Notating Slur/Ligature/Tie

Author
drho
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 26
2008/01/03 21:56:13 (permalink)

Notating Slur/Ligature/Tie

Hi,

I'm recently digging into my MC3, and found out that notation is quite difficult.
I also found out that this is a long problem between seqeuencers and notation programs.
However at this time I would just like to know if there is a way to notate slurs (or ties, whatever you may call) on the staff view. MC3 does happen to automatically make some ties between same notes - esp. when a measure starts with a 1/8th note.
Is there a way to make such slurs? If not, how can I make it effect on the event view or piano roll view, etc? (In this case some technique in inputting the notes may be needed, right?)

16 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Notating Slur/Ligature/Tie 2008/01/03 22:53:15 (permalink)
    you can't make slurs in MC - it's a very limited notation program. ties you make just by making the note value longer - you can do that by right clicking on the note and chaning the duration value. it will show the tie in the notation when you do that, but you can't make the notation do that any other way. once you make the duration longer in the staff view, it will be longer in the PRV as well.

good luck

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: Notating Slur/Ligature/Tie 2008/01/03 23:10:38 (permalink)
    If you're more interested in making the score look good, you could try Finale Print Music. I wrote a couple replies about it on here somewhere last week. I'll find them if you're interested.
    drho
    RE: Notating Slur/Ligature/Tie 2008/01/04 00:48:34 (permalink)
    Hmm.. I tried Beagle's way by increasing the duration, but that resulted in a tie between two notes (the original one and the 'new' lengthened one), not a slur between different levels. Is that what you mean? In that case, is it really possible to make the MIDI events sound like 'slurs' i.e. legato play?
    I'm not sure if the 'lengthening method' sounded like slurred play.. as far as I've tried..
    It's a long time since I had my music classes in high school and I wonder if a MIDI music intended to play as 'legato' and I could tell it apart from 'non-legato' playing.
    Slurs are surely on the music scores, but I wonder how they realize them on sequencers..

And yes, I've searched all those notation issues in the internet and found out that if I wanted to make 'authenic' notation (well, currently what I am doing is just transcribing classical music sheets - composition of my own will be a long, long time away from now )I would have to resort to either Finale or Sibelius. Well, maybe in the near future, but I'd like to master MC3 (which will one day maybe change into SONAR) before trying out another package..

At this point I just want to make notes (or events) sound like as played legato..
    Mamabear
    RE: Notating Slur/Ligature/Tie 2008/01/04 00:50:05 (permalink)
    Are you using the pedal? That would make them sound legato. I can show you how if you haven't discovered that. It's probably in the help file too though.
    drho
    RE: Notating Slur/Ligature/Tie 2008/01/04 01:23:45 (permalink)
    Er.. sorry.. all I have is my good ol' computer with its incorporated sound chip - no keyboards, no pedals, nothing.. except my mouse
    I'm a 100% beginner, and currently all I want is to faithfully replicate some classic sheets and have a good sense of inputting what I want to play.
    If I were to tweak those midi event lists like programming (of which language I don't know) it will proabably take a deal of effort?
    Beagle
    RE: Notating Slur/Ligature/Tie 2008/01/04 06:08:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: drho

Hmm.. I tried Beagle's way by increasing the duration, but that resulted in a tie between two notes (the original one and the 'new' lengthened one), not a slur between different levels. Is that what you mean? In that case, is it really possible to make the MIDI events sound like 'slurs' i.e. legato play?

right, the lengthening of the notes only causes TIES, not SLURS. You can't do SLURS in cakewalk's notation (I mentioned that in my last post, you must have missed it).

cakewalk's notation is pretty limited in what it can do - it's not a full blown notation program - you have to buy something like finale or sibelius for that.

Slurs are surely on the music scores, but I wonder how they realize them on sequencers..

the only way to get the slur sound in cakewalk is to PLAY it that way on the keyboard, not enter it into the notation. even then it won't show up as a slur on the notation since that's not supported in their notation.

At this point I just want to make notes (or events) sound like as played legato..

do you have a MIDI keyboard? if not, it CAN be done in staff or PRV view, but it's not easy since, as you've discovered, the notation doesn't cover that feature. here's a link on some orchestral MIDI editing. I think it has some info in there on how to edit for different types of musical feels. Hope that helps!

