Notation Software

Author
Nutty
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2056
2009/01/15 20:27:05 (permalink)

Notation Software

I am looking at hopefully finding a (painless) method of writing my songs in standard notation. Now, I don't know how to write standard notation, but am willing to learn. For example..when do you use a half not verses a quarter note tied....I guess there must be a set of rules or guidelines somewhere. Berklee online course average about $1200..so that's not really an option for me!

I don't think Sonar or Band in a Box are very good with notation. Ihave Guitar Pro 5.1, but have never been able to use it. Maybe I just haven't dedicated enough time to it? I couldn't find any half decent tutorials. But, if I can do what I want with Guitar Pro, then that would probably be my best (cheapest) option. I just want to write the melody, harmonies, chords and eventually, maybe include the bass clef.

I do have the Axiom 25 midi controller that I can set up to play like a keyboard and do real time recording. However, I would have to figure out the notes out by ear which can take a whole lot of time. I did play with that once before, but my keyboard skills are not that great. So, I'm not sure which software is the best to do this. I am not sure if there is a program that can do this by using guitar chords? That would be a huge bonus.

Any help, advice and/or recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.

Annette

Nutty /Annette
http://www.soundclick.com/atmmusic
Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars

17 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Notation Software 2009/01/15 20:46:35 (permalink)
    Well, you might see a quarter note tied if there were a slur, or if the half note spanned two measures.
    Are you open to writing Tablature?
    I use Power Tab Editor (free), and it writes standard notation based on the TABs you enter. It also allows you to insert string bends, and tremolo effects that will play in the MIDI file output.
    It's a cool program, but may not be quite what you are after.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Nutty
    RE: Notation Software 2009/01/15 21:45:37 (permalink)
    Thanks Bob,

I'll have a look at that. I might try another crack at Guitar Pro as well. I've learned a lot in the past year (thank you), so I might have a better idea of how it works. I'm not going to be writing notation for four part harmonies anytime soon, so I can take my time at this as well.

I have sooo many things I want to learn yesterday, it's hard to prioritize what to do first! What will give me the biggest bang for my buck (time..not many $$$here).

Thanks again.

Annette

Nutty /Annette
    Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Notation Software 2009/01/15 21:54:29 (permalink)
    when I want real notation I use finale. they have several "flavors" (much like cakewalk, the higher the price, the more features). I use the printmusic, IIRC. it was like $80 or $90. but they have a $10 version called notepad with very few bells and whistles - and you get an 'upgrade' price if you download notepad for $10 toward the upper levels. you can add tab to it, but probably not at the notepad level.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Notation Software 2009/01/15 23:14:57 (permalink)
    Using MC or SONAR for sheet music isn't too hard. I don't know of any program that will do it with audio, so regardless, you're going to be doing a lot of clicking.
    Since these are your songs, you know what the chords are and probably the notes in the chord and scale. When you enter a note in the staff view, you can hear it (provided a soft synth is on that track), so you know if what you clicked in is the right note. If it's not, just drag the note up or down. Right-click the notes to make them flat or sharp (I don't know keys and scales, so all my songs are in 'C', as far as the staff knows).
    I've done this before with a few of my songs, just the vocal melody with lyrics and the chord symbols above, and it's relatively painless.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Notation Software 2009/01/16 07:31:08 (permalink)
    all my songs are in 'C', as far as the staff knows

Me too.... just because I'm lazy and never go in to set the proper key...... if I did set the right key ... it would make editing a bit easier..... but I normally punch in so editing with the mouse is minimal.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Notation Software 2009/01/16 11:39:36 (permalink)
    In band i a box there is a way to sing the notes in and get a melody line that way, and the system will note the chords and such. But the real question is why do you want this? To copyright, or to give to others to play from? I would go over and start a thread at PG there are some smart folks about this stuff over there that can most likely help.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Beagle
    RE: Notation Software 2009/01/16 11:45:16 (permalink)
    yeah - after re-reading your post, I don't think notation software is really what you're wanting. you're wanting something more like what rob just mentioned in BIAB which will help with figuring out the notes of your melody, right?

Nutty
    RE: Notation Software 2009/01/16 12:04:17 (permalink)
    What Robo has mentioned would definitely be the easiest method. Even if it is not 100%, I can figure it out. I could use Greg's method as well. I was just giving Guitar Pro 5 a shot and after 15 minutes I'm pulling my hair out (which is typical when learning a new software program.

