Helpful ReplyNot a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
msorrels
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1025
2016/02/07 22:46:35 (permalink)

Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better

I don't want to talk about how the last year of Sonar updates have helped MIDI/Soft Synths, that's the past, I'm just looking to the future.  I realize that chasing ProTools and ProTool users seems more important in general, but that audio focused side of Sonar is really only half the picture.  We need improvements to the MIDI tools in Sonar - bug fixes and new features.  I'd like to see Cakewalk take up the simple mantle, Make MIDI Better.  That's it.  Figure out what that means and do it.

-Matt

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/07 22:57:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rtucker55 2016/02/08 13:07:42
+1

I agree with that.

Best
John
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/07 23:38:33 (permalink)
Good call Matt - though I guess still more easily achieved if you come up with some suggestions of what you might actually like to see. 

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/07 23:47:16 (permalink)
I've been pushing for a Drum Machine mode in the PRV, where you can edit previous passes while adding new passes. But I think it would be more productive to start a thread in the Feature Requests, and provide specific suggestions (and also make sure that what's suggested doesn't already exist, e.g., the different capabilities of in-line PRV vs. standard PRV).

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
kb420
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1839
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/08 00:04:51 (permalink)
msorrels
I don't want to talk about how the last year of Sonar updates have helped MIDI/Soft Synths, that's the past, I'm just looking to the future.  I realize that chasing ProTools and ProTool users seems more important in general, but that audio focused side of Sonar is really only half the picture.  We need improvements to the MIDI tools in Sonar - bug fixes and new features.  I'd like to see Cakewalk take up the simple mantle, Make MIDI Better.  That's it.  Figure out what that means and do it.

I couldn't agree more.  I was beginning to think I was the only one who visits this forum and would REALLY like to see the midi implementation in Sonar improved.  

"Now, excuse me while I jump into my Jaguar; I need to board my private jet for the usual weekend trip to my mansion on the Big Island. I think Trixie, Crystal, and Heather are already there...must not keep them waiting in the hot tub!"

-Craig Anderton-
kb420
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/08 00:07:40 (permalink)
Anderton
I've been pushing for a Drum Machine mode in the PRV, where you can edit previous passes while adding new passes. But I think it would be more productive to start a thread in the Feature Requests, and provide specific suggestions (and also make sure that what's suggested doesn't already exist, e.g., the different capabilities of in-line PRV vs. standard PRV).

I actually started a feature request thread about being able to toggle "Take Lanes" off.  That goes along with what you were saying about editing "previous passes while adding new passes".    Honestly,  I've never seen a midi sequencer that handles midi loop recording the way Sonar does.  IMHO,  it's ridiculously bad.

"Now, excuse me while I jump into my Jaguar; I need to board my private jet for the usual weekend trip to my mansion on the Big Island. I think Trixie, Crystal, and Heather are already there...must not keep them waiting in the hot tub!"

-Craig Anderton-
rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/08 00:08:58 (permalink)
I would also like to see some work on midi. 
icontakt
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4266
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/08 02:01:06 (permalink)
I'm actually mostly happy with SONAR's MIDI side, except for Take lanes in MIDI tracks and the PRV Controller pane.

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
KPerry
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3120
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/08 02:18:47 (permalink)
Bring back the user-configurable PRV tool from 8.x and I would be in MIDI heaven.
auricle
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 492
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/08 03:18:39 (permalink)
Also, as a hardware user, I'd like to be able to use an ACT assigned controller to control MIDI CC on a MIDI track. These can be defined in the instrument definition. 
RD9
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 154
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/08 04:15:55 (permalink)
Sonar does a pretty good job with MIDI however there is definitely room for improvement.  A number of suggestions are well documented elsewhere in the Forum so I assume this post is more about direction setting for Sonar development  in 2016.  I am about to move back to Cubase after spending 10 years with CW.  I have fond memories of Cubase's MIDI editing and saw a video on Cubase 8.5 that shows some interesting features.  Maybe that would be a good place for the CW programmers to look for ideas.

Cheers.
jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/08 06:48:46 (permalink)
Indeed. The Select tool has only just been fixed in Manchester! All this time nobody noticed?

I am suffering under a MIDI-heavy project right now. The smart-tool idea of putting the mouse over different parts of a note to access different functions is fine with few notes, but as things progress you zoom out to get the overview, then manoevering over the right bit of note gets difficult. Result? I'm constantly zooming in and out.

