Not amused with line 6

Author
dangars
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 95
2014/05/23 16:43:03 (permalink)

Not amused with line 6

So basically I've bought a new audio interface I now have a Focusrite scarlett which has replaced my ux2 which died a sad death, went to load pod farm 2 and its now saying I can't use it as my hardware isn't registered to the software.

To use pod farm they are now requesting that I pay nearly £100.

Any advice on how to get around this as this is holding me up?

P.S sorry to sound a bit ranty!

Asus all in one, 8gb memory,1tb hdd,AMD A6 Elite, Sonar platinum,Focusrite scarlett 2i2 . Axes: Epiphones, Les Paul standard, 56 gold top, LP studio deluxe, fender telecaster paisley reissue, Ibanez ax, an old strat,epiphone el-00 pro, epiphone union jack outfit sheraton. Bass:My wifes sg bass Amps: Laney TF200, Marshall valvestate vs100, orange tiny terror Pedals: a small collection. Alesis Q25

21 Replies Related Threads

michaelhanson
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3529
    Re: Not amused with line 6 2014/05/23 17:50:24 (permalink)
    Dangars,

Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. Funny, I to bought a Scarlett 8i6... Liked it so much that I bought one of the smaller Scarlett's as well for a more portable laptop unit. I had a UX1 and a free copy of POD Farm that came with the unit. Apparently, because it is free, Line 6 feels you did not pay for a license to POD Farm. Maybe you will have better luck than I did, I didn't fight it to hard. It peeved me off enough that I just decided to switch brands and I went the Amplitube 3 direction instead. For me, A3 turned out to be a better sounding amp sim anyway and I have not looked back. The only way I would return to Line 6 products at this point, would be if I ever decided to get a POD HD500.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
    https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
    iTunes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
    BMI
    dangars
    Re: Not amused with line 6 2014/05/23 18:35:18 (permalink)
    That what I thought was happening,

found a work around though basically plugged my old ux2 in (although the jacks are dead) set up pod farm as a plug in and now i have access to pod farm. I'm not to keen on a redundant piece of equipment on my work area.

I have amplitude 3 but its the one I got with x1 essential when i first started out, have guitar 5 but its the free version also have th1 thriode as well as th2 sonar. I'm really struggling to find that mid 90's oasis styled sound that my band have. I can get the tone out of my amp but need to save up for a decent mic to record using that.

Asus all in one, 8gb memory,1tb hdd,AMD A6 Elite, Sonar platinum,Focusrite scarlett 2i2 . Axes: Epiphones, Les Paul standard, 56 gold top, LP studio deluxe, fender telecaster paisley reissue, Ibanez ax, an old strat,epiphone el-00 pro, epiphone union jack outfit sheraton. Bass:My wifes sg bass Amps: Laney TF200, Marshall valvestate vs100, orange tiny terror Pedals: a small collection. Alesis Q25
    yorolpal
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re: Not amused with line 6 2014/05/23 18:36:00 (permalink)
    If you can run them simultaneously I've got a line6 dongle/interface going unused (for years). If that would solve your problem, PM me and we'll discuss.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: Not amused with line 6 2014/05/23 20:27:46 (permalink)
    yorolpal
    ...I've got a line6 dongle/interface going unused (for years). If that would solve your problem...

I suspect that this might not work, as the software licensing seems to be tied to specific hardware.  I have 2 line6 devices and the PodFarm stuff only works with my GX1, not my UX2, which pre-dates PodFarm.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re: Not amused with line 6 2014/05/23 21:28:22 (permalink)
    Welp...I wouldn't have a clue. Just tryin to help a feller out.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re: Not amused with line 6 2014/05/23 21:53:23 (permalink)
    I have a dongle, Pod XT, as well. It had it's use but I haven't used it in years.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    JohnKenn
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1659
    Re: Not amused with line 6 2014/05/24 01:49:23 (permalink)
    My approach to this is different, as said elsewhere... Accept reprimand from those on a higher moral ground, but it won't change my heathen ways.

Have Pod Farm Platinum, paid for, legal and have had authorizations dumped without even major changes in hardware configuration. Win 7 laptop unregistered the program 3 times for whatever flaw. Pain in the forkin' chalumbas.

Quick and easy fix. Fired up Frostwire torrent client and downloaded a solid warez crack for Pod Farm 2 Platinum. Line 6 corporate and their paranoid activation ransom can crash to hell and back for all I care. I have no worry about reauthorizing the program I paid for. My opinion as well that Pod Farm is cool. Some incredible sounds as you spin the carousel, mix and match, build presets. Neglected and under the radar for how good it is.

