OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff?

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
markmann
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 253
2006/11/30 16:04:55 (permalink)

OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff?

I just got the Beatles new CD titled "LOVE". It's sort of a mashup/remix of Beatles tracks by George Martin and his son Giles done for the Cirque du Sole. They apparently got all the individual tracks and "unbounced" everything so they could put it up in Pro tools and remix it. The sound blows all the modern pop stuff completely out of the water. I've never heard anything like it. If you like the Beatles and you're into recording, you'll find this extremely interesting and something to shoot for in terms of sound quality. Even if you don't like them much, the recording itself is just mind-boggling. Surely some people on the list have heard this by now. Why does this record sound so amazing. Is it the one inch four track quality thing? I think that's what they used for a lot of stuff up through Pepper.

Sonar 6.2, Athlon 4400x2, 4 UAD cards, Benchmark D/A, MOTU Traveler, Apogee Mini-me clock, Kontackt, MMV, ColorTone, HydraTone, Amplitube 2, Digital Performer, G5

124 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/11/30 16:12:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: markmann

I just got the Beatles new CD titled "LOVE". It's sort of a mashup/remix of Beatles tracks by George Martin and his son Giles done for the Cirque du Sole. They apparently got all the individual tracks and "unbounced" everything so they could put it up in Pro tools and remix it. The sound blows all the modern pop stuff completely out of the water. I've never heard anything like it. If you like the Beatles and you're into recording, you'll find this extremely interesting and something to shoot for in terms of sound quality. Even if you don't like them much, the recording itself is just mind-boggling. Surely some people on the list have heard this by now. Why does this record sound so amazing. Is it the one inch four track quality thing? I think that's what they used for a lot of stuff up through Pepper.

I think it's just that George Martin produces music that is good or maybe just "normal". And when compared to the hammered dog $#!% they pass off as HiFi these days the contrast is very revealing. To be honest he would not have to try very hard to best most CDs made in the last 10 years.
    DonM
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4129
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/11/30 16:15:29 (permalink)
    I've only heard a few tracks thus far - it sounds like many of the guitars were reamped - is there a technical 'making of' site or video yet?

-D

John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/11/30 16:21:46 (permalink)

Is it the one inch four track quality thing? I think that's what they used for a lot of stuff up through Pepper.

Umm... I think it borders on wishful thinking to say it sounds good because of four track tape. 'Love', by necessity, is an incredibly hi tech production. The amount of digital pitch shifting and time stretching on it is mind boggling. It is as digital as you like.

I would attribute it to Goerge Martin being very, very good, and having very, very good assistant engineers to work with.

Of course, there is both character and quality to a lot of the original recordings. But part of what makes Love sound as good as it does is, frankly, digital processing in Pro Tools.
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/11/30 17:01:01 (permalink)
    ...well, did you listen to the "Let it Be...Naked" album that came out a few years ago? That was basically the original tapes stripped down and re-mixed/re-mastered with the surviving Beatles' blessings. I thought that turned out pretty well.
    John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/11/30 17:04:42 (permalink)
    Well, yeah. The original recordngs do sound good. But I don't think that's because they're from tape or anything. You can record to tape well or badly, you can record to digital well or badly.
    Sbax
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 220
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/11/30 17:09:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DonM

I've only heard a few tracks thus far - it sounds like many of the guitars were reamped - is there a technical 'making of' site or video yet?

-D

I read an article in Uncut about it. They digitized the original multitracks (not a bad source, huh?)and made notes of song keys. Then the hard work. On Octopus's Garden intro (with Good Night as background and Ringo's "I'd like to be....") slowed down to fit the Good Night tempo I could hear the time stretching was obvious on the vocal. Other people...maybe no, they couldn't hear it. That's what DAWs and plugins do to ya!!! (Not to mention the listening to details when recording and mixing.)

BTW, the article said Paul Mac approved it but told Martin it could have been "more way out". I agree.

Sonar 6 PE
    RME Fireface 800
    Athlon 64 3000
    Asus K8V SE Deluxe
    Peter Morrison
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 471
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/11/30 17:30:27 (permalink)
    Markman your a markmann of my own heart. Thank christ somebody else likes The Fab Four

Gear;-4 copper kettles-a large dustbin-a piece of string and a cotter pin. I keep a spring on standby 
    yorolpal
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13829
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/11/30 17:40:35 (permalink)
    Scuse me, Peter, but are you saying there's a snowball's chance in hell that some self-evidentaly mentally derranged/challenged being living on planet Earth DOES NOT like them or recognize their staggering contribution to popular music??!! No, I didn't think so.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    timumstead
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 67
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/11/30 18:10:27 (permalink)
    Scuse me, Peter, but are you saying there's a snowball's chance in hell that some self-evidentaly mentally derranged/challenged being living on planet Earth DOES NOT like them or recognize their staggering contribution to popular music??!! No, I didn't think so.

