Nothing On My Mind

Author
Roflcopter
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6767
2008/05/25 10:33:15 (permalink)

Nothing On My Mind

More cheerful and traditional little tune this time, probably because I'm so happy with my monitors. Never worry, that'll pass again.

Hmm. I do begin to develop some audible preferences here, time for Reason 4 to arrive with more sounds.

(Top song in the player in the Music section on my site, see link in my sig.)

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.

16 Replies Related Threads

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: Nothing On My Mind 2008/05/25 10:47:20 (permalink)
    Very infectious rhythmes. I love the slap bass.

I hear a simple, festive horn melody floating over the rythmic mosaic.

Nice tune.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    wickerman
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1039
    RE: Nothing On My Mind 2008/05/25 10:53:35 (permalink)
    That's a cool piece, like the movement there. Sounds as if it would be great for a short film of a stick man on some kind of journey. :)

robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Nothing On My Mind 2008/05/25 11:10:59 (permalink)
    You guys that do all MIDI can really get some amazingly clean sounding mixes. Clean and perfectly in time.

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    Roflcopter
    RE: Nothing On My Mind 2008/05/25 12:33:27 (permalink)
    @Rick

Thanks. Hmm horns. Now there's an idea. Will try adding that with my padkontrol. DimPro expansion pack has few nice ones. Maybe make a layered version....

@Terry

Yeah I am still trying to come up with good ideas for short animations. I'm still reading up and watching a lot of good example though, and then start with something *very* simple - I fould a base piece of Greek pillar (in plaster) which gave me the idea for a short one about a holy man on a pillar - not too much movement there... so I'm working on the voice altering software at the same time - need alll sorts of looney tunes voices, and then still come up with a good storyline - it's quite a bit of work making even a minute or two.

@Robby Yeah long live quantization and the lack of cumulative ambience from using only the choicest of Midi Microphones. Although I must say that I also stay away from reverb. None used here. Cheap verbs clash horribly.

When I put up the full version (in wav, for sale) the percussion will all be done by hand, there will be guitars added (real), and some extra humanizing. Might even fake a live ambience on some.

But I'm definitely in my clean phase, and the monitors help. Getting midi to sound acceptable without using a lot of tricks, just by layering the right instruments, is one of the things I'm getting to be pretty good at. Must have auditioned over a 1000 different patches for this one - long live a decent patch browser (NI).
    post edited by Roflcopter - 2008/05/25 13:00:18

Mamabear
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: Nothing On My Mind 2008/05/25 15:59:53 (permalink)
    This is a cool song--fun to listen to! i sat there the first half wondering how on earth you get those sounds! I'm still stuck in traditional instruments and don't do them all that well yet. Oh, I see you auditioned over 1000 different patches. I guess i need to spend TIME looking for cool stuff! Great job!
    rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    RE: Nothing On My Mind 2008/05/25 19:26:18 (permalink)
    This is cool

I can easily see some live guitar thrown down on top of this.

You really got a sense of beats.

Ron
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    RE: Nothing On My Mind 2008/05/25 19:33:58 (permalink)
    reminds me of somthing from Danny Elfman....I've always enjoyed your stuff...and this bubbly tune works well also

keep it up brudda!
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Nothing On My Mind 2008/05/25 22:42:22 (permalink)
    Good tune..... I like your use of the various patches....it makes it interesting.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Nothing On My Mind 2008/05/26 14:53:59 (permalink)
    Nice work Rob.

Sounds cool.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Haddox
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 321
    RE: Nothing On My Mind 2008/05/26 17:06:14 (permalink)
    That's really cool! It's an amazing weave of rythms and textures. Almost classical in arrangement.

I think there's some video game potential here. I mean that as a compliment.

