OT: Help identifying John Lee's studio furniture?

Author
stickman393
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1528
2010/06/13 18:05:10 (permalink)

OT: Help identifying John Lee's studio furniture?

Please excuse the some-what off-topic nature of this post, but a lot of sharp folks visit here and someone may have the info I'm looking for.

Below is three screenshots from a video on the Cakewalk YouTube channel. It's John Lee of Langley productions talking about how he uses SONAR in his work. My interest is in the studio furniture he's using. It looks like something I've been looking for but haven't been able to find: A "normal" desk with a recessed low-slung keyboard controller shelf.

My first thought was that the keyboard was sitting on a pull-out tray under the desk top, but in the angle view from the left, it might be that the desk does not have any specific keyboard ledge, but that the keyboard is sitting on an independent stand located under the desk.

What do you folks think? If this is a commercially available desk, any links to manufacturers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

8 Replies Related Threads

...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    Re:OT: Help identifying John Lee's studio furniture? 2010/06/13 18:37:40 (permalink)
    The desk he's using is an IKEA office desk. I have the same on in my studio. Here's a tiny peek at it under my new studio-reorg:

His keyboard looks like it's on a sawhorse or similar type keyboard stand. A great idea actually, since he can stow it when he's doing more editing work.  

How he keeps his computer keyboards organized is beyond me, tho I love the secondary table with is graphics tablet on it.

(On second thought, maybe it's not IKEA, as I can't find it on there. I got mine at a fire sale for an out of business dot com. Herman Miller maybe?)

I have a articulated pull out stand for my computer keyboard on mine that came with the desk... but those things are strangely expensive.  Build you own, you won't regret it.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Amazed
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 459
    Re:OT: Help identifying John Lee's studio furniture? 2010/06/13 22:52:24 (permalink)
    Sorry to say but I don't think it works well anyway. Look how he's forced to drop his chair height to clear the ivories with his knees and then check out the height of his elbows compared to the table top. Hes way too low for comfort. I tried that for a long time but eventually worked out that by putting the ivories and the pc keyboard on the same surface things work out much better.  I just placed the pc keyboard right in front of my ivories. Now that I can get the chair height I can reach over the pc keyboard to play the ivories very easily. The monitor height thing took me a long time too.  My latest plan worked a treat. An inverted plastic flowerpot filled with concrete with a 2 * 1 steel pole planted in it. I cable tied a vesa mount to the steel pole and stuck it behind my work surface. Its great.

Post Message

Dave Allison
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 346
    Re:OT: Help identifying John Lee's studio furniture? 2010/06/14 00:39:06 (permalink)
    The keyboard looks like it's on a Z stand.

http://www.quiklok.com/ca...uct=96&sName=Z-716

Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Motu 24I/O

Sonar 8.5 Producer, Pro-Tools 9, Avid Media Composer, Melodyne.
    stickman393
    Re:OT: Help identifying John Lee's studio furniture? 2010/06/14 03:09:50 (permalink)
    So the desk is probably raised higher than normal, because the lowest a Z-stand will go is 26" which I think is too high to fit under a standard desk. 

This makes sense, actually. Hmm. It would be easy enough to create some leg extenders for my current desk, raising it up, say, 4 or 5 inches. That might work quite well. Cheap too.
    Dave Allison
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 346
    Re:OT: Help identifying John Lee's studio furniture? 2010/06/14 03:43:21 (permalink)
    or maybe the keyboard stand has been modified to make it a bit lower ?

It seems to have an extra brace at the bottom join
    (or maybe it's not a Quik-Lok)

Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Motu 24I/O

Sonar 8.5 Producer, Pro-Tools 9, Avid Media Composer, Melodyne.
    stickman393
    Re:OT: Help identifying John Lee's studio furniture? 2010/09/04 18:25:31 (permalink)
    For those who may be interested, I ended up building my own studio desk.
    I have detailed that project on another forum. You are welcome to go take a look.
    digimidi
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    Re:OT: Help identifying John Lee's studio furniture? 2010/09/05 14:31:08 (permalink)
    Thanks for posting your link, Stick!

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left... 
    http://daveowenmusic.com/
    http://fabulous52s.com/
    https://soundcloud.com/daveowenmusic

Sonar Platinum Edition/Cakewalk by BandLab: Dell 8700 XPS i7 16GB RAM, Cyberpower laptop w/8GB RAM/i7/2GB NVidia card/Tascam US1641/Focusrite 18i6/Melodyne Studio 4/Waves Plugs (a lot)/Garritan/EWQL Symphony Silver & Fab 4 and a bunch of other stuff. Studio One 3/Magix Samplitude Pro X3 Suite/Mixcraft 8 Pro/Reaper/Acid Pro 8
    DavidBrown99
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 75
    Re:OT: Help identifying John Lee's studio furniture? 2010/11/18 11:15:15 (permalink)
    Those tables are standard work and engineering tables in the manufacturing industry.  They crank up and down.  No mod required for the Z-stand under the keyboard, just crank the table up.  The tables are strong and the crank mechanism can raise the table while fully loaded.  Some even have electric motors on them.  Many many manufacturers of these types of tables and they have many uses.  examples of the diversity below.  They are all expensive, and identifying the table in the picture would be difficult.  You could just ask him :-)
    https://www.schooloutfitters.com/catalog/product_info/pfam_id/PFAM9120/products_id/PRO22781?sc_cid=become.com_HAU-4327
    http://www.flameengineering.com/Benches_Standard.html
    http://www.rehaboutlet.com/work_tables.htm
    I found two of them at a manufacturing plant surplus sale for $50 each.  They were ugly and beat up because they were assembling and repairing electronics on them.  I put a new top on them and they work just fine!  It's the mechanism below that's expensive, the tops were about $35 more dollars each. 
    post edited by DavidBrown99 - 2010/11/18 11:24:13
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1