Helpful ReplyLockedOLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
FettsVett
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 83
2017/02/25 17:01:09 (permalink)

OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location

Hey guys. I search for Tip of the Week and all that comes up is the thread that starts with Tip #134. Anyone have the link to the old Tips of the Week? Thanks all, and thanks Craig.
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/02/25 17:09:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2017/02/25 17:11:14
They have been made into an eBook called "The Big Book of Sonar Tips" that's available for a small fee at the store.
FettsVett
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/02/25 17:11:41 (permalink)
so I have to pay for them now? That's so awesome.
Zargg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/02/25 17:31:55 (permalink)
Hi. They were free for approx 2 years before they were updated and released for sale.
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/02/25 17:42:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FCCfirstclass 2017/02/27 10:27:32
the book is a lot different than what was in the tips thread, plus there is a whole slew of new stuff in there as well.
Its not like the tips book is 30 bucks or anything, its not even 20 bucks... Its 14.99. And worth every penny.
https://shop.cakewalk.com/1244/catalog/product.188837/language.en/currency.USD/?id=QYCntqBc8d

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/02/25 17:45:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FCCfirstclass 2017/02/27 10:27:29
FettsVett
so I have to pay for them now? That's so awesome.

It IS actually. Very low cost for such a convenient collection of information. I refer to it often and keep it right on the desktop of my DAW. Indexed and Organised. Highly recommend. It's called the "Big Book of SONAR Tips" in the Cakewalk Store.

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
FettsVett
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/02/25 17:54:33 (permalink)
I bought it, but I would have appreciated it if Craig would have just left the thread up. I understand the price since it's rewritten but why delete the thread? 
RSMCGUITAR
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1318
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/02/25 18:00:27 (permalink)
To sell the book, obviously. (And fairly)
Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/02/25 18:04:37 (permalink)
As was stated previously, it existed for 2 years before it was pulled down to be compiled into book form. And Craig gave lots of notice before doing so. Inevitably if the old tips were left up there would (no doubt) be those who would choose to continue to use the free information instead of paying the low cost for the e-book. This would obviously detract from the remuneration recouped by Craig for his efforts in putting these tips together and sharing them with the community. And I believe the user contributed tips (those not provided by Craig himself) are not part of the book but remain in the thread. Very generous, IMO and appreciated. 

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/02/25 18:12:23 (permalink)
FettsVett
I bought it, but I would have appreciated it if Craig would have just left the thread up. I understand the price since it's rewritten but why delete the thread? 

The reason for deleting the old tips was so many of them either weren't relevant or needed updating. I didn't want to leave up inaccurate information. (FWIW I don't make anything from the book, all the proceeds go to Cakewalk.)

It's all explained in the first post of the thread, I've copied and pasted below.

Hey - where did the first batch of tips go?!?  Keep calm, and carry on reading...

The "Friday's Tip of the Week" was one of those things that was done on a whim, but took on a life of its own and after 120 tips (far more than the 31 that were planned originally), it started to get unwieldy. It was unorganized, most of the tips needed revising, some were obsolete, screen shots showed a GUI that was no longer in common use, and there were some typos and other issues.

It was time for a clean slate, so in early November I updated the tips, folded in more tips, fixed the typoze, expanded on some of the explanations, added a table of contents, and all that other good book-like stuff. Then I gave advance notice I'd delete all the old tips in this thread, and start over again with a new series of tips....so here we are with a sequel, as well as a full-blown book.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
bokchoyboy
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 238
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/02/26 00:02:18 (permalink)
FettsVett

If he left the thread up, then why put it in a pdf form?  I was initially bummed that it wasn't available via thread form too, but now realize the reasoning...
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/02/26 05:57:21 (permalink)
bokchoyboy
FettsVett

If he left the thread up, then why put it in a pdf form?  I was initially bummed that it wasn't available via thread form too, but now realize the reasoning...

