OT Help Needed - What BANDS Do We Sound Like?

Author
spindlebox
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2645
2008/11/09 18:48:23 (permalink)

OT Help Needed - What BANDS Do We Sound Like?

Hello, for those of you who have listened to some of my stuff this might be easy, and for others I would ask that you give a brief listen if you can spare the time. You can click our banner link below to find a music player on our homepage.

I'm starting a marketing campaign directed towards listeners of bands we sound like. Whether we all like to think we're original or not, there are elements that each one of us produce which is reminiscent of others work.

I'm asking for opinions on who our stuff reminds you of, so I can focus my efforts.

I REALLY appreciate any efforts you all are willing to give. It is just SO difficult to do this for yourself objectively.

Thanks in advance.
post edited by spindlebox - 2008/11/10 00:45:52

15 Replies Related Threads

mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: OT Help Needed - What Do We Sound Like? 2008/11/09 19:00:09 (permalink)
    Fields of the Nephilim, Anathema, Elend (from a metal perspective) - but i don't really keep up with the gothic rock market - http://musicmoz.org/Record_Labels/By_Style/Gothic_Rock/ might be useful list of people to contact

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    spindlebox
    RE: OT Help Needed - What Do We Sound Like? 2008/11/09 20:18:56 (permalink)
    Cool! That helps. I've actually played with Fields of the Nephilim before, but have never heard of the other 2 you mentioned. I'll check them out!!! Thank you.

Anyone else!?

Ian Ferrin
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: OT Help Needed - What Do We Sound Like? 2008/11/10 00:24:13 (permalink)
    I listened to at least parts of every tune in your player. I don't know if I'm current enough to give you band names, but to me it sounded like you have 2 different kind of tunes... more keyboard dominated tunes and more guitar dominated tunes. The keyboard tunes are definitely mellower. Most of the guitar tunes use a heavy metal/gothic type sound? With the combination of these two sounds, to my ears, you're more in the alternative rock category than anything else.... but man, it's tough.

I guess I'm not much help. You've got a good image, and if you're the vocalist, you sound just fine to me.

After pondering a bit more, I guess I have to say I'm not sure you've got 'a sound' yet?... Recently I sampled the new Staind album on itunes... tune after tune, they had a remarkably cohesive, identifiable sound... basically pretty simple guitar tunes with really great melodies, all mixed similarly. You've got a way more eclectic sound... In terms of being eclectic... I know that generally record companies don't like eclectic. As musicians we want to showcase everything we can do, but unfortunately the business of music world wants a 'product'. If you really want to make a living at this, I really advise that you'll probably have to give 'em a 'product' if you want to take it to the next level.

You've got a lot of good stuff here... keep plugging.

Peace,

Ian

"Everyone is a 'believer' - even if you don't believe, that's a belief" - Me

Songs - (at soundclick)
    Sonar Platinum, Native Instruments Komplete 10u, Korg N1R X2 (for some reason I still love this old synth).
    spindlebox
    RE: OT Help Needed - What Do We Sound Like? 2008/11/10 00:46:24 (permalink)
    I know that generally record companies don't like eclectic. As musicians we want to showcase everything we can do, but unfortunately the business of music world wants a 'product'. If you really want to make a living at this, I really advise that you'll probably have to give 'em a 'product' if you want to take it to the next level.

Thank you for your opinion, though it's OT with the point of the thread; it's probably my fault so I changed the title and included BANDS to avoid confusion.

We have our own record company, so we're not after creating a "product" for record company consumption, but for consumer consumption. We're finding that our listeners/fans aren't having a problem with it. I guess that's icing on the cake.

Again, thank you for your time and thought in the matter.
    post edited by spindlebox - 2008/11/10 00:47:18

Ian Ferrin
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: OT Help Needed - What Do We Sound Like? 2008/11/10 02:31:16 (permalink)
    Thank you for your opinion, though it's OT with the point of the thread; it's probably my fault so I changed the title and included BANDS to avoid confusion.

We have our own record company, so we're not after creating a "product" for record company consumption, but for consumer consumption. We're finding that our listeners/fans aren't having a problem with it. I guess that's icing on the cake.

Again, thank you for your time and thought in the matter.

Sorry about that... I misunderstood... No Problem.

Peace,

Ian
    post edited by Ian Ferrin - 2008/11/10 08:32:56

"Everyone is a 'believer' - even if you don't believe, that's a belief" - Me

Songs - (at soundclick)
    Sonar Platinum, Native Instruments Komplete 10u, Korg N1R X2 (for some reason I still love this old synth).
    spindlebox
    RE: OT Help Needed - What Do We Sound Like? 2008/11/10 16:08:09 (permalink)
    Anyone else?

Please don't say ABBA! (Though their money wouldn't be bad . . . )

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: OT Help Needed - What Do We Sound Like? 2008/11/10 16:34:22 (permalink)
    Smashing Pumpkins comes to mind.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: OT Help Needed - What Do We Sound Like? 2008/11/10 17:31:44 (permalink)
    To me you kind of sound like Duran Duran meets Garbage. That's the closest I can come up with!!

The band Garbage, by the way...

