OT: External DVD-R drives?

Author
grandpa mojo
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 976
2005/12/08 15:19:20 (permalink)

OT: External DVD-R drives?

Hey Guys,

Anyone use an external DVD recorder? I've got reams of data I need to back up on my audio computer and my multimedia computer and was hoping I could use one Firewire-enabled DVD-R to back up from both.

Any suggestions on brands, features, etc.?

What are your thoughts on the Light Scribe functionality?

Thanks in advance,

Grandpa Mojo
www.grandpamojo.com

EDIT: My wife wants me to spell "reams" right... *sigh*
post edited by grandpa mojo - 2005/12/09 19:54:26

8 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: OT: External DVD-R drives? 2005/12/08 15:24:42 (permalink)
    I've got reems of data I need to back up on my audio computer and my multimedia computer and was hoping I could use one Firewire-enabled DVD-R to back up from both.
    Nice try, Chris. Now I know why you were discouraging everyone on the practicalities of third-party P5 documentation.

I smell a Project5 DVD in the works ...
    jmeredith
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 174
    RE: OT: External DVD-R drives? 2005/12/08 15:35:43 (permalink)
    Plextor PX-716UF

One at home, one at work, one in the backpack - all work like a charm

(just don't get the red one )
    Paradroid
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: OT: External DVD-R drives? 2005/12/08 16:17:07 (permalink)
    Plextor PX-716UF

Yeah, I'll vouch for Plextor too. Top hardware (esp. if you wanna be ripping audio CDs with Exact Audio Copy and the like). Costs extra dosh though…
    grandpa mojo
    RE: OT: External DVD-R drives? 2005/12/08 18:55:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock
    I smell a Project5 DVD in the works ...

Oh HELL no! - I just have over 100 Gigs of material that need to be REMOVED for the time being (off each machine mind you!)

... and YES I have truly checked through all of it... it IS stuff I want and need to keep!

- Grandpa Mojo
    www.grandpamojo.com

wgcabp
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1171
    RE: OT: External DVD-R drives? 2005/12/09 00:38:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: grandpa mojo
    I just have over 100 Gigs of material that need to be REMOVED for the time being (off each machine mind you!)

Mojo,

I KNOW this is not what you were looking for but...

If you have THAT MUCH data laying around consider this:

I'll bet you have a spare box laying around somewhere. Stick a Linux distro on it and use it as a fileserver. Here's my logic.

The upside:

It doesn't have to be a flashy box. You could get by with a PIII as long as it has a board that will support modern UDMA
    standards or you could use a PCI card for UDMA 100/133. Really the only other thing you need in the box is an ethernet card and
    at least 512MB of RAM. Couple hundred GB of drive space, would be nice if the case had enough exansion room for more drives if
    you wanted. You could set it up so you can run headless, or use the motherboard's onboard video or a cheap video card with an
    old cheap monitor.

Some linux distros are really for tweakers and geeks, others are so easy my mother could install it. Once it's up and running
    nothing short of a natural disaster will bring it down.

You can share files with your Windows boxes EASILY with Samba, almost all good linux distros come with it and it's very easy to
    set up.

You can toss just about any kind of data on there and it's not going to get mangled. Rarely does a linux distro get its panties
    in a wad over MIME types.

You won't believe how fast it is and how quickly you can get to your archived data.

The OS is FREE. And most linux distros are maintained by highly motivated linux evangelists that are constantly improving the
    system.

The downside:

If you know nothing about linux then you will have to go with a slightly more bloated distro like Fedora.

You might blow most of a day setting it up if you're in unfamiliar territory.

When I saw how much data you wanted to archive this is where my head went. Then again, I'm a linux geek from way back so it's
    probably not what you wanted to hear. Just thought I'd toss it out there...

WC

grandpa mojo
    RE: OT: External DVD-R drives? 2005/12/09 01:00:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wgcabp
    ...Linux distro on it and use it as a fileserver.

Hey!!!... you know... I never considered that! - and I've always wanted to mess around with Linux anyway. - And I use Samba at work at Sun Microsystems anyway!

What flavor of Linux do you recommend? - I have a 4-port switcher that shares a monitor, mouse and keyboard between my multimedia computer and my audio computer... Could I slip a Linux box in on that too?

- Grandpa Mojo
    www.grandpamojo.com

EDIT: Just thought of this... Anybody do any turnkey systems like this?
    post edited by grandpa mojo - 2005/12/09 01:02:30
    wgcabp
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1171
    RE: OT: External DVD-R drives? 2005/12/09 09:40:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: grandpa mojo
    ... I never considered that! - and I've always wanted to mess around with Linux anyway...

Hey Chris...I'll send you a mail with many more details when I have time to write. Over the weekend sometime or maybe Monday.

In short, if you've never done this before, you probably want a distro that does most of the install work for you. I recommend Fedora in that respect.

If you want to get your hands dirty and really get geeky, well, I use Gentoo. It's not for the feint of heart, but once it's up and running it's the most stable thing I've ever seen. AND there are so many options that if you want to play around you will never run out of things to do.

A site where you can find the homepages of the most popular linux distos, give a short review of the system and even download the ISO installers is HERE

There is a distro that runs entirely off of bootable CD called Knoppix. You can download and burn the ISO, boot it up from the CD on one of your Windows boxes and see what a KDE-based linux distro looks like and play around for a bit. You can boot from this CD on any of your Windows boxes and it will not hurt a thing, promise.

Lots of people use KVM switches to control their various boxes with different rates of success. It really depends on the distro.

As far as turnkey systems, yes, people do that. Best place to read a bit more about that is HERE.

Sorry don't have more time, will get back to you on this via private mail.

WC

grandpa mojo
    RE: OT: External DVD-R drives? 2005/12/09 11:36:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wgcabp

Sorry don't have more time, will get back to you on this via private mail.

Sweet! Thanks!

- GM
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1