same time you couldnt hit 2 crashes and a snare at the same time or 2 crashes and the Ride and snare.

You could youtube some videos on the style of drumming you are looking for and have a idea from watching them.

I could also drum for you useing a Td20 if you like and then send you the midi back to use in SD3 if you like :) Feel free to ask anytime.

Norrie

Norrie
    post edited by Norrie - 2011/03/13 19:49:48

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    silvercn
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1238
    Re:Non drummer needing a "cheat sheet" for SD 3 sequences 2011/03/13 20:04:48 (permalink)
    Thanks - It is for sure not rocket science ! I guess I never really thought about it until I was watching the Master Class on Sonar University on creating a multilayered track with SD 3, and he mentioned about the ride /crash and hat not occuring together - regarding how to edit parts with Step Sequencer. Prior to that just using loop files I never would have given it much consideration....
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Non drummer needing a "cheat sheet" for SD 3 sequences 2011/03/13 20:06:16 (permalink)
    The easy way to write those sort of tracks is to look into Jamstix.  www.rayzoon.com is the site for it.

JS will create a track fro you in a style you specify and it is so much easier than trying to drag in loops or write one yourself if you do not have percussion skills.

I have it, use it, and highly recommend it.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    M@ B
    Re:Non drummer needing a "cheat sheet" for SD 3 sequences 2011/03/13 21:30:00 (permalink)
    Norrie

M@ B

hth.

The Hiting a Hi hat at the same time as a ride is not exactly right..... Some times us drummers will be playing a groove on the Ride Kick n snare and hit an accent useing a slightly oppen hi hat.

Basic Rules I guess would be Like as said above just think how many things can you hit with 2 sticks at the same time you couldnt hit 2 crashes and a snare at the same time or 2 crashes and the Ride and snare.

You could youtube some videos on the style of drumming you are looking for and have a idea from watching them.

I could also drum for you useing a Td20 if you like and then send you the midi back to use in SD3 if you like :) Feel free to ask anytime.

Norrie

Norrie

i'm not splitting hairs or anything, and you are a drummer and i am not, but i did say "usually."

Norrie
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1665
    Re:Non drummer needing a "cheat sheet" for SD 3 sequences 2011/03/13 21:35:56 (permalink)
    M@ B

Norrie

M@ B

hth.

Norrie

Norrie

i'm not splitting hairs or anything, and you are a drummer and i am not, but i did say "usually."

I am sorry if you tok that as me being nasty I didnt meen it to come across that way at all so I am sorry.

I only ment sometimes this can be quite a normal thing like hiting a splash in some situations at the same time as hiting a ride or even a ride and China or any type of accent.

I am sorry if it came across as me being rude I really didnt meen it to be It was only ment as a suggestion to not rule it out.

I am sorry though

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    M@ B
    Re:Non drummer needing a "cheat sheet" for SD 3 sequences 2011/03/13 22:04:52 (permalink)
    no apology necessary. the op asked for some rules of thumb, i was trying provide that. i would never claim to think like a drummer, because real drummer have a very deep sense of time and an ability to split brain and body to do four independent rhythms at the same time. i play bass, so i can appreciate a drummer's talent. sorry for the confusion.
    matt

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1