I'd rather have a key+mouse model to decide if I want to stretch, shrink (NB: one for stretch, one for shrink!) move, etc. and put the default key layout under the left hand (with options for the right side) - NOT function keys like now.

Also, the pre-empting auto-clip algorithm reduces the utility of clips to only simple scenarios. I posted a detailed feature request already.

Accidental double-cloned notes remaining unseen is also a problem.
kb420
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/08 11:32:35 (permalink)
Sonar isn't the only software that I use. When it comes to midi, I think it's absolutely the worst, especially when it comes to drum programming. It's soo bad that I was surprised that no one had ever brought it up before this thread. I really believed, and I still believe, that the majority of Sonar users don't really compose midi in Sonar.

Audio editing is flawless in Sonar, but the midi implementation is ridiculously bad.

-Craig Anderton-
msorrels
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1025
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/08 12:39:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rtucker55 2016/02/08 13:07:06
I didn't really want to get into specifics on this for lots of reasons.  Serial/episodic software is a little new, strange and different for lots of companies/developers/customers.  For it to work well a short/medium-term overall theme and direction can be useful.  Looking at the future features for Sonar in spring 2016 I'll admit I'm a bit concerned that the MIDI side of house is being neglected.  I like mastering and audio editing tools as much as the next guy, but I'd rather see improvements in more MIDI/Soft Synth areas.

-Matt

BobF
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/08 12:43:12 (permalink)
For ME, a 64 bit P5 Version 3 that can plug into Sonar would do nicely 

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

cryophonik
Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4724
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/08 12:46:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rtucker55 2016/02/08 13:08:06
tenfoot
Good call Matt - though I guess still more easily achieved if you come up with some suggestions of what you might actually like to see. 

There's an entire subforum that is pouring over with excellent suggestions for improving MIDI in Sonar.  Unfortunately, the number of those suggestions that are marked as "implemented" is hovering somewhere around none.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

BbAltered
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 137
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/08 12:57:30 (permalink)
Hello.  I use MIDI a lot in my productions, and I am happy to see that others continue to make use of MIDI: I was beginning to think I was the last person on earth still using MIDI.

Here is my suggestion: in the PRV, I wish it was easier to change the left-sided diatonic keyboard into the list of drum names.  I have found this very difficult to do: if memory serves, you have to first tell Sonar the track is a drum track and first select a drum instrument definition.  This seems unnecessary, and i wish I could just tell Sonar show me a GM drum name list now in the PRV.  I use JamStix and Addictive Drums, which means I have to create my own instrument definitions for these programs before I can get my PRV to show me a list of drum names.  For what I do, the GM drum name list would be just fine, but I have had trouble getting such a list displayed.

There may be easier ways for Sonar to do what I what it to do, and I just don't know what they are.  In which case, I apologize for my ignorance.
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/08 13:07:25 (permalink)
msorrels
Make MIDI Better.  That's it.  Figure out what that means and do it.

That's more than vague, as are some comments that followed.  In my mind, Cakewalk has a historic responsibility to be at the top of the midi world.  It still has access to some heavy hitting contributors, so if it isn't currently at the top, it should be.  But I'm in no position to judge where it stands.

It would be very interesting, and more useful, to hear what changes you'd like to see implemented.  I don't use Sonar for much recording.  To me, Sonar is just a huge complex synth to create music with (which may include recorded elements), so I'm interested in having as much midi functionality as possible.  But for the moment, my meager needs are met and I'm still learning to use what there is.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
Klaus
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 320
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/08 13:25:41 (permalink)
BbAltered
Hello.  I use MIDI a lot in my productions, and I am happy to see that others continue to make use of MIDI: I was beginning to think I was the last person on earth still using MIDI.

Here is my suggestion: in the PRV, I wish it was easier to change the left-sided diatonic keyboard into the list of drum names.  I have found this very difficult to do: if memory serves, you have to first tell Sonar the track is a drum track and first select a drum instrument definition.  This seems unnecessary, and i wish I could just tell Sonar show me a GM drum name list now in the PRV.  I use JamStix and Addictive Drums, which means I have to create my own instrument definitions for these programs before I can get my PRV to show me a list of drum names.  For what I do, the GM drum name list would be just fine, but I have had trouble getting such a list displayed.

