www.georgeharrison.com

I saw the Ed Sulllivan broadcast in '64 - thanks lads

-D
post edited by DonM - 2006/02/25 09:50:50

4 Replies Related Threads

...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: OT: But Who Cares!!!! 2006/02/25 16:23:28 (permalink)
    The version of "isn't it a pity" on the Concert for George with Billy Preston singing was quite sublime. Actually "something" with Paul on ukelele was great too, but then the 99+ superstar came in and took some of the charm away from it.

His last record was actually quite good, a true powerhouse.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Jake68
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 224
    RE: OT: But Who Cares!!!! 2006/02/25 16:47:24 (permalink)
    I gotta say this. I cant not.

I was a big fan of GH esq. Until the moment he put down his instrument and left the stage at the concert for Bangladesh. Shortly followed by Eric Clapton, leaving the other guys to play out without him. The George Harrison show. It was either a complete misjudgement on his part, or a demonstration that he had at least a partly personal motivation for doing what he did. A completely selfless individual would not have done that.

The first time I ever watched the CfB from the beginning to the end with an entire group of friends, nearly all of us professional players and big Beatles and Harrison fans completely. When he walked off the stage alone followed by Clapton, the entire room said "Whats that all about".

I still love his music however. And hope that it was someone elses suggestion that he left the stage, it really made the whole thing look as it was planned to be about him rather than Bangladesh.

Sorry. Dont lynch me.
    TheFingers
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1669
    RE: OT: But Who Cares!!!! 2006/02/25 18:21:45 (permalink)
    People will be how they are, it is up to us to live and let live. Stuff happens.

1973 "A" neck.

I'd rather be playing Bass:
    dash
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: OT: But Who Cares!!!! 2006/02/27 12:06:01 (permalink)
    I gotta say this. I cant not.

I was a big fan of GH esq. Until the moment he put down his instrument and left the stage at the concert for Bangladesh.

Yow! Pretty quick on the trigger there.

I can't recall that moment, but you're saying that even though you don't really know anything about why he left the stage, it looked as if he was trying to make the concert about him? It occurs to me that he might have been making sure the show was not 'about him' by leaving. Or perhaps he wasn't interested or comfortable doing the 'face time' with press and fans now that the work was done.

I suppose I'm expecting a level of empathy that most would not, but you decided at that moment that you were no longer a fan?? 'Smatter, didn't get your money's worth?

There could have been a hundred reasons why that was the right moment to leave the stage. Maybe he'd been up for three days working on the project? Maybe he was anxious about the crush of fans at the end of the show and had a car waiting? Maybe he wanted to see the show?

This is not to say you're not entitled to choosing and/or discarding your heros, but I think you might have given him the benefit of the doubt.

Sorry for bumping this - definitely off topic. Peace.

Dan Ash
    White Plains, NY
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1