Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Garry Stubbs
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2619
2012/03/29 19:46:15 (permalink)

Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production

Hopefully a slightly different entry into the song section of the forum.

This is the song forum right? Not just the 'production' forum. I am more interested in comments on the song rather than the sparse production as I feel I can write a song like this every day at the moment but they do not fit into my album project which is a far more dense affair. I wanted to completely change genres and try to write an alt-country type of track. 

I would humbly ask you to listen to a simple guitar and vocal demo of a song I wrote for a professional singer friend of mine recorded on my Sonar X1 mobile rig in my garden of all places in the glorious English heatwave earlier today. It took just 20 minutes to introduce Janette to the song and record two takes, she is that good. We had a blast. I literally leveled out my guitar and Janette's vocal track, put a little eq, mastering reverb on and that is it. Yup, it has wind noise and birdsong on it, as I say more interested in developing more songs like this. I will post up a full band version as it develops. 

Title was inspired by the recent Cori Yarckin 'Everything Reminds Me of You' showcased by Cakewalk last week, but thats where the resemblance ends...

Janette loves the song and wants to perform it live with her band. I would be genuinely interested in where you think I should go with this song production wise? 

http://soundcloud.com/gar...hing-reminds-me-of-you

Cheers

Garry Kiosk

post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2012/03/30 07:09:18

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)

35 Replies Related Threads

panup
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2538
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/03/29 20:08:04 (permalink)
    Song was so good I had to listen it twice!  Thanks for sharing. :-)
    Old55
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 19791
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/03/29 22:38:18 (permalink)
    That's better than a run-of-the-mill demo.  Nice song, performance and recording.  

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/03/29 22:57:38 (permalink)
    For how and where it was recorded, it's great.

Love the birds. :)

When you do this in the studio, you need to add them in. Seriously. They make the song.

Bub.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/03/29 23:15:08 (permalink)
    Hey Garry- What a pleasure to see you back in Songs, and debuting with such a sweet song.  I could not pull out all of the lyrics thru my pc speakers, but got enough of them to say I liked what I heard.  And here I thought you were a keyboardist.  Janette sounded great, but when you go to do a full band recording, I think I could hear her re-keyed a bit higher (that's not really a production comment, right?).

Drop me an email when you get a chance.
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/03/30 00:40:39 (permalink)
    Nice (as I said in the CH earlier)
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/03/30 00:51:01 (permalink)
    Nice song, vocal and ambiance.

Rimshot.

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    Garry Stubbs
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/03/30 06:14:57 (permalink)
    Well, thank you so much guys. I thought I was going in for a rough ride. I guess putting a song out there brings out the insecurities in us from time to time. However if you believe your song puts over what you were trying to say, then that is success of a kind.

Panup - So glad it made you go back for more

Old 55 - Thanks, the garden source meant it was pointless spending too much time on preparing it as is only intended as a sketchpad for both a performance and a full production recording. However a little eq and reverb can make it a little sweeter if used sparingly

Bub - I will remember the birds on a production version, perhaps an emblem of hope in a melancholic song !

Philz - So kind, guitar is my first instrument, but like many of us I can turn my hand to most things as required. Yes I will pm you. Thanks, I am getting more productive with my music again nowadays. Nice point on the key, we could always try it out up a full tone.

Bapu - Thanks...

Rimshot - Thanks too - the song is the thing as they say...

post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2012/03/30 07:00:43

Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/03/30 07:49:32 (permalink)
    Garry,
    this is a cool song!  Janette has a great voice!  nice guitar playing

as you probably know, there are a lot of problems with the recording - was it recorded outside (wind sounds on the mic) and there's some feedback occassionally too.

but, you asked about the song and structure and I think it's a great song, good melody, nice chord progression.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Garry Stubbs
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/03/31 01:28:30 (permalink)
    Thanks so much Beagle. 

Yes as I mentioned in my post Beag, I submitted this as a 'song' to the song forum rather than a production. The point being, sometimes, a fast workflow under less than ideal recording circumstances can often benefit creativity. The craft of production at a later stage is an entirely different beast. 

