OT: CC1, Absynth Presets & Whoops!

Author
wrench45us
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4991
2005/08/28 20:32:59 (permalink)

OT: CC1, Absynth Presets & Whoops!

OK, P5 users who also happen to own Absynth

anybody ever notice how P5 resets CC1/Mod Wheel to 0 on any twiddle of the Wheel or stopping track play or switching from editor to track play?

yes it's true,
you might want to change a few factory presest from XY to sliders to see this in action

when CC1 is controlling significant (like a filter) this reset can make a huge differenced in sound -- or like no sound at all

This is obviously some sort of host/Absynth interaction -- and since some hosts like FLStudio don't allow the setting to be modified at all (which isn't exactly an ideal solution is it?)
So I'm assuming this is some sort of designed host decision OR I have some setting I can change that I don't know about. But this action just seems wrong --or at least not quite right
it would be ideal if the Mod Wheel could be twiddled and return to the preset setting and never, ever have a reset based on switching track and editor play, or track play halt.

Any experts on the philosophy of midi CC1 resettting? And why Cakewalk seems to have gone down this path?

5 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: OT: CC1, Absynth Presets & Whoops! 2005/08/28 21:01:51 (permalink)
    And why Cakewalk seems to have gone down this path?
    I'm away from my floating DAW right now, but I believe that P5 sends a Reset All Controllers MIDI message on rewinding to start. I'm not sure that's the case with track switching, bit I'll be sure to check it when my wetware gets wrung out thoroughly.
    gourdjopy
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 540
    RE: OT: CC1, Absynth Presets & Whoops! 2005/08/28 21:10:47 (permalink)
    yep, i've noticed this too. you can always change the midi controller numbers back on the envelopes page; i've effectively eliminated all cc0 messages (strangely, my controller tends to reset the wheel as well, and in any event, i prefer knobs to the tonewheel). but it's still a hassle.
    wrench45us
    RE: OT: CC1, Absynth Presets & Whoops! 2005/08/29 09:12:57 (permalink)

there definitely seems to be something at cross purposes here

the point of assigning a control to the Mod Whel would seem to be to encourage its use
    but if one touches it, it resets to 0 away from the preset setting

the reset on start seems equally destructive of the presets' settings

is this something peculiuar to how Absynth can 'set' a value into CC1 / Mod Wheel?

or would one guess that this is uncommon host behavior ?

something is out of kilter with thius combination -- maybe more.

xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: OT: CC1, Absynth Presets & Whoops! 2005/08/29 10:45:56 (permalink)
    As I pointed out in the email I sent, I think that the way a number of the Absynth patches have the MW control set to a start value other than zero is strange...I haven't noticed this practice in any other synths presets. If the initial value of the preset has the MW at full, then any subsequent movement on a midi keyboard (or P5 sending a midi reset, if that is what it does) will result in a large jump in whatever parameter Absynth has assigned to the MW. It seems like a preset making 'no-no' to have the MW initialised to anything other than zero...
    wrench45us
    RE: OT: CC1, Absynth Presets & Whoops! 2005/08/29 11:30:07 (permalink)

perhaps what this situation lacks is a 'normalize' function

i think there are some synths that do something like this
    you choose a setting and than that becomes the midpoint or zero point for a specific range

the whole thing strikes me as very odd

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1