OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???)

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
Gamma Goblin
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 56
2008/09/16 01:05:22 (permalink)

OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???)

I just wanted to say that over the last few years of following these forums I've learned so much more than what any book could teach me (except Scott's book of course). It's the real world, practical, every day stuff that really makes a difference in the studio and that's what you fine folks here have provided through the years to the music community. Thanks to you all for that!

That being said, who here has listened to the new Metallica album? The Mixing Engineer absolutely killed every aspect of what a good album should sound like by over compressing and brick-wall limiting every song. I think the "loudness wars" have finally gone over the edge and hopefully this album backfiring sonically will keep Engineers in the future from repeating these kind of mistakes. If anyone here has listened to this album and knows what I'm talking about I would love to read your comments.
http://damn-games.blogspot.com/2008/09/death-magnetic-guitar-hero-mix.html

Cheers!
post edited by Gamma Goblin - 2008/09/16 01:07:45

106 Replies Related Threads

mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 01:39:38 (permalink)
    One of the biggest problems I find with all these over compressed tracks these days is intersample clips. For those that don't know, intersample clipping is when the waveform itself is not actually clipping, but once it gets to your speakers, because it was so compressed to begin with, it still clips. Something like that. I don't know if extreme compression actually does cause it, but either way, you can reduce intersample clips by cutting your total volume by 1dB, giving your amplifier some headroom to play with. 1dB is not really much quieter and much better than the sound of clipping coming through your tweeters. Ozone3 says you only need to cut it by 0.3dB to prevent (usually), but I have found 0.8 necessary to clean up some albums. 1dB to be safe.

I have heard the album. I agree, it sounds bad! Listening to the high end, all your hear is clipping! Turns out it ain't intersample clipping that is causing much of the clipping you hear in it (I tried lowering it), just way too heavily compressed. Very interesting read on the blog by the way! I can see that other album being popular! These mastering engineers are very talented though. To compress it that much and still make all the instruments still stand out is very skilful. Imagine if you tried, it would sound much much worse if you got it that loud. I think that I have read somewhere that most/many? mastering engineers don't like to compress the albums so much, it's just that they are told to by the record companies and the producers. They want a job, and to keep their job, they have to destroy music! Kinda ironic ain't it. Well that's what I have read anyway..

Thing is, most consumers are not going to know. They listen on laptop computers and ipod buds and are happy for the extra volume they can get from these compressed mixes. They don't even notice the constant clipping and distortion. Sure, if you compared a nicely mastered version of this album to the public one at same volumes to them, I'm sure they would pick the difference instantly, but to be honest, I don't think it would really bother most people all that much anyway, which is a shame. So many people I try and force the loudness wars onto and how terrible it is to our music, and time and time again they just really don't give a s@#t. They would rather not talk about it and just listen to some music. Tis a shame.

There have been ideas I have seen before about all albums should start coming out with two versions, a dynamic version and a non dynamic version. Thing is, to most people, they would put them both on and not move the volume knob and go "ohh, the dynamic one sounds really weak and crappy, I like the other one better, it's louder and more full in sound". Because they don't bother to touch the volume knob. If they listened to them at the same volume, then maybe they would understand...

Ok, I think I'm DEFINITELY procrastinating now... Time to get back to my assignment...
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 05:14:35 (permalink)
    problem is, the gear that people use these days isnt as powerful, so a lot of time, the song needs to be very loud because their volume knob doesnt go that loud...

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 05:27:51 (permalink)
    To me the mix sounds like it's old-skool thrash destined for vinyl - very upper-mid heavy - maybe it sounds best on that 5xLP version, huh?

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    tazman
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2435
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 07:41:44 (permalink)
    Another casualty of the loudness war is Bruce Springsteen's latest album, "Magic". I used to be a Springsteen's fan, but this last album was absolutely unlistenable. I bought it and listened to it once. Som eof the songs may be great, but my ears can't stand it.

Same goes for Velvet Revolver's album (whatever the name was). JUst a mush of overdriven guitars and cymbals!!!
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 08:18:29 (permalink)
    Gamma, I'll give ya my take. I'm not a Rick Rubin fan, so that was pretty much a strike against them before I heard the album. What lept out at me instantly, was the lack of bass guitar in the mix and the horrible drum sound. I thought the rhythm guitars sounded pretty good and the songs themselves definitely showed they were trying to get back to their roots. The mono, up the middle lead guitar was very lame sounding as well and it was way too naked for Kirk's playing in my opinion.