There is no excuse in my microcosm for using pirated software. Too dumb and ignorant to judge others, but my computer is legitimate, conscience clean, just backed up by illegal cracks if and when needed.

Not twisting your arm to look into the dark side to get free from the issues you should not be having to deal with, but... Works for me and I can sleep with myself okay. Just sayin'  If more developers could be like Cake, digital universe would be so much less convoluted and perverted.

Hope you get the thing working, because you deserve to get it working, immediate and no charge.

John

dangars
    Re: Not amused with line 6 2014/05/24 04:18:13 (permalink)
    I've searched the web and it seems to be a common issue for people who have bought their hardware and then upgraded.

You would think they would let you transfer the license over to your new hardware especially when we have already forked out for their gear before.

Thanks for all the help though guys I always forget what a friendly forum this is.

auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    Re: Not amused with line 6 2014/05/24 07:28:19 (permalink)
    I was looking at line 6 amplifi and seeing if this could be tied to model packs, amp farm etc. Found out it is completely unrelated and would not be able to take advantage of all the money spent so far with line 6. So I passed.

Someday when my XT dies, I will be scrambling too.

Lately I use guitar rig 5 the most.

If you can afford Komplete.....do it!

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re: Not amused with line 6 2014/05/24 15:29:41 (permalink)
    dangars
    That what I thought was happening,

found a work around though basically plugged my old ux2 in (although the jacks are dead) set up pod farm as a plug in and now i have access to pod farm. I'm not to keen on a redundant piece of equipment on my work area.

I have amplitude 3 but its the one I got with x1 essential when i first started out, have guitar 5 but its the free version also have th1 thriode as well as th2 sonar. I'm really struggling to find that mid 90's oasis styled sound that my band have. I can get the tone out of my amp but need to save up for a decent mic to record using that.

there are some decent freeamp sims out there, notably LePou and AcmeBarGig...however prob the amp which is closest in sound to the one you want that i've heard is the White model in guitar Rig. 
    at least if you go with Amplitude you can use the custom shop to audition different amps. Personally, i have GR4 and Amplitude metal and i use LePou far more than Amplitude...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Not amused with line 6 2014/05/24 18:21:26 (permalink)
    My POD Farm 2 Platinum is on my iLok.  I upgraded my PC about 2 years ago and except for the Line 6 "License Manager" that I had to install and run, I haven't had any problems.  POD Farm is a VST2 plug-in, in Sonar.  I have a POD X3 but just use the POD Farm as a Sonar plug-in.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    SvenArne
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2719
    Re: Not amused with line 6 2014/05/25 02:55:50 (permalink)
    I've had Line 6 GearBox/PodFarm (all the expansion packs) for years and years and I keep my UX2 connected as a dongle for the plugs. Truth to be told, the only Line 6 plug I ever load these days is the PodFarm Tuner module, which I like. Still keep the UX2 connected in case I should open some old project with those plugs.

Seems to me Line 6 have dropped out of the studio/plugin race and are concentrating on live performance with their wireless systems and floorboard FX. I still enjoy my Variax 300 in my studio though!

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Not amused with line 6 2014/05/25 06:34:59 (permalink)
    I just finished a CD project for a local singer - traditional country music.  I hadn't used the POD farm much but I did on this project.

I used the POD Farm on the lead guitar (a Strat).  I ran the Strat through the POD X3 with the Brad Paisley Tone direct.  The guitar player didn't really like that as he uses an old 60's Pro Reverb.  I used the Tweed amp model with two 12" speakers and got the tone nearly identical to his live tone.  I used the Echoplex model for delay. 

I also used the POD Farm Bass amp modeling for the Bass and even the POD Farm spring reverb for my Pedal Steel Guitar (it was recorded direct and dry).

The singer is getting good reviews of his CD project.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    dangars
    Re: Not amused with line 6 2014/05/25 15:24:11 (permalink)
    They have some awesome tones and it has been my go to plugin for guitar and bass.

I was using the AC30 model for my tone, I can get the tone from my laney with a bit of fiddling around.

I quite like the look of GR5 but its quite pricey. Which at the moment is out of my reach until next pay day.

I find TH2 hard to get the tone I want its still an amazing plugin though especially for metal.

I like amplitude 3 have been using it on the new tune we are working on, its good that they let you trial the amp models before buying them. I've been abusing the Orange models a lot.

ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re: Not amused with line 6 2014/05/25 20:56:21 (permalink)
    I was kind of in the same position a few years ago. When I first got the UX2, I also upgraded to "the gold bundle" I sold the UX2 years ago but not the expansion. I forgot about it for a few years. A few years ago I logged onto my Line 6 account and seen the gold bundle in my account and wrote their support to see if I could get an ilock version. The gold bundle was discontinued so they gave me a native ilock version of the old Pod farm 32bit and the upgrade to pad farm platinum. I had to buy the basic pod farm 2 to have the platinum 64 bit plugs though. 
     I can't complain about the treatment I got from line 6 support, you may want to check your account to see if there is an upgrade path for you.
    In many mix situations, I find the line 6 plugs more useful at times because there are separate smaller modules like "Line 6 dynamics"  "Line 6 reverb"....  Nice not having to launch the whole rig just for an effect. The de-eser is one my favorites... 
    If I'm looking for a vintage creamy or jangly tone like Orange or Fender, I go for Amplatube or S-Gear. If I'm looking for metal tones, I seem to get what I'm looking for faster with Pod farm. GR5...I'm still pretty indifferent to.

Me

JohnKenn
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1659
    Re: Not amused with line 6 2014/05/26 00:27:35 (permalink)
    Bump for Pod Farm, especially the Platinum suite.

I downloaded a warez crack activator before paying for the program, so have no issues with authorization. Me and Line 6 are on level playing field in this regard.

Missing element for me is the stereo (or lack of...) rendering. Plugs are mono unfortunately. As good as they are, they are still mono. Can still chain some stereo vst after the fact to get right left spread ambiance.

They have a lite version for free, worth the download. The reverbs are nice. Check out  their free "Cavernous" reverb.

John

jbow
    Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7601
    Re: Not amused with line 6 2014/12/28 17:19:25 (permalink)
    I have a POD, updated to a POD II. They dropped all support for it. I didn't appreciate it especially since I bought a UX-2, subscribed to their Toneport Onoine that didn't make it, bought a Flextone and a Flextone III Plus. You'd think there would be some sort of customer appreciation.
    I actually came on here to post a question about the Amplifi amp, to see if anyone has one, how is it, can I configure it (or two of them) to use as an A/V system. It is an interesting concept, if it works and if they don't abandon it down the road. I like my Mark V but it isn't always the answer. Sometimes something like the Flextone (or possibly an Amplifi) looks like a GREAT solution for sitting in the "big chair" and playing along with the music channels on TV, or Palladia or something... if it works well and if they don't leave me holding the bag.
    I need to check to see if my POD Farm and POD Farm II work with my UX-2 anymore. I'll delete them if they don't.

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but not much came up..

SO... does anyone have an Amplifi? Do you like it?

J

Sonar Platinum
    Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
    HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
    lawajava
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2040
    Re: Not amused with line 6 2014/12/28 22:08:10 (permalink)
    I thought PodFarm was the most realistic and got me to the sounds I needed in the most painless way. So it has a great place in my heart.

But once I got into Amplitube there was no turning back. The realistic sounds, the intuitive interface, and the "current ness" of the software are strong. It's my go to, without looking back.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
    lawajava
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2040
    Re: Not amused with line 6 2014/12/28 22:13:02 (permalink)
    One note of high praise for Line 6. Even though I have a Focusrite Scarlett (which is great), I use a Line 6 KB-37 for my audio input when recording electric guitar. I have the best "no" latency experience with that device. Better than the Scarlett for sure.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
    Mesh
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re: Not amused with line 6 2014/12/29 09:40:11 (permalink)
    I also have a Pod Farm 2 platinum/Toneport DI box which I upgraded from the old GearBox collection.......now, all collecting dust after getting my Focusrite insterface. I also was disappointed with Line 6 and their dongle tactics.....I was really happy with the sounds and gui of PodFarm......easy to dial in a good sound. I enjoyed using the Tone Direct Monitoring (like Lawajava said) which had no latency and recorded all my guitar tones directly using this.

Anyway, after getting Amplitube 3, I'm very happy with the tones/amp collections and hassle free "no dongle" appraoch.......but, I still prefere the PodFarm gui to A3.  

I'll probably might use the Toneport DI box on a second PC at somepoint (if there's proper driver support available).

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Not amused with line 6 2015/01/06 05:50:55 (permalink)
    I still use my POD XT Live pedal board but can freely use PodFarm 2.5 without having to plugin the board

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1