Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
wynnsong
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 504
2008/01/10 15:47:14 (permalink)

OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels

Hey All...

I am buying a computer for our mix room that is going to run pro tools (don't start) but I want to be able from time to time use Sonar on the PC side.

Which is better for this, Boot Camp or Parallels? I am loading it with 16gig of ram, which PC o/s would you install? Not sure if Boot CAmp or Parallels even would run XP64....

Any insight is helpful! And no I am not buying a PC....and yes I am running Pro Tools because it's the standard and it does things that sonar can't yet.

Thanks!

33 Replies Related Threads

LionSound
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3616
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/01/10 16:01:42 (permalink)
    Well, the new Macs with Leopard will boot Windows natively. AFAIK its got Boot Camp built in. With 16gigs of RAM you'd need to run a 64-bit OS and then run Sonar64 within it to be able to use all that RAM. Your choices are Vista64 and XP64. The only downer os Vista64 right now is that you can't run audio apps at super low latencies on it. This only hurts you if you are trying to monitor audio through plugins in Sonar whree you'd need super low latency. Otherwise its fine.

www.soundclick.com/lionsound

FirstStrike 1.2 IS RELEASED! www.fsmod.com
    wynnsong
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/01/10 16:57:54 (permalink)
    LionSound...

Hey. Thanks for the reply. I think the problem with Leopard is that Pro Tools 7.4 won't run with it yet... I don't want any part of vista... Have been reading nothing but bad things. If I ran XP Pro (regular) do you think windows would weird out having all of that extra Ram? Or would it just ignore it? I am a little leary of trying to go 64bit across the board as of yet, but if I did, then I would go xp64.

If anybody has tried this let me know...love to keep hearing pro's and con's

Tim
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/01/10 18:14:57 (permalink)
    As to bootcamp or parallels (or fusion, vmware's virtual machine software):
    What type of audio interface are you using? If it's Firewire, you CAN'T use it within virtual machines, so parallels is out altogether (as is fusion). People have been screaming about FW support via virtualization for a long time now, and it hasn't happened yet. I'm assuming there is some type of technical hurdle where this is concerned, but I don't know the details.

Personally, I wouldn't virtualize a DAW operating system anyway... it's just another thing to have to deal with and I'm all about simplicity these days.

Bootcamp works fine on the current run of Macs, BTW. It runs like a Windows machine, since from the perspective of Windows once it boots it IS a Windows machine.
    The new Mac Pro is still too new to know if there are issues, frankly, but I don't foresee any.

As to the 16GB being too much?
    Why stop with 16GB man? They hold 32GB now!!! (kidding... kidding). I haven't had problems running XP Pro 32bit on a machine with 4GB, and I've seen people running with 8GB. I don't THINK it would be an issue, but obviously can't guarantee it. That said, however, I'll be getting a Mac Pro fairly soon with 8GB memory, and I'm putting XP Pro 32bit on it

As for 64bit, that's not supported with bootcamp. Apple supports 32bit only.
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bootcamp.html

Doesn't mean it won't work, and I'm sure people have tried, and maybe succeeded. It just means it's not supported, so you'll likely be on your own where 64bit drivers are concerned. In fact, bootcamp will make a good driver disk for your XP/Vista installation, so being unsupported means that those disks are 32bit drivers only, so they won't work. That leaves you scraping up drivers for all the hardware in the Mac Pro, which you might be able to do, but it would be a lot of work.
    If I were you, I wouldn't do it in a DAW environment, but that's just me.

So, that leaves you with either XP32 or Vista32.
    Frankly, I don't see the point in upgrading a 32bit OS to another 32bit OS. And since you said you're not going near Vista anyway, it looks like XP32 for you. Obviously, you'll need the Pro version to "see" both physical processors.

Hope this helps,
    - zevo
    post edited by inmazevo - 2008/01/10 18:32:51
    wynnsong
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/01/10 19:15:58 (permalink)
    Bingo!