There may be easier ways for Sonar to do what I what it to do, and I just don't know what they are.  In which case, I apologize for my ignorance.

Hi,
this is already possible:
Right click on the diatonic keyboard and in the following menu check:
"Use these note names instead".
There are several drumkits available, including GM Drums.

SONAR Platinum 
RME HDSPe AIO - Windows 10 64bit - Intel i7 2600K - 16 GB RAM

williamcopper
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/08 17:24:51 (permalink)
+1    Midi and User Interface is all I care about.    Except, oddly, I seem to use SoundForge for everything to do with audio on a per-track basis, and Samplitude for putting together multiple audio tracks into a mix.    I'm sure Sonar can do much of that but somehow it seems so .. "pro-channel", so "dials", about everything, i.e., so hobbyist.  

Maybe other than getting everything to do with midi entry and editing fast, what I'd really love is a Sonar on a diet, get rid of all the crap that needs to be turned off in order to get work done, while keeping the mini-bar available for those who want to indulge optionally.   Do I really want an "amp-simulator" in every project (part of prochannel)?  No, it's absurd.     Do I want to dial in how much grunge to add to every project?  No.  Make it optional, exceptional.   Do I want a "tube", whatever that is, on every track?  Hell no.   Do I want a line in the PRV for every controller on every midi channel on every track?   NO NO NO.    I can appreciate that some people do want some of these things, but Let .  Them . Be . Optional !!

edit -- And then MENUS ... they are outrageously EVERYWHERE.    Slim down, menus in ONE place only.   This goes back to User Interface ...

Jim Kalinowski
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 296
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/08 17:49:48 (permalink)
williamcopper
 Do I really want an "amp-simulator" in every project (part of prochannel)? [....] .  Them . Be . Optional !!

SONAR's amp simulator is not integrated with ProChannel, so I'm not quite following what you mean here.  I do agree that more UI enhancements would be good (can't wait for the theme editor).  But most of what you want to be optional is already optional.  Are you using track templates?  You could create a template that starts out with just about nothing.

i7 860, 8GB RAM, Win10 x64, UA-25EX, SONAR Platinum 
https://www.soundcloud.com/jim-kalinowski
http://www.soundclick.com/jimkalinowski
DrLumen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/08 18:07:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2016/02/08 22:32:25
kb420
Sonar isn't the only software that I use. When it comes to midi, I think it's absolutely the worst, especially when it comes to drum programming. It's soo bad that I was surprised that no one had ever brought it up before this thread. I really believed, and I still believe, that the majority of Sonar users don't really compose midi in Sonar.

Audio editing is flawless in Sonar, but the midi implementation is ridiculously bad.

I take it you have never tried to use the midi shtuff in Acid. I think it has (was) the worst midi implementation ever. Practically stone knives and bear skins...

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
icontakt
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4266
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/08 18:52:22 (permalink)
kb420
Sonar isn't the only software that I use. When it comes to midi, I think it's absolutely the worst

Which other DAWs do you use? I don't think it's possible to specify a timing/velocity randomize percentage when humanizing MIDI notes or create a hybrid drum kit (from two or more synths) in the drum map in Studio One. Also, it doesn't have inline PRV, staff view (you have to buy nortion software separately, I think), event list, etc. etc.

You need to mention the names the other DAWs you use and also cite at least top 3 weaknesses in SONAR's MIDI.

kb420
Audio editing is flawless in Sonar

I don't think so. At least Remove Silence doesn't work properly, and clip automation is horrible when applied to many clips in Take lanes (especially when there are tens of lanes - it takes several seconds or more just to collapse the lanes).

Also, audio recording has flaws. For example, arm one of existing lanes and loop-record in Overwrite recording mode. Only the last pass should remain when you stop recording, but previous passes also remain, hidden behind the last pass.

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
tenfoot
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/08 20:16:39 (permalink)
kb420
and I still believe, that the majority of Sonar users don't really compose midi in Sonar.

I start every project and do most of my editing in midi and use Sonar all day every day -  I am reasonably certain I am not alone:) 

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
kb420
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/08 20:30:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Kylotan 2016/02/09 04:16:24
icontakt
kb420
Sonar isn't the only software that I use. When it comes to midi, I think it's absolutely the worst

Which other DAWs do you use? I don't think it's possible to specify a timing/velocity randomize percentage when humanizing MIDI notes or create a hybrid drum kit (from two or more synths) in the drum map in Studio One. Also, it doesn't have inline PRV, staff view (you have to buy nortion software separately, I think), event list, etc. etc.

