OT: Allowing Administrative Access to a Remote Computer (Windows XP Pro SP3)

Author
BleedingEdge
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 76
2008/12/24 18:23:26 (permalink)

OT: Allowing Administrative Access to a Remote Computer (Windows XP Pro SP3)

Hi everyone,

Can someone please explain how to allow administrative access to a remote computer with XP Pro SP3. I am not on a domain, only a workgroup...

I need to be able to log on from my "server" (called SERVER) to my workstation (called, er, WORKSTATION) as an administrator. I'm trying to use Acronis True Image Agent on the workstation machine to back it up onto the "server".

Many thanks!

11 Replies Related Threads

jerrypettit
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    RE: OT: Allowing Administrative Access to a Remote Computer (Windows XP Pro SP3) 2008/12/24 18:49:37 (permalink)
    BleedingEdge
    RE: OT: Allowing Administrative Access to a Remote Computer (Windows XP Pro SP3) 2008/12/24 18:52:25 (permalink)
    Thank you!

I did try that, but as far as I can tell, it's all about remote desktop access....
    jerrypettit
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    RE: OT: Allowing Administrative Access to a Remote Computer (Windows XP Pro SP3) 2008/12/24 18:55:54 (permalink)
    Ok--sorry about being wise@$$ about it!

Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: OT: Allowing Administrative Access to a Remote Computer (Windows XP Pro SP3) 2008/12/24 19:41:12 (permalink)
    First of all, what computer are you trieing to access? Your own from a remote location? Your own from an administrator account? DAW's have many issues with internet connections. Remote assistance NEEDS TO BE DEFINED! Remote assistance from where? What is the location of your server? What is the location of your work station? Are you on a closed or internet network? Are you trying to make multiple computers work through a server as a DAW? More specs please?

Craig DuBuc
    BleedingEdge
    RE: OT: Allowing Administrative Access to a Remote Computer (Windows XP Pro SP3) 2008/12/24 19:59:35 (permalink)
    Hi Craig,

Thanks for the reply. There is no internet involved.... The computers are sitting next to each other and networked with a gigabit switch on a closed network. I mean "remote" in the sense that I want to be able to log on to the Workstation from the Server to perform a backup of the Workstation system drive onto the Server using Acronis TrueImage Management Console (on the Server) and TrueImage Agent (on the Workstation).

No internet connection, and all firewalls are off. There is also no antivirus/antispyware installed. It's a completely secure closed net.

The network is performing perfectly, so it's not a network issue. I need to be able to log on to the Workstation using my Server Windows user account.

Cheers!
    post edited by BleedingEdge - 2008/12/24 20:05:38
    BleedingEdge
    RE: OT: Allowing Administrative Access to a Remote Computer (Windows XP Pro SP3) 2008/12/24 20:02:31 (permalink)
    In fact, thinking a bit more about it, I would like to add a user to the Server called "Acronis Admin" (or somesuch) as an Administrator and then use that to connect to the Workstation.
    Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: OT: Allowing Administrative Access to a Remote Computer (Windows XP Pro SP3) 2008/12/24 20:23:22 (permalink)
    I'm no expert in that area, or any other, but you have to find out what "address"-name acronys on your server wants and what to call your workstation for acronys. If you are using the windows workgroup feature, it will want what windows wants. I would contact Acronys to help you find the exact code or wording. Are you doing this through Acronis or windows?
    Adding a "user" account will not give you an "administrator" level of authrity. ??? Do you want the work station to be the administrator of the server?
    You need I think to think of this setup as.. excuse the term... slaving one computer to the other which leads to some more issues. What's thwe server doing and what's the work stationn doing. ??? Hopefully some more expert users will clarify the situation for you if you provide some info on what you are trieing to do.
    post edited by Crg - 2008/12/24 20:26:50

Craig DuBuc
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    RE: OT: Allowing Administrative Access to a Remote Computer (Windows XP Pro SP3) 2008/12/24 21:14:31 (permalink)
    If you can log on to any account on the computer remotely, all you need to do is set up an account on the remote computer that has administrator priviledges, then log onto that account.
    post edited by slartabartfast - 2008/12/24 21:20:50
    Blades
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3246
    RE: OT: Allowing Administrative Access to a Remote Computer (Windows XP Pro SP3) 2008/12/24 22:29:51 (permalink)
    If you create an account on the workstation called "backupadmin" or whatever, make it an administrator, set a password, you should be able to connect to that machine (and it's shares or even the \\machinename\c$ hidden administrative share of the whole workstation c: drive).

If you are aksed for credentials, use machinename\backupadmin and the password set above. Give that a shot and see if you can't select and backup files from the server side. If not, you could get the robocopy utility (free from Microsoft) and run a nightly task that does a copy of files over to the server as a scheduled task and then the server can do whatever else with that data as a local copy getting backed up to some other place, like external USB HD or whatever.

Does that help?

Blades
    www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
    BleedingEdge
    RE: OT: Allowing Administrative Access to a Remote Computer (Windows XP Pro SP3) 2008/12/25 05:21:14 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies guys! I'll give those ideas a go now and let you know.

Merry one and all that!

M
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    RE: OT: Allowing Administrative Access to a Remote Computer (Windows XP Pro SP3) 2008/12/25 11:23:46 (permalink)
    I'm a bit confused on what you are trying to do. Are you wishing to control "Workstation" from "Server" or are you trying to access files on "Workstation" from "Server"? There's a big difference.

To control one from the other you'll need to install a VNC server on the machine you wish to control and then install a VNC Client/viewer on the machine you wish to control from. There's plenty of good free software out to do that, and it's all relatively simple to set up although you may have to configure your firewall, my commiserations if you've got Norton installed.

If you are trying to access files on one machine from another then you need to set the correct permissions to allow that to happen. Most permissions for simple networking can be set via the "Sharing" tab on the properties pages (I'm working from memory so it may be slightly different). Again you may have to do a little firewall configuring. The best way to set up such networking is get it working with the firewall off and then turn the firewall back on and configure it as required. If I had a £ for every hour I've wasted trying to configure networks only to discover a firewall on the network is on somewhere and causing all the problems, I could quite comfortably retire. If you want to get a bit more complicated then you need to set some of the more advanced permissions available via XP Pro. In fact those permission setting options are the main difference between Pro and Home. More info please.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1