Zevo....Big Help. This answers many questions. The interface I am using will be the digi 192's (pro tools hardware). I can't use leopard out of the gate since PT's doesn't support it yet but a Mac head suggested that I have Tiger on one drive and then Leopard with Boot Camp on another ....now it looks like it will run Windows XP Pro. Now to find the cheapest price on XP Pro!

Thanks Zevo and LS. Can't wait to see what Sonar can do on this beast of a Box!

Tim
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/01/10 19:37:02 (permalink)
    yeah but 32 bit systems can only address 3/4gb so where's the point running x64 sonar on a 16gb ram mac if boot camp only works in x86? you'd need to get a server OS to make it useful, but then there's a heap of other issues...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    DonM
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4129
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/01/10 19:39:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: inmazevo

As to bootcamp or parallels (or fusion, vmware's virtual machine software):
    What type of audio interface are you using? If it's Firewire, you CAN'T use it within virtual machines, so parallels is out altogether (as is fusion). People have been screaming about FW support via virtualization for a long time now, and it hasn't happened yet. I'm assuming there is some type of technical hurdle where this is concerned, but I don't know the details.

Hope this helps,
    - zevo

Same situation here - MacBook Pro - thanks for the advice.

-D

...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/01/10 19:50:48 (permalink)
    Even still, horsepower aside (briefly), bootcamp is the better way to go for performance since there's no virtualization going on consuming precious yummy cpu overhead.

Horsepower back into the equation, I don't know if there's enough to negate that effect (I suspect so with enough but who knows....)

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    mwd
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/01/10 20:07:14 (permalink)
    My buddy just did a fresh install on his iMac to get rid of Parallels to go with Boot Camp and XP Pro.

The Virtual apps are just too sluggish. After setting up Boot Camp and XP the machine is very snappy.
    edd999
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/09/05 19:43:33 (permalink)
    Hi, sorry to drag this thread out (came up in a google search).

I wanted to re-address a point made regarding firewire. I use Windows XP with Boot Camp and have a firewire audio interface. Should it work? I am experiencing problems and pray that there is a work around for it. The drivers appear to install correctly and teh device shows correctly in teh device manager. But I have yet to get any actual audio input from teh device. The firewire indicator on the device doesnt light up.

By the way it works perfectly in OSX lol.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Thank you
    Edd

P.S. If it doesnt work in Boot Camp, could it work in other equivalents (Parallels, VMWare etc.)?
    post edited by edd999 - 2008/09/05 19:45:04
    Graham
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/09/05 19:55:13 (permalink)
    edd

you most likely need to install the Windows firewire updates. Try googling or even at the Apple forums. I couldn't get my MOTU to work until I did this. In Bootcamp by the way. Parallels and VMWare do not support firewire audio interfaces at all although you cn fudge up access to firewire drives.

Good luck. MOTU 828 MkII working perfectly here under Bootcamp running Sonar 7.

Regards

Graham
    post edited by Graham - 2008/09/05 19:57:38

MacPro/Macbook Pro
    edd999
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/09/05 19:56:58 (permalink)
    Graham,

thanks for your quick reply! I think I have all the firewire bits and pieces up to date in Windows. I think its SP3 now that I believe is the msot up to date Pack. Do you have a link to any specific firewire updates that may help me out?

Thank you
    Graham
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/09/05 20:00:25 (permalink)
    Hi edd

If you search my posts you should find a link. I don't post often so it shouldn't be hard. I posted a link before but someone had a problem fidning it if I remember. If you still have a problem finding it i'll try to find it again. It's 08:00 here in brunei and i'm off out to buy another Mac!!! My laptop I use for surfing is on it's last legs and Iwant to get a low spec Macbook for that.

I'll have a look again.

Regards

Graham

MacPro/Macbook Pro
    Graham
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/09/05 20:13:24 (permalink)
    Hi edd

Try this link

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1410278&mpage=2&key=?

Edit I see the problem - link doesn't work. I'll look for it later.

Regards

Graham
    post edited by Graham - 2008/09/05 20:18:37

MacPro/Macbook Pro
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/09/05 20:37:23 (permalink)
    Which is better for this, Boot Camp or Parallels? I am loading it with 16gig of ram, which PC o/s would you install? Not sure if Boot CAmp or Parallels even would run XP64....