I think we sometimes spend too much time trying to compose at the DAW instead of perhaps getting the whole song structure right first. I had also never written in this genre before although I listen to a lot. I think I may have found a good workflow here. I want to make a full production version of this. The positive vibes I have received about my song here, especially from the calibre of musicians / songwriters on the forum here has been very encouraging in this regard.

Garry

post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2012/03/31 16:23:29

MannyNY
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/03/31 10:01:06 (permalink)
    Cool tune – has that up close and personal vibe. Lyrics are good, melody is simple, gentle and works well with the lyrics. So, yeah – a keeper. If I was going to record it, I would not make it too full, wouldn’t add a lot of instrumentation – there is a “lightness” to this that is part of why it works (for me)  and I wouldn’t want to overpower it.  Acoustic guitars, acoustic bass and backup vocals. Good stuff.
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/03/31 10:18:08 (permalink)
    Hi Garry,

Very nice song.  Janette has a lovely voice, too.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    Scoobie
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 263
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/03/31 10:55:44 (permalink)
    Cool song, I like it.   Love the raw recording.
    It has the vibe of a Paul Simon or James Taylor song.

Tim

Outback Remote Recording,  16 or 24 track mobile rig.
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/03/31 11:01:20 (permalink)
    Joni Mitchell would love this. Instantly brought me back to the early 70s listening to my older sister's 45s.
    julibee
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2826
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/03/31 14:05:18 (permalink)
    Garry, I listened to this last night, and then got sidetracked before I could comment... :S

Whatever you do, make sure you put some birds in there! I loved hearing them! Great songwriting, guitar and a lovely voice.... It's all there for a nice production- and Joni was also my first thought.  I'd say to keep it folky, rather than alt-country, but that's just an opinion. :)

Oh... And also thanks for using soundcloud... I'm mostly on my iPad these days, and can't easily get to Soundclick or reverbnation stuff.
    post edited by julibee - 2012/03/31 14:07:27

She who must be obeyed. ***New and Improved with a Scarlett 8i6!***
    Soundcloud     www.juliannamcduffie.com
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/03/31 14:13:46 (permalink)
    That's a really nice song Garry. As mentioned, keep the birds, also keep the laughs at the end, lose the wind I could hear a nice folk backing for this, mandolin, accordian, maybe a solo fiddle.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    twisted6s
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2001
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/03/31 14:51:13 (permalink)
    I'm getting a Karen Carpenter vibe, lovely tune

Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 ghz processor, 8 gig ram, 2.5Tb drives, Sonar Platinum, Lynx L22, FMR Audio RNP & RNC, Mackie HR824, Neumann tlm 103, Window 10 64
    https://soundcloud.com/twisted6s/sets/tony-pruden

Garry Stubbs
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/03/31 16:17:13 (permalink)
    Manny - Thats a great suggestion, I think it could easily be overproduced and  instrumented too. Will probably do some guide tracks to a click in my studio proper v soon and not even sure if percussion will enhance this song, as you say, its got lightness and possibly not appreciate being 'driven' along. Maybe some light hand percussion?

Geeare - Thank you. Yes Janette is really good, and as a challenge I wrote this song with her voice in mind

Scoobie - Paul Simon or James Taylor vibe - well that's more than good enough for me ! Thank you

James Yoyo - If there was a vibe I wanted to capture with this song, that would be it !

Julibee - Thank you for the song and guitar playing comments. My guitar playing is a little more percussive than normal here simply for the timing and cues as this was only the SECOND time we performed it all the way through - A more laid back vibe for a keeper track in the Kiosk Studio I think. Didn't think of a folk vibe at all when I wrote it, interesting...  PS I went for SoundCloud primarily because of the Cakewalk connection now in X1E, seemed like the right thing to do...

James G - You picked up on that too, which makes it doubly interesting. Will have to think about that actually

Twisted - You are not the first person to say that about Janette's voice, and, as I wrote this song with her voice in mind, maybe that's how these things work.

