Helpful ReplyNon-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
2014/07/25 13:45:17 (permalink)

Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel?

Saw this from jb101 in the thread on ProChannel development:

@ShellstaX - The FX  Chain Module has almost completely replaced the FX bin for me.  It adds so much more functionality (if that's a real word) to the signal chain in Sonar.

I can now create PC modules that I want.  With the bundled Nomad FX, I now have a Pulteq EQ and a Fairchild compressor in the ProChannel.  It also works as a great "gain stage".

Which got me thinking about which FX Chains/VST FX would work best in the ProChannel. The Pultec and Fairchild mentioned above make a lot of sense, because you'd want to adjust them in context. OTOH something like Channel Tools seems more useful for the FX bin because it's probably more of a set-and-forget type of situation - there's no real need to have it take up space in the PC. Ditto "wideners" and other FX that you adjust and leave alone.

Delay seems like a good effect to put in the PC because I think a lot of times you might want to adjust it in conjunction with EQ and dynamics. Same with multiband dynamics as an alternative to the Concrete Limiter's stereo operation.

Any thoughts about what works best in the bin and works best in the PC?

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/25 13:55:26 (permalink)
I tend to set and forget all plugins.

Best
John
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/25 14:06:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mudgel 2014/09/21 05:35:52
What you have listed already Craig are good suggestions.  I honestly do not use the FX Bin much any more, other than when I drop in an Amp Sim.  I like the PC and adding the FX Chain box because I can see exactly in the signal chain where everything is placed. 

What still throughs me all the time is the Pre and Post on the PC.  When ever I have something in the FX Bin and PC going at the same time, the plug in the FX Bin will not be reacting for me the way I want.  It will take me forever to remember to check to see if I switched the PC to Post and it never fails that is my issue.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
Anderton
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/25 14:43:11 (permalink)
MakeShift
What you have listed already Craig are good suggestions.  I honestly do not use the FX Bin much any more, other than when I drop in an Amp Sim.  I like the PC and adding the FX Chain box because I can see exactly in the signal chain where everything is placed. 

What still throughs me all the time is the Pre and Post on the PC.  When ever I have something in the FX Bin and PC going at the same time, the plug in the FX Bin will not be reacting for me the way I want.  It will take me forever to remember to check to see if I switched the PC to Post and it never fails that is my issue.

Bring up the Console view for a quick look (I keep it docked in the background, and type "D" to toggle it in and out). There's a Post button in the PC section of the channel strip.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Wookiee
Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
  • Total Posts : 13306
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/25 15:06:57 (permalink)
I find putting any FX I use in an FX chain just means I do not have worry about setting the post button on the channel.  Also it gives that gain structure advantage mention in the other thread.

I suppose I also see the channel as the last link in my recording chain i.e. Source instrument, in line FX, recording console.  Keep it simple is my motto.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
stevec
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/25 15:17:37 (permalink)
Ditto, Wookie.   I pretty much look at it the same way. 

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/25 15:21:23 (permalink)
I've never used the FX bin and see no need to. I just look on the ProChannel as my effects chain for the track and freely mix PC modules with 3rd party plugs in FX chains. Sometimes I'll have 3 or more FX chains mixed in with the PC modules, depending on how I want the effects ordered. The downside of FX chains is that you sometimes end up hosting just one plug in each of them, which obviously wastes a lot of vertical space. I really wish there was a way of collapsing them to the height of however many effects you have in them. FX chains to me are just placeholders for 3rd party plugins. I've never really used the controls on them.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
smallstonefan
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2724
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/25 16:36:17 (permalink)
The only two effects I use in the FX Bin are Slate Virtual Tape and Slate Virtual Console - since I want them at the beginning of the chain and almost never edit them. Honestly, if I could increase the space of the FX Bin in the console view to show about 6 plugins, I would use it a lot more.

I use FX Chains for everything else, and I've saved presets (Guitar, Bass, Kick, Rack Tom, Floor Tom, Snare, etc.) to make it easy to get started mixing a track.