With Bootcamp (and the Intel hardware), you *are* running a PC.
    It's just "packaged" as a Mac.

And the answer to your original question is Bootcamp. No comparison...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    tcbetka
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/09/06 06:18:21 (permalink)
    For the OP, regarding the RAM issue...

I have a cousin that works as a computer programmer for a Government organization in California. I was talking to him recently about the prices of the Mac Pro machines, and the extra RAM (it's like $9100 to put in 32GB of RAM!). He told me that his organization was told by Apple that they could just add RAM on their own, as long as it was "high quality" stuff. He didn't give me a brand name. But as I am considering a Mac Pro at some point in the next year or two, he told me to buy the cheapest one from Apple that I could (ie; don't go nuts with add-ons in the configuration page) and then add to it myself. He told me that his organization literally buys hundreds of the Intel Macs, and adds their own RAM and even buys the Mac Pro machines with only one CPU in order to add another CPU on their own in the future. He said they save BIG bucks this way.

So I guess I am suggesting that if you are going to get a Mac Pro machine, it would be worth your while to at least sniff around the Mac forums to see how likely this story is. But if you don't have to pay $2400 for an extra 8GB stick of RAM (current price on their site), then great! For example, there's RAM for a Mac Pro on ebay right now selling for $285 for an 8GB stick...so it may be worth your while to check this out, if you hadn't planned to do so already. My cousin also advised me to save $500 and buy a machine with a *single* Quad core CPU, because the CPUs will likely cost less than $200 in a year or so, and I could just buy another CPU and install it then. Apparently Apple installs the same logic board whether you order one or two Quad core CPUs with the machine.

It's worth a look anyway.

TB

Gretsch drums
    Mackie 1640 Onyx, Firewire I/O
    Audix mics
    Sonar 8.5 PE / Pro Tools LE 7.4
    M-audio MobilePre USB / M-box 2
    Windows XP / Q9450 2.66 GHz Quad / Abit mobo / 4GB RAM
    Seagate 1000, 500, 250, 80 & 80 GB hard drives
    Glyph 120GB firewire drive
    edd999
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/09/06 07:16:19 (permalink)
    OK, an update from me. I was on service pack 3 with XP which doesnt allow you to use the updated youve posted. Im not sure if that mean't that its included in SP3 or not so I ended up uninstalling sP3 and going back to SP2 (i'm becoming desperate). I then installed this update as well as a few others that may have contributed, but I am still getting the exact same problem.

Winodws recognises a device is connected, the drivers install correctly, but the firewire indicator continues not to light up and i cannot get any audio. i have tried switchin on and off, restarting etc. Getting worried now. I keep thinking of different things it could be, the unit itself, the firewire connection etc. btu the fact that i works perfectly in OSX is the weird part. Does anyone have any suggestions? If i was going to ring for support, should i ring mackie or apple?? I dont know where the problem may lie really.

Thank you for your help so far
    Edd
    edd999
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/09/06 07:34:56 (permalink)
    thoguht i woud add one extra piece of information. Ive checked out the Event Viewer in Windows Control Panel to see the reason for programs crashing.

The only warning that comes up in there is the following:

Windows cannot store Bluetooth link keys on the local transceiver because it cannot determine whether proper security is enabled for the device.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Could this be related to my problem?
    tcbetka
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/09/06 07:46:14 (permalink)
    I have never run Boot Camp, but if Windows XP is otherwise functioning normally...it doesn't sound like a Boot Camp problem. I guess what I am saying is that if it isn't a Boot Camp issue, then I wouldn't call Apply--they are likely to tell you to go fly a kite, as their product (Boot Camp) is working fine, because Windows XP is running normally.

So you say that the device shows up correctly in the Device Manager...does this mean that there is no exclamation point or question mark icon next to it? And also, when you click on the device in the Device Manager, Windows correctly identifies the device and tells you that it is functioning correctly?

If so, I think you should try installing the device on another Windows machine (if you haven't already done so) and see if it works OK on that machine. That way you will begin to zoom in on the actual source of the problem.

