OT: Delta 1010LT question

Author
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
2008/10/24 04:48:19 (permalink)

OT: Delta 1010LT question

Hi guys,

Sorry to post an OT here, but I'm grasping at straws here...and if you guys don't know the answer to this, no one will as far as I'm concerned. :)

I talked my bud into buying Sonar 8. He also needed a soundcard and I thought the Delta 1010LT would be a good bang for the buck card that would give him some decent results. He's not trying to be a pro engineer or anything, he just wants decent recordings and better than Sh!tBlaster sound.

So he got everything, but he can't seem to get enough level out of the 1010 no matter what he tries to do. All his Windows mixer levels are jacked, he's got the card at +4dB....it's just not giving him any level on any channel. I asked him to give me some specs and this is what he reported.

Guitar Gear: Digitech RP350 Amp Modeler pedal, an out is going out on a guitar cable, being split with an adaptor into left/right RCA cable, and then going in on inputs 5/6 (it was 3/4 originally, but I switched it to see if going in on another pair fixed the problem).

The exact problem is, my input signal is low, when I record in any DAW, I can barely hear my guitar. I have my pedal volume turned all the way up, and the input on the control panel is too. On my previous computer, the exact same setup worked fine and was actually a bit too loud.

My audio card is still set to all the default settings, as I haven't had time to tweak anything since I've been working on simply getting sound into my computer. I'm pretty sure the default settings are something like 44100 sample rate, locked internal. I don't don't really remember the other stuff as I'm at work and away from my computer right now.

My operating system is Vista 64-bit on a brand new pc. (he didn't list the specs but that shouldn't matter for low input.)

So do you guys have any ideas I may be able to tell him to try? To my knowledge, he shouldn't need a pre-amp to push his levels up with a card like this, should he? I mean I know a pre-amp is helpful to everyone, but is it something that is needed with this card? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone. I figured someone here must have or HAD this card and may have had these same issues. :)

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester

9 Replies Related Threads

thebiglongy
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 502
    RE: OT: Delta 1010LT question 2008/10/24 06:44:37 (permalink)
    1. Make sure he has the latest drivers for it
    2. Does he have Input echo enabled so he can hear what is going in?
    3. Does he have an XP or Vista 32bit to test it on to see if it is the drivers?
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: OT: Delta 1010LT question 2008/10/24 07:00:39 (permalink)
    Well, at first glance it may be the old reverse logic thing.

If he has the input on the Delta set to +4dBu then that is in anticipation of a HOT signal coming down the line. +4dBu would be the nominal peak and the circuit will allow for some specified amount of headroom as well. The spec might be "clipping occurs at +16dBu" or something like that.

So if the signal getting to the Delta is too low then the +4dBu input may be inappropriate. Perhaps select an input setting that is designed for lower levels?

The Digitech pedal is meant to feed a guitar amp... that's nowhere near a +4dBu spec. Off hand I don't recall what instrument level is in dBu. The digitech will be putting out a relatively hot instrument level... anything more and it would blow out the preamp of a guitar amp.

The Y split is dropping the signal 3dB unless you are using a transformer with a 1:2 step up.

There is also the possibility of impedance incompatibility... but the Digi should be buffering that so save that for last.

best regards,
    mike

edit spelling
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2008/10/24 07:04:26

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    RE: OT: Delta 1010LT question 2008/10/24 09:58:01 (permalink)
    Thanks guys, I'll pass this stuff onto him. I talked to him a few hours ago and he told me that M-Audio has new drivers that are coming out to supposedly fix the issue. But in the meantime if any of you have other things to try, that would rule. Thanks again. :)

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    FirmamentFX
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: OT: Delta 1010LT question 2008/10/24 11:30:51 (permalink)
    I have no problems with my 1010 (not the LT version) - but each input/output has a +4/-10 switch on it. Does the LT have those?

I have never been to fond of the M-Audio/64-bit combination though... Their drivers have left a lot to be desired on x64 in the past.

M
    sven450
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 945
    RE: OT: Delta 1010LT question 2008/10/24 11:33:21 (permalink)
    I was a long time M-Audio 2496 guy and I remember NOT setting it to +4db. Coincidentally, for a while with the 2496 I was using a digitech modeler thing too, and had no problems getting it hot enough....

I also would try not splitting the signal.

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
    Roland Octa-Capture            
    Win 10 
    i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
    Some songs
    Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
    Originals:
     https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals
    JavaMan
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 372
    RE: OT: Delta 1010LT question 2008/10/24 11:34:52 (permalink)
    Hey Dan,

I own the 1010LT and have had it since Sonar 4PE, now i am on Sonar 8 PE and the 1010lt is working fine. It's probably a slight oversight with your buddy's set-up that is causing the level issue. Really need to open up the control panel of the 1010lt and go through all the set-up controls with a fine tooth comb.
    Tom Riggs
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1752
    RE: OT: Delta 1010LT question 2008/10/24 13:32:41 (permalink)
    as the others have mentioned it is probably the line level setting in the delta panel. a setting of +10 will get the hottest signal.
    You mention that he is running vista 64. I am as well and only because I found the leaked 64 bit beta drivers for vista on the internet. M-Audo has not officially released the drives yet. Not sure why because the have worked perfectly for me.

Hope he gets this all working. I have enjoyed my delta card and will be sad when it finally quits.

i7-3770k OC at 4.5Ghz, asus p8z77-m, 16g g.skill aries 1600 c9 ram, Noctua d-14 cooler, RME HDSPe Raydat, Motu FastLane, Nvidea GTX 980 ti 6G, windows 7 and 8.1 pro x64. Sonar Platinum and x3e currently installed

My Music 
    My YouTube

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: OT: Delta 1010LT question 2008/10/24 16:36:14 (permalink)
    Tom, you can get them if you sign up for their beta program.. on the drivers page there's a link

to me it's a bit silly in the sense of it's a driver.. what the heck would people be doing with it if they didn't have the card... same goes with anyone else who makes hardware, some force you to register.. in some cases I understand why... BUT not in all cases, just seems like an information gathering exercise.

Tom Riggs
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1752
    RE: OT: Delta 1010LT question 2008/10/24 20:39:20 (permalink)
    Yes I have seen the sign up form. I also read what they want you to commit to in terms of time etc. I read that a few months ago. Signing up is probably the most appropriate way to get them but I chose not to go that route. Afterall they are just drivers for hardware I have already purchased.

I also saw that they were supposed to release it this last Sept. but they postponed it for some reason. Anyway I saw a post about someone else using the leaked drivers and did a Google search. It did not take long to locate a link to the download. Any way the drivers report the same version as the newest 32 bit drivers and are about 6 month old. They work great as far as I can tell.

i7-3770k OC at 4.5Ghz, asus p8z77-m, 16g g.skill aries 1600 c9 ram, Noctua d-14 cooler, RME HDSPe Raydat, Motu FastLane, Nvidea GTX 980 ti 6G, windows 7 and 8.1 pro x64. Sonar Platinum and x3e currently installed

My Music 
    My YouTube

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1