On the 2Bus, I have an FX chain for the bus (buss compressor, another virtual tape sim, and sometimes a clean EQ like Maag) and a separate FX Chain with Ozone and fGX so I can just turn off the mastering stuff by turning off the FX Chain.

I do wish there was a way to have a single button to toggle between two different FX Chains to A/B different approaches to a track...
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/25 16:45:26 (permalink)
I would also really like having larger (or resizable) bin in the console view. Not to mention more simultaneous sends. Both of those are much more important to me than more plugs in the PC. I don't use the PC at all. An important reason for that I prefer having the volume, pan and send controls in my inspector. Whenever I need to adjust an effect, any effect, a simple double click opens the relevant one. In console view I've never gotten used to the PC view, though this is obviously due to lack of effort on my part. I don't like to have some tracks double width and not others, etc.
...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/25 18:11:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chilldanny 2014/07/28 16:54:14
I'll tell ya what I'd like to see in the pro-channel: sends. Like, an I/O module. I've seen mentioned a bunch the new compressor plugs that have a wet/dry on them so you can do "parallel compression". Well, I don't know of a decent recipe for that which doesn't also entail adding some EQ on the parallel compressed signal, which you can't do with a simple wet/dry knob. An I/O module would let you send that signal out to a separate track for the rest of the recipe.

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
jimkleban
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1319
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/25 18:45:54 (permalink)
Thank you for a great thread. I haven't revisited the PC since it was first introduced and I found it somewhat useless back then.  Now that I know it has evolved (thanks to this thread), seems like I have some fiddling to do this weekend to check this out.

Craig, thanks for becoming more active on this forum.  You have consistently brought up subjects that have been real useful for me.

Thanks again,
Jim

The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI
www.lldom.com

Studio Cat Custom i7 with Thunderbolt (wonderful system built and configured by our own Jim R)
Apollo Duo (via TB)
UAD Quad
UAD Duo
WIN 8.1 x64 with 32 GB Ram
4 SSD for programs and sample libraries
Splat (latest version)
Anderton
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/25 19:20:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chilldanny 2014/07/28 16:54:34
smallstonefan
I do wish there was a way to have a single button to toggle between two different FX Chains to A/B different approaches to a track...

There's a workaround for that.

1. Clone the track. Insert the FX chain "A" in one track, and the FX chain "B" in the other.
2. Turn on one track's mute switch.
3. Group the mute switches for both tracks.

Now when you enable one mute switch the other will turn off, and vice-versa.

Anderton
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/25 19:20:57 (permalink)
jkleban
Craig, thanks for becoming more active on this forum.  You have consistently brought up subjects that have been real useful for me.

Hopefully this won't be the last one 

BENT
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 355
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/25 19:21:11 (permalink)
I love the pro-channel, really I do... “but” (here we go) I believe there is so much to improve about it. 

When focus is on the Inspector why can't it have hotkeys? so we can... 
    Load module
    replace moduleload
    save pre-sets
    global on/off
    docking options
    lock current track bus
    set post effect bin
    set colour
why not Multi inspectors to allow display of the active track inspector and a master bus inspector as well 

open and closing of the UI of plugins in the FX chain as you change active track (for people like me with 3 monitors this would be a brilliant idea) 

improved FX Chain controls

I have empirical evidence this is true... (Bender told me!) 
Cakewalk by BandLab, Splat and other DAW's
PC = Win 10 64 Bit, i7 3770, 16Gb RAM, 256GB Samsung 2.5’ 840 PRO SATA6GB/s SSD 1, and 2 x 2Tb Internal, 
Monitors = 2 24” Samsung SA450 and 1 20” Dele
Edirol = Octa-Capture-UA1010, Quad-Capture-UA55, PCR-500,
Berringer 2 x FBC 1010 Alesis Control Pad KRK monitors
brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/25 19:30:43 (permalink)
The only thing I'd like to see is a keyboard shortcut to expand/contract the PC vs. using the Inspector. For other plug-ins, a noise-gate (fast<->slow shutting) would be very nice. I'm using Waves CLA Signature Drums with its softgate to gate drums and vocals.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/25 19:43:31 (permalink)
brconflict
The only thing I'd like to see is a keyboard shortcut to expand/contract the PC vs. using the Inspector.

