OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/01 17:16:13 (permalink)
The "Love" thing looks and sounds pretty cool. Here's a link with videos, etc:

http://www.thebeatles.com/hub/love/site/

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

mumpcake
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/01 18:21:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bluealien

Well the show LOVE here in Vegas is really cool... if you get a chance to visit Vegas; it’s a show I would recommend

That's good to know. I've been curious about that since it was announced.
Platano
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 443
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/01 20:30:06 (permalink)
Aaahhh... Many have caused a major shift in how a particular instrument is played or sounds, but I'm hard pressed to think of anyone other than the Beatles who have caused major shifts in "music" in my lifetime... Joe
j boy
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2729
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/01 21:33:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Hexdigit62

The funny thing about Let it Be 'Naked' is that in the absence of the Phil Specter influence the absence of George Martin really stands out.

George Martin also produced the original singles, which were issued before the album came out:

Get Back/Don't Let Me Down
For You Blue/Long and Winding Road
Let it Be/You Know My Name (Look Up My Number)

The B-side to 'Let it Be' was of course an older track from the White Album period IIRC, and not recorded at the 'Get Back' sessions.
NYSR
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1550
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/01 21:54:57 (permalink)
If it has the word "Beatles" in it and its legit, I'll buy it!

Cakewalk customer since Apprentice version 1, PreSonus 16.4.2 ai, 3.5 gHz i7

Genghis
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 827
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/01 23:39:06 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: John

Can you amagine the 60's without the Beatles. WE'd still be listening to...oh God the thought is scary

Jimmy Hendrix maybe

Best
John

Interesting... The Beatles were the main reason I became interested in music as a kid (which was actually after they broke up anyway.) Then when I started to really get into learning to play guitar in high school Hendrix became a HUGE influence on me. I have a deep appreciation for both and I can't imagine what my musical style (and taste) would be like without either of them!

They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. 
My Music is Here
Studio Cat DAW
Susan G
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12016
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/02 00:11:45 (permalink)
Hi All-

I haven't heard the "Love" CD, but I can't resist a Beatles thread!

What a thrill it was waking up to Scott Muni or Cousin Brucie (ancient NY disc jockeys, for those who don't recognize the names) announcing on AM that they were about to introduce a new Beatles single. (Yes, I'm that old!) A new Beatles album release... what can I say? ...

I was at their Shea Stadium concert in 1965 (and I still have some very grainy blow-ups my Dad took to prove it!). It was a surreal experience -- no one could really hear them over the screaming, I'm sure, yet somehow everyone there would swear they heard every word & note.

I think it was one of those relatively rare times when a "popular phenomenon" came together with really good stuff ("stuff" in this case meaning excellent songwriting, production, performance -- the whole package). It didn't hurt that they were individually very attractive guys/personalities, and they were all exceptionally talented. Some people kind of dismiss Ringo, for example, but he was one heckuva drummer! Paul is now thought of more as a songwriter or singer, but listen to his bass lines with the Beatles! They're extremely melodic and innovative for their time.

I could go on... Anyway, I think the Beatles did change popular music forever, no question. They certainly influenced me tremendously.

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
Dave King
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/02 00:29:31 (permalink)
Hey Susan,

I bet you remember Alison Steele - The "Nightbird" too!

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Susan G
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/02 00:47:09 (permalink)
Hi Dave-
ORIGINAL: Dave King

Hey Susan,

I honestly don't -- Hers wasn't even a familiar name to me, but I just read a bit about her on Wikipedia. I missed her entirely -- past my bedtime in those days, I guess!

But thanks; you've piqued my curiosity!

-Susan

Sbax
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 220
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/02 09:18:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dave King

Hey Susan,

New York's WNEW-FM was very good in the 70's.

Sonar 6 PE
RME Fireface 800
Athlon 64 3000
Asus K8V SE Deluxe
deleter47
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 379
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/02 10:58:17 (permalink)
When I was young I would listen to I Wanna Hold Your Hand on AM radio when it FIRST came out. I saw crazed young girls almost wear out those small 45 records on little record players with like a 4" speaker.
I think I've owned most of the Beatle's RECORDS at one time or another. My two favs The Long and Winding Road, and While my Guitar Gently Weeps. The first time I heard Let it Be was from a 45 record, after playing it about three times I was moved to tears. (Side note:My dad worked for radio stations and received a lot of free promo records for radio play, that day I got Let It Be, and a couple of songs from this young new band from TEXAS ZZ-Top. The two songs from Billy and company were Shaken Your Tree, and Goin Down to Mexico on a 45. Man I wish I still had that what a collectors item.) Anyway enough rambling...My main point is George Martin did his thing, and did it well, but what about now.....its our chance now....who's to say the next George Martin isn't reading this forum right now...maybe its you!

Now get out there and do it!

