Novation Launchpad with Matrix?

Author
Kundabuffer
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2009/12/17 16:34:50 (permalink)

Novation Launchpad with Matrix?

Has anyone tried using the new Novation Launchpad with the Matrix view yet?

I realize it was developed for Live, but it seems like a pretty cheap way into a Monome-style controller for Matrix view.

Sonar pioneers, please share the scoop with the rest of us or I may have to join your ranks!

-kundabuffer

4 Replies Related Threads

Kundabuffer
    Re:Novation Launchpad with Matrix? 2009/12/19 23:45:50 (permalink)
    Based on the lack of response thus far, I'm guessing not many have tried this yet.

Never fear, I will be the guinea pig. My Launchpad just arrived today. I'll report back on how well these two work together.

-kb
    Resonant Order
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 647
    Re:Novation Launchpad with Matrix? 2009/12/19 23:55:45 (permalink)
    Please give a report when you have one.

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Music at Night, 1931- Aldous Huxley
    tecknot
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 766
    Re:Novation Launchpad with Matrix? 2009/12/20 01:20:50 (permalink)
    Well, I do not have a launchpad...so I'm no rocket scientist...(just kidding), but if you pick up either of the last two issues of SoundOnSound magazine (that is, December or January), the great Craig Anderton has mentioned using launch pad with the Matrix with good results in both his SONAR techniques article (December) and in his SONAR 8.5 review (January).  So it sounds like a go.

Check it out:
    http://www.soundonsound.c...sonarworkshop_1209.htm
    http://www.soundonsound.c...0/articles/sonar85.htm

Take care,

tecknot
    Kundabuffer
    Re:Novation Launchpad with Matrix? 2010/01/08 18:39:02 (permalink)
    So I finally got this lovely piece of hardware working with Matrix view last night.

Since Sonar triggers scenes from the top, I rotated the unit 90 degrees to put the column triggers at the top and then mapped each cell with a CC message to an 8 x 8 grid within matrix.

Everything works fine, but there are several caveats:

1) The Matrix view doesn't send any MIDI messages out; since you have to use Automap MIDI instead of an Automap wrapper, you don't get two-way communication with the Launchpad. This means that triggering a new scene will leave cells lit on the device that are no longer playing. A potential solution would be to turn each pad to momentary instead of toggle and give up any visual feedback about what's playing since it could be wrong.

2) Likewise, each mapped cell will be lit even if there's no clip loaded into it in the Matrix.

3) Sonar only stores the MIDI learning with the project. This means you'd have to remap the controls on every new project unless you create a blank project with the mappings or add it to your standard templates. This is annoying and I'd love to see the Matrix view updated to allow saving/loading of MIDI maps. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to post a 64-bit Sonar project with my mapping template already established.

Overall the experience isn't nearly as elegant and pleasant as using the Launchpad with Live. However, it still works much as expected and gives a much more tactile approach to using Matrix view. Much fun with non-linear composition as a means of establishing the basic outline of a song. Woo hoo!

-kb
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1