OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
sandman5000
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 882
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/05 01:20:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Susan G

Hi All-

I was at their Shea Stadium concert in 1965 (and I still have some very grainy blow-ups my Dad took to prove it!). It was a surreal experience -- no one could really hear them over the screaming, I'm sure, yet somehow everyone there would swear they heard every word & note.

-Susan

!!!!!!!!! That is amazing !!!!!!!!!!!
drmathprog
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 218
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/05 06:10:55 (permalink)
Ian Paice of Deep Purple sets up left handed, or at least in the 70's when I saw him.
Peter Morrison
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 471
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/05 06:28:59 (permalink)
You certainly hit a few nerves there Markmann

Gear;-4 copper kettles-a large dustbin-a piece of string and a cotter pin. I keep a spring on standby 
gnie
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 776
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/05 11:18:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: markmann

Well here's two who had at least as much impact on music: Jimi Hendrix and Miles Davis

Davis reinvented jazz several times and then created the precursors for techno with his 70s stuff.

Absolutely. And the process by which he and Teo Macero made ****es Brew is fascinating.
Jazz isn't talked much about in this forum, which is too bad.
The stuff they did in that period was very controversial ['tennis without a net', and all that], and still isn't properly understood or appreciated.

Peter Morrison
  • Total Posts : 471
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/05 12:11:31 (permalink)
Come on lads, if you're going down that road, the buck should stop at Mozarts door

Well here's two who had at least as much impact on music: Jimi Hendrix and Miles Davis

Davis reinvented jazz several times and then created the precursors for techno with his 70s stuff.

Gear;-4 copper kettles-a large dustbin-a piece of string and a cotter pin. I keep a spring on standby 
pantherhawk27263
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 258
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/05 12:21:40 (permalink)
While this is not an answer, to me helps explain how they may have been able to get such a great sound. When Martin and Emerick started working with the recordings to produce "The Beatles Anthology" they were both amazed at how good the recordings still sounded. Emerick credits this good sound to two things. 1) They always used new tape (well, almost always. They did record over some things) and kept every take. 2) Along with new tape, they always spent a lot of time trying to get the best possible sound on the tape. Even though John may have been saying "That's good enough", Martin and Emerick wouldn't accept that type of thinking. Living by one of the cardinal rules of recording, get the best sound you can on tape....

"Information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom, wisdom is not truth, truth is not beauty, beauty is not love, love is not music. Music is the BEST!"
Frank Zappa - "Packard Goose" from "Joe's Garage"
gnie
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/05 13:31:24 (permalink)
I haven't heard Love, but there's always been recordings that come out and sound particularly fresh or better at the time [Katy Lied, and Tusk come to mind].
The thing is whether it will be a lasting impression.
There's a lot to the idea of what they got on tape originally.
But I wish we had more of this kind of analysis. There are recordings I'd like to see dissected. It could be quite educational to all.
markmann
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 253
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/05 18:36:44 (permalink)
Come on lads, if you're going down that road, the buck should stop at Mozarts door

quote:

I was responding to someone who said he was hard pressed to think of anyone in his life time who had had the same effect on music as the Beatles had. So I guess we're talking 1930 to the present or so. Not that MO' ain't great. He's definitely major in my book.

Sonar 6.2, Athlon 4400x2, 4 UAD cards, Benchmark D/A, MOTU Traveler, Apogee Mini-me clock, Kontackt, MMV, ColorTone, HydraTone, Amplitube 2, Digital Performer, G5
BluesMeister
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 581
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/05 19:47:14 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: drmathprog

Ian Paice of Deep Purple sets up left handed, or at least in the 70's when I saw him.

Well there you go! Like I said previously, I don't recall seeing a lefty drummer, and since I was never a fan of Purp Deeple, the chances of me knowing that IP set up lefty was remote. I do have a friend who has a copy of 'Made In Japan', maybe I should borrow it and lend it an ear. Nicely done, drmathprog.

