OT Mixing with ipod ear buds

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
DonM
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4129
RE: OT Mixing with ipod ear buds 2008/12/21 09:07:23 (permalink)
Clearly the distinction we are talking about here is the the difference between mixing on earbuds and checking a mix on earbuds. Big difference. I check my mix on about 5 to 7 different speaker systems (including my car) when I am given the opportunity to do what I call an "A" mix - an "A" mix is when I say it's done, not the client or A/R person. a "B" mix is deadline bound (sometimes within 24 hours) and I can't do all of the checks I'd like.

So for an A mix, I once had a client go through 4 versions with buds as his final test, but the album was for iTunes exclusive release - buds made sense to him, I never listened to it on buds. He was happy. I mix on Mackies almost exclusively, and check on many things - but this thread has reminded me that I have gotten away from headphones for just about every check over the past three years - maybe I'm missing something!?

-D

guitartrek
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2842
RE: OT Mixing with ipod ear buds 2008/12/21 09:31:13 (permalink)
DonM - you are clearly a professional expert and have a great setup. When you do a mix and it sounds great on ear buds right away you don't need to add ear buds to your list of checking devices. I don't have a good setup, nor the experience you have. I check in my car and now on ear buds, more out of conveinience than anything. I have a mobile DAW and a home studio. I can do a lot of non-mixing work (arrangement stuff, soft synth tweaking, etc) sitting on the couch, etc. Ear buds are a lot lighter and easier to deal with than carrying my bigger studio headphones all over the house. But then I noticed things in my mixes that weren't apparent on my studio monitors which helped me get a better mix. And it got me thinking that a lot of people that listen to my music do it with ipods, and maybe I can kill two birds with one stone. I have to resist the temptation to acually do "mixing" on them though.
wormser
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 984
RE: OT Mixing with ipod ear buds 2008/12/21 11:54:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dooleydog

plus the stock ones are extremely uncomfortable. are anybody's ear holes THAT big?

And I thought I was the only one who has that problem.
They downright HURT!

So what's the trick to inserting these things?

(I'm too embarrassed to ask my teenagers)

FWIW I usually use a set of Sony, near the top of the line, ear buds.
They are more of the canal type and are very soft.
Sound is ok, but nothing to write home about.
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
RE: OT Mixing with ipod ear buds 2008/12/21 12:04:40 (permalink)
While we are at it...I bought M-Audio IE-30 IEM for use with my laptop when they were launched, and I never really got used to them. They sound great, but I find very difficult to adjust them properly, and the slightest variation in their position inside the ear canal seems to have a huge impact in the way they sound. I am puzzled by this, because they are marketed as suitable for critical listening, and reviews seemed to agree. I am sure that properly custom fitted they would sound consistently enough, but with the suplied tips it is too hit and miss for me. Is it that my ear canals are the wrong shape , or is this a common problem with this things?

I have not pursued this myself, but I have read that you can go to an audiologist (hearing-aid guy) and have a custom sleeve made just for your ears. This is apparently standard procedure for the really high-end in-ear monitors (the ones that go for $1K+ that you see in use as stage monitors on live TV performances).

It sounds like a potentially great solution. Apparently my ear canal is smaller than normal, a fact that only became evident when I discovered that most of the standard sleeves were too big and I had to use the smallest ones available. Getting a good fit makes all the difference when it comes to consistency of sound quality.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Crg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7719
RE: OT Mixing with ipod ear buds 2008/12/21 12:11:52 (permalink)
Well, it sounds like making a mix for CD-DVD audio and making a different mix for Mp-3 players might be the option. Make the MP-3 mix using IEM's? Different mixs for film are already a mainstay. I wondering if the differences heard through the earbuds is partly due to the Mp-3 formating.

Craig DuBuc
Tom F
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2749
RE: OT Mixing with ipod ear buds 2008/12/21 12:23:45 (permalink)
may i remember that the op never stated that he wanted to mix with earphones?
he wrote: "Anybody else using ear buds to check mixes? "
btw: just in case he would be able to mix well with earphones (which i do NOT believe) it would be ok too..

