OK, Dale: This Qui(sf)z Is For You

Author
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
2006/03/17 19:36:51 (permalink)

OK, Dale: This Qui(sf)z Is For You

What in the name of Sam Hill have these crazy mixed-up kids done to Rapture's .sfz files? If I've got to learn to hand-edit that, I'm out.

12 Replies Related Threads

lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: OK, Dale: This Qui(sf)z Is For You 2006/03/17 20:27:47 (permalink)
    I thought Rapture didn't come with a sample library? Well wave tables maybe.
    Paradroid
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: OK, Dale: This Qui(sf)z Is For You 2006/03/18 16:31:45 (permalink)
    I don't have that jibberish in front of me right now but I'm tipping that you're looking at an sfz with an embedded wave file.

You're using UltraEdit-32, right? Try appending a wave file at the right place (forget what the tag is, <sample> ??? data= ??? Like I say, I'm without my sfz-geek machine…) and see what happens.

Pretty cool for creating .sfz + .wav monoliths — much easier for sharing. Also, I think René wanted a way of defining an oversize wavetable without resorting to a seperate .sfz + .wav combo.

Also, I don't know whether I dreamed this or not: yEnc?
    b rock
    RE: OK, Dale: This Qui(sf)z Is For You 2006/03/19 14:10:55 (permalink)
    You're using UltraEdit-32, right?
    C'mon, man. Use Notepad like normal people do. Glad I could pry you way from that new SL for this
    And, really, thanks for the clarification. It sure looked like an embedded file.

Simple stuff in the opcodes, with a sample= in a <region> and the oscillator=on. Then a <sample> name= definition referring to sample itself.
    Then, the data= ... Oooooo!
    René
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: OK, Dale: This Qui(sf)z Is For You 2006/03/19 14:51:23 (permalink)
    In Rapture, we had many wavetables which needed to be longer than the standard wav size (3000 samples) to preserve all original harmonics. Then first we just created the .sfz/.wav combo.

But then, to simplify distribution, installation, version control and others, we implemented a way to -embed- binary data into a text file. This data is generated by a simple application, based on the original ogg/wav/aif file. It's based on yEnc, one of the most efficient encoding algorithms to do that.

Once the text is in, you can copy/paste it as any text. Having a fully definited multisample, including the samples in a text file is kinda cool

-René
    b rock
    RE: OK, Dale: This Qui(sf)z Is For You 2006/03/19 14:57:30 (permalink)
    It's based on yEnc ... including the samples in a text file is kinda cool
    KINDA? You mean 'way ...'
    René
    RE: OK, Dale: This Qui(sf)z Is For You 2006/03/19 15:32:20 (permalink)