I've heard better mixes from the fine folks on this site to be honest. Other than the rhythm guitar tones, nothing on this album was really that great in my opinion. I didn't hear anything super slammed on this to be quite honest. I didn't fire any of the tunes up in my editor to look at the numbers. Though I can hear a bit of clipping at times, it doesn't sound like an overly squashed mix to my ears. The worst I've heard this year were the last Nickelback album, and the latest Motley Crue. Crue takes the cake for intense squashage, lack of dynamics, and production they should be ashamed of....considering some of the songs on that are actually quite good and I'm not, and never have been, a Crue fan.

I think Metallica are on the right track though...and maybe the best is yet to come. I've never been a fan of their music, but always appreciated them for helping pave the way to acceptable radio metal. You know it's funny, most of the newer engineers I speak to, seem to be taught not to experiment and add any life to a mix with effects etc. I hear "that's to polished, that's too effected, that's too this" etc. That leaves them with what, raw tracks and compression? LMAO!! I just don't get it. Some people may disagree with me, but to me, country music and pop has some of the best production material can have. I can appreciate something that is raw and great as much as I can appreciate something that's been processed and majorly produced. Why people down one over the other is beyond me.

I recently made a new engineer friend of mine experiment with a slightly gated verb on his snare. He's been taught it's taboo and "so 80's" to use something like that. So I said "just try it in moderation, you don't have to go for a 1989 Bonjovi snare for God sakes....just make the thing have a bit of sustain and help it crack a bit better." He tried it and loves it now...next step is to get him to produce vox a little more wet. It seems like their rule of thumb is to use effects to where you can barely hear them. In my opinion, why use the effect if you can't hear it? Granted, we don't need to make ANY effects dominate to where the color the raw energy so much it just sounds bad, but it sure is nice to produce something and make it come to life with a few extra tools of the trade. I felt this is what Metallica could have done as well. They are still heavy hitters in the industry and though they may want to come off raw sounding, this may have been a bit too raw. I say if you got the production tricks, flaunt them. Worry about pulling it off live when you have to or just don't record anything that can't be duplicated. I produce the heck out of my stuff, and I've always pulled everything off live. I dug a few tunes on this album but I doubt I'll be playing it much....it's just not for me. Just my opinion though. :)
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2008/09/16 08:23:43

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Sub Audio
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 08:18:52 (permalink)
    I drastically reduced my CD buying after I bought Depeche Mode's "Playing With Angels" album. The songs are great but I can't listen to it all the way through, the mastering was dreadful. I've pushed my own mixes too hot previously (through inexperience with mixing) and am now making a conscious effort to let them breathe a bit more.

http://www.myspace.com/rikinrunstop

Always thinking 'bout the situation.
    Never seem to want to find the time
    DW_Mike
    Max Output Level: -6 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6907
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 09:21:26 (permalink)
    Pick a song, any song off the new Metallica album and import it into Sonar. Now if you watch the Main meters you'll notice something, THEY DON'T MOVE.....EVER . Not one sliver of a hint of dynamics left to this album anywhere.
    This really does have to stop.

Mike

Sonar X3 ~ Scarlett 18i6 ~ Home Build DAW  
    GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
    32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite (4x8) 
    2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
    1TB WD Black HDD @ 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB 
    Corsair H80i Liquid cooler 
    Noctua Silent Fans ~ 3x120mm ~ 1x140mm 
    Seasonic Platinum 760w PSU 
    Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
    Hansenhaus
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 09:23:35 (permalink)
    St. Anger was horrible as well. There is no excuse for this BS and I'm totally sick of it.

Eric
    post edited by Hansenhaus - 2008/09/16 09:26:16

Eric Hansen
    My Website 
    Live Videos
    Acoustic Guitar Pickups
     ---------------
    Core i7 2600K
    Intel DP67BG 
    16GB RAM
    RME HDSP9652 (ASIO)
    Windows 10 x64
    Sonar Platinum x64 (English)

Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 10:26:18 (permalink)
    I sat down and listened to this one with the wife. She has been a fan since the more commercial black album as where I used to listen to the guys back when they still had Mustaine. All I had to say after about the third track was oh no, what happened? Did they let Lars and James back on the board? It sent me right back to ...And Justice For All, which to some extent had some of the same problems. I heard the band was more involved in the mix down and final cut and it shows.

