OT: Before I screw things up worse....

Author
g_randybrown
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3522
2009/01/30 13:17:18 (permalink)

OT: Before I screw things up worse....

Sorry for the OT but hopefully someone doesn't mind telling me how to get out of the mess I've gotten myself into.
I was getting errors from my OS drive (WD 750GB) so under the warranty received a new one (Seagate 750 GB). The package stated AMD Phenom but I am running Intel Q6600. After installing it started to boot up normally and then went to a black screen and did nothing. I was thinking they had installed/formatted the OS (Vista 64) for use with the AMD processor (makes sense ...no?).
Anyway I did a fresh install from the disk and chose the small partition to install to (thinking it would just overwrite the other install...made sense to me but then I'm an idiot).
Well now it wants to know which Vista I want to boot ; if I choose the first option it boots up fine but shows local disk (C:) as being 6.14 GB of 15.4 free and Partition_1 (D:) 667 GB of 683 free. The partition looks like a C drive (with programs on it and stuff) but what the heck did I do wrong and how should I get it right?????

Thanks so much,
Randy

G. Randy Brown 
Windows 10, 64 bit, Platinum
Intel Core i7-3770S
Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
4X8GB Corsair XMS3 memory 
500 GB Crucial BX100 SSD (OS)
two WD Black 1 TB HDD
SAPPHIRE DUAL-X 100314-4L Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 
Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
youtube.com/crystalclearnm

12 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: OT: Before I screw things up worse.... 2009/01/30 13:34:53 (permalink)
    Do you have an install disk for Vista? What package said "AMD Phenom"? Exactly what did you get and what did you do with it? Step by step.

Best
    John
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    RE: OT: Before I screw things up worse.... 2009/01/30 13:34:59 (permalink)
    If it's booting fine and working okay from the C: partition you have a couple of options. One is to carry on using it like that and use the D: partition as your program and data drive. The other is to get hold of Acronis Disk Director and delete D: and resize C: to take up the free space.

What happens if you choose the second option? It sounds to me as if you've installed the OS to the backup part of the drive that OEMs use as recovery partitions, although they usually hide the partition. You could find that the other partition will boot fine as well.
    burkek
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: OT: Before I screw things up worse.... 2009/01/30 13:49:55 (permalink)
    When you boot the Vista install disc I believe you will have an option to actually delete the secondary and primary partitions. Then create one large primary partition, or half-and-half or whatever. Then format each partition. This can all be done from the install menu.

KEv

www.kevinburke.ca

Macbook Pro 2017 | 4K monitor 
    AKAI S5000 x 3 | Korg Prophecy/Poly-61M | Alesis S4+/DM5 | Ensoniq Mirage x 2, ASR-10 | EMU e6400 | Roland S750 | Kawai K4r/XD-5/K3m | EMU Proformance/1+ | Waldorf uQ

g_randybrown
    RE: OT: Before I screw things up worse.... 2009/01/30 13:50:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: John

Do you have an install disk for Vista? What package said "AMD Phenom"? Exactly what did you get and what did you do with it? Step by step.

The package that the new hard drive came in stated AMD Phenom. This came from a refurb company and I assume since it wouldn't boot past a certain point they had formatted for AMD instead of Intel.
    Now it wants to know which Vista I want to boot ; if I choose the first option it boots up fine but shows local disk (C:) as being 6.14 GB of 15.4 free and Partition_1 (D:) 667 GB of 683 free. If I choose the second option it does what it did before re-installing; goes to a black screen when booting and doesn't change which is what it did before re-installing...apparently I didn't just write over/erase the AMD installation (if I sound like I don't know what the hell I'm talking about...I really don't)
    Thanks for your patience John,
    Randy

G. Randy Brown 
    Intel Core i7-3770S
    Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
    two WD Black 1 TB HDD
    Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: OT: Before I screw things up worse.... 2009/01/30 13:51:18 (permalink)
    FBB Acronis DD trashed my hard drive with a vista install , I would avoid it... all it did was cause me MFT errors till the drive was so corrupted the install of vista wondered if it was legit (which it was)

to NOT get issues with my vista update.. I use gparted + formated the drives nativily in windows

the full version of vista comes with a command called "shrink" which is helpful.. .but the oem upgrade doesn't

Randy if it's MFT errors your getting.. try using gparted

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

as for formatting.. do the new partitions in XP if it's still on there...

it took me ages to suss that that acronis was the issue and it was a PITA.. when I contacted them, they were worse than useless

as for a guide to xp > vista .. use this site.

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_xp__stepbystep_guide_with_screenshots.htm

also vista bootpro manager is a very good thing to have also

http://www.vistabootpro.org/
    g_randybrown
    RE: OT: Before I screw things up worse.... 2009/01/30 13:52:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: FastBikerBoy

If it's booting fine and working okay from the C: partition you have a couple of options. One is to carry on using it like that and use the D: partition as your program and data drive.