A "Show/Hide ProChannel" function is exposed for binding in the Console view.
smallstonefan
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2724
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/25 19:43:46 (permalink)
Anderton
smallstonefan

1. Clone the track. Insert the FX chain "A" in one track, and the FX chain "B" in the other.

Cool, thanks for the workaround! 

Wait... I just tested this and you can group the Bypass buttons on two FX Chains in the same way. Not a workaround, problem solved! :) Thanks Craig!
lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/25 20:08:48 (permalink)
Anderton
Saw this from jb101 in the thread on ProChannel development:

@ShellstaX - The FX  Chain Module has almost completely replaced the FX bin for me.  It adds so much more functionality (if that's a real word) to the signal chain in Sonar.

Any thoughts about what works best in the bin and works best in the PC? 

I fully agree with ShellstaX. I use at least one FX Chain Module on most tracks. Basically that's my moveable FX bin that enables me to put whatever plug-in(s) are appropriate anywhere in the ProChannel signal flow.

A great example is an amp sim. I happen to use Amplitube the most now. That always goes in an FX Chain for me, and then I can mix and match other plug-ins or the ProChannel modules to get the track into a "most excellent/tasteful" place.

I tend to freeze tracks and that freezes the whole processed signal, gives me a great audio track to work with, and everything is taken out of the CPU demand. I can unfreeze anytime as needed for a quick adjustment.

What works well in the ProChannel or in a ProChannel FX Chain? Just about everything I would say. Just not an effect needed to specifically effect a clip, in which case the Clip FX bin would be the spot for the effect.

I will add that I use the busses and plug-ins on those (obviously not frozen on busses) for a lot of the real-time experimenting with mixing.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/25 21:25:24 (permalink)
A spectrum analyser with a pull out/pop out window like the eq would be useful in the pro channel.

How about an exciter/enhancer?

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
jb101
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/25 21:28:34 (permalink)
I use the ProChannel almost exclusively now.

I even put my Amp Sims in FXChains, unlike Makeshift, as I can assign any parameter, such as turning "Chorus" on/off, or increasing/decreasing"Gain", to one of the FXChain controls.  Then I can hide the VST GUI, and still tweak as I go.

I can also customise the PC FXChain GUI to make it instantly recognisable, and then save it as a preset, or as part of a track template.

@Craig - I know what you mean about putting "Set-and-forget" VSTs like Channel Tools in the FX Bin, but I have become so used to using the ProChannel that I often lump things like that together in an FXChain, collapse it, and forget about it.  I can then bypass them by clicking on the FXChain "On/Off" button, or adjust the Input/output Gain, or open up their GUI all from the inspector or Console View, with little effort.

@Sanderxpander - If you have not played around with the ProChannel since the implementation of The PC FXChains, I highly recommend another look.  It's great.

As you may have gathered, I like the ProChannel, and think the implementation of PC FXChains was a stroke of genius.

Sonar Platinum
jb101
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/25 21:29:53 (permalink)
tlw
A spectrum analyser with a pull out/pop out window like the eq would be useful in the pro channel.

Doesn't X3 Producer have this?

Sonar Platinum
lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/25 21:30:14 (permalink)
tlw

I use Alloy 2 in an FX Chain in the ProChannel. It has a great exciter feature among other things.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
TomHelvey
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 537
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/25 22:24:28 (permalink)
Thanks Craig for posting on this. I just played with it for the first time after reading this, it's pretty cool to be able to patch 3rd party plugins in the pro-channel strip. It's a nice place for Waves SSL stuff to live.
I like that you can map controls and have them show up in the pro-channel strip for easy access.
Neato!