Fascinating thread, this one.

BluesMeister
5 guitars, 1 amplifier, 3 pedals
Asus P8P67LE, i7 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD
Win7 Home Premium 64-Bit SP-1
Sonar 8.5.3 64-Bit, RME HDSPe AIO
Spendor BC-1 Studio Monitors
Hymie
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/05 19:58:05 (permalink)

"A Day in the Life" alone made the Love CD/DVD worth buying for me. Incredible.

In regard to the excellent quality of the orginal recordings referenced earlier in the thread:

A couple of guys (Kevin Ryan, Brian Kehew) did a great job on a book regarding the Beatles recording history, "Recordingthebeatles". /http://www.recordingthebeatles.com/ This is not the Beatles Recording Sessions book by Lewisohn.

It came out in September 2006. The book is for the recording equipment gear heads. It is expensive and the first run sold out, but it is worth the price and the wait. I think it has to be ordered from the web site.

They interviewed everyone they could find during the EMI years. I think only Emmerick and Martin did not agree to assist the research. It goes over the mixing desks, tape machines, limiters, compressors, mics, echo chambers, etc. It even discusses the modifications made to the equipment purchased outside the organization, such as the Fairchild’s. It is great piece of work. It is very well documented. Abbey Road actually threw a book release party for the authors. That is high praise for Abbey Road to do that.

Some of you may want to take a look.

Hymie
Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/05 21:14:24 (permalink)
Recordingthebeatles

Yes, that book looks great. Although it's a little pricey for my budget at the moment. Maybe in another year it'll be affordable on ebay (or wherever).

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Anubis
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1059
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/15 20:32:43 (permalink)
I just got the CD today and have only listened to the first half at this writing. The thing that upsets me the most about this compilation is that just when you think you're getting clever with your music and your "production"... you realize it's all been done before.
btw- did Paul play bass on Something (I'm assuming he did but I know they used alot of "guest" musicians). I guess the bass is cleaner or more up front in this mix but it made me realize what a great player he was(is).

X2Studio_Win7(64)_SamsungChronos_QuNexus_QuNeo_Axiom25_Saffire24Pro_Saffire6USB_EdirolPCR300_Nocturn
Amplitubes_AmpegSVX_StylusRMX_SampleTank/Tron_Komplete7_AddictiveDrums_TRacks3_Wavelab6
miTunes
Daddy?!
  • Total Posts : 202
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/19 12:44:54 (permalink)
I respect The Beatles hugely, but I've always believed that if they didn't set the bar where they did for songwriting, somebody else would've.

The vibe I'm getting is that a large % of the folks out there think that if the Beatles never existed we'd still be singing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star".

I completely disagree with this.

I will say, I'm very grateful that The Beatles came along and did the brilliant things that they did, but I don't believe that pop songwriting would be so vastly different today than if they didn't ever come around. There were non-Beatles songs that existed prior to their emergence.

Having said that, I'd rather not hear what mainstream music might be like without their contributions. I'd imagine it wouldn't be any better and I'm pretty darn upset with what they are feeding us. Lucky for me, I don't let radio play any part in what I choose to listen to. I go online and find stuff that I like.

Just my $.02

PCAudioLabs Rok Box CR 3, 8GB RAM (DDR3-1600 Dual Channel), AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo), RME Fireface 802, Yamaha Motif 7, Mackie HR824, Mackie 1604 VLZ-Pro

www.threemachine.com
stratcat
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 601
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/19 13:13:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: syrath

ORIGINAL: BluesMeister

Although Ringo isn't a technically brilliant drummer, his sound is very distinctive and was absolutely perfect for The Beatles. His drumming style is dictated by the fact that he is naturally left handed but plays his kit set up for right handed playing.

As do many left handed drummers, in fact they are technically at an advantage if they do , because a right handed drummer has a weaker left hand. Giving a more balanced strength between hands.