Thx v much

Garry Kiosk

post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2012/03/31 16:57:13

mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/03/31 16:25:13 (permalink)
    nice stuff Garry, not sure how i missed this earlier, i thouht i had done all the songs on the first page pretty much! not gonna comment on production as you request, you can hear the class of the singer shining through. on a full studio production this is gonna be epic!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/03/31 18:49:12 (permalink)
    Hi Garry
    +1 on the Karen Carpenter. Great tune love the chord progression. Very well written lyrics with a catchy hook. I like that Janette changes her vocals and goes higher then just singing along with the guitar chords. GREAT piece!

Kev
    post edited by drumstixkev - 2012/03/31 18:50:45

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

Garry Stubbs
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/03/31 19:18:34 (permalink)
    Wow, thanks MGH and Kev, and I am sure thanks from Janette too. I have sent her a link to this thread as she has brought my song to life and deserves her props. 

Going to do a studio version of this as soon as is practical.

Garry

paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/04/01 14:33:33 (permalink)
    As I said to you privately Garry, you could go anywhere you want with this, but there is much to be said for keeping it simple. It's easy to tell that Janette is someone who is comfortable with singing and she makes it sound easy - always the sign of true talent. Keep the birdies and the laughs too - gives the whole thing a very relaxed feel. Looking forward to hearing the "proper" version and also some more of your work if this is anything to go by.
    Garry Stubbs
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/04/01 15:10:52 (permalink)
    Hi Paul,

For some reason I didn't see any PM from you on this, maybe because my inbox is full and I just had to delete a few to read one from someone else. If it is in your sent folder still, just copy and paste it back to me, there will be room now. Yes, I think I may have found a new workflow now, demoing a complete song structure on my mobile rig before committing to a full production, as opposed to composing on my main studio DAW as I go.

Cheers

Garry

post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2012/04/01 15:17:10

notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/04/01 20:37:19 (permalink)
    I like the song, and love the singer's voice...
    CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/04/01 21:04:10 (permalink)
    I enjoyed this very much.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/04/01 22:49:57 (permalink)
    This is just great Garry.  Great song, great lyrics, great playing and she's got such a great voice.  Pretty amazing to get this down so well so quickly.

I'd have to listen a few more times to think about production ideas.  But of course a piano would be nice. :)

Garry Stubbs
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/04/02 14:40:25 (permalink)
    Notnat - thanks so much, cant wait to do a quality job on this now, perhaps a little trimming of a lyric here and there to aid phrasing

Clean - If you enjoyed, then, as a song, thats all I can ask for. Thank you

Mamabear, sorry Janet ! - Thats praise indeed, thank you, I did particularly try to hone any songwriter skills I may have developed over the years on this in terms of structure, middle eight and of course, feeling. Yes I was thrilled too at how quick Janette picked up my song and then each of her suggestions for arrangement only improved the song. I never intended to record, that was for another day but we went so quickly I just jerry-rigged something up in the garden and went for two takes. Whoa ! Even on the second take Janette was improving her delivery so there's no saying where she could take this or anything else I could write for her. It's a long time since I was pro and worked on the circuit and I had forgotten the main difference in working with pros is that you get a quality musical result, very quickly and very consistently.

Thanks for your very encouraging remarks.

Garry

SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/04/02 15:35:36 (permalink)

You've got a winner of a tune on your hands there Garry

And you were certainly right about Janette, she has a beautiful voice.

Personally, I wouldn't do a lot to it in the studio. Maybe a harmony here and there but keep the simple guitar/vocals thing really.

Nice

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/04/02 15:47:49 (permalink)
    Strummy made me listen

Nice tune and sweet voice.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Garry Stubbs
    Re:Nothing Reminds Me Of You - song not the production 2012/04/03 13:14:04 (permalink)
    Strummy - Thanks for the comments, I think you have confirmed my original thoughts when I wrote this, which is to keep it acoustic and simple, so that's the way I am going to go with this song.

Wookiee - Everyone needs a mate like you ! - and thanks...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1