Knowing I am about to be thoroughly flamed, although I recognize their talent and contribution to music, I don't own any Beatles, nor do I plan on buying any. Just not my bag , baby.

Tim Umstead
    DonM
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4129
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/11/30 18:41:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: timumstead

Knowing I am about to be thoroughly flamed, although I recognize their talent and contribution to music, I don't own any Beatles, nor do I plan on buying any. Just not my bag , baby.

Tim Umstead

Tim:
    Here are my thoughts - don't bow to pressure - like 'em or leave 'em - doesn't matter -here's my credibility on that statement:

I watched The Ed Sullivan Broadcast in 1964 / I've played John in one of the east coast Fab Cover bands for a while / I even taught a university elective on em - In many many cases you had to be there - there is no substitute to opening Sgt. Pepper in 1967 and having your head blown off - that can't happen the same way as it did then - the context is not the same.

I still use their material in my sound design class - in fact this week the students are doing two scenes from Help and one from yellow sub - many undergrads get very interested in them when we just talk about the time the music happened - the music stands as will artists today - but the time will NEVER be the same - you had to be there.
    -D

doc_drop
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/11/30 18:50:30 (permalink)
    I dunno. I first got into the Beatles several years after they broke up. My older cousins gave me Abby Road a few years earlier, but I guess I wasn't ready for it. When I was about 16, I put the album on my mom's old tube stereo. I have never been the same since. So, there is more than one context for creating a Beatle fan. I thank the Beatles for all of my interest in writing songs, and more importantly for opening up my ears to what recordings can be...

But I haven't yet heard the remixes.

Doc_DROP
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/11/30 19:01:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: John T

Of course, there is both character and quality to a lot of the original recordings. But part of what makes Love sound as good as it does is, frankly, digital processing in Pro Tools.

I'm guessing that some fairly high-end analog gear got employed in this project as well...
    Peter Morrison
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 471
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/11/30 19:29:19 (permalink)
    Can you amagine the 60's without the Beatles. WE'd still be listening to...oh God the thought is scary

Gear;-4 copper kettles-a large dustbin-a piece of string and a cotter pin. I keep a spring on standby 
    markmann
    • Total Posts : 253
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/11/30 19:34:07 (permalink)
    No doubt George Martin had something to do with this, but he's basically too deaf to engineer/produce now at a pro level by his own admission. And I know this is a heavily digital record. But there's something fundamentally more "present" about the sound than you get on most modern recordings. There is more "there" there to paraphrase old Gertrude. And the low end of the CD (don't have the DVD but will soon) is present in a way that I haven't heard on modern stuff. Above and beyond the sound quality, it's really cool to hear isolated tracks in certain cases. I hope they've digitized all the multitracks and decide to remix. Some would say that shouldn't be done, but of course they can always keep listening to the originals. It's also cool to hear how things have changed in recording and this project really highlights that.

Sonar 6.2, Athlon 4400x2, 4 UAD cards, Benchmark D/A, MOTU Traveler, Apogee Mini-me clock, Kontackt, MMV, ColorTone, HydraTone, Amplitube 2, Digital Performer, G5
    timumstead
    • Total Posts : 67
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/11/30 20:16:52 (permalink)
    Can you amagine the 60's without the Beatles. WE'd still be listening to...oh God the thought is scary

Even though I am not a Beatles fan, that is something I do understand. We would be stuck in a world of "How Much Is That Doggie In The Window".
    I guess my point is, you don't have to be a fan of someones music to understand the impact it has had on music.

I'm smart enough to realize that the Beatles have even influenced me by way of influencing my own musical heros. Kind of like you have to understand heavy metal would not be what it is without Black Sabbath. I play metal, love metal, but am not a huge Sabbath fan. I do understand they are basically the creators of the original sound, though.

By the way, my influences run from classical, to jazz, big band swing, prog rock, corporate rock, to thrash, prog metal, black metal, power metal, middle eastern sounding stuff. I love Celtic sounds. I'll go straight from Tori Amos to Opeth on my mp3 player. Basically, if I hear it and like it, I will listen, regardless of style. As it has been said, Good music is anything you want to hear twice.

This kind of thing can lead to some really interesting conversations about musical influence and impact.

Tim Umstead

moniker
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 614
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/11/30 20:27:04 (permalink)

We would be stuck in a world of "How Much Is That Doggie In The Window".

