OT - Jamstix + BFD

Author
D K
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1237
2007/06/22 17:24:43 (permalink)

OT - Jamstix + BFD

I have been a longtime user of Jamstix and love the program. Yesterday, due to some good fortune I was able to get BFD for a ridiculous price so I "had to jump on it

Anyway - How come none of my fellow Sonarites told me how slammin BFD is!! OK - Just joking - a quick search will yield a ton of info on it. Anyway - This thing sounds incredible.

Since I have never really worked with a "real Kit" before - I'm looking for some good tips from some of you guys - I have gone thru the tutorials at the fxpansion site (very good) - guess I am looking for any nuggets that are Sonar specific like - Routing set ups, buss structure ( I assume most are using BFD ALL?). This is quite a bit different for me as i am used to getting everything on it's own channel - never worked with top/bottom snare mics or in/out kick mics before - seems to me like this is more structured around direct,room,pzm, overheads - not necessarily individual drums-correct?)

Anyway - any tips, etc are wanted

Tks

www.ateliersound.com

ADK Custom  I7-2600 K
Win 7 64bit /8 Gig Ram/WD-Seagate Drives(x3)
Sonar 8.5.3 (32bit)/Sonar X3b(64bit)/Pro Tools 9
Lavry Blue/Black Lion Audio Mod Tango 24/RME Hammerfall Multiface II/UAD Duo

5 Replies Related Threads

mcl
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 95
    RE: OT - Jamstix + BFD 2007/06/22 17:28:10 (permalink)
    jealous...

Mike CL
    jayhill
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 578
    RE: OT - Jamstix + BFD 2007/06/22 17:36:12 (permalink)
    ( I assume most are using BFD ALL?)

I use BFD Ultra myself.

I'm assuming you've read thru the "Mixing with BFD" publication that fxpansion has....it has some good examples.

I added the BFD Jazz & Funk expansion kit a year ago and that, IMO, takes the sound to yet another level.

You made a great purchase.

Jeff
    LionSound
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3616
    RE: OT - Jamstix + BFD 2007/06/22 17:36:20 (permalink)
    Hi DK,

Nice to hear you are expanding your soft synth library. Welcome to the BFD addiction! Once you work with the core app for a bit you're going to want the other 100gigs or so in expansion libraries. Be warned!

Anyways, good thing we're using Sonar because it's bussing architechture is perfect for crazy multi-out sysnths like BFD. Here's how I rout my mine.

1. Open BFD ALL from Sonar's Synth Rack (I always use BFD ALL. However, if you want to load more than one kit, simply use BFD Ultra and just double the routing below.)

2. Within the Synth Rack's popup dialog box, choose ALL AUDIO OUTPUTS, so each virtual output from BFD is sent to it's own audio track within Sonar.

3. Rename each audio track to a simpler name, like Kick, Snare, etc. (default names are lengthy and can be confusing).

4. Open up SIX busses in Sonar and name them as follows ...

Drums Master
    Kick
    Snare
    Toms
    Cymbals
    Mics

5. Rout each BFD Audio Track to the appropriate bus (none should be going to Drums Master).

6. Rout each Drum Bus to the Drums Master bus (some people don't use a Drums Master bus, but I find it useful).

Now you've got each BFD sound routed to it's own bus. It's much easier to mix the sounds now as they are condensed down from many audio tracks to 6 easy busses.

www.soundclick.com/lionsound

FirstStrike 1.2 IS RELEASED! www.fsmod.com
    D K
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1237
    RE: OT - Jamstix + BFD 2007/06/22 17:40:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: LionSound

Hi DK,

Nice to hear you are expanding your soft synth library. Welcome to the BFD addiction! Once you work with the core app for a bit you're going to want the other 100gigs or so in expansion libraries. Be warned!

Anyways, good thing we're using Sonar because it's bussing architechture is perfect for crazy multi-out sysnths like BFD. Here's how I rout my mine.

1. Open BFD ALL from Sonar's Synth Rack (I always use BFD ALL. However, if you want to load more than one kit, simply use BFD Ultra and just double the routing below.)

2. Within the Synth Rack's popup dialog box, choose ALL AUDIO OUTPUTS, so each virtual output from BFD is sent to it's own audio track within Sonar.

3. Rename each audio track to a simpler name, like Kick, Snare, etc. (default names are lengthy and can be confusing).

4. Open up SIX busses in Sonar and name them as follows ...

Drums Master
    Kick
    Snare
    Toms
    Cymbals
    Mics

5. Rout each BFD Audio Track to the appropriate bus (none should be going to Drums Master).

6. Rout each Drum Bus to the Drums Master bus (some people don't use a Drums Master bus, but I find it useful).

Now you've got each BFD sound routed to it's own bus. It's much easier to mix the sounds now as they are condensed down from many audio tracks to 6 easy busses.

Very, Very nice Lionsound - Exactly the kind of stuff i was looking for !!

I assume you probably have this in a template dedicated to BFD/drums?

www.ateliersound.com

ADK Custom  I7-2600 K
    Win 7 64bit /8 Gig Ram/WD-Seagate Drives(x3)
    Sonar 8.5.3 (32bit)/Sonar X3b(64bit)/Pro Tools 9
    Lavry Blue/Black Lion Audio Mod Tango 24/RME Hammerfall Multiface II/UAD Duo

KevinD
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 491
    RE: OT - Jamstix + BFD 2007/06/22 18:33:32 (permalink)
    LionSound

That just made all the difference. Before, I was clocking it down by having all the seperate audio tracks and the CPU was getting in the 20's. This should help that out a lot!

BFD does ROCK. There's the BFD 2 coming around soon from the talk around FXPansion's forums. If you have BFD registered, I'd go on thier forums too, very helpful people on there.

Sonar 6.2.1
    BFD Drums v1.5.45 Q
    Windows XP SP2
    AMD 64 3400+
    2 GB DC RAM 2.0cas
    2x 300 GB SATAIII
    Schecter Basses
    Cold Bud Lights
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1