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

plainfaced
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1617
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 10:28:52 (permalink)
    I hope the new AC/DC album is better!

Sonar Professional | Reason 8 | Propellerheads Balance | Windows 10
    s_barber
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 390
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 10:31:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tazman

Another casualty of the loudness war is Bruce Springsteen's latest album, "Magic". I used to be a Springsteen's fan, but this last album was absolutely unlistenable. I bought it and listened to it once. Som eof the songs may be great, but my ears can't stand it.

Same goes for Velvet Revolver's album (whatever the name was). JUst a mush of overdriven guitars and cymbals!!!

Well, I thought the EXACT same thing when I listened to "Magic". I bought it and was going to use it as a reference CD but there was no way when I mixed/mastered my CD. Listen HERE.

A friend of mine and I tried to listen to it again last weekend but alas....it still sounded the same. Espicially "Radio Nowhere". The first 4 or 5 songs sounded like everything was squashed into a can with reverb. Right again....I think the last couple songs were finally tame enough to enjoy. It really is a shame.

Listem Here. My web site http://www.lamejohnnycreek.com/. Dell Laptop, 1 GB, 160 GB FW, EMU 1616M, M-Audio 88, Sonar 6 PE, Ozone, CD Arc, EZ, Dim, Dahlia Violin, G & L Guitar.
    bunkaroo
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 10:37:49 (permalink)
    Unless I am blind I can't find a mastering credit on the liner notes. Are we to assume it was mastered by the same people who mixed it?

Also agree with the above - why get a monster bass player like Trujillo if you're just going to bury him in the mix? What a waste.
    plainfaced
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1617
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 10:39:15 (permalink)
    I just have to say, Im a fan of heavily compressed masters.. On certain tracks that is.
    I really do like the sound

Sonar Professional | Reason 8 | Propellerheads Balance | Windows 10
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 11:00:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Gamma Goblin

I just wanted to say that over the last few years of following these forums I've learned so much more than what any book could teach me (except Scott's book of course). It's the real world, practical, every day stuff that really makes a difference in the studio and that's what you fine folks here have provided through the years to the music community. Thanks to you all for that!

That being said, who here has listened to the new Metallica album? The Mixing Engineer absolutely killed every aspect of what a good album should sound like by over compressing and brick-wall limiting every song. I think the "loudness wars" have finally gone over the edge and hopefully this album backfiring sonically will keep Engineers in the future from repeating these kind of mistakes. If anyone here has listened to this album and knows what I'm talking about I would love to read your comments.
    http://damn-games.blogspot.com/2008/09/death-magnetic-guitar-hero-mix.html

Cheers!

You think that's bad.. you could (almost) expect that on a Metallica album, the first one I noticed that got "smashered" (I just coined that word... but you can use it) was Rush - Vapor Trails. Rush is music that lives on dynamics and most of the content on Vapor Trials is clipped waves.

It's so bad that if you calculated how much of the music is clipped off you are only getting about 70% of the content when you buy the CD.... the rest is missing (flat line).

Watch how loud you play that stuff, most tweeters were not designed for constant clipping and the voice coil could overheat... I'm just saying.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 11:11:00 (permalink)
    If you haven't seen the "Some Kind of Monster" documentary video about Metallica, I highly recommend it.

Most of the press on this video dwelt on the band's psychological issues and group therapy. That part's pretty lame - a bunch of whiny, overpaid rock stars gazing at their navels.

Far more interesting is the candid look at the creative process. If I were a member of that band, I would be embarrassed.

What you see are players who are competent at their instruments and comfortable with the genre, but in every other aspect of songwriting and record-making are really talentless hacks. If they did in fact mix and master this record themselves, that would explain a lot.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    ohhey
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 11:28:09 (permalink)
    There is a rumor floating around that the loudness wars are really a record company marketing ploy to be able to sell the album again in the future (at least one more time) as "remastered" for those who want the actual HiFi mix. They can't count on a format change again from CD to something else like they did with cassette and LP to be able to get additional revenue from each album so they are making the first edition as bad as possible so they have the option of coming out with an "improved" version (the real mix) later so they can sell it again.