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone
    post edited by dlogan - 2008/11/10 17:32:21
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: OT Help Needed - What Do We Sound Like? 2008/11/10 19:04:18 (permalink)
    Yeah, I'd guess that I definitely hear a "Fields of the Nephilim" influence and I would add that some of it (musically, at least) reminds me of some of the more recent Clan of Xymox stuff, as well as The Cruxshadows, and even some of Bauhaus' and the Mission UK's stuff (they're both influences, aren't they? ).

edit: oops, that's just "The Mission" for our UK friends, isn't it?
    post edited by cryophonik - 2008/11/10 19:05:50

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

spindlebox
    RE: OT Help Needed - What Do We Sound Like? 2008/11/10 20:18:50 (permalink)
    Wow, some interesting comparisons! I'm really glad I asked this. Perception is so subjective.

Loving the Smashing Pumpkins comparison. I love them. The rest, ahhh I've heard a long time ago and don't even remember what they sound like . . .

OR DO I?

This should give me a REALLY great start. I REALLY appreciate your time and opinions all. Thank you SOOOO much.

Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    RE: OT Help Needed - What Do We Sound Like? 2008/11/11 08:22:20 (permalink)
    Hey spin, I'm totally out of touch with what's mod these days (my use of the word "mod" might be a tip off ) so my opinion may not be very useful from a marketing point of view. But I'll give it a shot!

I sense a cool Cure vibe, like in "Broken Heart of a Winter Night". The heavier stuff reminds me of Evanescence or maybe Tool, but your smooth vocal makes a really interesting switcheroo. It takes me back to Simple Minds or like Dlogan said, Duran Duran (their later stuff when they brought his solo voice up front). There was also a band from Scotland called "GUN" which comes to mind... they had one USA hit called "Better Days" back in the late 80s.

That's so cool that you're your own record label. All the best artists are doing that these days. Power to the artists, not the suits!!

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    spindlebox
    RE: OT Help Needed - What Do We Sound Like? 2008/11/11 08:34:24 (permalink)
    Duck!

Sweet thanks for that. Again this has been so helpful. In case anyone cares, what I'm doing (following advice in Bob Baker's - Myspace Music Marketing) is going to these comparative bands' websites and am fishing through the comments section. I'm adding people that sound like they're really into the music or have better comments than "HORNS UP" or "YOU ROCK" or "THANKS FOR THE ADD".

I've increased my friend count by 100 in the last 24 hours and have made some great contacts! Also, these are people that actually LISTEN TO and BUY music, instead of just haunt the forums. So quality as well as quantity. My goal is to get to +1000 by the end of the month. I've heard that this is a minimum number for your site to almost go "VIRAL", which would be a good thing. Then I can be sure the bulletins and announcements I send out will be making some more headway. We have a lot going on and I just want to get it to as many people as possible.

This has been a great excercise, and I really appreciate your unbiased opinions! You've given me some comparisons I wouldn't EVER have thought of!!!

And YES, the DIY route is the way to go. The label I was on tried to screw with us by putting our release back a few months, etc., so I got pissed and had them drop us (there was a clause in the contract for that); I haven't looked back since, and we're selling our own stuff and taking control of our own future - not to mention we've signed a British lass - Kayl Black - that kicks butt!!!!!

Sincerest thanks!

Freeze1st
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1213
    RE: OT Help Needed - What BANDS Do We Sound Like? 2008/11/11 22:42:31 (permalink)
    I'm kinda confused as to what your question really means. I mean are you trying to get more commercialized as to how your writing of songs and production are? Or are you trying to get a feel as to what others think you sound like in comparison?

Sorry, but I think you need to keep the same vibe you have going now, although I like the heavy sounding stuff best. JMO.....

Just keep your tunes simple and you'll be fine, the complex rythms aren't always understood by a lot of people who don't understand the Genre of music you are playing. JMO. I get it..........

Who am I to give advice though, I mean, "WHAT HAVE I DONE". Just thought I would add that for one thing I play a lot of the kinda music that you are playing and even though I am not a pro like you, I thought I would mention that I do have ideas and a set of ears and I think that's all it takes to move forward in any Genre of music. JMO......... I hope this helps........ Jmo's................

No Pun. Intended...........

Bobby

Freeze1st

MC4,Bossbr1600,Maudio2496,Vista HP, Stinger Electric Guitar,New York Pro Bass, MXL V67
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: OT Help Needed - What BANDS Do We Sound Like? 2008/11/11 23:18:18 (permalink)
    0.00002 cents:

All of us compare each other to genres and band-names (identifying with band names seem irrelevent for an identity crisis).
    To me "Alice" is edgy, non-pop, and predictably steroidal.

Thus, IMHO, its stereotypical of Progressive hard-rock and possibly "Tamed-Punk" genre. There seems greater emphasis on stronger guitar and drum routines than bawdy punk vox-rebellion (in Alice)

Alternative genre might encompass more experimental, unpredictable, non-rock, cacophonic, expressionistic music, methinks. JMO

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    spindlebox
    RE: OT Help Needed - What BANDS Do We Sound Like? 2008/11/12 07:31:01 (permalink)
    I'm kinda confused as to what your question really means.

Hey Bobby, it's not a complicated one - and the other responses above (band names) and my response in post #13 (first paragraph) is pretty much the crux of it.

I'm not changing anything. I'm basically asking, what does this remind you of? Just so I can appeal to those with similar tastes. It's working great too! I've increased my fan exposure by 50% so far. Thanks!

Philip: Thank you. I'm not really sure what this means, and it's a bit OT, but thank you for taking the time to chime in!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1