Author
kson
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 540

18 Replies Related Threads

craigb
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: Not surprised... 2014/08/13 20:09:27 (permalink)
    What???  Guitar Center has inexperienced and inattentive salespeople???  Really???

Heh.

Of course, adding Unions are just a scam that will hurt everyone since nothing will change except that the prices of gear will go up to pay the Union people who just sit on their collective asses and do nothing.

The answer is quite simple:  If you don't like working there, then go somewhere else!  Only once GC can't get enough people to employ will conditions improve there.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    kson
    Re: Not surprised... 2014/08/13 21:04:45 (permalink)
    I think these statements were the most telling:

"Here's the bottom line - A strong Guitar Center is good for the entire music business, especially at the moment. Happier and better trained employees would lead to more satisfied customers and stronger sales, which once again, is good for everyone.

The company is now being run by Ares Management, who recently took over from Bain Capital, two investment firms that have demonstrated their interest more in bottom line profits at any cost rather than happy employees and customers."

Good and knowledgeable sales staff aren't going to put up with BS and low pay.  Personally, I order most of my gear from Sweetwater and Audiodeluxe.  My rep at Sweetwater has a good knowledge base and gets me fair pricing.  I have nothing against GC, but my experiences there have always been lacking.  I think folks are going to start looking to them as a showroom, much like they do Best Buy now.  They will look and feel there and purchase elsewhere/online.  Unless you have a boutique music store in your town that you frequent, GC, unfortunately, may be the only game in town for some folks.

Greed is not good.
    craigb
    Re: Not surprised... 2014/08/13 23:33:26 (permalink)
    kson
    I think folks are going to start looking to them as a showroom, much like they do Best Buy now.  They will look and feel there and purchase elsewhere/online.

I completely agree!

GC has gotten a lot of my money over the years (over $40k during the main year I was building my studio - I worked out an agreement with a really good salesperson who's goal was to become manager and I bought everything from him at $2 over cost - he made manager).  When I moved up here, I tried to set up the same type of agreement and it worked for a while, but then the guy I was working with quit and went to Apple Music.  

clintmartin
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3893
    Re: Not surprised... 2014/08/14 22:07:51 (permalink)
    I love going into GC and asking questions...I will wander around until one of them will honestly reply "I don't know". That will be the guy I'll work with. Some of the BS these 20 year olds try to pull makes me laugh.

Cakewalk, Harrison Mixbus 4, Waveform 9, ADK intel i7 2600 3.40 ghz, 8gb Ram, Win 7, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. 
    http://www.youtube.com/c/clintmartinmusic
    https://itunes.apple.com/...lint-martin/1010966023
    https://open.spotify.com/artist/4x4TBz32i56bTJkgu7b4tN

sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Not surprised... 2014/08/14 22:50:35 (permalink)
    GC is the last place I'll go to if I want to pick someone's brain. It's good for the following things:

1) Buying strings
    2) Killing an hour with some acoustic guitars

I walk past a Guitar Center every day so buying strings is never a hassle. I know what I want and they know by now that I'm not going to check my fricken bag at the door just to buy a set of .011's. So that's all cool. 

And if I want to kill an hour with some acoustic noodling, I'm not going to do that in a small intimate guitar store where you're the center of attention. I'll do it in a vast corporate chain where nobody gives a rat's ass if you're just shooting the breeze. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    michaelhanson
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3529
    Re: Not surprised... 2014/08/14 23:04:28 (permalink)
    They just ignore me when I walk in, these days. Like you Sharke, they have figured out that I am there to buy what I came in for.

I do like it that you can pretty much pull anything off the wall and still play it and try it out. I do the same as you Sharke. I have one very close to work and I will wonder in just to play around with the instrument and kill an hour.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
    https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
    iTunes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
    BMI
    craigb
    Re: Not surprised... 2014/08/14 23:34:13 (permalink)
    It was easy for me to have GC pretty much to myself back in the day.  I would just walk in as a mature guy with a corporate haircut, lots of money, no tattoos and nice clothes.  This would prevent any of their normal sales guys from noticing I was there.  LOL.

Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re: Not surprised... 2014/08/14 23:47:26 (permalink)
    I wonder which of the Vegas store is unionized (is that the word)?

In my experience, GC is nothing out of the ordinary when it comes to music stores. I've seen as bad and even worst in smaller local music shops everywhere I've lived - and the worst I've had the displeasure to deal with were way beyond anything I've encountered at CG.

I've also seen stores where you had the weirdest mix of helpful and knowledgeable clerks and the most indifferent, arrogant pricks in the same department.