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=77

Mamabear
    RE: Notating Slur/Ligature/Tie 2008/01/04 06:36:23 (permalink)
    You can add the pedal effect in the staff view. Go to staff view, click on the fancy 'P' (the far right icon directly above the staff). Click the draw tool (2nd icon from the left in that same row), drag your mouse down below the bass clef and left click once. A fancy P (meaning pedal) should appear, with an asterisk a couple beats away (meaning pedal up). You want one of those pairs at least every measure, with usually the P right under the first beat of the measure. If the chord changes in the middle of the measure (which is probably will), you'll want a pedal there too. Try a couple measures and listen to it and see if that's the effect you're looking for.
    drho
    RE: Notating Slur/Ligature/Tie 2008/01/04 19:19:57 (permalink)
    I think I found out what I have wanted - but the results were not that impressive.

http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tech/midispec.htm

This link shows the MIDI controller command for making a legato play (Controller 68 with value 127). These kinds of stuff were the mystic language which prevented me from using sequencers, etc. for more than a decade. However MC3 did easily made it to put it on the event chart.. but.. it sounded same to me whether I use it or not. The instrument was the Violin from the usual softbank included in MC3. Other controllers like PAN and Sustained Pedal worked, so I guess the input was not wrong..
    The pedal Mamabear suggested was actually the Sustained Pedal (Controller 64 with value 127), which sustains sounds but not necessarily slurring them..

So.. the Legato Pedal controller command doesn't work well in MC3..or does it? It sounded similar on Piano too, but does this pedal apply to only certain instruments, etc.?
    post edited by drho - 2008/01/04 19:33:54
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Notating Slur/Ligature/Tie 2008/01/04 21:09:49 (permalink)
    I only played with it a little, trying to see how to do it, but I think you need to use the wheel controller, which acts like a pitch bend on a keyboard (I had to look up legato on Wikipedia, and I thought a slur was a bad word ). I read somewhere that it takes a lot of practice and patience to get it right. I think RobertB wrote that. I'll see if I can reproduce what I did and pass on the info.
    Greg

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    drho
    RE: Notating Slur/Ligature/Tie 2008/01/05 01:51:49 (permalink)
    Oh, and one more.. if MC3 can't do slurs/ties, then can SONAR do?

And... if we use either Finale or Sibelius (which certainly must 'display' slurs) and use ties/slurs, will it sound like ties/slurs acutally?
    Mamabear
    RE: Notating Slur/Ligature/Tie 2008/01/05 09:52:55 (permalink)
    No, Finale won't make them sound like slurs. It just plays back the music so you can hear if the notes are right but it doesn't sound particularly good.
    Beagle
    RE: Notating Slur/Ligature/Tie 2008/01/05 10:49:46 (permalink)
    and neither does sonar. the notation in MC is exactly the same as it is in sonar.

Mamabear
    RE: Notating Slur/Ligature/Tie 2008/01/13 12:34:26 (permalink)
    I was thinking about your question about slurs last night when trying to play a midi track for strings. I just found out I can't use the sustain pedal when wanting to play strings (duh...but I'm just a piano player...). So when I came to a part that I wanted to slur to the next note, I wasn't sure at first how to do it. Then I realized that just making the note extend to the end of the beat (in piano roll view) will automatically create a slur. On the other hand, if you want staccato, the notes have to be shorter (not extend to the end of the beat). Does that help? Hopefully you've figured it out by now, but I've been thinking about it since you first asked and felt bad that we couldn't help any better.
    drho
    RE: Notating Slur/Ligature/Tie 2008/01/14 21:54:44 (permalink)
    I happened to find your answer by incidence; well, for me I solved the problem by increasing the attack rate of the string instrument. It then sounds much less like a 'keyboarded violin' although as the attack slope increases slowly, it sounds a bit strange. Extending the note using the sustain controller seemed to work for me, but that resulted in overlapping notes, rather that slurs.

I came here for a somewhat question unrealted with MC3, however I ask since some here seem to use Finale or Sibelius.
    I've been doing some research about better-sounding instruments, since the violin/strings on MC3 was still what it heard 10 years ago.. well, VSC (Virtual Sound Canvas) is the soft version of what I heard 10 years ago (SC-55 / 88Pro) anyway..

I've found out at last what I may need - a good enough sampler (or sound bank). Among those the Garritan Personal Orchestra (GPO) which Beagle happened to link for legato above was interesting; although the sounds were not perfectly real (the EastWest one did, but that was the Platinum version which is >$1000! ) but the cost was reasonable and more above, it claimed to connect with Finale and Sibelius and read all those specific notations (including that XXXX slur) and will play as indicated.

Does anybody have experience or opinions about this claim? If it is so, it would truly be a worth to think about of..
    drho
    RE: Notating Slur/Ligature/Tie 2008/01/14 21:57:48 (permalink)
    Oh, and one more.. I never felt bad and thanks for giving your advice
    Mamabear
    RE: Notating Slur/Ligature/Tie 2008/01/14 23:05:37 (permalink)
    I'm glad you found a way that works. I just increased the duration of the notes in the piano roll view, so it's relatively easy to keep them from overlapping there. Have fun!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1