And if there is a new format they can claim that the CD sounded bad because of "limitations" in the CD format and that you should buy the new format because it allows them to finally deliver the full dynamic range of the master.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 11:43:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ohhey

There is a rumor floating around that the loudness wars are really a record company marketing ploy to be able to sell the album again in the future (at least one more time) as "remastered" for those who want the actual HiFi mix. They can't count on a format change again from CD to something else like they did with cassette and LP to be able to get additional revenue from each album so they are making the first edition as bad as possible so they have the option of coming out with an "improved" version (the real mix) later so they can sell it again.

And if there is a new format they can claim that the CD sounded bad because of "limitations" in the CD format and that you should buy the new format because it allows them to finally deliver the full dynamic range of the master.

Ah! in other words, rank profiteering.

Can't say I'm totally shocked. Another fine example of record company non-ethics.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 12:14:24 (permalink)
    There is a rumor floating around that the loudness wars are really a record company marketing ploy to be able to sell the album again in the future (at least one more time) as "remastered" for those who want the actual HiFi mix.

Consumer conditioning. Sort of like charging $4.50 for a gallon of gas so that $3.50 will seem like a bargain?

Hilarious, when you think about it. I remember when AC/DC first came out on CD, to much derision at the time - the idea that metal music could somehow benefit from the increased dynamic range of the new format. Of course, even the pop metal music of that era sounds dynamic by today's standards.
    post edited by bitflipper - 2008/09/16 12:18:40

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    AJ_0000
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 738
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 12:15:50 (permalink)
    I downloaded it off of iTunes. Since I don't have the CD I may not be getting the full picture, but there is definitely some distortion going on (and I don't mean the guitars). I'm not convinced it's all limiting, though. It almost sounds more like they're clipping the converters or the console. I seem to remember Rick Rubin doing a lot of that crap in the past. You can get a squared off waveform with a limiter, but you also get it by running a signal ten times too hot through an input until it melts down. I've done it by accident. Sounds like they were doing it on purpose.

I've never been big on metal, but I had friends who were when I was a kid, and I remember being subjected to Master of Puppets and ...And Justice For All. They are definitely laying down some old school business on this album.
    post edited by AJ_0000 - 2008/09/16 12:20:19
    ohhey
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 14:20:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: AJ_0000

I downloaded it off of iTunes. Since I don't have the CD I may not be getting the full picture, but there is definitely some distortion going on (and I don't mean the guitars). I'm not convinced it's all limiting, though. It almost sounds more like they're clipping the converters or the console. I seem to remember Rick Rubin doing a lot of that crap in the past. You can get a squared off waveform with a limiter, but you also get it by running a signal ten times too hot through an input until it melts down. I've done it by accident. Sounds like they were doing it on purpose.

I've never been big on metal, but I had friends who were when I was a kid, and I remember being subjected to Master of Puppets and ...And Justice For All. They are definitely laying down some old school business on this album.

I don't think we are talking about distortion or clipping inside the content but below 0 on the CD. When you look at the wave in a wav editor you can see it going all the way up to zero and clipping off. Some of the clips are as long as a half second of nothing but flat line. That's not a result of one track in the mix, that is the entire mix going beyond the 16bits available on the CD. If you zoom out it looks like one big block of color flat on both sides.

If a CD had been made like that back in the early days of CD it would have been recalled as defective (not within the red book spec). But today the CD is being sold like that, and considered "correct".
    ohhey
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 15:11:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bitflipper

There is a rumor floating around that the loudness wars are really a record company marketing ploy to be able to sell the album again in the future (at least one more time) as "remastered" for those who want the actual HiFi mix.

Consumer conditioning. Sort of like charging $4.50 for a gallon of gas so that $3.50 will seem like a bargain?

Hilarious, when you think about it. I remember when AC/DC first came out on CD, to much derision at the time - the idea that metal music could somehow benefit from the increased dynamic range of the new format. Of course, even the pop metal music of that era sounds dynamic by today's standards.

I predict there will be audiophile magazine reviews of those re-releases thanking the record company for being so kind to re-release the album and claiming that studio technology must have improved a lot since 2008 to make such a good sounding mix possible. LOL ! It's the perfect crime !!... customers thanking you for ripping them off.

