OT: CQ Ham Radio Operators/Musicians?engineers

Author
Ham N Egz
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15161
2008/12/19 09:49:07 (permalink)

OT: CQ Ham Radio Operators/Musicians?engineers

Whist I was pervuing a thread I saw Jacks response and he includes his ham radio call in his handle.

So I am wondering the correlation between Music and Amateur Radio, either performers or
Engineers(mixing/studio type). There has to be a bind of the left-right brain art science thing..

I know down here several of my fellow musicians are Ham Radio Ops.. and their day gigs are varied..

BTW I have been licensed since 1976 started off as an SWL and BC dxer, presently W5SLU..
post edited by musicman100 - 2008/12/19 12:33:29

Green Acres is the place to be
 I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

8 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: OT: CQ Ham Radio Operators/Musicians?engineers 2008/12/19 09:57:31 (permalink)
    I'm not a HAMM but I've always hung out with that crowd.

If it wasn't for Radio guys we'd all probably all be playing solid state guitar amps... (and amp sims really would sound better than real life).

In my opinion they were the guys that helped us keep the tube amps alive and working in the dark age before tube culture had the renaissance we enjoy today.

best regards,
    mike

wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    RE: OT: CQ Ham Radio Operators/Musicians?engineers 2008/12/19 10:07:20 (permalink)
    There are lots of relationships between the sciences, especially mathematics and physics, and music!

Most here are probably familiar with the tale of one Tom Dowd, if you aren't check out his history...

Slightly less familiar, but back in the mid 1940s the US needed computer programmers. Since they could not go to the local trade school to find them they went instead to orchestras, reportedly the Philadelphia, New York, and Boston orchestras. Music is a symbolic language, so are programming languages...

There are a LOT of ham radio operators in the music business itself, I've had the pleasure of chatting with Bob Heil Joe Walsh, Jim Brown, and many others. There are a couple of lists on the web, but I was unable to find them this morning. Here is one I did find.

Oh, and yes, I am an amateur radio operator. Oddly I first got my novice license back in the early 1970s, but when I discovered guitar I also discovered that most teen-aged members of the fairer sex were far more interested in guitar players, and since I could really only support one habit the license expired<G>! About ten years ago I got hooked again...

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    DonM
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4129
    RE: OT: CQ Ham Radio Operators/Musicians?engineers 2008/12/19 11:35:53 (permalink)
    I'm in the same category as Mike... long time SWL - I have multiple radios , still 'read' 40meters, 80 meters and occasionally 2 meters. In fact my log goes back to July 1972.

-D
    post edited by DonM - 2008/12/19 11:37:40

krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: OT: CQ Ham Radio Operators/Musicians?engineers 2008/12/19 12:20:05 (permalink)
    My dad is a ham. I grew up listening to him sqwauk on his radio. W9OKH is embedded in my brain for the rest of my life.

Interesting story - one of my first clients (a blues band) got a sweet all expenses paid trip to Portugal for some big outdoor music fest. The promoter of this fest was a ham radio guy and was talking to the father of one of the band members one day. The band was rehearsing in the garage and I guess the promoter could hear the band in the background over the radio. One thing led to another and they were offered this trip to perform over there. Ya never know.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    Odieman
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 56
    RE: OT: CQ Ham Radio Operators/Musicians?engineers 2008/12/19 14:07:01 (permalink)
    I was talking with my license examiner and he said the one thing that helped people learn morse code easier was innate musical ability. He had one person learn code up to twelve words per minute in three (!) days. This person is a professional oboe player.

Keith

VE5KIS
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: OT: CQ Ham Radio Operators/Musicians?engineers 2008/12/19 14:19:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

I'm not a HAMM but I've always hung out with that crowd.

best regards,
    mike

Same here, my friends are all mostly geek types and I've done a bunch of electronics work as a hobby. Good move for me... when computers came along we all got into that and have made lots of money since then in the IT industry. Lucky break for me because I didn't have another plan about how to make a living... other then music and we all know how that story ends.

I was going to try to combine everything by looking for a career in the music industry as an engineer. Then I got a copy of Mix magazine in the 90s with a salary survey of those folks... oh $#!% ! I was already making more then some of the top dudes in the studio industry just messing with computers... that was the end of that idea. Advertisers must have just totally freaked out because Mix never did that survey again. LOL !!
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: OT: CQ Ham Radio Operators/Musicians?engineers 2008/12/19 15:23:30 (permalink)
    I haven't CQ'd in almost 30 years, with my good school friend who ran KD6NB (and probably still does). The hobby was going digital back then and frankly, was quickly on its way to losing its mystique imho.

Of course, now we speak with folks the world over right here on the net.

Oh, by the way -- we were both engineering students at the time.
    post edited by kwgm - 2008/12/19 19:37:22

--kwgm
    dcastle
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2623
    RE: OT: CQ Ham Radio Operators/Musicians?engineers 2008/12/19 16:09:13 (permalink)
    I'm WA6SQM — used to be active on 20M with morse code — but not much since cellphones became ubiquitous.

ASUS M3A78 AMD 9950 Quad 2.6G 8GB
    Shure • Rhode • Audio-Technica • Allen&Heath GL2200-24
    MOTU 24i • Presonus Firepod • E-MU 1212m • Zoom H2
    SONAR 2XL-8PE • Sound Forge 1-9 • Audacity 0.1-1.3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1