I realize the reasoning of why the thread was culled yet I'm not 100% cool with the end result .
FWIW, I did buy the PDF and I thought it was decent enough as a quick SONAR resource to access .
That part I'm OK with ....
The part I'm not OK with and to put it mildly the part that I'm pissed about is this ...
I felt a lot of useful information was being given and shared to the tips thread VIA some of the membership here that participated in the threads open ended style of dialog ...
I valued a few of the members contributions every bit as much as I valued what the OP was putting out there ...
In very plain English , some people shared their own highly individualized intellectual property on how to unlock much of SONAR's hidden potential in the thread 
In some of the tips topics ..not all ,  just a few .... the sharing of that information went way deeper than where the OP's weekly tips themselves were going . Now there is no written record of that to be found anyplace ...

How convenient

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Anderton
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/02/26 11:29:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby melmyers 2017/08/09 07:28:10
kennywtelejazz

I realize the reasoning of why the thread was culled yet I'm not 100% cool with the end result .
FWIW, I did buy the PDF and I thought it was decent enough as a quick SONAR resource to access .
The part I'm not OK with and to put it mildly the part that I'm pissed about is this ...
I felt a lot of useful information was being given and shared to the tips thread VIA some of the membership here that participated in the threads open ended style of dialog ...
I valued a few of the members contributions every bit as much as I valued what the OP was putting out there ...
In very plain English , some people shared their own highly individualized intellectual property on how to unlock much of SONAR's hidden potential in the thread 

Well, consider a few things.

• I was often asked to prune the number of comments while the thread was going because not all of them were relevant. So long before the book appeared, many of the comments had already been edited out if they didn't relate specifically to the tip.  
  • I was very careful to include relevant community comments at the end of the appropriate tip. There's attribution to the person who made the comment, and these sections have the font color in green so they're easy to find.
  • Consider all the people who've printed it out...if the whole thread had been intact, many printer cartridges would have met a sad and premature death. There was about a 10:1 ratio of posts to tips, which is carrying through to the new thread (so far 13 tips, but well over 130 posts).
  • The new tips in the new thread start at post #19. The tips before then were presented by the community in the old thread; I felt they needed to be preserved.
  • It would have been hell on organization and creating a table of contents.
  • Several of the comments would have made no sense because what people were commenting on would have been changed, removed, or no longer relevant.

Now there is no written record of that to be found anyplace ...

My objective was to produce a book - properly indexed, updated, correct screen shots, etc. I gave plenty of warning that the thread was going to re-boot, and I believe several people copied the whole thing. If someone wanted to share that, you could edit it to contain the sections you think are important to preserve, and make it available as a companion to the book. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/02/27 01:33:11 (permalink)
Anderton
kennywtelejazz

Well, consider a few things.

• I was often asked to prune the number of comments while the thread was going because not all of them were relevant. So long before the book appeared, many of the comments had already been edited out if they didn't relate specifically to the tip.  
  • I was very careful to include relevant community comments at the end of the appropriate tip. There's attribution to the person who made the comment, and these sections have the font color in green so they're easy to find.
  • Consider all the people who've printed it out...if the whole thread had been intact, many printer cartridges would have met a sad and premature death. There was about a 10:1 ratio of posts to tips, which is carrying through to the new thread (so far 13 tips, but well over 130 posts).
  • The new tips in the new thread start at post #19. The tips before then were presented by the community in the old thread; I felt they needed to be preserved.
  • It would have been hell on organization and creating a table of contents.
  • Several of the comments would have made no sense because what people were commenting on would have been changed, removed, or no longer relevant.

Now there is no written record of that to be found anyplace ...

My objective was to produce a book - properly indexed, updated, correct screen shots, etc. I gave plenty of warning that the thread was going to re-boot, and I believe several people copied the whole thing. If someone wanted to share that, you could edit it to contain the sections you think are important to preserve, and make it available as a companion to the book. 

I am not the least bit surprised at this type of response...
It doesn't change a thing for me other than I can choose not to peruse it  any further
After watching how you work the room for a while , I feel you are about a slippery as they come . 
That's one area of the music bizz where you have Super Chops...

I will chalk this experience up as my new weekly lesson ...