This is clear payback for the old Napster days. In fact, these new masters are great copy protection. If you try to MP3 those CDs you get total trash. The MP3 encoder works by removing stuff that you would not hear based on masking from louder stuff. When all elements of the mix are loud and in the forground the process breaks down.
    post edited by ohhey - 2008/09/16 15:15:52
    Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 15:23:15 (permalink)
    is this kinda liek the 80's marketing scam that the coca cola company did.. came out with new coke... which was awful .. then hurry up and discontinued it and them re-name the old or good stuff "classic coke"... I think that was some sorta marketing scam too from what i remeber .. but it worked and I remeber resding they made a ton of money from "classic coke" (shrugs)

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 15:37:40 (permalink)
    I'd like to see waveforms. Can anyone screen grab something from the new record versus something from Master of Puppets?

Pro-rec did this using samples from Rush's catalog and you could clearly chart the over-compression as the years went on.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    AJ_0000
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 15:53:47 (permalink)

I don't think we are talking about distortion or clipping inside the content but below 0 on the CD. When you look at the wave in a wav editor you can see it going all the way up to zero and clipping off. Some of the clips are as long as a half second of nothing but flat line. That's not a result of one track in the mix, that is the entire mix going beyond the 16bits available on the CD. If you zoom out it looks like one big block of color flat on both sides.

If a CD had been made like that back in the early days of CD it would have been recalled as defective (not within the red book spec). But today the CD is being sold like that, and considered "correct".

It's possible they may have clipped the master bus or some other step in the stereo process. The reason I question it is because usually an extreme limiter will dull the high end, but this seems to be the opposite--extremely harsh distortion in the high frequencies. There is another possibility though, which is that they did crush it with the limiter, and then the mastering engineer tried to bring back the top with extreme EQ. Whatever it is, it will make your ears bleed.
    ohhey
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 16:03:31 (permalink)

It's possible they may have clipped the master bus or some other step in the stereo process. The reason I question it is because usually an extreme limiter will dull the high end, but this seems to be the opposite--extremely harsh distortion in the high frequencies. There is another possibility though, which is that they did crush it with the limiter, and then the mastering engineer tried to bring back the top with extreme EQ. Whatever it is, it will make your ears bleed.

If the wave if clipped at zero on the CD there is no way to tell now, anything above that is just gone. Now, if they had droped it down a half db before it went to CD then yes, you would be able to tell if it was like that in the 24bit master or if it happened going to 16bit. But they would have to leave a gap between the top of the wave and the "wall" on the CD so you could determine that. The CDs I've seen are all the way to the wall, so there is no way to tell when and where it happened or what might or might not have been up there.... it's just not there.

Really doesn't matter, even if there were a gap it would still play the same on the CD player and cause your amp and tweeters to try to reproduce the sharp edges of the clips..... not good for the gear or your ear.
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 16:04:21 (permalink)
    Rush is music that lives on dynamics and most of the content on Vapor Trials is clipped waves.

Great example of poor mixing/mastering
    It absolutely ruins the album for me...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    higain_guitar
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 294
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 16:16:47 (permalink)
    The new metallica album is definitely too loud, but overall it is way better than St. Anger. The loudness wars have to stop. I'm a proponent of Bob Katz K-system...
    AJ_0000
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 16:20:07 (permalink)

If the wave if clipped at zero on the CD there is no way to tell now, anything above that is just gone. Now, if they had droped it down a half db before it went to CD then yes, you would be able to tell if it was like that in the 24bit master or if it happened going to 16bit. But they would have to leave a gap between the top of the wave and the "wall" on the CD so you could determine that. The CDs I've seen are all the way to the wall, so there is no way to tell when and where it happened or what might or might not have been up there.... it's just not there.

Really doesn't matter, even if there were a gap it would still play the same on the CD player and cause your amp and tweeters to try to reproduce the sharp edges of the clips..... not good for the gear or your ear.

Just so we're clear...there is a difference between a heavy-handed limiter that comes in under 0 (which you hear a lot of if you turn on Top 40 radio) and what may be the case here, which is the whole album going over 0 at some step in the process.
    ohhey
    RE: OT: Metallica Mixing Engineer (What was he thinking???) 2008/09/16 16:37:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jim Roseberry

Rush is music that lives on dynamics and most of the content on Vapor Trials is clipped waves.

Great example of poor mixing/mastering
    It absolutely ruins the album for me...

That was the exact album that started the conversation about loudness wars, it's the poster child. When the Limp Bizkit CD came out it was worse but there was no outcry over that one. When it happened to Rush... people cried foul.
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1