Notebook as remote controller for a rack mount DAW?

Author
Rabid
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 45
2010/11/11 16:06:33 (permalink)

Notebook as remote controller for a rack mount DAW?

I have a nicely spec'ed rack mount ADK coming any time and was tryinig to figure a way to use it from 10 to 20 feet away. Then I got the idea of using some type of remote desktop control from my notebook. Has anyone tried this?  Can I use Windows features already in Win7 Prof (DAW) and Win7 Home (Notebook)? Does enabeling it introduce any problems with pauses or latency that I don't want on my nice, clean music machine?

2 Replies Related Threads

fsr76
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 56
    Re:Notebook as remote controller for a rack mount DAW? 2010/11/11 19:30:03 (permalink)
    Depends on what you are trying to remote.  If you're trying to remote the entire experience of your rackmount over to your laptop screen, it's probably not going to work very well.  If you want to give it a try, you would probably want to try some version of VNC (UltraVNCbefore Windows Remote Desktop.  Keep in mind that sounds coming from the audio software on the rack mount will not be transferred to the laptop and there might be some pauses or skips in the audio from network activity on the rack mount.  All sounds coming from the rack mount will play through the audio interface on the rack mount.

If you're just trying to remote transport controls, look at the Frontier Design Tranzport.

Fred
    PCAudioLabs
    Rok Box MC
    Rabid
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re:Notebook as remote controller for a rack mount DAW? 2010/11/11 22:13:49 (permalink)
    Just things like Daw controle and patch selection. No processing or sound transfer. A way to use the notebook as a small keyboard/mouse pad/monitor attached by one simple cable.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1