// Squary.sfz Wavetable File

<region> sample=squary.ogg oscillator=on
    <sample> name=squary.ogg
    data=y‘‘}*,********9******V¯ì§+H+ ™œŒ“****+nÖ******º******ó+y‘‘}**********9**+***±=SêG9Î)))))))))))))_- ™œŒ“a***kyeJ‹™~Ÿ€JŒ^J…\ZZ
    _Z`[a‡JRŒ‹ŽJ™˜J‚“š’Xyœ‘QJ–“Œ€™œŒ“S2***0***~s~vog1***k|~s}~g0***kvlwg6***~|kmuxwlo|g5***~|kmu~y~kvg/***nk~og0***qox|og2***my
    wwox~g+/ ™œŒ“Ilm€+**+*>€SÃ|¼…´CÂ[‘Cþ„´O®>lRϝ€…ÕSßÄ„ôãïƝø¿Œ|SoÃ|z…´C|S0C}<…“K®>l1˝<…“×Ï„”càƝ׿|xSÎB}²tÂ|vSÎB}´tƝúcÆ
    }¶t2_¿„}ó[¯¾…uSžxl1Ó®ø|uÛžºt1Ožzd•c¿<}SǍ€l”ãÏF}ô×Н¶«úº**+*êj:DÜ4*z**:°ËR´,®°Ö,*\**.= R¸ R¼Lc¼c@:DÜ4**,*:**êš>s»>õûFwüV÷üf}À
    ƒÀƒÀƒÀ‡Ÿ‡J^Ž?**+*jR1CïB:®¾Ü<27ƒ/*J***¬Rí:-lm€+**+*2{HKËÍ¥;œHKG­¥KÞˆcËÎ¥ç!H¥ã!¥»‹ˆK˽¥;ŒFCïÃœ¥KÎÆ[Ç­¥ç!ȝc
    ¥ÇÍkÓþ¥¿½ˆ[Ç͈¥OÿHlÏÎ¥ç!¥ç!¥ç!È¥ç!¥×”ç!¥ç!¥ç!¥ç!¥ç!¥«úº**:**‹B`²›ñÎ!¥‹ÂQ°“Î!È¥Ò‘6¤4Û!È¥ç¥
    ç!¥J^Ž?**2**K®:|rK¯>|rK°BŒòK±F¬2TÓÎÌ´TÔÒÌ´TÔVͶ\ôR½¶\ôV͸dÒíøl4SÎüt5×Þ~…™WÿH®:l2K®:l2K®:è!H27ƒ/*ª**ZðB¶k2K®:lrSϾŒ´SÐÂ,lm€+*ª*
    *,***Vs½^qfñfñ}fqžnqžnq¾nsÞnwn{^oÞoþwþw‡ÿwß…à‡‡‡‡=‡Ÿ‡Ÿ‡Ÿ‡Ÿ‡á«úº**2**‹ºk0C®:lrK¯¾|´[ðBøcJ^Ž?**2*J***j›>q›Fó»Nó
    ÜV÷Vù<_}]_}_oŸwžŸwžwžŸ‡ŸŸ‡Ÿ‡^‡Ÿ‡ýŸ‡Ÿ‡Ÿ‡Ÿ‡A27ƒ/*r**b¸=#b¸=#b¸=#b¸N+ËKÕ**C**+*R´ b¸=#b¼NsÀσăÌP”ÌÒ´Ø,ËKÕ**
    j**+*****RÀÌSÄΓÄЃÄГÄГÄГÄГÄГÄГÄГÄГÄГÄГÄГÄГÄГÄГÄГÄГD:DÜ4*º**z›Fñ›Fñ»Fó»Fq,lm€+*\**,*z6q›Fq¼Vó¼^õÜ^wn{žwÿ^‡ý.lm€+
    *ª**,*****zVs½^wý^s½^s½^wý^qý^wý^wý^wý^wý^wý^wý^wý^wý^wý^wý^wýVõÜVõÜVJ^ŽO**.*ê„—ß=TJÎDË>ÍDUîFÎDe¾Ý\ƽTŒ¶‹Ä\;œD27ƒ;*n+**ð
    Jñ:òcQÓ½>cÒž~D2Gϸ|‘ÓÞÄŒöR¿Â|Ö·­¸|qW;”VS þ|¶Ïà,**,F**,V®lm€.*{**®[rSÎ>Œ¶cÑBn¶SñBž°[0G¸kÆ®|TžztîB¸cÒÆ­|\Q¿­ztQÇ**ª*1*ª*5Ëú