...trying to be polite... quick temper...trying to be...
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
RE: OT Mixing with ipod ear buds 2008/12/21 13:06:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bitflipper

I have not pursued this myself, but I have read that you can go to an audiologist (hearing-aid guy) and have a custom sleeve made just for your ears. This is apparently standard procedure for the really high-end in-ear monitors (the ones that go for $1K+ that you see in use as stage monitors on live TV performances).

Those can start at a little less than half of that cost....complete with the drivers.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

guitartrek
RE: OT Mixing with ipod ear buds 2008/12/21 13:21:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: info@tomflair.com

may i remember that the op never stated that he wanted to mix with earphones?
he wrote: "Anybody else using ear buds to check mixes? "
btw: just in case he would be able to mix well with earphones (which i do NOT believe) it would be ok too..

Thanks for the reminder. Yeah - the title of this thread is "Mixing with ipod ear buds" which is a little misleading, but it catches attention. But I do not mix with ear buds. I really have to resist grabing for any volume faders or EQ settings while listening on the ear buds! I learned my lesson long ago that even mixing on good headphones isn't a great choice. For some reason, putting a lot of air inbetween the sound source and my ears is the best.
guitartrek
RE: OT Mixing with ipod ear buds 2008/12/21 16:13:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Crg

Well, it sounds like making a mix for CD-DVD audio and making a different mix for Mp-3 players might be the option. Make the MP-3 mix using IEM's? Different mixs for film are already a mainstay. I wondering if the differences heard through the earbuds is partly due to the Mp-3 formating.

I'm not sure. To tell you the truth I haven't been able to tell much (or any) difference between a decent MP3 file and a wave file coming out of my studio monitors (so much for my ears!). But the ear buds definitely reduce the bottom end. However, if you press them into your ears, the bottom comes back pretty well. Thing is, when people listen to them they are not smashing them into their ears, so the upper range gets the focus. I don't know but probably from 150hz on up. Not sure if you need a different mix or not for the MP3's. People are listening to the same commercial CD's on speakers and ear buds.
wormser
RE: OT Mixing with ipod ear buds 2008/12/21 17:08:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: guitartrek

ORIGINAL: Crg

I'm not sure. To tell you the truth I haven't been able to tell much (or any) difference between a decent MP3 file and a wave file coming out of my studio monitors (so much for my ears!).

If it's 192 or above depending upon the music you may not hear a difference.
I don't always hear a difference either.
Listen more for phase type problems, swishing, flanger type noise and so forth rather than frequency response and you will begin to notice the difference more.

But again, it depends on the music.
Stuff with a lot of high frequency content like big bang jazz, symphonic music with a lot of cymbals in it tend to be very revealing with mp3 files.

IOW it's more the *mixing* of the high frequency sounds with the rest of the spectrum during the encode/decode process that screws things up.
Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
RE: OT Mixing with ipod ear buds 2008/12/21 20:11:48 (permalink)
To Guitartrek and wormser:
I can't hear much difference either, but there have been a few threads in the forum discussing how converting to MP3 creates a file that is prone to peaking-redlining due to the conversion-compression process involveed in encoding to MP3.
The OP didn't really say ( I don't think) whether it was in MP3 format but it was itunes. The whole thing, recording with headphones, mixing with monitors, checking with earbuds and the difference between earbuds and In Ear Monitors and the frequency response and representation of each is certainly a headache. My MP3's didn't sell because the listeners ears were too small?

Craig DuBuc
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
RE: OT Mixing with ipod ear buds 2008/12/21 21:17:32 (permalink)
Sorry the logic of this whole thing escapes me. On first noting that some do a great deal of testing on "other systems" seems on first blush a reasonable approach . Further the notion that one should check a mix via ear buds for ipod consumption again seems a great idea. The problem I have with all of this as an approach is that two basic things are missed. First since when was any audio meant for the ipod unless its speach? Second it seems as if by testing on a number of systems that one could be sure of a good sounding mix by doing that. I look at it very differently. If you think that what systems you use to "test" the mix on is most likely going to be a one of a kind in the real world. Outside of an audio lab with very controlled instruments and environment its very unlikely to reproduce any results you may get from doing this. The question is who else has that system in that room of yours? The answer no one.