TB

Gretsch drums
    Audix mics
    edd999
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/09/06 09:17:49 (permalink)
    yeh i guess youre right about apple. im sure they will say that things are functioning correctl as far as boot camp is concerned.

as for the device manager, the device appears correctly, no errors, exlcamation points etc. the driver is correct and fine. i have had the thought of try the device with another windows system, ideally without boot camp but i dont have access to another machine with firewire. which adds to my frustration.

this is another windows update that im trying to install:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=9E8DF3F3-CD0C-4EDB-936A-5F0043E88BB2&displaylang=en

could this be a contributing factor? it will let me download the update but the installation never opens afterwards. no idea why.
    robert.t
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 555
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/09/06 10:40:33 (permalink)

Bootcamp DOES support Vista64. See http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/bootcampupdate21forwindowsvista64.html

From what i can tell. XP64 is not supported though

Rob

Sonar 7 PE, Project 5 v2.5, Reason 3, Dimension Pro, V-Sampler Pro, Emulator X, M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, Mackie Onyx Satellite, Emu 1212M.
    tcbetka
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/09/06 11:12:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: edd999

yeh i guess youre right about apple. im sure they will say that things are functioning correctl as far as boot camp is concerned.

as for the device manager, the device appears correctly, no errors, exlcamation points etc. the driver is correct and fine. i have had the thought of try the device with another windows system, ideally without boot camp but i dont have access to another machine with firewire. which adds to my frustration.

You need to try harder to find someone with a Windows machine and try your firewire device. I really think it would be valuable--even someone with a laptop that could come over. Don't you know anyone?

this is another windows update that im trying to install:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=9E8DF3F3-CD0C-4EDB-936A-5F0043E88BB2&displaylang=en

could this be a contributing factor? it will let me download the update but the installation never opens afterwards. no idea why.

That doesn't seem like it would be causing your problem as far as as I can tell, unless you were trying to use several 1394 devices. It looks as though that patch might be to allow these devices to be numbered, for identification purposes. I am not certain about this though, so maybe someone else will render an opinion--but enumeration simply means to assign an order to some objects.

I really think it would be good for you to try your device on another Windows machine. You may simply have a bad driver or something relatively simple, but you could chase your tail for days on the problem.

TB

EDIT: I had another thought after reading your initial post, and an answer someone gave: If you don't have access to someone with another computer, do you access to another firewire device with *your* computer? If the other device works, then it isn't a firewire problem. Maybe you've already thought of this, but if not then give it a shot.
    post edited by tcbetka - 2008/09/06 11:18:45

Gretsch drums
    Audix mics
    edd999
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/09/06 12:51:56 (permalink)
    well this is the weird thing! In windows run under boot camp i have succesfully used the following:

A firewire harddrive in both FW400 and FW800 ports. Works perfectly
    A USB audio interface (cheap M-audio one). again this work perfectly.

So i can use firewire, i can use a different audio device. but for some annoying reason i cant use a device that combines the two. I am ringing Mackie on monday and hopefully i can get some answers from them. I am also going to start asking around people i know for someone with firewire. I know that really would answer alot of questions testing it on someone elses windows. But i still dont think there can a problem with the device itself because it works fine in OSX.

Computers, dont u just love em.

Thanks for everyones help
    tcbetka
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/09/06 13:12:28 (permalink)
    Well, that sounds like the best idea...to call Mackie. I had a problem with a 1640 Onyx board and the firewire interface, just after I bought it. I called Mackie and they were extremely helpful. Someone had run the firewire cable interface wrong, and the guy on the phone talked me through re-routing it and I was good to go. So I think you have the right idea.

Good luck!

TB

Gretsch drums
    Audix mics
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/09/06 13:29:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: robert.t

Bootcamp DOES support Vista64. See http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/bootcampupdate21forwindowsvista64.html
    From what i can tell. XP64 is not supported though

Indeed, it does now.
    It didn't at the time of my original post, though... that was 8 months ago. Hehehe.
    That's the funny thing about old threads: some advice can become dated and incorrect.