    º?+jÆ*ªk¼fy^{¾^y>o}ž‡{^fýv}gû~}~àfù^g}~ù^ÿ~_ oÿýŸ~ —‡ƒ@¨{~‡…a=‡ƒ=§À§‰fvýŸgýž‡ÿŸ—…Ÿ‡ ~} wÿŸ
    ýŸŸƒ‡ƒá_ýž‡ûž‡ ÁߟýŸ§…Ÿ‡‰"ƒ¯ƒÇ ž‡‡ƒ=·ÀŸ‡=—=Áfygýž‡ù^‡Ÿ‡€‡=_ý¾‡ýŸ—ƒ^‡€ƒÀŸù^‡ž‡ƒ`‡ÀÿŸ Ÿž
    ‡=€‡w—…á·‰À—a‡ Æ’ § —‰=Ÿ=#Ÿág§}À¯=ž‡‰á§C@°ûŸ§‰¿—‰‚!Ÿ‡cä˜FÍ4éTåìÙäÜXèx㟅cˆõà×FÝ5éØ5q!¿Ø—%ðÖõì[àšð—Fé
    =ShÿŸýŸ§=¾=ÁŸ…B˜‡B¸ûŸ§‡¿=‡ƒB˜…A°…!CÍ=:ìTõèÚÜ[èW6åZFñ•¦ƒ¿Ø֍5éü·Í•là¯Ü˜] =‘ðxB**Z= **:ŠlCR^Žo*:Q*Š»N{¾Võ>Oõ<wý^‡
    ^w¿^÷^_÷]wvÿ^`w¿Ww]w÷ý~}^ý^{€wÿ¾ý^—~…`wà‡=Ÿ¿^w`}Àw¿ —¿…À^÷^_ù}w÷v}ƒ`ÿŸ_ù}÷=Sw=Sowßÿ¿õv=S_n
    }ŸwÞÿ~`wàÿß‡=¿—awàwÿÞ‡ÿŸ¿ß—…Ow]w÷v}f}_ýŸwŸõ~ÿ=Soÿ^ûžŸÿž‡fn{_ûwÿŸw‡_ý ßý~…À‹¡ÿw}¿—ÿ
    Ÿ—~w…À—Aˆ…‡û^—~w`À ŸÀ—…~w…`wàßà—‡à—‡AwàwÿþŸ‡‡à‡À=‡—ŸŸ…==À‡? ‰!§¿‡¿À…AOä×=Sw}Àw¿}¿‡À—…A
    pý¾ÿŸ^Á—ƒá=§ý~…‡`‡ÿàƒàŸƒÁ§¿‡‡ ŸƒàŸ‡Ÿ‹ —ƒ¢‡=à§€§ §ËWÕèU**Šê+*Jê®\z’òt*J4**Z°[J^4cÆ®pSƽ¼c0K®~\J®z|F®||
    Æ­ztt˾~|”W¾||t×?**z= **:Š­Ðî *¯°Ö.*|+*6¸ƒÈ‘ÄÔÔ¸N£ÈRÔÔ=:èMƒÈQ´Ôäà×£ÈRÄÐôÜY–ÈQ´ÐäØÖÌ“ÄÐÔäØVèR´ÐÓÔÜUõìšÔÔäØVd=#~Ÿ…à—
    ‡À—àŸ‰"¿à—‡A°…§=A°ÉúâŸ!ðûq**¢¬-*z«7ÕMÆ>·/@DÜ<*ò**J¶kòJ®ºkrKκ|rSÏ.**6b**.Âz047ƒ;*î3**²ztSÏþ{tSϾ|tSϼ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSÏ~|t
    SϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|RϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tÓξ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ{tSϾ|
    tSϾ|tSϾttSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ
    |tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tS¿|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ|tSϾ,*ÎLF*ÎHvR-¯°Ö.*|+**¾|4dÆm¶[