I could live with that if it doesn't cause problems.
    Thanks,
    Randy

G. Randy Brown 
    Intel Core i7-3770S
    Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
    two WD Black 1 TB HDD
    Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
    g_randybrown
    RE: OT: Before I screw things up worse.... 2009/01/30 13:54:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: burkek

When you boot the Vista install disc I believe you will have an option to actually delete the secondary and primary partitions. Then create one large primary partition, or half-and-half or whatever. Then format each partition. This can all be done from the install menu.

KEv

This is a disk made by Gateway and I got no option to delete anything just where to install. I chose that recovery partition thinking it would overwrite/delete it and replace it with the new install.
    Thanks Kev,
    Randy

G. Randy Brown 
    Intel Core i7-3770S
    Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
    two WD Black 1 TB HDD
    Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    RE: OT: Before I screw things up worse.... 2009/01/30 14:40:34 (permalink)
    FBB Acronis DD trashed my hard drive with a vista install , I would avoid it... all it did was cause me MFT errors till the drive was so corrupted the install of vista wondered if it was legit (which it was)

Fair enough I've only ever used it with XP.

OP can you boot into the second drive in safe mode?

The AMD thing is just an irrelevant side issue, drives are formatted for use with an OS and even that's usually interchangeable. The chipset type is irrelevant.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: OT: Before I screw things up worse.... 2009/01/30 14:52:18 (permalink)
    A disk is not formatted for a processor. The file system on the disk is either a FAT type or an NTFS type. A version of Windows can relate to what processor it was install for. But if it boots and runs that is not an issue. What I guess I am not too clear on is just what do you want to do? I get the idea that you want to able to use as much disk space as you have on the disk. This will require a repartitioning of the disk to create one large partition. If you have no Vista install disks or a way to install Vista on a newly formatted disk I would highly advise against doing so. In other words leave it alone if you don't have the means to recover from a blank disk. There are partitioning programs that will do this without deleting anything. However this is a touchy area that unless you know what you are doing and have the right software I would leave it alone. Plus if you have no way to install Vista from scratch if something goes wrong you will have no way to recover.

None the less it is easy to do and we can walk you through it if you chose to do this anyway.

Best
    John
    g_randybrown
    RE: OT: Before I screw things up worse.... 2009/01/30 15:34:36 (permalink)
    A disk is not formatted for a processor. The file system on the disk is either a FAT type or an NTFS type. A version of Windows can relate to what processor it was install for. But if it boots and runs that is not an issue.

It didn't boot and that's why I tried to reformat...I guess the new hard drive having a sticker on it stating AMD Phenom is what made me think that the factory installation of the OS was for AMD especially during the new installation Vista states it is checking your computer performance (but I guess I was wrong).
    Anyway, I got pissed and tried to reinstall again to determine what I did wrong and apparently Kev was right (thanks Kev) I was given the option (after expanding the options) to delete everything. I did delete everything, and did a fresh install and everything seems to be normal now.
    Thanks so much for everyone's patience and sorry for the trouble.
    Randy

G. Randy Brown 
    Intel Core i7-3770S
    Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
    two WD Black 1 TB HDD
    Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
    MemphisJo
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 594
    RE: OT: Before I screw things up worse.... 2009/02/13 21:34:34 (permalink)
    Why would it even have an OS on a new drive?

Why didn't they just send you a brand new drive that you could install in the computer and start from scratch, load up your OS and then after it was up and running just transfer all the stuff from your back up on to the new drive?

We don't have the whole story here.

Is this a store bought computer with a freakin' rescue disc type deal (or worse still now, no discs at all) and so they shipped you a new drive with the OS on??

There is not enough info here about the situation for anyone to give an informed opinion.
    g_randybrown
    RE: OT: Before I screw things up worse.... 2009/02/14 09:22:06 (permalink)
    Why would it even have an OS on a new drive?

Why didn't they just send you a brand new drive that you could install in the computer and start from scratch, load up your OS and then after it was up and running just transfer all the stuff from your back up on to the new drive?

We don't have the whole story here.

Is this a store bought computer with a freakin' rescue disc type deal (or worse still now, no discs at all) and so they shipped you a new drive with the OS on??

There is not enough info here about the situation for anyone to give an informed opinion.

Hey Jo,
    I find your reply strange in that (as stated above) the issue was resolved two weeks ago.
    But if you really need to know:
    Yes it was a store bought system (from Tiger Direct). It was refurbished by a refurb company that was responsible for the warranty.
    When I told them about the OS drive problem they wanted me to send the whole tower back but I suggested that they just send me the new hard drive (since I had installed other hardware on it and didn't feel like jacking with that).
    So they agreed and sent me a new drive (that already had the OS on it) which I had the problems with.
    As mentioned above I did a fresh install and all is hunky-dorey now.
    Thanks for your concern,
    Randy

G. Randy Brown 
    Intel Core i7-3770S
    Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
    two WD Black 1 TB HDD
    Presonus AudioBox 22VSL