You need to mention the names the other DAWs you use and also cite at least top 3 weaknesses in SONAR's MIDI.

kb420
Audio editing is flawless in Sonar

I don't think so. At least Remove Silence doesn't work properly, and clip automation is horrible when applied to many clips in Take lanes (especially when there are tens of lanes - it takes several seconds or more just to collapse the lanes).

Also, audio recording has flaws. For example, arm one of existing lanes and loop-record in Overwrite recording mode. Only the last pass should remain when you stop recording, but previous passes also remain, hidden behind the last pass.

For midi composition,  I primarily use Ableton Live, Maschine Studio,  and I'm beginning to learn Studio One 3 Professional. I didn't use the word DAW in my post.  I used the word "software" because I don't consider Maschine a DAW,  but I find it much easier to compose midi data,  especially drums in Maschine over Sonar.    

Why do I have to mention 3 weaknesses?  Who said that?  Was that suppose to be a prerequisite for posting on this thread?  Did I miss something?  Oh well, These are just my personal grievances but here goes:

1.  The Piano Roll View.  It may just be a personal choice,  but I'll take Live, Studio One,  and Maschine's Piano Roll View over Sonar's any day of the week.  All 3 of them seem to be so much more responsive and easier to make edits on.  There's never any hidden muted notes.  No guessing about which parameter you may or may not be editing when you attempt to select a note.  Nudging notes,  and manipulating the grid on all three are incredibly easy when you compare it to Sonar.

2.  Non Linear Midi Composition.  Sonar does have a groove matrix,  so this may not be as much of an issue,  but I've never dug in to it much.  I doubt it's as flexible as Live's Session View.  If you don't know about Live's Session View,  I really don't think I could do it justice here in a short description.  If you are interested,  you would be better served by going to Ableton's website and watching some of their videos.  I will say this,  when it comes to non linear midi composition,  Ableton Live has,  in my opinion,  the best approach.  Maschine's software is also somewhat non linear in it's "Scene" approach.  For me,  being a MPC user for so long,  I can appreciate a workflow of creating patterns and then linking them together to build in to a song,  at least for drums.  Maschine is really hard to beat when it comes to drum programming.  There are other options such as Push from Ableton,  which I also own,  and then there's also the new MPC line.  All of which are definitely more suited for drum programming than Sonar and also all of them provide non linear midi composition.  If you take a look at Studio One,  which is primarily a linear sequencer,  you still have a super flexible way of recording midi when you consider the Arranger Track and the Scratch Pad.  With the Arranger Track,  you can actually treat whole sections of a song like patterns in a hardware sequencer and string them together any way you want to on a Scratch Pad.  The Arranger Track and the Scratch Pad are new to Studio One 3,  and they are what really gained my attention.

3.  Take Lanes.  I absolutely hate this for midi loop recording,  and nothing else I've ever used has anything like them.  You can't truly disable it. No matter what you do,  you always can tell that they are there in your arrangement window unless you comp them all.  It just seems like it's extra work for no reason.  I can understand the usefulness of Take Lanes when recording audio from a musician,  but I just wish you could completely disable it when working with midi,  especially midi loop recording.  

You said I should mention 3,  so there you have it.  I could actually go on and talk about workflow and the lack of dedicated midi controllers for midi composition,  but I'm not writing a thesis here.  You also mentioned "timing/velocity randomize percentage when humanizing MIDI notes or create a hybrid drum kit (from two or more synths) in the drum map".  You can't do that with Studio One.  Maschine can't do any timing/velocity randomize percentage when humanizing Midi notes,  but you can definitely create hybrid drum kits from two or more synths in the drum map.  Ableton Live can do both of those things with the Groove Pool and Drum Racks.

I'll admit I was completely wrong about audio editing in Sonar being flawless,  but I just find it sort of ironic that the two issues that you described are basically related to "Take Lanes".  It seems to me that you could eliminate those issues if "Take Lanes" could be toggled off or completely disabled,  and I'm definitely a fan of that.