The weirdest I've seen was this local store were the clerks were all borderline useless but who hired those girls you'd expect to see behind the counter in a wild night clubs to work the cash register.  I guess they thought that this would give you a reason to come back and spend more $.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    Rain
    Re: Not surprised... 2014/08/14 23:52:06 (permalink)
    And that being said, my biggest reason to avoid music stores unless absolutely necessary is the customers, not the clerks.

I don't know how anyone can put up with that noise 8 hours a day.

sharke
    Re: Not surprised... 2014/08/15 00:06:41 (permalink)
    Rain
    And that being said, my biggest reason to avoid music stores unless absolutely necessary is the customers, not the clerks.

I don't know how anyone can put up with that noise 8 hours a day.

How do these kids manage to dial in such godawfully brittle tones to practice their harmonic minor scales with?

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    craigb
    Re: Not surprised... 2014/08/15 01:13:39 (permalink)
    What, you don't like my mash-up of Stairway to Heaven and Crazy Train done using an untuned $99 guitar through a Dual-Recto stack with the tone sliders made into a full smiley? 

Rain
    Re: Not surprised... 2014/08/15 01:33:33 (permalink)
    The weirdest thing is that I hate testing stuff over there. I'll usually play as quiet as possible, and as little as possible, even when I intend to buy something.

And there'll be this 50 year old guy who'd make Iggy Pop look like a business man walking up and plugging into an amp amp playing a riff with no sense of timing or melody.

And it just makes me sad, you know. So sad I want to die on the spot, out of empathy for them...

sharke
    Re: Not surprised... 2014/08/15 02:08:34 (permalink)
    I can imagine getting home after a day working in GC and just not wanting to look at a guitar all night. 

The absolute worst is when you're listening to someone play a riff or chord progression which you know, but they keep getting this one note or chord wrong and you just want to go over and set them straight but there's just no way of doing that without looking like a jerk. 

This isn't in GC but I regularly see these two teenage kids busking in the Columbus Circle subway. It's a sax player and a keyboard player and they only have one song - Careless Whisper by George Michael. The sax player blows his way clumsily through that famous sax riff and then botches one note of the last phrase...it's just a run up the D natural minor scale from A, but he plays Eb instead of E every time and it drives me nuts...

James
    craigb
    Re: Not surprised... 2014/08/15 03:12:18 (permalink)
    Rain
    And there'll be this 50 year old guy who'd make Iggy Pop look like a business man walking up and plugging into an amp amp playing a riff with no sense of timing or melody.

Ok, ok...  I'll stay out... 

Rain
    Re: Not surprised... 2014/08/16 15:44:47 (permalink)
    In my newsfeed this morning. The new Times Square GC... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIgiYvis3OY

sharke
    Re: Not surprised... 2014/08/17 00:15:20 (permalink)
    Rain
    In my newsfeed this morning. The new Times Square GC... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIgiYvis3OY

I probably shouldn't joke about this, but how hasn't there been one of those mass workplace shootings there yet? I cannot imagine a more psychosis-inducing environment. The one on 14th St isn't nearly so bad. I wonder if most of those people are Times Square tourists who see in this store a great opportunity to showcase their chops in New York, under the delusion that someone's going to "discover" them and pluck them from their small town in Indiana. 

James
    kson
    Re: Not surprised... 2014/08/17 19:08:49 (permalink)
    OMG.  Headphones anyone??  As much as I love to look and talk about gear, I couldn't work there.

I have a buddy that used to work at MARS and I don't know how he survived for so many years.
    MandolinPicker
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 720
    Re: Not surprised... 2014/08/24 18:22:21 (permalink)
    While reading this thread, I couldn't help but think of the exact opposite experience we just had while on vacation in Pigeon Forge, TN. I have always wanted a mountain dulcimer, and my wife promised to buy me one when I graduated from school (last semester coming up - and glad it'll be over). Anyway, while looking through the tourism books saw a small ad for 10% off accessories at a music shop called "Wood-N-Strings" in Townsend, TN (about 30 minutes from the campground we were staying at). So we decided to take a ride over. What a lovely little music shop. It is run by Mike Clemmer and his wife, Connie. Mike does his own custom made dulcimers as well as selling other brands. What a wonderful experience it was. His wife waited on us, while Mike was helping another lady with a hammered dulcimer. Both were very knowledgeable, and just good folk to be around. In the end, we purchased that dulcimer (so now I have to finish school), as well as some other stuff. Sure we spent some money, but it was well worth it. When I look at upgrading, you can bet I'll be taking a ride down to see Mike and Connie again!

Oh, here is the link to his shop - http://www.clemmerdulcimer.com/

The Mandolin Picker
    "Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Windows 8.1, Sonar Platinum (64-bit), AMD FX 6120 Six-Core, 10GB RAM
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1