" For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Dave King
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/02 11:01:39 (permalink)
New York's WNEW-FM was very good in the 70's.

Absolutely! It's what I grew up on!

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

markmann
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 253
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/02 14:39:39 (permalink)
Aaahhh... Many have caused a major shift in how a particular instrument is played or sounds, but I'm hard pressed to think of anyone other than the Beatles who have caused major shifts in "music" in my lifetime... Joe

Well here's two who had at least as much impact on music: Jimi Hendrix and Miles Davis

Davis reinvented jazz several times and then created the precursors for techno with his 70s stuff. Hendrix STILL sounds like he's from Mars even in 2006. In fact, he still sounds "modern" in a way. If you can throw something 40 years into the future and still sound "out there" I think you've changed music.

Sonar 6.2, Athlon 4400x2, 4 UAD cards, Benchmark D/A, MOTU Traveler, Apogee Mini-me clock, Kontackt, MMV, ColorTone, HydraTone, Amplitube 2, Digital Performer, G5
pantherhawk27263
  • Total Posts : 258
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/02 15:08:14 (permalink)
I have to agree with Markmann. I am of the opinion that there will never be anyone who will command the music world the way The Beatles did, but there has never been anyone who has influenced the world of guitar, or has even come close to playing the guitar and being such an innovator, like Jimi Hendrix. Just like The Beatles, he was a one-of -a kind.

"Information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom, wisdom is not truth, truth is not beauty, beauty is not love, love is not music. Music is the BEST!"
Frank Zappa - "Packard Goose" from "Joe's Garage"
Dave King
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/02 15:11:29 (permalink)
I have to agree with Markmann. I am of the opinion that there will never be anyone who will command the music world the way The Beatles did

I was never a big fan of his, but what about Elvis? He brought Rock n Roll into the mainstream.

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

sandman5000
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 882
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/02 15:25:46 (permalink)
I think the Beatles get more credit than they deserve. Not that their music isn't awesome, I love it. But I think they seemed to copy the style around them (with their own spectacularly musically superior spin, of course) more so than originate it. I see it happen all the time. Like Trent Reznor didn't invent his style either, but a lot of people give him credit for inventing this entire style. I also have seen a lot of old school dj's claim they invented 'house' or whatnot, but clearly they didn't . I don't think anyone really invents a style. It sort happens collectively with different artists putting their own spin on what they are influenced by. What happens is that people start reading about how so and so invented a style and people start to agree (even the artists themselves that know better).

Still, I really want to check out this new album. I heard a bit on tv, and it sounded awesome.

edit-I forgot to add. One thing I can't stand about the Beatles sometimes are their lyrics. I mean come on. Some of them are just crap. Especially goofy Paul (IMHO, of course).
post edited by sandman5000 - 2006/12/02 15:49:29
KenB123
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1229
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/02 15:45:42 (permalink)
I have a DVD-Audio surround setup. At Circuit City they sell the CD audio version alone (about $14.00) and they have the dual format version CD and DVD-Audio (about $21.00. The DVD-A is terrific. Couldn't be happier hearing the Beatles in high-fidelity surround. The arrangements are interesting to say the least. (Couldn't help though having visions of Cirque-du-Soleil performers boomeranging around a stage to the beat of the songs.) The DVD-A is really well mixed.

In the liner notes, Giles Martin states: "All the music was so well recorded by the EMI engineers that the attitude and the passion were frozen in time. Had the music not been so familiar, the tapes sounded like they had been recorded yesterday". Says a lot for everyone involved back then.

Oh yea, there is a DVD-Audio of Elvis songs also, which also kicks it up a notch in audio quality. I like DVD-A.
Susan G
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/02 15:46:01 (permalink)
Hi Dave-

I was never a big fan of his, but what about Elvis? He brought Rock n Roll into the mainstream.

No doubt, but that was the next obvious step, IMO -- a breakout R&R performer. He never wrote any of his recorded songs, though, and I think that's what makes the Beatles stand out all the more. Totally original stuff.

EDIT: For example, who would have expected a song like "Norwegian Wood" to be a big hit before the Beatles came along?

-Susan
post edited by Susan G - 2006/12/02 16:06:38

Dave King
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/02 17:24:39 (permalink)
EDIT: For example, who would have expected a song like "Norwegian Wood" to be a big hit before the Beatles came along?

I don't mean to be contrary, but I don't believe "Norwegian Wood" was really much of a hit song itself. I know a lot of people covered it over the years and it's familiar universally. But as a single, I don't think it did much on the charts.

BTW, I'm a HUGE Beatles fan.