Edit.  I never did touch on your comment about a Staff View,  but I don't have a need for a Staff View at all.

post edited by kb420 - 2016/02/08 20:37:56

-Craig Anderton-
kb420
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/08 20:39:05 (permalink)
DrLumen
kb420

I take it you have never tried to use the midi shtuff in Acid. I think it has (was) the worst midi implementation ever. Practically stone knives and bear skins...

You're probably right.  I've never used Acid at all.

-Craig Anderton-
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/08 22:50:51 (permalink)
williamcopper 
Maybe other than getting everything to do with midi entry and editing fast, what I'd really love is a Sonar on a diet, get rid of all the crap that needs to be turned off in order to get work done, while keeping the mini-bar available for those who want to indulge optionally.   Do I really want an "amp-simulator" in every project (part of prochannel)?  No, it's absurd.     Do I want to dial in how much grunge to add to every project?  No.  Make it optional, exceptional.   Do I want a "tube", whatever that is, on every track?  Hell no.   Do I want a line in the PRV for every controller on every midi channel on every track?   NO NO NO.    I can appreciate that some people do want some of these things, but Let .  Them . Be . Optional !!

They already are. None of the things you mention is loaded by default. If you don't want ""an amp-simulator" in every project", then all you need to do is carefully avoid clicking on the box that loads an amp-simulator.

williamcopper
edit -- And then MENUS ... they are outrageously EVERYWHERE.    Slim down, menus in ONE place only.   This goes back to User Interface ...

Well, if you want a powerful application with lots of functions then it's going to have menus. Pretty much all software on all platforms does. And if you think Sonar's interface is bad in any way you've not tried using Logic's ugly, insanely powerful but very poorly documented "MIDI environment."

If, however, you want to use software that just does a few things without putting the user through the difficult process of not loading plugins they don't want to load, maybe Sonar simply isn't the thing for you. Or Live, Cubase, Logic or any other of the major DAWs.

Have you tried Garageband? That hasn't got too many menus.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
skitch_84
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 480
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/09 01:47:06 (permalink)
tenfoot
kb420
and I still believe, that the majority of Sonar users don't really compose midi in Sonar.

I start every project and do most of my editing in midi and use Sonar all day every day -  I am reasonably certain I am not alone:) 

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Same here. I'm a video game music composer and 99% of my work is done using only MIDI (sample libraries, etc.). I use Sonar Platinum from beginning to end. :)

Chris Porter
www.cportermusic.com
Listen to my original work on Soundcloud and YouTube
Get my original soundtracks on Bandcamp 
Sonar Platinum "2017.04", Windows 10 64-bit, ASUS Z170-A, i7 6700K (4.0GHz), 32GB DDR4 RAM, 250GB SSD 850 EVO (OS/Sonar/Plugins), 1TB SSD 850 EVO (Sample Libraries), 3TB WD Black HDD (projects/audio), Noctua NH-D14 Cooling Unit, PreSonus AudioBox USB Interface, M-AUDIO Oxygen49
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/09 03:16:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2016/02/09 09:44:58
I actually hate composing midi in Maschine, it's true it's great for creating loops and stuff but chaining patterns together, editing fills and breaks and trying to keep everything lined up with the host DAW is a nightmare.
Ableton is nice, switching seemlessly between session view and arrange view is brilliant. 

One thing I miss in Sonar that Logic does is nondestructive quantization. In Logic, you can select a recorded (i.e. "human timing") clip and apply for instance 16th swing quantization at 70 percent strength. You can set quantization strength for each clip and you can change it after the fact. In Sonar if I quantize at 70 percent strength and later realize the part needed to remain a bit more human, it's not so easy to fiddle with that number anymore. 
tenfoot
Re: Not a feature request, a direction: Make MIDI Better 2016/02/09 03:33:55 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
One thing I miss in Sonar that Logic does is nondestructive quantization. In Logic, you can select a recorded (i.e. "human timing") clip and apply for instance 16th swing quantization at 70 percent strength. You can set quantization strength for each clip and you can change it after the fact. In Sonar if I quantize at 70 percent strength and later realize the part needed to remain a bit more human, it's not so easy to fiddle with that number anymore. 

+1 for that Sanderxpander.

There is a way to do it in Sonar though. Rather than using the quantize function from the process menu, you can insert the Cakewalk quantize midi plugin into the tracks fx bin. That way you can go back and make any changes you like at any time.

Bruce.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1