OCTA-CAPTURE: Setting Up a Monitor Mix (Instructions)

Author
Jesse G
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4282
2015/05/21 15:34:34 (permalink)

OCTA-CAPTURE: Setting Up a Monitor Mix (Instructions)

Hello All,

I purchased a Roland Octa-Capture shortly after they hit the market for sale.  My Presonus Firepod was having problems working with Windows 7 Professional  using Fire-wire, so I decided to sell it to a current Windows XP user at that time who could benefit from it and I went in search of a new audio device. I came across the Octa-Capture being advertised in various audio magazines, and then saw it before its' release at an audio show.  The zero latency monitoring was incredible I thought, so I said I have to purchase one. 

Well, I've had this Octa-Capture for some time now and I still route my outputs and each singers head phone mixes through Sonar directly to the Octa-Capture outputs and then send everything to a 12 channel outboard mixer, Oh what a fool I've been.   I decided to perform a Google search on direct monitoring with the Octa-Capture on YouTube and found no such videos available. I then a Google search for "Understanding Octa-Capture's Direct MIX" and bingo!  I came across the easy to understand settings which would enable me to to set up the internal headphone and Monitor mix for the Octa-Capture.  Good bye forever outboard Mixer.

Below is the link to the Roland Support Knowledge Base where I found the instructions for setting up the internal  zero latency monitor Mixer.
http://www.roland.com/sup...owledge_base/201971499

OCTA-CAPTURE: Setting Up a Monitor Mix (Direct Mixer) Instructions:

The OCTA-CAPTURE offers four independent Direct Mixers for creating monitor mixes. Each mix can be routed to any of the analog outputs and can take advantage of the internal 40-bit DSP processing--this is perfect for sending custom monitor mixes to headphones, speakers, or recording devices. The following example will guide you through setting up a monitor mix to send out of outputs 3/4 of the OCTA-CAPTURE:
  1. Connect monitor speakers or a headphone amplifier to outputs 3/4 of the OCTA-CAPTURE.
  2. Turn up the volume on your monitor speakers or headphone amplifier to an appropriate level. Note: Be careful not to turn up the volume too much--as this may cause feedback, damage the speakers/headphones or possibly damage to your hearing.
  3. Press and hold the DISPLAY button for a few seconds.
  4. Use the CURSOR/VALUE knob to select "PATCHBAY" and then press the CURSOR/VALUE knob inward.
  5. Use the CURSOR/VALUE knob to select "OUTPUT 3/4" and then turn the CURSOR/VALUE knob to select "MIX A".
  6. Press the MIX button until the MIX A appears on the top left of the screen.
  7. Use the CURSOR/VALUE knob to select an input channel and then press the CURSOR/VALUE knob inward.
  8. Turn the CURSOR/VALUE knob to select a parameter (e.g. PAN, VOLUME, etc) and then press the CURSOR/VALUE knob inward.
  9. Use the CURSOR/VALUE knob to adjust the chosen parameter and then press the CURSOR/VALUE knob inward.
  10. Press the MIX SEL button to return to the mixer view.
  11. Repeat steps 5 through 7 for the remaining input channels to create a monitor mix for MIX A.

That's it!  Wow, Zero Latency and remember only Mix A can make use of the internal reverb for singers to listen to. however the reverb isn't recorded.

Peace,
Jesse G.

Peace,
Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
==============================
Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/

2 Replies Related Threads

optimus
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 316
    Re: OCTA-CAPTURE: Setting Up a Monitor Mix (Instructions) 2015/05/28 01:43:59 (permalink)
    Thanks Jesse. I too have an OctaCapture and have been struggling with the same thing.

Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Roland Octacapture, Windows 7, i5 processor, 8 Gb RAM, X_Touch
    joyof60
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 283
    Re: OCTA-CAPTURE: Setting Up a Monitor Mix (Instructions) 2015/06/04 18:39:53 (permalink)
    Thanks so much! I have been using my OC with factory settings due to my screwing something up and got no sound out until I initialized the device to factory defaults. Always looked like it could do so much more! I'll give it a shot! Thanks again!

Joyof60

Sonar Plat., Windows 10 Pro  (64bit), Custom Build,  AMD Rizen 5 @3.95GHz, Assorted HDDs, 32 Gb G.Skill RAM. Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Roland FA08, coupla guitars and misc. mics, cans,  and gadgetry.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1