OT: MOTU: Solution for the No MOTU Device Found error

Author
SteveJL
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4644
2005/08/11 18:48:59 (permalink)

OT: MOTU: Solution for the No MOTU Device Found error

This addresses the error "No MOTU Firewire Device was detected or found" and should apply to Current MOTU Firewire audio interfaces. 828mkii Traveller 896HD or error MOTU Hardware Not Found.

I just did a fresh install of WinXP Home on a new partition and had all kinds of problems getting the MOTU running.

Basically, I followed normal practice of having my 828mkii turned off and Firewire unplugged, installed the driver, powered the PC down, then plugged the 828 Firewire in, powered the 828 on, and rebooted the PC.

I kept getting this error.

The solution lay in:

Run the Driver setup program FROM CD.

Then:

Go to Control Panel - Add Hardware

On the list of Installed Hardware find a Yellow question mark on an item called Unknown Hardware that refers to IEEE1394 (right-mouse then properties, or hover curser over it).

Install that hardware item Manually and when it asks for the CD, put the MOTU install CD in and it will load the driver files into the Windows system folders.

You will then need to reboot and update the drivers to the latest version.

YOU HAVE TO USE THE CD VERSION FOR THE INITIAL INSTALLATION, it would seem, and then pop it in at the right moment for the hardware install. I don't believe any of this is documented, but I could be wrong.

I believe this happens because MOTU stuff is not Plug and Play.

Anyway, wanted to post this experience so it can help others. Hope it helps someone down the road.

4 Replies Related Threads

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: OT: MOTU: Solution for the No MOTU Device Found error 2005/08/11 18:53:17 (permalink)
    Hey Steve,
    Does this happen when you boot or when you start something that
    is ASIO based?
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    ps: i hope I can fix this 'cause its *really* annoying to have to click that stupid
    dialog for everything that enumerates the ASIO drivers.
    SteveJL
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: OT: MOTU: Solution for the No MOTU Device Found error 2005/08/11 18:59:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jmarkham

Hey Steve,
    Does this happen when you boot or when you start something that
    is ASIO based?
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    ps: i hope I can fix this 'cause its *really* annoying to have to click that stupid
    dialog for everything that enumerates the ASIO drivers.

This was during a brand-new, first-time install. Ran the CD, rebooted, connected and powered the 828, went to start - programs - MOTU - FW Audio Console and it says there is no MOTU Firewire devices detected.

ORU posted this same problem with his Traveller on a laptop recently, not sure if he resolved it, or if this would help, but maybe, ya know? I've seen others post the same over the past year too.

I'm still setting up that DAW partition, so haven't tested too much yet. I've never had the problem you're describing.
    post edited by SteveJL - 2005/08/11 19:05:17

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: OT: MOTU: Solution for the No MOTU Device Found error 2005/08/11 19:03:10 (permalink)
    i'll look into it more. in my particular case, I switch between two audio boxes and when the Motu
    isn't connected, i get an annoying dialog saying "warning: it's not connected" in every ASIO app. it's
    mighty annoying....

jeff
    donald
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 424
    Re: OT: MOTU: Solution for the No MOTU Device Found error 2013/07/05 17:12:58 (permalink)
    I have a similar issue whereby I get the error "No MOTU Firewire Device was detected or found" when I use another sound card.

I have a Motu 828 Mk3 (not hybrid unfortunately) in the studio and use an old M-Audio FW410 when travelling. My system is a super quick Dell Precision M4700 on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and Sonar X2a. When the Motu is connected there's no problem, but when I connect the M-Audio instead I get this error at X2 startup. I also can't launch the ASIO control panel for M-Audio from X2s Preferences box.

I don't think I had the same problem running Motu on WDM-drivers but only when I switched to ASIO, as the Motu ASIO-drivers are much better, in my experience.

Anyone found a solution to this problem or have similar issues?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1