I have a one-line psalm I have to learn for tomorrow...and I heard this can be a problem with Guitar Pro... It is 4/4 timing...the first measure is only 2 beats...the last two beats are in the last measure...which add up to 4 beats...but it see's those measures as errors and won't play it smoothly like it should. I'm not sure how other notatatio programs handle this. I can try it in staff view maybe and see what happens. I have an older version of Finale Notepad too, if someone can tell me how to do it in that software. While I can easily pick out the notes on the guitar, I find it much easier hearing it played on a piano for some reason.

And to the other questions...I may copyright some of my songs. It would also be nice to have the notation if I want someone to play another instrument...keys for example or my youngest daughter is getting really good at the clarinet and my other daughter plays bass and can read the bass clef....And yes, it might be nice to have a piece of paper where you can say..."I wrote this??".... Also, it might help in writing songs as well...to try out variations of line to see what you works better for you . While I can easily pick out the notes on the guitar, I find it much easier hearing it played on a piano for some reason.

So I will head over to PG music and see what they say.

Thanks.

Annette

Nutty /Annette
    Beagle
    RE: Notation Software 2009/01/16 12:16:23 (permalink)
    is 4/4 timing...the first measure is only 2 beats...the last two beats are in the last measure...which add up to 4 beats...but it see's those measures as errors and won't play it smoothly like it should. I'm not sure how other notatatio programs handle this

annette - this is easy to do! all you have to do is create the song in 4/4, but leave RESTS on the first 2 beats of the first measure and RESTS on the last two beats of the last measure!

Nutty
    RE: Notation Software 2009/01/16 19:44:28 (permalink)
    Ah..that makes sense.... I've very green with notation software...anohter learning curve ahead!!!

Annette

Nutty /Annette
    Beagle
    RE: Notation Software 2009/01/16 22:57:33 (permalink)
    that can be done in the Staff view of MC/SHS, tho. just start placing the notes on the 3rd beat of the first measure and when you get to the end of the song, just don't put notes after the 2nd beat and rests will be in the places where you didn't place notes.

shredheadinstead
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 478
    RE: Notation Software 2009/01/16 23:47:05 (permalink)
    I too own guitar pro 5; it's fantastic software, and converts all tab to Standard Notation effortlessly. If you need help with the software, let me know how I can help. I use to all the time; it's the best imo, before you start hitting the crazy stuff on the market that goes for hundreds of dollars more!
    Nutty
    RE: Notation Software 2009/01/17 08:35:54 (permalink)
    Thanks Shred,

I would really appreciate that. I have tried a few times on my own (quite a while ago), but gave up. A quick search of other programs present nice things, but not what I want to do. Looks like there is no quick fix, so if I can do this in guitar pro, then that's what I will do. It was overly expensive, but it's still an investment I have made. I had 5.1 and just got my account out to download 5.1. I also downloaded all the RSE instrument sounds. I know a lot more about creating music now then I did before, so maybe it won't seem as difficult this time around.

I have downloaded and printed the manaul (somewhere), but I tried to find some tutorials or support forum and I couldn't find anything. Would it be okay to e-mail you if there are no other supports or tutorials available?

Thanks.
    Annette

Nutty /Annette
    shredheadinstead
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 478
    RE: Notation Software 2009/01/17 12:55:03 (permalink)
    Yeah sure. My email is: shredheadinstead@yahoo.com

Let me know how I can help and I'll do my best.

Bryant
    Nutty
    RE: Notation Software 2009/01/18 18:29:56 (permalink)
    Thanks Bryant,

I'll send you an e-mail of what I'm trying to do.

Annette

Nutty /Annette
    odizen30
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: RE: Notation Software 2010/06/27 09:14:35 (permalink)
    Can anybody help me? is it possible to migrate finale notation to cakewalk music creator 5? if so how?

Thanks
    Beagle
    Re: RE: Notation Software 2010/06/27 14:32:06 (permalink)
    hi, odizen
    you should still start a new thread on a new question.

but yes, you can export finale's notation as MIDI then import into MC5 as MIDI. in finale,  just choose SAVE AS then when the window pops up change the SAVE AS TYPE to MID.
    then in MC5, click on a MIDI track, then choose FILE>IMPORT>MIDI

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1