    ƽxd²B¶cSÓÞ¾c1K¾¾|tSøk2Ͼ¾„F®¼|uWÏöc2Ïξ„uǾ||ÔÓß@mSÏÞ~}wWÀ¾|´Ó=BwSßþ„µßð|•×ïB•Ö_߀…¶Wð„•+*b78*Ê1`Ö¸š|^@‚’òt*J?**[pSðÆ­:d­
    º|øk1K®0KÐƝ8d>öc1K®:TðB8l2KŽøc1G®<lóƝ8l2K¾ük2K®:t3Ï­:l2K®zt2Ë®zlRϾ:l2K¾ztSK®<lS˾|l2O®ztSÏ>**‚= **:Ší2Qo«¯°Ö.*ª**JË°ºVªº
    º†B­~nξ8–ñƽ€n¾}xnqG²¥[p~.**J2*2Z+.024pK2:ð**.K\mN>ۑ,­\’šÂ1*9:;<+jŒ¬Ìÿ¯5úï*Xú¯åF:¬J2¬JVDª,Nê«=S= 3â„¢.aÅ¡,GosG.****ª,*¦**F
    >jnn?@ABCDEFGH+****= .*I**ñ1:;û†¯ï/p°ð0q±q*********:::*****2***::y‘‘}*.*J******9**,***%p÷ªJECPNRNNBQBMNRNKBMBMNRKJARBQORNOY®!ã{
    'M***ê˜/*ŸàÚÒ¥555e”5*¶!ãû=:q***ª0+*&ý[ÖÝød•0ú*¦¾9*:R :*ê(GÃw}Ž`w{]ÝÑRÃœuÃœuÅ“= 'Ñ06ž—éê1*+ÞK*= ß´Áä×KOb±nµÇ”Ÿ5·àD—_>}vž¦
    g*2>å3*ŠÛËÝødÖݯw¶ñ=#¢f˜ÄГÄÐËzRº;–n1*2>W+*Þ=>ŒöÐS\ÅP&yÏÐï;î>î>8–¦¦*ª*ä¥**7FÑnø›tŽ˜Á„I™·Öp…·àÄÞO¦!´{©Ä,***P*ª¹ƒ‘Ç
    Ÿ=6**¶•Øú¨IA*j*çbúm9õõQð=#¢fH¹ñš^wýÂГ,^´C2***Z[+ª‘MÇŸ=ƒ‘**R*Ž‰ Ú_,*:j…årÿÿ­~¹%E‚©‚£4Œ4Œ4Õû*®—‰= -ª*„+*ˆšÌg0¨b±¾=
    "TqöËzˆËæl¼*ž¦g*2Êå3*ŠÛËÝødÖݯw¶ñ=#¢f˜ÄГÄÐÃý>*¦—éí1*+žD*ÚùÏ·ÀDo`w»CÝÉI¡^p¼‡¼‡¼Õû@†‰ŠÕha**.ú(¶éîÖ× »”Ÿ%kk‰Ëæl£o:}*^´C
    2***Ú…+*Óød•=C6*ú+†‰x¢©HA**+þ=›æ˱Hôõõñ=# ’ÄГÄÐ;Г,^´C)2***Z[+ª‘MÇ_R^-0ê1*~™= -ª*„-*t×ñ¯“´öÐS”ÑRÃœuÃœuÃœuÙz*ž—éê1*+Þ3*
    “¿˜Õ º<ÆmÌïxßä¯p…·àD[ï>=SŽþ¤‰*2>7<*‚LQÖÝødÚÚ³¢fH¹ñwý^wý^>4/.+®—‰Š)ŽM**2ÊW!HÎä<®ÄÓ~…Fkvkvkæl£–‰ ’†ad+*.ú¥9—wŒÎDHé @î”Þÿ’Õs
    Üu^´C±Ð****å?*êÇÖ]Üød**¶•Øú1j***t¹–7Ÿ=ƒ‘55E¹ñ=#¢fH¹ñø ’ÄÐ[wý.¦!´{©Ä,***vÂ*êádÖÝø.**–¦§+:zvP*ÚÛïú>Ãw}Žàâ髱Ž[/»;„(Ôxï_
    8–n-ªjû¼*ê…£µH|¬r3¸IÙ²c>ôU¾R9 ­0*Žþ¤‰*2Ê7<*‚LQÖÝød–‹=S=#¢fH¹ÅГÄГ6ù :*®ì1*+Þ[+ª‰ùn•Bý>Ã[%#›qNOOãD—+¦¾Y*.´Ó.*Ð4
    S»Æ<c±rŸ%ÿ ­èl£¯p‰=ñõ2„Ùé]…J\*–¨ªUøcv*+**********ŠÉ-ÊG‘¸Þ@öçrc9Ë*$