It's just gettin' better an better

Some of my 2nz 
    www.haddoxthomas.com

Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    RE: Nothing On My Mind 2008/05/26 19:59:41 (permalink)
    Nice happy little tune. I am not a big fan of BIAB guitars though. I like the real ones.
    Still this was fun to listen to.
    6StringGeek
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: Nothing On My Mind 2008/05/26 20:07:06 (permalink)
    sweet...makes you want to dance on a tropical island with an umbrella drink...

-Inspiron 530s, Core2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 4MB cache
    -SONAR 7 Studio/EZDrummer/Lambda/Toneport UX1

"You want to walk away from your dreams, or do you want to come in
    here with me, like the Tenacious D I know, and change rock history!"

Roflcopter
    RE: Nothing On My Mind 2008/05/27 02:47:20 (permalink)
    @Janet

A 1000 sounds like a lot but it went relatively quick - I switch them while playing the song. Again, that NI patch browser model they use in all their stuff really works for me. Will now also check out that Kore controller, and Kontakt full now also has my attention. If you want to make music, you don't want to waste your time hunting sounds and not finding them, or can't find them back again.

@Ron

Yeah I love beats. [:) My idea of a good bass line somehow always pivots back to 'Something About You' by Level 42, but a lot faster of course. I remember first hearing that kind of funky slap bass, and I just melted.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=w21yGM66qcI

@Tom

Danny Elfman, now that's another pair of room-size shoes for me. I love that guys work, you ever listened closely to that Frighteners score of his? Damn.

@ Herb

Yes, I like layering. I think there's hardly an instrument that's not doubled or tripled.

@ Shad

I know it's probably a bit too 'shinyhappy' for your cuppa, but as soon as I get Reason 4 there will be quite a bit more of the electronics stuff too (really like that arpeggiator in Reason) and that should be more up your alley

@ TomH

A video game - well I was thinking more like those seventies kids series, or even more modern. Bit of excitement, but definitely on the Mr. Rogers side of town. Then again, if you replace one instrument with organ and take it down 5/10 BPM, it could easily be played in a church, I think.

@Bruce

Well, they are useful, and gosh it makes them faster than I can blink. They sound crappola out of the box too tho, so this is a patch from Independence Free, with a tinge of TTS-1 tinfoil up the high end, also stretching it out a bit.

These are all make-do guitars, and I can discard much more than I can even consider recording, this way. Especially the selective discarding process needs speed, not perfection. It's a silly demo. If someone buys it, well I hope he/they can play.

@ Dan

Private remote islands are always high on mad scientists agenda. The more sharks circling your harem, the better.

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Nothing On My Mind 2008/05/27 13:48:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Roflcopter

...time for Reason 4 to arrive with more sounds.

Not to mention the Arpeggi8r, the Matrix, the ReGroove mixer, DrRex, Redrum etc. etc, the new synth(s) Thor in itself is likely to keep you occupied for months. If there was anyone I can think of on this forum that will enjoy R4 it's gonna be you.

I can't wait to hear it!!!
    fep
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1186
    RE: Nothing On My Mind 2008/05/27 15:14:42 (permalink)
    Bummed, this won't play on my computer, waited several minutes for it to load. I seem to have a problem with that player.

Some of My Tunes

HS 6 XL, M-audio Delta 44, Digitech GNX3000, Dell Dimension 8400 Pentuim 4 3.4 Ghz, 2GB Ram
    Roflcopter
    RE: Nothing On My Mind 2008/05/27 17:25:08 (permalink)
    Not to mention the Arpeggi8r, the Matrix, the ReGroove mixer, DrRex, Redrum etc. etc, the new synth(s) Thor in itself is likely to keep you occupied for months. If there was anyone I can think of on this forum that will enjoy R4 it's gonna be you.

I can't wait to hear it!!!

Yeah I'm waiting for a certain package from Sweden with a lot of anticipation ATM. Hope it gets here tomorrow, but probably day after that.

@fep

Really don't know what could cause that. It's Flash, so it's either a version thing (upgrade to 9) or a security thing with your firewall/AV settings.

There is a link to the soundclick player under Links, too.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1