I can't count the times I've said that parallels and fusion don't support FW devices. Once they do, I'll have 50 posts to remember to edit!

As to the Mackie FW not working:
    There was a run of Macbooks and Macbook Pros there for a while with lower powered FW ports, which caused some FW devices to not properly power up.
    Don't know if that might help...

Take care,
    - zevo
    RTGraham
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1824
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/09/06 13:30:17 (permalink)
    It's possible (though I can't guarantee that this is what's happening on your system) that XP is telling your FireWire devices to run at only 1/4 of their possible bandwidth, and it could be causing a problem with your audio device.

There was a "hotfix" that needed to be installed, way back when, to tell Windows XP to run FireWire devices at the proper speed. It's a long story, but the short version goes like this:

A) On the original Windows XP, there was an older version of the 1394 code library that ran FireWire 400 devices without a problem, in most cases.
    B) On Service Pack 2 (SP2), Microsoft updated the library, ostensibly to provide greater compatibility with both FireWire 400 and 800 devices, but in the process forced *all* devices to run at the SLOWEST FIREWIRE SPEED - this was done, in theory, to avoid compatibility problems, but meant that some FireWire audio devices might not work properly anymore.
    C) Service Pack 3 rolls several of the fixes that Microsoft came up with since SP2 into one release, but it's unclear whether the FireWire speed issue is addressed in the package.

So the bottom line is, you should search the web (in particular, the RME website since they had very clear documentation on the issue and how to fix it) and this forum, to find information on the "FireWire hotfix" that was necessary under SP2, since you may still need to install it. There are multiple steps involved - you'll have to download a patch from Microsoft and install it, then do registry modifications for all of your system's FireWire controllers. Make sure to find and follow the full instructions. I realize that you have, to the best of your knowledge, already installed all of the FireWire updates, but perhaps you missed the registry edit steps. Hopefully, this is the source of your problem.
    post edited by RTGraham - 2008/09/06 13:31:57

~~~~~~~~~~
    Russell T. Graham
    Keys, Vocals, Songwriting, Production
    russell DOT graham AT rtgproductions DOT com
    www DOT myspace DOT com SLASH russelltgraham
    tcbetka
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/09/06 15:05:42 (permalink)
    Man, you gotta love Windows...

TB

Gretsch drums
    Audix mics
    edd999
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/09/07 12:30:56 (permalink)
    Cooool. this sounds interesting. im going to do some searching for this information. I have definately not seen anything about registry editing so its certainly something worth trying.

Windows is so annoying, its funny how in OSX everything works perfectly and all you have to do is plug it in. Have microsoft decided to ignore the fact the things can and have been made simpler by other companies? crazy.

ill let u know how i get on. I did get a message from someone else who is having similar problems. Im suprised I havent found any people with similar problems through google. i cant be the only one surely.

Thanks guys
    edd999
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/09/07 12:39:08 (permalink)
    OK Ive found the instructions from microsoft on editing the registry details:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=885222

Before I give this a go I wanted to check one thing. It says:

"After you install this update, if you add a host controller for a new 1394 device to your computer, you must add or modify the SidSpeed entry in the Windows registry for the new 1394 host controller. To do this, follow these steps:"

When it says if you add a host controller for a new device, does that mean that something can be added manually or is a host controller added when i install the drivers for my Mackie Satellite??

Should I install my device drivers, then do the update and then follow the regitry instructions. Or would a different order be better? Or am I missing a step in the process?
    tcbetka
    RE: OT: Mac Pro dudes...For audio Boot Camp or Parallels 2008/09/07 12:41:16 (permalink)
    Well, "works perfectly" is a strong statement for OS X, but I agree...it seems to work exponentially better than Windows does. I had a G4 laptop and was trying to install Mackie's Tracktion application--and it gave me fits trying to get my Onxy 160 board to work. It took a few calls to them to get things up & running, but eventually it did.

But otherwise, I have spent FAR less time messing with Mac stuff than Windows.

TB

Gretsch drums
    Audix mics
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1