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

FettsVett
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/09 00:30:39 (permalink)
kenny, thanks. In these threads, it's pretty much a wade through the crap until you find your answer...and the USERS who have been here for 10+ years deserve the credit just as much as Craig does. In that spirit of wading through the crap, Craig should have just left this thread up and let us do just that. Why am I paying extra for what should be in an updated Sonar Platinum manual? Wading through the crap is what all user forums are about. Just leave it up. I, for one, felt resentment about paying for it, and it didn't solve most of my problems. Cakewalk needs to update their manuals and be more helpful in the documentation as the software develops.
FettsVett
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/09 02:26:35 (permalink)
To add to that, Craig...most users aren't here for tips. They are here to solve problems and get the program to do what it is supposed to do. Who the hell prints out an entire thread? I also want to add, your users are providing tech support because Cakewalk can't. Let that sink in. Those people-in this forum- imho, should be compensated. As a contrast, I posted a problem about FM8 in Sonar on the Native Instruments forum and within one day, an official NI representative commented. By then I was too fed up with Sonar and have decided to give Ableton a go on my laptop running NI stuff because your program can't utilize all of NI's functions in a seamless manner without workarounds.
post edited by FettsVett - 2017/08/09 04:37:06
FettsVett
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/09 04:05:28 (permalink)
I want to add this: I don't care about my subscription updates anymore. You guys need to fix the things that users are asking you to fix instead of adding new features. Fix what you have, then move on. This lifetime update thing doesn't mean anything if you can't fix what is broken right now. Catch up on what is broken for a lot of your users, then move on. And there's a lot of excuse about new users asking basic questions about installation-and that's why support is non-existent. I never once had to ask for help to install Sonar or any other DAW. I only ask for help when there is something not in the manual. Tech support needs to pay attention to its core users and not the new guys coming in from Mac and Steam. Sorry, but those guys that are just coming in, aren't as loyal as those that have been with you since 8.5 or longer. You need to provide support to your primary base first.
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/09 05:39:46 (permalink)
The software forums Sonar Resources and Utilities thread has been active for about 3 years now. If people have a tip they have every chance to add it there.

Now there's a thread for submissions in the same forum. Go check it out.

I've deleted the rest of my comments They would only serve to inflame.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
FettsVett
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/09 05:48:20 (permalink)
Thanks for the link. Oh, I forgot...there is none. So I just have to Google everything you just said. Again, thanks.
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/09 05:50:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FettsVett 2017/08/09 05:59:12

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

mudgel
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/09 05:51:40 (permalink)
I copied the thread. It was an option anyone could take. I do that with many threads that interest me.

BUT have also bought the book. Nicely indexed, updated and I dont have to wade through a thousand posts saying thank you or variations thereof and general but not informational posts.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

RSMCGUITAR
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1318
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/09 05:52:43 (permalink)
So you're complaining... And that's about all I can gather wading through your comments
FettsVett
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/09 05:58:09 (permalink)
Thanks Matron. I appreciate the convenience.
mudgel
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/09 06:03:59 (permalink)
FettsVett
Thanks for the link. Oh, I forgot...there is none. So I just have to Google everything you just said. Again, thanks.

Don't know if you're talking to me. But if you are, why would I have a need to link to a forum. There's links all over the place to the Software forum. You don't have to google. At the top of the thread page is a home link which shows you all the forums. Please change your tone it's unacceptable on the forum.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

FettsVett
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/09 06:05:00 (permalink)
This what users need to read before posting but it's not stickied, so yeah...I'm not feeling like I should regret what I'm saying. The forum needs as much work as the software.
FettsVett
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/09 06:08:42 (permalink)
@mudgel, I'm sorry, I don't see the obvious links you are talking about. Can you post a screenshot? Also, I'm not changing my tone. Ban me if you want. You will only hurt Sonar's reputation.

Anderton
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/09 06:34:30 (permalink)
FettsVett
kenny, thanks. In these threads, it's pretty much a wade through the crap until you find your answer...and the USERS who have been here for 10+ years deserve the credit just as much as Craig does.