There are many left handed drummers that deliberately go right handed setup because of this.

And the same for guitarists... I am a lefty and have always played "right handed", although, to me, this way seems to be better fit for a lefty, with my stronger hand fretting.. Right hand rhythm doesnt take the strength needed to fret and bend strings. I play hard with my left hand on the neck and wear strings out much quicker than the right handed guitarist in my group. I think this way just makes more sense and right handed players should flip it over!!!

Stratcat
Sonar PE 6.2.1
P4 2.8c
Sbax
  • Total Posts : 220
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/19 13:38:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Daddy?!

I respect The Beatles hugely, but I've always believed that if they didn't set the bar where they did for songwriting, somebody else would've.

The vibe I'm getting is that a large % of the folks out there think that if the Beatles never existed we'd still be singing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star".

I completely disagree with this.

I will say, I'm very grateful that The Beatles came along and did the brilliant things that they did, but I don't believe that pop songwriting would be so vastly different today than if they didn't ever come around. There were non-Beatles songs that existed prior to their emergence.

Having said that, I'd rather not hear what mainstream music might be like without their contributions. I'd imagine it wouldn't be any better and I'm pretty darn upset with what they are feeding us. Lucky for me, I don't let radio play any part in what I choose to listen to. I go online and find stuff that I like.

Just my $.02

Dylan did a lot to move music forward too. In fact, The Beatles were influenced by Dylan to the point where Lennon was embarrassed when a music critic asked why all his songs contain mostly one syllable words in obvious comparison to Dylan. Lennon then wrote Help! with words like self-assured, appreciate, independence. The toll of touring was lifted off the Beatles and their work quality increased.

But Dylan stagnated in many ways even to the point of purposely making bad albums whereas The Beatles grew with open minds and they quit on a high point. So many bands in the 60s and 70s were started because direct Beatles influence, probably more so than the Stones.

Sonar 6 PE
RME Fireface 800
Athlon 64 3000
Asus K8V SE Deluxe
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/19 13:45:38 (permalink)
I agree with the unnervingly named Daddy?!

It seems too simplistic to me to posit one band as being a pivotal change in pop music. A lot of things were going on. And remember that a lot of the studio innovations were to do with the guys working in the studio, and a lot of that innovations could and would have happened with other bands.
Amazed
  • Total Posts : 459
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/19 13:47:03 (permalink)
I'm a big beatles fan, but to be honest where do I hear the beatles influences today? A few Oasis tunes at a stretch but hey...nahh I dont see it myself.
sada10
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 175
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/19 18:45:04 (permalink)
God, even after hearing all of the great guitarist that have come along since Hendrix, I still freakin cringe every time I hear him play; I mean it is like I just have this image in my mind that he is going to play his guitar so hard that it is just going to be shredded to pieces by the time he through. Man I love to hear him play.

ORIGINAL: John

Can you amagine the 60's without the Beatles. WE'd still be listening to...oh God the thought is scary

Jimmy Hendrix maybe

Best
John

X1 Producer;PreSonus Firepod;EVGA: AMD Phenom IIX4 965;DDR3;Win 7 64 CoolWaters- The blood is in the music, but the music is in the water-just drink it; it's yours!
sada10
  • Total Posts : 175
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/19 18:52:57 (permalink)
Man am I so with you-freakin love Hendrix.

Can you amagine the 60's without the Beatles. WE'd still be listening to...oh God the thought is scary

Jimmy Hendrix maybe

Best
John

X1 Producer;PreSonus Firepod;EVGA: AMD Phenom IIX4 965;DDR3;Win 7 64 CoolWaters- The blood is in the music, but the music is in the water-just drink it; it's yours!
RLD
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1990
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/19 19:20:28 (permalink)
Hey, if you want to hear a man possessed, check out this SRV live tune...freakin' scary...
I put in on You send it and its about 8mb.
SRV
ORIGINAL: sada10

God, even after hearing all of the great guitarist that have come along since Hendrix, I still freakin cringe every time I hear him play; I mean it is like I just have this image in my mind that he is going to play his guitar so hard that it is just going to be shredded to pieces by the time he through. Man I love to hear him play.