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

whitefalcon
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1161
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/02 18:19:28 (permalink)
There were some intersting ideas on this CD.
Not new ideas but interesting, backwards harmony. It was mixed as if it were all one song going from one track into the next.
It almost is like a new Beatles CD release.
Some of it was distracting as it was so counter in melody to the melody playing that it did not seem to go with it.
I have to wonder what Paul Mcartney would think of it. Would he like it?
Paul, if your reading this, why not show them how its done and redo one yourself the way you did your latest release. Ad some minor changes to it so its got bit of a kick to it. Like you did on that new Backyard CD.
Like on Hes a real nowwhere man instead of ending on a major not end it on a minor note and extende it out. I would like to see some of that.
markmann
  • Total Posts : 253
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/02 18:31:39 (permalink)
Some of it was distracting as it was so counter in melody to the melody playing that it did not seem to go with it.

Paul was at the premier show in Las Vegas. He liked it. Apparently he told George Martin that he thought it could have been weirder. Don't forget that these guys were on the edge creatively when they were doing it. And I think they can appreciate edgy modern stuff that's good. Another interesting fact I read somewhere is that this project was apparently a George Harrison's death wish: that the Beatles release one more creative project. Also, I think Paul, Ringo, Olivia, and Yoko were getting copies as the work progressed. I don't know how involved they were but I think they probably had veto power.

Sonar 6.2, Athlon 4400x2, 4 UAD cards, Benchmark D/A, MOTU Traveler, Apogee Mini-me clock, Kontackt, MMV, ColorTone, HydraTone, Amplitube 2, Digital Performer, G5
pantherhawk27263
  • Total Posts : 258
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/02 18:35:08 (permalink)
Actually, this project was approved by the surviving Beatles and Yoko. They had veto power on it, such as Paul vetoing a reggae remix of "Hey Jude." I think that was a nice touch, as opposed to merely saying "Well, I think it would have been better if "I Want You/She's So Heavy" had a rap groove behind it, so that's what I'm going to do."
Also, Sandman is right, Elvis had a major impact on music (including The Beatles) and paved the way for The Beatles to be as big as they were, but as Susan pointed out, he was more of a performer than musician. Their compositions helped change the world of music.
post edited by pantherhawk27263 - 2006/12/02 18:53:22

"Information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom, wisdom is not truth, truth is not beauty, beauty is not love, love is not music. Music is the BEST!"
Frank Zappa - "Packard Goose" from "Joe's Garage"
Dave King
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/02 18:43:25 (permalink)

Paul (and George Martin, Yoko and Olivia Harrison) comment here:

http://www.thebeatles.com/hub/love/site/

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Susan G
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/02 19:27:58 (permalink)
Hi Dave-
I don't mean to be contrary, but I don't believe "Norwegian Wood" was really much of a hit song itself. I know a lot of people covered it over the years and it's familiar universally. But as a single, I don't think it did much on the charts.

You're right -- I should have picked a better example, maybe "Yesterday". I doubt anyone wants to hear that song ever again at this point, but it was a big hit at the time IIRC, and clearly outside the mold of pop music back then.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make was that they demonstrated that "popular" music could go in just about any direction, and that "popular" isn't necessarily synonymous with "mediocre" or "mindless"! OTOH, we might have drifted back in that direction a bit...

Thanks-

-Susan

DonM
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4129
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/02 20:17:13 (permalink)
IMHO 'Luv' (as I am calling it) will be a grammy nominee for mix engineering. I think it's well deserved.

lawbass
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/02 22:57:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Susan G

Paul is now thought of more as a songwriter or singer, but listen to his bass lines with the Beatles! They're extremely melodic and innovative for their time.
-Susan

Susan, as a bass player who also remembers when, I have to amplify on that, take out the qualifier "for their time". I challenge anyone to find another bass player who plays as inventively, yet melodically, today and who also sings as much as Paul. He truly took bass playing out of the root/5th, and made it a melodic instrument. Folks today owe a huge debt to him.

I think this CD is definitely on my stocking list for this Christmas!

Jon
CAW
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 337
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/03 00:38:21 (permalink)
I got my hands on the 4 track Sgt Pepper digitized audio the other day thanks to a wonderful internet aquaintence. It's really a blast to solo the tracks and listen to a little separation of George Martin's work. Very cool.

Great things happen in a vacuum.

http://www.coronaampworks.com
Dave King
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/03 00:52:41 (permalink)
Anyway, the point I was trying to make was that they demonstrated that "popular" music could go in just about any direction, and that "popular" isn't necessarily synonymous with "mediocre" or "mindless"!

True. And The Beatles got THAT idea from Dylan!

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

CAW
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 337
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/03 00:54:50 (permalink)
I thought what they got from Dylan was pot

Great things happen in a vacuum.

http://www.coronaampworks.com
Dave King
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/03 00:56:39 (permalink)
I got my hands on the 4 track Sgt Pepper digitized audio the other day thanks to a wonderful internet aquaintence. It's really a blast to solo the tracks and listen to a little separation of George Martin's work. Very cool.

Wow! Sounds awesome!!! Care to share...?

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1