// end of file

Copy/Paste into an empty text file for a bonus wavetable. It's the one I prepared for the LFO sample.

-René
    b rock
    RE: OK, Dale: This Qui(sf)z Is For You 2006/03/19 16:25:07 (permalink)
    Copy/Paste into an empty text file for a bonus wavetable.
    I don't want to seem unappreciative, Rene. This is Christmas in March. But I can't seem to get this to work. Call it a 'Rapture-n00B' mistake on my end. But if I'm having difficulty, then someone else might, too.

OK, here's what I did: Copy/Paste (Notepad), and saved as an .sfz file. For starters, I just stuck it on the outside of the Multisamples' numbered folders. Embedded with the samples, right? So it shouldn't matter where it is. No 'workie'. I got the error text message that 'XXX not found, or couldn't be loaded." OK, so I search, and sure enough (logically), there's a Squary.ogg file in the Sample Pool. I tried to open that in Sound Forge, but no dice.

OK: delete that. It'll be 'regenerated' later on, anyway. So, now I start different combinations of moving the .sfz around, and wrapping that up in its own subfolder with the generated .ogg file, and without, and all sorts of stuff. Same error message; different path each time (depending on where I moved it). Because of the 'LFO' reference, I was almost tempted to drop it in the LFOWaveforms folder, but ... that was crazy. [sm=rolleyes.gif]

So, listen: I must be doing something stupid (it's been a long couple days). No pressing need, but it bothers me that I can't get something so seemingly simple to work for me. I'll just move on to something else, and look at this again with fresh eyes. Thanks for the bonus.

OK ... pretty please?
    René
    RE: OK, Dale: This Qui(sf)z Is For You 2006/03/19 16:38:21 (permalink)
    Hmm. Please verify if you do have a 'Sample Pool' folder under your Rapture installation, right there with \Wavetables, \Resources, etc. Is it there? should be empty.

-René
    b rock
    RE: OK, Dale: This Qui(sf)z Is For You 2006/03/19 16:53:53 (permalink)
    Is it there? should be empty.
    Yes, and yes. It was empty when i first installed Rapture (you know that I have a tendency to check everything out ), and it remained empty. Up until the time that I started the Squary experiment. Then, it had squary.ogg in it. I just closed everything down, deleted all instances of squary.ogg, and started everything over from scratch. Same .sfz file (copied & pasted); same error message after running. And the squary.ogg file was regenerated in the Sample Pool folder.

It's me, isn't it? Go ahead; you can say it. The real problem lies between the chair and the Qwerty.
    Edit: I copied the entire text from comment to comment. Maybe I should leave those out, and go with the 'meat'.

Listen, Rene: You've got a very limited amount of time, and I don't want to hog that. I'll figure it out. There's a guy with OSX that can't get Dimension Pro started up at all. I can't help him with that. I'd rather not take away from something like that.
    post edited by b rock - 2006/03/19 17:08:53
    René
    RE: OK, Dale: This Qui(sf)z Is For You 2006/03/19 17:18:39 (permalink)
    Interesting. Possibly the browser eating stuff. Would you mind to try the direct version?

http://www.rgcstuff.com/External/squary.sfz

-René
    Paradroid
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: OK, Dale: This Qui(sf)z Is For You 2006/03/19 18:29:50 (permalink)
    C'mon, man. Use Notepad like normal people do.

Yeah, 'cause it's obvious that I got into this whole sfz scene just so I could sound/look/act/feel and generally be normal like everyone else.

…and then there's you weirdos…
    b rock
    RE: OK, Dale: This Qui(sf)z Is For You 2006/03/19 18:40:09 (permalink)
    Possibly the browser eating stuff.
    Dunno. I tried IE and Mozilla. All I can see that's different (before I went cross-eyed) is the lack of comments, the Entered blank line, and the spacing *appears* tighter in the direct version. But i don't know if that's the difference between two apostrophes, or quotes instead, or what. I stick by my original diagnosis: n00Bie error on my part. 'Course, that alone in punishment enough.

At any rate, it's up to me to take this deeper. What a potential! Oh, and yes, the direct version worked like a charm. Nice clean waveform that really serves well as a testing source for the detuning stuff, filters, etc. Thanks for the walk-through and solution, Rene.

<Now, what the hell did I do wrong the first time? This is going to drive me CRAZY ...>
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1