System: i7-6900, 64Gb, AMI X99 Carbon Pro Gaming, AMD Radeon HD 7700, Win 10 Pro
PCIe: UAD Octo
USB: MOTU midi express 128, OB-6 Module, Akai MPK-249, Moog SUB 37, Antelope Orion 32 HD, Softube Console 1, iLok, eLicenser
DAW: Cubase Pro, Ableton Live, Sonar Platinum
Plugins: Waves, UAD, Xfer, Lennar Digital, u-he, Reveal Sound, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, VPS, Blue Cat, iZotope, NI, Valhalla, Lexicon, etc.

https://soundcloud.com/thomas-helvey
Anderton
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/25 22:31:17 (permalink)
tlw

I always felt the QuadCurve EQ "Gloss" control did this to some degree.

Anderton
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/25 22:33:15 (permalink)
jb101
@Craig - I know what you mean about putting "Set-and-forget" VSTs like Channel Tools in the FX Bin, but I have become so used to using the ProChannel that I often lump things like that together in an FXChain, collapse it, and forget about it.  I can then bypass them by clicking on the FXChain "On/Off" button, or adjust the Input/output Gain, or open up their GUI all from the inspector or Console View, with little effort.

Very good point.

As you may have gathered, I like the ProChannel, and think the implementation of PC FXChains was a stroke of genius.

I agree!

ShellstaX
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 502
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/26 00:25:56 (permalink)
smallstonefan
Anderton
smallstonefan

Wait... I just tested this and you can group the Bypass buttons on two FX Chains in the same way. Not a workaround, problem solved! :) Thanks Craig!

Gents - valid workarounds ...
... but why not simply add (duplicate - tweak) FX Chain Modules to the Prochannel and use bypass(power) on the individual modules on the strip? (granted - 2 buttons instead of one. Perhaps less set up (?))
Many ways to skin the proverbial cat.

Also generally ...
Great to see that at least 2 people have been enlightened to the way of the ProChannel FX Chain Module.
That was my point from the initial post (other thread). It's largely unvaunted ... but should be. Until I 'discovered' it, which most will do on a learning curve, I thought I had a dozen or so modules - not so, many more uses.
Also great to see most utilizing it effectively (and inventively).
Thanks for raising the topic to primary post status for wider awareness Craig. (As a relative noob, I didn't know how bleedin' obvious it was - but knew I found it useful). 

Anderton
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/26 01:36:20 (permalink)
smallstonefan
Anderton
smallstonefan

Interesting - what you describe doesn't work if the FX chains are in the FX bin, but it DOES work if they're in the ProChannel.

What I described is what I do when the FX chains are in the bin. I never tried it with FX chains in the ProChannel because I figured if it didn't work in the bins, it wouldn't work in the PC.

So, now you've shown me something I didn't know...thanks!

Anderton
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/26 01:41:00 (permalink)
ShellstaX
... but why not simply add (duplicate - tweak) FX Chain Modules to the Prochannel and use bypass(power) on the individual modules on the strip? (granted - 2 buttons instead of one. Perhaps less set up (?))

Being able to switch in an A/B fashion makes it easier to do comparisons...you don't have a time when both are on at the same time, or both are off at the same time. But yes indeed...many ways to skin the cat, that's for sure.

Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/26 03:09:22 (permalink)
jb101, thanks, I was aware but may give it another go. My main issues are simply that I don't like all of the PC modules (meaning I have 3rd party stuff I want to use) and I would rather have my sends and fader/pan controls for easy access in my inspector. I just don't see the time saving aspect in my workflow, just eye candy (and some of the plugs sound good of course).
Ruben
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 472
Re: Non-ProChannel Plugs Worth Putting in the ProChannel? 2014/07/26 03:13:44 (permalink)
ShellstaXGreat to see that at least 2 people have been enlightened to the way of the ProChannel FX Chain Module. That was my point from the initial post (other thread). It's largely unvaunted ... but should be. Until I 'discovered' it, which most will do on a learning curve, I thought I had a dozen or so modules - not so, many more uses.

When X1 was released, that is exactly what I thought of PC - just limited to a few modules, some of which had to be purchased separately. And at the time I didn't investigate any further (Perhaps I didn't read the marketing material thoroughly enough). But after looking closer at PC (and the FX Chain) I'm finding that I'm using PC more. It's a pretty cool idea.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1