No we wouldn't. Everyone was up for change at that time.
    moniker
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 614
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/11/30 20:28:42 (permalink)
    Oops
    post edited by moniker - 2006/11/30 20:47:47
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/11/30 21:02:12 (permalink)

Jimmy Hendrix maybe

Best
    John
    dstrenz
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1067
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/11/30 21:32:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: doc_drop
    I dunno. I first got into the Beatles several years after they broke up. My older cousins gave me Abby Road a few years earlier, but I guess I wasn't ready for it. When I was about 16, I put the album on my mom's old tube stereo. I have never been the same since. So, there is more than one context for creating a Beatle fan. I thank the Beatles for all of my interest in writing songs, and more importantly for opening up my ears to what recordings can be...

But I haven't yet heard the remixes.
    Doc_DROP

From the horses mouths: http://youtube.com/watch?v=WdepGKDZ5Lo

The first time I heard them was on a Sunday. My parents were driving my brother and I to the cider mill in our '59 Plymouth station wagon. "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" came on the AM radio and we were all silent through the whole song. I was thinking to myself, "WOW. I'VE GOT TO HEAR THAT AGAIN." There was a short pause and they played it again (the station was probably flooded with calls).

Some of My Stuff
    RattyQ8
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/11/30 22:24:45 (permalink)
    Here I am at 62 and during the Sixties followed the Beatles around the "Star Club" circuit in Germany, Played at the Cavern Club and had a real B A L L!!
    you really had to be there to experience the hysteria as no words could ever descibe how it actually was!
    George Martin and Norrie Paramore (Cliff Richards Producer) were trendsetters in the recording industry and were responsible for major advent of Neve & SSL Consoles with "English EQ" as Stateside studio's still call it to this day.
    Oh those halcyon days !
    That analogue warmth and smooth overdriven distortion on a reel to reel was certainly much more forgiving than digital.
    I never seem to be able to emulate the warmth and smoothness on Brass or Strings with digital recording, but it's so nice to see GM, like me working with digital, and, "Still at it" !
    RandySeed
    • Total Posts : 62
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/01 10:34:23 (permalink)

We would be stuck in a world of "How Much Is That Doggie In The Window".

Doggie in the Window? I don't think so.

If the Beatles never happened, I would be listening to Muddy, Lightening, Berry, Little Richard, all of the Sun Record Boys, Ray, Aretha, Mr. Brown and all of their derivatives from Costello to the Stones.

Oh wait, the Beatles did happen and yet that is what I'm still listening to.

But I'm a grumpy old coot.

Milt
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 781
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/01 11:06:41 (permalink)
    Genius in the writing of the songs+genius in the performance of the songs + genius in the production and delivery=music that changed the world forever, and changed me forever!
    Spinedoc
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 574
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/01 11:12:19 (permalink)
    Gonna get this album today. I saw the show "LOVE" in Vegas in August, and while it was okay, I was quite galvanized listen to a "mash-up" of the beatles stuff done this well. I believe Martins son did most of the work on this.
    Twigman
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3667
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/01 12:09:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DonM

- but the time will NEVER be the same - you had to be there.

and most who were don't even know it!!

Become a Fan on Facebook
    Buy our stuff on iTunes
    Q9550-P5QL-E-8GB1066RAM-GT9800 1GB-RME HDSP9632-W7Prox64-X2x64
    mumpcake
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/01 12:42:14 (permalink)

Tim Umstead

If this were KVR, by now we'd have seen someone post a photoshopped book cover of The Beatles Really Are My Bag Baby with your name as the author.
    zapotec
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 152
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/01 13:47:49 (permalink)
    ...loved Let it Be 'Naked' it is very clean and uncluttered; just how I like it, the initial listening to the LOVE recordings/remix leaves something to be desired. I think too much reverb and I have a hard time with the over-dubbing of these great songs, which can stand on their own. I will however give it a go several more times just for the fact of George Martin had a part in this. Hopefully it was'nt just his son playing with Pro Tools and showing Dad 'what he can do'.
    Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/01 15:20:41 (permalink)
    There's a 5.1 DVD version available of this too. Might be pretty cool!

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

bluealien
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/01 15:25:28 (permalink)
    Well the show LOVE here in Vegas is really cool... if you get a chance to visit Vegas; it’s a show I would recommend

.: Blue Alien :.
    Hexdigit62
    • Total Posts : 86
    RE: OT - Beatles New "Love" CD better than modern stuff? 2006/12/01 15:30:42 (permalink)
    The funny thing about Let it Be 'Naked' is that in the absence of the Phil Specter influence the absence of George Martin really stands out.
    As for the Beatles; you can’t deny the amazing body of work they produced in seven short years including 27 number one hits. I was only two years old when they first appeared on the Ed Sullivan show but it didn’t take me long to catch on. As a small child in the sixties I remember my sisters playing their records all of the time. By the early seventies I was a full blown Beatle-Manic!

Thanks
    John
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1