The idea of mixing is to create the best sounding mix with full frequency response and hi-light those parts that should be prominent. The lead vocal for example should be clearly heard over the backing tracks. Mixing was and is done on suitable monitors with no care taken to mix to the lowest common system (boom box) type system. The notion that it needs testing on a number system goes against the notion of what mixing is all about. We have seen on a very few occasions where bands have offered alternative mixes. As a rule they don't do all that well. A song or a performance that is recorded is a thing of itself. It is not the song played live or a performance done live. It is its own thing. The mixer needs to be able to create this thing that will on its own stand alone above and apart from any other mix. If not its a poor mix or not well thought out to begin with. In a way its like a photograph that is capturing a moment in time. It will look great if the darkroom does it job right as will the mix if the mixer does his/her job right. But you don't need to check it in any other darkroom to know if its good or not.

One point is that so many people rip songs to whatever and no consideration was given to those songs for this use when they were mixed. Why should we do any different? If we do as they did we should get the same quality as they got.

In the end if you can't trust your mixing setup then its time to get a better setup.

Best
John
wormser
RE: OT Mixing with ipod ear buds 2008/12/21 22:15:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: John

Sorry the logic of this whole thing escapes me.

The logic is that you mix to your audience.
Is this correct?
Depends.

Let's face it, our audience today is the iPod crowd.
Like it or not, that's the target.

DOn't believe it?
Quick, name 3 "hi fi" shops in your town.
Guess what?
Back in 1970 you probably could.

Today?
Try BestBuy...

Personally, as a musician,audiophile,engineer,my feeling is if my mix is full range it will sound good on anything reasonable.
However I still know my audience is using white ear buds.

Grain of salt and all that.....

guitartrek
RE: OT Mixing with ipod ear buds 2008/12/21 22:28:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wormser

Let's face it, our audience today is the iPod crowd.

That's true. I gave my CD to a friend of mine's son who is in college. He took the CD and quickly ripped it into his itunes, uploaded into his ipod and GAVE ME BACK THE CD! He says he listens to my CD on his ipod at full volume! (ouch!)
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
RE: OT Mixing with ipod ear buds 2008/12/21 23:40:30 (permalink)
I guess I am not doing a good job of getting my point across. Lets look at it from another tack. The basic idea of any reproductive device is to be as close to hi fi as possible. Obviously small devices are going to be very handicapped by their size. That doesn't mean that they are incapable of decent reproduction even though we would prefer a more capable system. None the less its still going to be best if we strive for the best sound possible. In the end the device will not suffer for this but it will be able to get as much as is there out within its capabilities. Anyone ever listened to the hold music on most phone systems? The people that make that stuff do mix in a way for the bandwidth of the worst phone system around. That is one big reason why it sounds so bad. They know that many phone systems cut high and low frequencies leaving the most often used ones free the speech frequencies. This is more a tradition now then actually needed. But the songs that are put on these systems generally are not full range in frequencies so they can stuff as much junk, I mean music as they can in to the system on as little media as possible. If we follow the same philosophy our stuff will begin to sound a little like that stuff. Make your best mix and it will sound good on anything.
post edited by John - 2008/12/21 23:45:53

Best
John
guitartrek
RE: OT Mixing with ipod ear buds 2008/12/22 00:14:39 (permalink)
John - I agree with you. I don't have an ideal setup with my monitors away from the wall so many feet and and equilateral triangle, and a lot of sound absorption material, perfect acoustics, etc. I wish I had the room, but I don't. So I listen on a lot of different speaker systems to check things out.

One day I happened to listen on my daughter's ipod ear buds and noticed an imbalance in my mix that I didn't notice on my full range speakers. I fixed it (not on the ear buds, but on my full range monitors). I was glad that I used the ear buds, otherwise I might not have noticed it. And then it got me thinking that if more and more people listen on ear buds, I better make sure my mix sounds good on them. Not that I am going to mix for them exlusively - I still mix for a full frequeny range. Like you said, if it's a good mix it will sound good on the ear buds.
Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
RE: OT Mixing with ipod ear buds 2008/12/22 08:57:55 (permalink)
Anybody else using ear buds to check mixes?

Great idea for referencing... (standard headphones can often reveal similar issues)
But you wouldn't want to rely on ear-buds (soley) for mixing.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1