Jimmy Hendrix maybe

Best
John

DonnyAir
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1201
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/20 09:22:15 (permalink)
There's a 5.1 DVD version available of this too. Might be pretty cool!

It is.

http://www.donnythompson.com
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/20 13:42:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Amazed

I'm a big beatles fan, but to be honest where do I hear the beatles influences today? A few Oasis tunes at a stretch but hey...nahh I dont see it myself.

Oh, I dunno about that, they are unquestionably influential. I saw a live cover of Come Together a couple of months ago... performed by Public Enemy of all people.
Dave King
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/20 17:35:00 (permalink)
If you listen to Jet's album, "Get Born" there's Beatles influences all over the place.

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

zapotec
  • Total Posts : 152
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2007/01/03 21:06:49 (permalink)
I LOVE this remix and recording; I did not give it a change at first...
they did preserve much of the nuances that only George Martin could do (or redo) and clarify
a lot of items that sound new all over again!!!!
BRAVO!!!
Dave King
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2007/01/03 22:44:59 (permalink)
I was hoping Santa Claus would bring me the Love CD for Christmas, but he didn't. Bad Santa! So, I bought the CD and surround version from Amazon and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. Can't wait...!

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

mcourter
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3442
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2007/01/05 14:13:49 (permalink)
I agree that if the Beatles hadn't done what they did, someone would have. They are the biggest musical influence in my life, but innovation isn't limited to them. Same with Mozart, who is maybe my all time favorite composer: he wasn't the only genius, and he was himself greatly influenced by Haydn.
Re: Miles Davis: I like an awful lot of what he did, but ****es Brew was a travesty. The musicians were all jonesed out, and scarcely playing in the same key with only approximately similar time signatures. I would question whether they were ever in the same room at the same time (wich can be done today much more easily). The reason it's considered groundbreaking is because it's incomprehensible. And if you can't comprehend it, well, it MUST be way COOL. I used to think it was just artless noodling, but I can see in retrospect that it was ARTFUL noodling.
Mark
post edited by mcourter - 2007/01/05 14:34:07

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
Unbridled Enthusiasm
 My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
marcos69
Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4950
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2007/02/11 14:57:58 (permalink)
My older brother used to point out to me that the Beatles record sales should not be compared to record sales of new(er) artists. Back when the Beatles were selling gold albums, maybe 1 in 4 people even owned a record player at the time. People would take turns buying a Beatle album and meet up at whoever was lucky enough to have a phonograph and eveyone listen there.
post edited by marcos69 - 2007/02/11 15:18:42

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
gnie
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2007/02/11 15:10:06 (permalink)
****es Brew was a travesty

A lot of people couldn't get into that stuff, but in my opinion, it was the beginning of a great period.
Susan G
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12016
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2007/02/11 15:20:59 (permalink)
Hi Mark-
ORIGINAL: marcos69

My older brother used to point out to me that the Beatles record sales should not be compared to record sales of new(er) artists. Back when the Beatles were selling gold albums, maybe 1 in 4 people even owned a record player at the time. People would take turns buying a Beatle album and meet up at whoever was lucky enough to have a phonograph and eveyone listen there.

Ouch! I don't know where your older brother got his stats from, but I think the "maybe 1 in 4 people even owned a record player at the time" is way off! That's gotta be apocryphal! Everyone I knew had a record player (and even a TV!) even way back when I was in High School. We always bought our own albums, and never crouched around in the dark listening to them!

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
marcos69
Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4950
RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2007/02/11 17:04:24 (permalink)
He got his stats from being there. Maybe your upbringing was more enriched.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1