Noob is Choosing An Audio Interface

Author
skitracks
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
2010/07/14 18:13:30 (permalink)

Noob is Choosing An Audio Interface

Well, after surfing and reading a lot, I've finally worked up enough nerve to sign up to the forums and ask some questions. This is my first post.

Introducing myself to Cakewalk years ago with Music Creator, I became familiar with the user interface, and last year found a new version of Sonar 6 Producer Edition on ebay for a great price. Now, I want to build a DAW after choosing an audio interface.

I find myself extremely interested in the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, I assume for the obvious reasons of features and DSP quality for the price.  But....I've read a lot of Jim Roseberry's comments regarding the round trip latency shortfalls and the warning to stay away form DICE II chipsets...

...and I've noticed that Cakewalk doesn't put Focusrite in their list of interfaces.

Yeah, I know...question....what is the question.....

Well, I have a few.

1.  Is the DICE II chipset still an issue with this interface and Sonar (I'll be using Sonar 6)?

2.  I've heard that Focusrite's sound quality outperforms the MOTU 828 MK3. Have you found that to be true?

3.  Is there a workaround the round trip latency problem or is that pretty much the way it is?

Hey, thanks in advance. And especially thanks to those I have read here for hours and hours and hours.....

5 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Noob is Choosing An Audio Interface 2010/07/14 20:45:51 (permalink)
    Skit,

welcome to the forums.  We don't bite.

The well documented Dice II issues are not totally over, but for the most part done with.  TC Konnect came up with Dice II and, like all new things, had some growing pains.  Last year they had it working good, and the last TC update works great.  Now this is for the drivers for TC stuff, but there is some kind of hookup w/ everyone else's DICE II equiped interfaces.

I have a dual core 2.2 system at home w/ the TCK 48.  No problems running it on my older system, and I get good latency - less than 10 ms roundtrip tho I can go lower for recording (just not mixing big projects).  Not great, but it works for me. 

Jim is a great resource for us here at the forums but latency is something personal.  He's just telling you the facts.  If low latency is your prime factor, then I'd go w/ his recommendation.  But you might find the saffire feels fine for you.

Whatever you do, be sure and use a retailer you can return the unit to.  Once you figure out your in/out needs and price range, most of the units are about the same sound quality wise - or not enough difference to be worth the hassle.  Get the likeliest looking unit and if it doesn't work w/ your system (most will out of the box, but there is always the exception) or there is a flaw in the workflow (such as too much latency even after tweaking) then just send it back for box # 2.  Ive messed w/ trying to get hardware to work, and it ain't fun.  I'd rather be making music than becoming tech support - even for myself.  That is why people pay big money to Jim etc.

Make it easy on yourself.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    skitracks
    Re:Noob is Choosing An Audio Interface 2010/07/15 03:40:56 (permalink)

I have a dual core 2.2 system at home w/ the TCK 48. No problems running it on my older system, and I get good latency - less than 10 ms roundtrip

How do you like the TCK 48? Pros? Cons?

Are you using Sonar PE?

Is it likely that the round trip latency would improve (all other things being equal) if I built a system around the Intel Core2Quad Q9550?

Anyone ever seen a post by Roseberry on the TCK 48?  I'm curious if he reserves comment  for TC Konnekt?
    Wolfos9
    Re:Noob is Choosing An Audio Interface 2010/07/15 08:42:53 (permalink)
    I have a question, I didn't realize Sonar had a list of Interfaces that work for it.

I just bought a Presonus Audiobox USB and i can't figure it out. I play guitar through it and Sonar doesnt pick it up, and guitar rig4 and amplitube3 standalone players done either!?

I had an E-mu 0202 and never had a problem just the qulatily was worse than the Presonus.

What should I do guys?
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Noob is Choosing An Audio Interface 2010/07/15 10:38:39 (permalink)
    Wulfos,

start a new thread?  But really, we need more info to help.

Skit,

The TCK is a great piece of hardware.  The sound is good, a lot clearer than my old FirePod.  Everything I've dragged down to the pro studio that I've done on it translates really well.

The preamps are better, too, tho there are only 4 of them.  And lots of digital expandability above the 12 in and 10 out analog.  The hardware effects are very good.  The remote is great - more companies should make something like it.  I got a great deal on it.  The only other thing I considered was the Steinberg/yama interface, but they dropped the price after I bought the TCK.

I got it last year and the drivers were still a little flakey.  They worked, but the FirePod actually got lower latency.  After I installed the latest drivers that got better.  I have no problems with latency, tho it is hardly the best.

The only other complaints are the mixer software and the hardware fx.  The first is typically teutonic - through, logical but unnatural.  There are two different pages to set up routing - why couldn't they just use the tried and true mixer analogy?  The fx are great, but the vsti versions are too intensive for my machine.  I use them on specific tracks and mixing/mastering where I route them in and out rather than insert them on a track.

I highly recommend it since it works for me.  Esp. if you can find one for $700 as I did (scratch and dent) or $800.  They are back up to $1000.  The Impact Twin is their latest model, 4X4 I think w/ ADAT.  Not as many hardware fx, I think, but it is like $400.  Can't complain about the sound at that price.  But as always, be prepared to send it back if it doesn't for on your system.  That can be a pain in the neck to sort out.

good luck,

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    skitracks
    Re:Noob is Choosing An Audio Interface 2010/07/16 11:56:48 (permalink)
    I have a question, I didn't realize Sonar had a list of Interfaces that work for it.

I just bought a Presonus Audiobox USB and i can't figure it out. I play guitar through it and Sonar doesnt pick it up, and guitar rig4 and amplitube3 standalone players done either!?

I had an E-mu 0202 and never had a problem just the qulatily was worse than the Presonus.

What should I do guys?

Wolfo9

Well, I'm not the guy to tell you what to do, but FWIW here is the link to Cakewalk's Audio Hardware Guide.  Obviously, there are no recommendations or endorsements by Cakewalk, but what raised my eyebrow was hardware they did NOT list.

I have no idea whether that indicates anything at all.

I wonder if some of the gurus around here have any opinion about the whys and whatfors on which hardware is listed and which ones are not.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1