OT: GUITAR PICKUPS REPLACEMENT..sorry

Author
neonknight
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 473
2005/12/07 10:50:20 (permalink)

OT: GUITAR PICKUPS REPLACEMENT..sorry

I would like to replace the stupid Inf pickups on my brand new Ibanez RG 350EX-BK..
a pretty good guitar for the money with ****ty pickups..But I bought it knowing I will be replacing them anyway...I liked the guitar, it suits my playing habits...
I am buying Seymour Duncans tonight and I am going to be replacing them myself...
is this difficult to do? Could those of you who have done this before please give me some tips...it shouldn't be that hard, right?
any help appreciated
post edited by neonknight - 2005/12/07 10:53:24

8 Replies Related Threads

netstat
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 323
    RE: OT: GUITAR PICKUPS REPLACEMENT..sorry 2005/12/07 11:25:35 (permalink)
    Should be a pretty straight forward replacement, unless you have push/pull coil taps and/or phase options.

Mahalo, Jan
    Mr Scary
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 613
    RE: OT: GUITAR PICKUPS REPLACEMENT..sorry 2005/12/07 11:51:08 (permalink)
    When soldering, make sure your iron stays on the pots for a olittle while before applying the solder. This will help to ensure that your solder does not result with a "cold" connection. Let that baby get hot!
    neonknight
    RE: OT: GUITAR PICKUPS REPLACEMENT..sorry 2005/12/07 12:00:36 (permalink)
    thanks guys, I bought myself an SH-4 Seymour Duncan..it should sound much better than the INF pickups..
    first I am going to replace the bridge humbucker and then the other 2 when I figure out what I want
    any suggestions?
    thanks

neonknight
    RE: OT: GUITAR PICKUPS REPLACEMENT..sorry 2005/12/07 14:06:52 (permalink)
    if anyone has the nerves to read this and maybe help I would be grateful
    the Infinity pickup that I removed from my Ibanez was connected with a red and a white wire...the balck was ground..
    however, on my Seymur Duncan, the red and white wires were isolated and removed /no function/
    instead, the was a green wire /and of course the black one/
    so I removed the green wire, took the red and white ones and connected them the same as the Ibanez pickup was connec ted
    and it works!
    but what the hell did I do
    what's the green wire for?
    thanks

Daddy?!
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 202
    RE: OT: GUITAR PICKUPS REPLACEMENT..sorry 2005/12/07 15:30:11 (permalink)

I just re-wired a Seymour Duncan TB-12 (George Lynch Screamin' Demon) in last night. A color blind electronics genius buddy of mine accidentally mis-wired it (couldn't tell the colors), so I redid it. I connected the green wire to the wire that connects most everything (comprehensive) ground is connected to this too for both pickups. Try it - my configuration is the Carvin DC127 with 2 humbuckers and coil taps for each. Good luck, I hate having to do stuff like this.

PCAudioLabs Rok Box CR 3, 8GB RAM (DDR3-1600 Dual Channel), AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo), RME Fireface 802, Yamaha Motif 7, Mackie HR824, Mackie 1604 VLZ-Pro

www.threemachine.com
    neonknight
    RE: OT: GUITAR PICKUPS REPLACEMENT..sorry 2005/12/07 19:55:47 (permalink)
    thanks!
    But I am really confused now
    I look at the schematics on seymourduncan.com and I realised I made a mistake
    But I get the sound...and a good one!
    I will try on the seymourduncan forum as well...
    I hate this stuff...give me a guitar and let me play, let someone else do the electronics....Which is exactly what I am going to do if I have to take off the pickguard again to make changes...

bill durham
    • Total Posts : 460
    RE: OT: GUITAR PICKUPS REPLACEMENT..sorry 2005/12/07 23:20:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: neonknight

if anyone has the nerves to read this and maybe help I would be grateful
    the Infinity pickup that I removed from my Ibanez was connected with a red and a white wire...the balck was ground..
    however, on my Seymur Duncan, the red and white wires were isolated and removed /no function/
    instead, the was a green wire /and of course the black one/
    so I removed the green wire, took the red and white ones and connected them the same as the Ibanez pickup was connec ted
    and it works!
    but what the hell did I do
    thanks

I don't think that you have it wired properly for a real humbucking setup. I checked the Seymour Duncan site and here is what you need to do.

Solder the Red and White wires together and cover the joint up with electrical tape. Solder the Green wire to ground..in a Les Paul, that would be to the outer shell of the volume control the pickup is connecting to. Solder the Black Wire to the volume pot connection that is opposite the one that is soldered to ground. As suggested before, make sure that you keep the soldering iron on there long enough to make the solder flow.

Good luck.

BD

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/4/bdandfriends_music.htm

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/billdurham_music.htm
    neonknight
    RE: OT: GUITAR PICKUPS REPLACEMENT..sorry 2005/12/08 03:20:16 (permalink)
    Thanks Bill..!
    But I am taking it to someone who knows what he's doing
    I get instant headache when I think about taking off that pickguard again, removing the strings etc..
    thanks for your time!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1