You're a little late to the party. I have thanked the community many, many times in many ways for their contributions toward helping people make better music with SONAR. I also have said many times my contributions are payback for what I've learned from this forum. 

In that spirit of wading through the crap, Craig should have just left this thread up and let us do just that.

As has been pointed out, there were substantial revisions and additional material. Many of the older tips contained misleading information due to their age (the thread started three years ago). There were also typos, and sections that weren't clear and needed elaboration. It needed a complete re-do. 

I've written over 25 books. I can write a book for two years, then release it for sale. But in this case, I released it a piece at a time, for free, to the people that make up this forum. When I had enough material, it was made into a proper book and donated to Cakewalk for sale. I make nothing from it.

FWIW you can cite nothing in post #13 that is incorrect.

Why am I paying extra for what should be in an updated Sonar Platinum manual?

Because it's not a Cakewalk product. I wrote five books on SONAR before it was acquired by Gibson. I am not a Cakewalk employee although I am certainly an advocate for the company to the users, as well as an advocate for the users to the company.

Besides, a manual describes what the program does. My tips involve applications. The owner's manual for a car tells you how to maintain the car, it doesn't teach you how to drive.

I, for one, felt resentment about paying for it

You had ample time to copy the information. If copying the information was too challenging, imagine what it takes to copy it, re-format it, add new illustrations, re-do screenshots made obsolete by UI changes, index it, delete outdated text, add new material, come up with a cover, do the layout, add in pertinent comments made by the community (with attribution), verify that every tip works by trying it again in SONAR prior to publication, and proof it. I think most people would agree that the amount of work involved has value. 

Cakewalk needs to update their manuals and be more helpful in the documentation as the software develops.

There's a FREE monthly magazine that goes through all the new features.
There's a FREE knowledgebase that's updated with every release.
There's a FREE menu item in SONAR's help that leads you to descriptions of the new features.
There's a FREE forum where people who place value on being constructive and courteous help others solve problems.
There's a FREE Friday's Tip of the Week thread that provides more information on how to apply the software.

So far I've given away 157 tips, 30 Sonitus Modulator presets, 30 ProChannel presets, a Rapture Session expansion pack with 30 presets, a free pack of AdrenaLinn Guitars loops, and next month, there will be 30 second-generation CA-X amps based on TH3 as opposed to the earlier TH2-based ones (and each one has to be done by scratch, the TH2 settings don't translate over to TH3).

You're welcome to contribute something as well.

Anderton
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/09 06:42:33 (permalink)
FettsVett
@mudgel, I'm sorry, I don't see the obvious links you are talking about. Can you post a screenshot? Also, I'm not changing my tone. Ban me if you want. You will only hurt Sonar's reputation.

Yawn, another internet tough guy hiding behind an anonymous name. Nothing to see here.

mudgel
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/09 06:52:48 (permalink)
Sadly too many people don't value something free. It's a privilege to be a member of this community not a right and with a simple decision Cakewalk could decide that the vexation is not worth the trouble and just close the forum or make membership conditional.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

mudgel
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/09 07:05:54 (permalink)
FettsVett
@mudgel, I'm sorry, I don't see the obvious links you are talking about. Can you post a screenshot? Also, I'm not changing my tone. Ban me if you want. You will only hurt Sonar's reputation.

I'm just another member of this forum. I have no rights to ban or recommend someone be banned. If i have any 'right ' it's purely that I spend my free time with Elffin (another member) curating the sticky threads on the Software forum just so everyone can share the incredible resources that have been created by our own members and freely shared. Sadly it's folks like you who give this forum a bad name. I'm here to share and learn you seem to want to tear that down and complain about the very people you ask to help you.
Can't post a screenshot, I'm on my mobile, but surely you can go to the top of this screen/page and read the menus that read Cakewalk, Forums, Posts, PM, Page Extras. select Forum or Home which appears under Cakewalk. either will provide you with a list of all the forums available. I'm done with this thread now.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1